Tasty Ram 80's set up

Shafts are.

Irons: Brunswick Frequency Matched Precision Rifles 6.0s

Woods. Frequency Matched Dynamic Golds 265 cpm on the labels

The PW from the set sits beautifully. Virtually no offset, squared toe, thin top line and very square leading edge.

1 iron has a frighteningly small head and a sole like a razor blade.

I had a set of RAM's several years ago, in a rather similar mock croc red and white bag. You're spot on about the PW - it sits behind the ball like a peach. Always a fan of the TW wedges too - I never had a Becu one, but I had the 53* in Cobalt with the 'spin grooves' - it kept sharp for years. I also had a rather nifty 'Troon Grind' with the cut away sole. Excellent irons and excellent wedges.good.gif

I'd recommend the Sportsman "Original" Wizard 600 from the 80s, though Kevin's call on the Zebra would also be an excellent choice.

That will mainly depend on whether you're a heel-shafted guy or a mallet guy.

Are the irons reshafted? I know the old Ram Tour Grinds came with Precision (Brunswick) FCM shafts, but they were the stepped shafts. Rifles didn't come out until the late 80s. The original FCM stepped and the FM Lite shafts were outstanding shafts. It's a shame they abandoned them to go with Rifle technology.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='stage1350' date='05 March 2010 - 02:33 PM' timestamp='1267821218' post='2295389']
I'd recommend the Sportsman "Original" Wizard 600 from the 80s, though Kevin's call on the Zebra would also be an excellent choice.

Are the irons reshafted? I know the old Ram Tour Grinds came with Precision (Brunswick) FCM shafts, but they were the stepped shafts. Rifles didn't come out until the late 80s. The original FCM stepped and the FM Lite shafts were outstanding shafts. It's a shame they abandoned them to go with Rifle technology.
[/quote]

Ooooh, a Wizard would be VERY cool!

Another option, sort of a Tom Watson Commemerative bag with a Ping Pal???

Choices are fun! :drinks:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='stage1350' date='05 March 2010 - 08:33 PM' timestamp='1267821218' post='2295389']

[/quote]

I have an older set with TT dynamics, stepped shafts. The chrome is coming off the heads and they have been in the shed for years,

I have a set of 1-SW that I had our club pro order from the factory in 1982. I was from a small city in Saskatchewan (Canada) and nobody played RAM clubs. I played with them until just a few years ago. Still in pretty good shape (I didn't play very much between 1987 and 1998). After I started to play regular again about 2003, I used to go to the range every spring and think maybe I should try some new technology? Then I would hit a few balls and decide that I was very happy hitting my 20+ year old clubs. The grips have been changed many times and the shafts of the sand wedge and six iron had to be replaced over the years. Also the sand wedge and eight iron found a couple of nasty stones in the rough, chrome from the sand wedge is peeling pretty good too.

I retired them a few years ago for a new custom set, but I've been thinking of getting them refinished, reshafted and returning them to play once in a while. I'd really like to lay my hands on a set of woods like yours though, they almost look like new.

[quote name='Sledge Hammer' date='11 March 2010 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1268338542' post='2309656']
I have a set of 1-SW that I had our club pro order from the factory in 1982. I was from a small city in Saskatchewan (Canada) and nobody played RAM clubs. I played with them until just a few years ago. Still in pretty good shape (I didn't play very much between 1987 and 1998). After I started to play regular again about 2003, I used to go to the range every spring and think maybe I should try some new technology? Then I would hit a few balls and decide that I was very happy hitting my 20+ year old clubs. The grips have been changed many times and the shafts of the sand wedge and six iron had to be replaced over the years. Also the sand wedge and eight iron found a couple of nasty stones in the rough, chrome from the sand wedge is peeling pretty good too.

I retired them a few years ago for a new custom set, but I've been thinking of getting them refinished, reshafted and returning them to play once in a while. I'd really like to lay my hands on a set of woods like yours though, they almost look like new.
[/quote]

Yeah, the Ram clubs were a players club back in the day. I don't think anybody at my local club played Ram forged clubs, maybe a set of Ram Laser irons but certainly not the blades. The woods still have the Ram grips on them.

My first set were the G RAMs with 6.5 shafts. This post has motivated me to use them this season a bit. I had no idea they were such a players iron. I attribute them to my ability to strike well WHEN I'm not hitting fat or topping, which a big new CB wouldn't help anyway.

My '74 Macs are impossible for me to hit in anything but hardpan due to there ridiculous leading edge and the fact they are a bit short: thrift store find for $10.

Had the bag, the irons, the driver not the fairways, had the zebra, had the Watson forged blade putter, I too am from Canada traded the clubs for a set of Wilson Staff irons. Or was it the BH Apex? Or my first set of Eye2's? Yes Virginia there were club ho's before WRX......loldiablo.gif

Ping G30 9.0 Tour 80X
Ping G25 4W
Ping G30 21 7W Tour 65X
Ping S55 4-PW S400
Ping Eye2 Gorge S, L
Byron Morgan DH89

• 1 month later...

I just reshafted my set with DG s400s and took them out for a spin on Thursday night in league. Wow!! I'd forgotten how sweet they are and, now that I've got some hybrids in the bag, I can't see any reason to take them out. I was first exposed to golf by my college girlfriend's family and her father had just bought a brand, spanky new set of Ram TG Featherweights (which are in my possession although I don't remember how) and the look of the Ram blades just always stuck in my head as the prettiest clubs I've ever seen.

10.5* TI Cally Rogue ST TD S GD AD DI-6(x)
15* TI Cally Epic Speed GD AD IZ-7(x)

18* TI Cally Rogue ST  Matrix Code-7 (s) or 8M2 (x)

24* Cally 2014 Apex UT Matrix Altus (s)
5-PW Cally Apex Pro 19 Double Dot Raw Matte Black Nippon Modus 105 (s)

50* Cleveland RTX Black Matte Black Nippon Modus 105 (s)
54*/10 Cleveland RTX Tour Rack TI DG Spinner
58*/9 Cleveland RTX Full Face Tour Rack TI DG Spinner
34" Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 * 35" Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

35"Odyssey O-Works V-Line Fang CH * 35" Odyssey Works 7 CH (Schauffele treatment by Continental Golf)

I have played different models of Rams' and have always liked the look of the 8,9 and wedge grinds. About
15 years ago I picked up this set of Rams at a Play it Again Sports in Chicago. Supposedly was a set of
heads made for Ray Floyd but I have never been able to verify it. They are definitely a different grind from
the stock Ram clubs with softer more rounded lines. Played them once and then put them away.

I still have 3 Ram staff bags, a set of NIB 2-W Golden Ram Tour Grind with FM 6.5 (best shafts ever made), a set of BeCu Lasers 1-SW, about 9 sets of BeCu 53-55-58 wedges and 4 sets of Cobalt 53-55-58 wedges. And a dozen or so other wedges.

A lot of players bagged a set of Rams or two in the 70s-80s. Great clubs. The only modern clubs that comes close to the Ram and Hogan blades of the 70-80s is Miura.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

[quote name='olegolfer' date='20 April 2010 - 06:36 PM' timestamp='1271813802' post='2391331']
I have played different models of Rams' and have always liked the look of the 8,9 and wedge grinds. About
15 years ago I picked up this set of Rams at a Play it Again Sports in Chicago. Supposedly was a set of
heads made for Ray Floyd but I have never been able to verify it. They are definitely a different grind from
the stock Ram clubs with softer more rounded lines. Played them once and then put them away.
[/quote]

I'd love to see some face pics. Would you mind posting some?

I played '79/80 Tour Grinds every season up until last year (orig. Dynamics are too stout nowadays). The one set I'll never let go. :friends:

THE BEST blade ever made imho

Beautiful Ray Floyd TG's you have there Ole!

OP, the Wizard 600 or the Tom Watson Tour Grind blade would be a perfect fit (if you can find them). Nice setup and bag btw!

Thanks... I have been collecting classic clubs off and on since late 70s but have traded or sold
most of my stuff since then. Tried to keep the best sets. Still have 4 bags full of Macgregor, Hogan,
Powerbilt, Golfcraft drivers and sets. Played 2 or 3 sets of Ram irons in the 70s and 80s. Great clubs....
The clubs I have pictured were sold by a Grip sales rep that worked with Ram. They are shafted with
Burnswick Precision 5.5 shafts which I would have thought would been a little weak for a tour player.
I suspect they may have been heads that were ground for Raymond and shafted for someone else.
Probably will never know for sure.. Found some interesting info on Ram Co and their staff players.

http://www.golfbusinesswire.com/releases/103673

[quote name='kevcarter ' date='05 March 2010 - 01:40 PM' timestamp='1267810820' post='2295036']
That was my set up for awhile in the 80s. They were a gorgeous set! You have to add a Zebra putter to really finish it off!

Kevin

[/quote]

Soon after the Tour Grind came out they released the Watson Grinds. Used them for quite awhile.
That was about the time Brunswick introduced "Frequency Matched" steel iron shafts which had
many flexes to choose from. Old style stepping. These shafts were amazing at the time. I settled
on the 7.3 flex and put them into the Watson Grinds. Played great golf with that set! I think I was
putting with an AP 8802 at the time.

[attachment=582743:Picture 1.jpg]
[attachment=582744:Picture 2.jpg]
[attachment=582746:Picture 3.jpg]