Penalty Strokes

Ever call one on yourself?
I played a round of golf yesterday and for the first time in probably 5-10 years I actually had to call a penalty stroke on myself. My ball was next to the green, 25 yards away on a steep up slope. The grass was bermuda, so naturally my lie was a "floater". I set my club down to pitch and the ball moved back six inches. I called the penalty and then got up and down for bogey. I've never had this happen, but learned a little about myself regarding honesty on the course. I guess I could say that I was proud of the fact that cheating never even crept into my head. I attribute Dr. Bob Rotella's, "The Golfers Mind", chapter entitled "perfectionsist", for giving me the insight to realize that me calling a penalty stroke was just one miniscule imperfection in my round and it really wasn't that big of a deal. Reading random chapters in this book over and over before my rounds is really helping me prepare. Heck, it's almost like talking to the Doc before I play. Anyone else do this?, read the book? or call a penalty on yourself lately?

913D3 - Diamana D+ 72x
910Fd - Motore Sp. VC 8.2x
712CB - KBS Tour S+
SM4 - KBS Tour S
2014 Fastback
ProV1x

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I have. In the city amateur event a number of years ago, I hit a shot from a steep greenside bunker. The ball caught the face of the bunker shot up in the air and came back down barely brushing my shirt as I was trying to get out of the way. I told the guys in my group and they all said..."We didn't see it hit you." Told them it did, called the penalty on myself and went on. It is just the right thing to do.

Yes and it still bugs me to this day. I was leading my club championship by a million after 2 rounds and had family to the cottage. After a few drinks on the beach we headed over to the club to play a couple of holes and had to DQ myself for practicing on the course between rounds!!! My only caveat was that it was a full day break until the next round so I was in the grey but didn't fight it.

[quote name='hogan64' date='01 March 2010 - 01:24 PM' timestamp='1267467847' post='2285631']
You are a better person for doing so. I believe that these actions carry over to everyday life. The game of golf is about much more than competition, it can truly be a reflection of ones character. Well done.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, it does help 10 years later!! What hurt most was I set the competitive course record in the 2nd round and it would've beat my first coach who told me I would never make it as a player because I would never be tall enough to hit it long. grrrr this thread hurts.

This year, first hole. Driver, wedge into 6 feet and when lining up the putt for birdie I nudged the ball and it turned 1/3 revolution. Stepped back and called penalty on myself.

No point in kidding yourself, if you don't call penalty on yourself in the little then you may as well go the whole hog and cheat as much as you can at every chance.

[quote name='Extreme Firepower' date='02 March 2010 - 11:44 AM' timestamp='1267548272' post='2287901']
This year, first hole. Driver, wedge into 6 feet and when lining up the putt for birdie I nudged the ball and it turned 1/3 revolution. Stepped back and called penalty on myself.

No point in kidding yourself, if you don't call penalty on yourself in the little then you may as well go the whole hog and cheat as much as you can at every chance.
[/quote]

+1

That's why I go the "whole hog".

This fall I was in a bunker that also had leaves in it. A leaf blew in behind my ball, and just before I took my backswing the leaf raised up a touch by the breeze, and I touched it on my backswing.

It still hurts. I've been waiting to complain to somebody, and this thread seems like it might be the place.

[quote name='Sawgrass' date='02 March 2010 - 12:17 PM' timestamp='1267550223' post='2287967']
This fall I was in a bunker that also had leaves in it. A leaf blew in behind my ball, and just before I took my backswing the leaf raised up a touch by the breeze, and I touched it on my backswing.

It still hurts. I've been waiting to complain to somebody, and this thread seems like it might be the place.

[/quote]

You're not allowed to touch a leaf in the bunker?

snapback.pngSawgrass, on 02 March 2010 - 12:17 PM, said:

im pretty sure that isnt a penalty if it was in your backswing. the backswing is part of the stroke so it shouldnt have mattered

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

snapback.pngSawgrass, on 02 March 2010 - 12:17 PM, said:

im pretty sure that isnt a penalty if it was in your backswing. the backswing is part of the stroke so it shouldnt have mattered

Please see definition of "Stroke." Very tough rule...

Stroke

A "stroke" is the forward movement of the club made with the intention of striking at and moving the ball, but if a player checks his downswing voluntarily before the clubhead reaches the ball he has not made a stroke.

13-4/33 Bunker Covered by Leaves; Player Touches Leaves During Backswing

Q. A player hits a ball into a bunker which is covered by leaves (loose impediments). The player removes as many leaves as will enable him to see a part of the ball in accordance with Rule 12-1. If the player then touches some of the leaves on his backswing, is he in breach of the Rules?

A. Yes. If the player touches leaves on his backswing, he is in breach of Rule 13-4c which prohibits a player from touching a loose impediment in a hazard before making a stroke in the hazard. A stroke does not begin until after the completion of the player's backswing — see Definition of "Stroke."

If fallen leaves in bunkers seasonally create an abnormal problem, the Committee may make a Local Rule declaring accumulations of leaves in bunkers to be ground under repair. Rule 25-1b(ii) would then apply.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' date='02 March 2010 - 01:03 PM'

. . . If fallen leaves in bunkers seasonally create an abnormal problem, the Committee may make a Local Rule declaring accumulations of leaves in bunkers to be ground under repair. Rule 25-1b(ii) would then apply.

I've gotta remember to send the Committe a case of wine before the season starts. I think I want those guys on my side. wink.gif