2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Tasty Ram 80's set up

I've just amateur refinished a couple of Ram woods for a mate to go with his tour grinds. Once I had got through the dozens of layers of factory finish including a nasty opaque burgundy colour, the wood underneath was surprisingly good, nice tight grain.

Bona fide quality 1980s "vintage" sets. Like anything else, you need the right models. Have seen some nice Titleist woods and I like their square-toe irons too. Might be on the lottery list...

Loving the insight from Tad. Do have a Zebra, but not sure if I'd ever give this a go. Anything other hints more than welcome though eh?!

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1424037808' post='10959179']
[quote name='arran read' timestamp='1424031481' post='10958559']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1423685602' post='10933027']
The ones I regret "getting away" are the TW282. Saw a set, didn't realize just how rare those things really are, left them in the shop. They weren't there the next visit.

Not the only time I've done something like that. Oh well.
[/quote]do you know anything about first golden rams came across set with golden pro just say by ram in bottom left in oval think there 77 ish can you help ?
[/quote]

What exactly would you like to know about them?

Unless you count the RT70's, the "Golden Ram in oval" set is more or less the first iteration in the Golden Ram Tour Grinds. They're fairly similar to the successive Golden Rams, the set of heads that I have appear to be a bit flatter soled than the Vibration Matched Golden Rams I own.

The Frequency Matched set that were my original Ram purchase, back in 2000, were somewhat flatter than my Vibration Matched, but I don't remember them being as flat as the oval set I have. The oval set are in a box in the garage, I haven't looked at them in quite a while, so I'm going from memory. :)

Ultimately, they'll be like all Golden Rams. Somewhat higher toe, thin topline, not a particularly wide sole, and the famous, slight concavity in the middle of the muscle.

Another thought, Ram was very active with their custom shop. People could get tweaks on custom grinds if they chose. What one gets for one model of Golden Ram may or may not be exactly like another in the same model. ;)
[/quote]thanks just wanted to know what year and are,,and hard to find ? not seen any with golden pro in concave bit on muscle back thanks for reply

[quote name='arran read' timestamp='1424111044' post='10964455']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1424037808' post='10959179']
[quote name='arran read' timestamp='1424031481' post='10958559']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1423685602' post='10933027']
The ones I regret "getting away" are the TW282. Saw a set, didn't realize just how rare those things really are, left them in the shop. They weren't there the next visit.

Not the only time I've done something like that. Oh well.
[/quote]do you know anything about first golden rams came across set with golden pro just say by ram in bottom left in oval think there 77 ish can you help ?
[/quote]

What exactly would you like to know about them?

Unless you count the RT70's, the "Golden Ram in oval" set is more or less the first iteration in the Golden Ram Tour Grinds. They're fairly similar to the successive Golden Rams, the set of heads that I have appear to be a bit flatter soled than the Vibration Matched Golden Rams I own.

The Frequency Matched set that were my original Ram purchase, back in 2000, were somewhat flatter than my Vibration Matched, but I don't remember them being as flat as the oval set I have. The oval set are in a box in the garage, I haven't looked at them in quite a while, so I'm going from memory. :)

Ultimately, they'll be like all Golden Rams. Somewhat higher toe, thin topline, not a particularly wide sole, and the famous, slight concavity in the middle of the muscle.

Another thought, Ram was very active with their custom shop. People could get tweaks on custom grinds if they chose. What one gets for one model of Golden Ram may or may not be exactly like another in the same model. ;)
[/quote]thanks just wanted to know what year and are,,and hard to find ? not seen any with golden pro in concave bit on muscle back thanks for reply
[/quote]

According to my Maltby ID Guide, the "Golden Ram in oval" set is from 1972 thru 1979. The sets with "Pro Model" on the sole started in 1975.

Starting in 1980, they came out with the set that had black paint fill with "Golden Ram" on the muscle, and "Tour Grind" near the toe. 1983 saw the Vibration Matched Golden Rams, in 1987 the Frequency Matched Golden Rams, up through 1991 or 1992. Those were the last Golden Rams, after that they switched to the FX Tour Grinds, though they appeared to be about the same thing. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='Kathy Marie' timestamp='1424151034' post='10969179']
NRJyzr, does your guide reveal if the "Golden Girl in oval" irons might be the same model as the Golden Rams?

And I've checked but if they're concave on the muscle, it's *not* by much.

TIA,

:wave:
[/quote]

Ms Kathy, I do believe I have an answer. :)

The book says "square toed concave muscleback blade similar to men's Golden Ram."

You're right about the concavity, so to speak, it isn't much. I've seen it described as a thumbprint. The 1 iron sitting in a bag in my computer room, it's visible, looking at the profile of the club from the bottom, but it is still slight.

The pics I've seen of Golden Girls have what looks like a small crease at the trailing edge. I'm guessing that's where they removed a little bit of weight to keep the clubs a bit lighter.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

For any interested, there's a very tasty looking set of Frequency Matched Golden Rams with Precision 7.0 shafts (on ebay, can't believe I forgot that part). The dot color code appears to be gold, which indicates a couple degrees flat.

Anyone needing slightly flat lies and 7.0 shafts, here's your chance!

If it weren't for the gold dot, I'd actually think about them myself, in part because of the 7.0 shafts, but I'm an upright lie angle guy. Not feeling excited about buying a set I'd have to bend 4° up to start.

Without realizing it, I was pretty close to putting together an all Ram bag. Clubs were thrifted, eBayed, or part of another acquisition. In total, > $75 invested. I played the irons last year as acquired and liked them. Now extended, regripped, cleaned and polished and are ready for their unveiling. Need to spend some range time with them before taking to my local bender for loft and lie adjustment. Have only been able to find original spec. on the Tour Grinds (not Axials) so I'll benchmark lofts (48* PW) to that. The headcovers are hiding Mac Tourney Custom fairways. The set consists of the following:

Tour Grind Axial driver, Dynamic Gold 5.5 shaft, Lamkin Perma Wrap Classic grip.
Tour Grind Axial irons 3 - PW, Dynamic Gold frequency matched shafts, Avon Chamois grips.
Tom Watson wedges (50*, 55*, 60*), stock shaft (no labels), Avon Chamois grips.
Zebra mallet, extended to 36", Lamkin Crossline grip.

[attachment=2631477:image.jpg]
[attachment=2631479:image.jpg][attachment=2631481:image.jpg]
[attachment=2631483:image.jpg]

The driver is in fantastic shape, has a decent grain to it (albeit not Mac quality).

[attachment=2631485:image.jpg][attachment=2631487:image.jpg]

We'll see how the putter works before trying any mods mentioned in another thread. Mr. TM says just trust him on the epoxy under the sole plate mod changing the feel. Who am I to doubt his expertise! Now just need to find some matching fairways and one of those big red and white Ram cart bags (not!) and I'm good to go.

Note: Finally......success. After several attempts over the course of the last few days to post this without the pictures getting all screwed up.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Fella, having an All Ram bag is a sign of superlative taste. :)

I can help you with the specs. I can't say this for certain, because we're dealing with Axials, but for the Frequency Matched Golden Rams that are of the same vintage, the specs appear to be:

Loft Lie
2: 19.5° 57.5°
3: 23.0° 58.5°
4: 26.5° 59.5°
5: 30.0° 60.5°
6: 33.5° 61.5°
7: 37.0° 62.5°
8: 41.0° 63.5°
9: 45.0° 64.5°
P: 49.0° 65.5°

There's a dot on the back of Frequency Matched sets, it's a lie angle dot. Black is standard. Gold is 2° flat. White is 2° upright.

I'm not a big believer in 3½° gaps between irons. What I did to my sets of Golden Rams is to go with with even 4° gaps from 26° 4 iron to 50° PW, with 20° 2 iron and 23° 3 iron. Essentially FG-17 lofts. <shrug> I'm going to get my Vibration Matched set adjusted to play again this year, and will be setting the 3 iron to 22° and using a 1 iron at 18° (instead of the spec'd 17°) to create even 4° gaps from 18° to 50°. We'll see how that goes.

Of course, lie angles should be bent to fit you, not the specs. ;)

• Like 1

Thx NRJ for the info. The irons look like black dot albeit most of the fill is gone. I prefer to play classic clubs at their original lofts. May loft the 50* TW wedge up a bit to make it a gap wedge. And yes, 4* gaps are my preference as well. Probably will need to go 2* up, but that is ytbd until I spend some time with them.

These Ram's are definately an under the radar set of clubs (not for those in the classic forum). Should be fun playing (and showing them off a bit) this golf season. Even contemplating a paint job on the old Zebra putter. Something different than the battleship gray it has now.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I know I've said this on WRX a few times, so apologies for repetition.... I feel the Axials were the model for the later nickel FX blades of 1996 or so. The FX Nickel Tour Grind clubheads were larger than those of the FX Forged that preceeded them, the latter being essentially a slightly modification of the various Golden Rams. If any modification. <shrug>

That "slightly oversized" theme appears to have been very popular in the mid to late 90s. :)

Fella, do the Axials have a bit more offset than most classic blades? I've heard hints of that over the years, but have never held an Axial in my hand, nor seen an "at address" pic.

Thanks, dude. Excellent pics :)

In the oft quoted words of The Jesus Lizard, nicey-nice nicey-nice nice real nice. Big fan of the end-to-end sets. Just something neat about it.

I've never gone for a lot of off-set, but never minded it when it is there. My Haigs are set back a bit, not Ping back, just a noticeable amount, similar to these Rams.

Have never noticed anything different in ball-flight or anything, so never been sure of the theory as to what it is trying to achieve...

[quote name='jonnygrouville' timestamp='1424887123' post='11026585']
In the oft quoted words of The Jesus Lizard, nicey-nice nicey-nice nice real nice. Big fan of the end-to-end sets. Just something neat about it.

I've never gone for a lot of off-set, but never minded it when it is there. My Haigs are set back a bit, not Ping back, just a noticeable amount, similar to these Rams.

Have never noticed anything different in ball-flight or anything, so never been sure of the theory as to what it is trying to achieve...
[/quote]

For me, offset has never been a deal breaker, but I *have* noticed it can be off-putting when I switch between offset irons and those with little or none, in either direction.

I'd been playing Vibration Matched Golden Rams for several years, 2006 to 2007 or so. During that time, I'd picked up a set of Tommy Armour 986 Tours, which are legendary for their lack of offset. Played them for a month or so, and when I went back to my Golden Rams, it was like I was looking down at Ping Eye2's; they have little offset, but everything is offset compared to the 986 Tours.

Perspective and environment can be interesting things. :)

Last summer I picked up a Zebra putter because, well, I liked the nostalgia of it. It had some dings on it so I ended up refinishing it, painting it black then removing the paint off the middle sight line. It was a bit light as well so I picked up some fender washers and put those in there. Feels solid as hell. I haven't used it on the course yet, but maybe some day. The grip was a little shiny, but a soak in Bleche-White got it back to it's original glory. I tell you, that Zebra grip is awesome!

If I find another Zebra I am going to fill it with epoxy like Mr. Moore suggests.

Love this old stuff!

I remember when the Axials came out they looked really weird because they were so large compared to other irons at the time. I don't remember anyone playing them, although I used an Axial sand wedge for years. The sand wedge looked just like any other sand wedge though. I was magic with that thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Keep the faith. I'd seen a set a couple times recently with Precision 7.5 shafts. They're out there somewhere....

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1423782320' post='10941611']
For Zebra lovers let me tell you what we did on tour. Take sole plate off. Put putter in a vise with the bottom pointing up and level to the floor. Plug the shaft hole. I used a dime or penny held in place by glue. Once hole is plugged mix a big batch of epoxy. Pour the hole in putter hear full of epoxy. After cure file or sand smooth and a nice radius.
You will love the feel.
[/quote]
I did this exact thing to a Zebra two seasons ago and it was awesome! I'd still be using it had I not picked up a GEL mallet for $20 and starting putting lights out ever since...

10.5* TI Cally Rogue ST TD S GD AD DI-6(x)
15* TI Cally Epic Speed GD AD IZ-7(x)

18* TI Cally Rogue ST  Matrix Code-7 (s) or 8M2 (x)

24* Cally 2014 Apex UT Matrix Altus (s)
5-PW Cally Apex Pro 19 Double Dot Raw Matte Black Nippon Modus 105 (s)

50* Cleveland RTX Black Matte Black Nippon Modus 105 (s)
54*/10 Cleveland RTX Tour Rack TI DG Spinner
58*/9 Cleveland RTX Full Face Tour Rack TI DG Spinner
34" Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 * 35" Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

35"Odyssey O-Works V-Line Fang CH * 35" Odyssey Works 7 CH (Schauffele treatment by Continental Golf)

• 1 year later...

Very nice, I can't make out the putters, can you tell us what they are or post a close up picture please?

I don't have enough time to snap a picture of the putters, but they are both Sportsman George Low Wizard 600's--not originals, of course, but the 80's "Original" remake. These putters come from the same company that made the irons. Sportsman and Ram were the same company.

• 1 month later...

Enjoyed this, thank you all. Just picked up a set of mint axial black dot, with dynamic gold 265 cycle. I have the next three days off and will be setting them head to head vs. my fg62's which I've recently fallen for. Thanks again. I believe I am through spending more than 100$ initial investment on a set of irons. There are so many amazing blades yet to experience that are pre 1995. Wondering what the main selling points are for modern blades. What are their claims.