2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Tasty Ram 80's set up

Very nice! I too am a RAM devotee owning a set of '83 Golden Ram Tour Grinds with the Precision FM 5.5 shafts (I concur - excellent shafts). Also have a FX2 1 iron (yes, I know it's early 90s), Tom Watson grind 55* SW and Golden Ram persimmon 3W. Last, but not least, I have a Zebra putter which is currently in my brothers possession. Ram was great stuff. Sad to see them (like a few other great names in golf) become a bargain basement brand.

How come RAM irons are so popular in Canada??

"When you find yourself in a hole.
stop digging." ~ Will Rogers

• 4 years later...

I had to bump up this old topic. Threadomancy!!! LOL

Found it in a google search for a pic of a Watson Ram staff bag.

I just love reading all the Ram goodness in this thread.....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

+1 to those custom ground RAM irons with RAY FLOYD stamps.

Just a superb custom grind.

Aside from being a pioneer in the manufacture of Surlyn covered golf balls with the 3-D,Ram made it's presence known with a lot of Tour players, Tom Watson being the most notable- (even though Watson's lob-chip shot on the 71st hole at the '82 US Open at Pebble Beach was with a Wilson Staff Dynapower SW)
Ram also pioneered Frequency Matching (FM) shafts.

Gene Littler, Doug Sanders,Calvin Peete, Ray Floyd, Jim Dent, Nancy Lopez, were all Ram staff members, and some under contract to use the Golden Ram golf ball.

More than a few pros putted with the Zebra putter, which originated in Carmel, CA. Gene Littler was one of the first, if not the first to use one.

If memory serves me, RAM also had a young Curtis Strange for one of his first equipment contracts. Strange led at Hartford, only to lose to Bill Kratzert.
Before Phil Mickelson turned professional, he used a set of LH Golden Ram Tour Grinds at Jack's Memorial Tournament in Ohio.
Ram's LH iron translation was very good, and their models didn't take a back seat to anyone.

Trying to find your inner Watson, you'll need a PING Pal or Wilson 8802.
Besides a Zebra putter,you might try to find one of those Sportsman putters from Melrose Park, IL.....

Very Tasty!

Good thread bump NRJyzr. Thrifted a set of GR Tour Grind Axial's and played them in the vintage bag last fall. Nice clubs once I learned how to properly strike the ball with them. They have frequency matched DG shafts rather than the Precision. Think I could shave with them, the topline is so thin. Plus a very high toe compared to other irons that I have around. Have been curious on the difference between the Axials and Tour Grinds. Best I have determined is that the Axials are a slightly oversized, elongated version of the regular T.G. They are currently undergoing a little rehab with extensions, new Avon grips and a little spit and polish. Have to post a pic when completed.

Currently trying to sell off a Tom Watson wedge set. Maybe need to reassess this. Have a Zebra mallet around as well. Those Ram Axial persimmons looked mighty tasty. There was a set of those for sale on the bay recently, were relatively inexpensive IIRC. Maybe an all Ram bag is in the future.

Edit note: NIB set of Axial persimmons sold last November for $50. Wonder if anyone here has hit the Ram percys? Pic wise, they look to me a nice under the radar set of woods.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

When I play persimmons, it's usually one of the Ram models I've got. The driver I usually play is the one second from the right in the below pic. It's a bit beat up, but I've gotten good results with it. The accompanying 3 wood, which is just to the left of it, I like even more. I'll experiment with various persimmon drivers, but that 3 wood is almost always the one in the bag.

Something about the head shape appeals to me, I guess.

I have quite a few Rams lying around, but I haven't been playing persimmons much lately, so haven't tested a lot of them. Several are shafted too soft for me, I don't trust myself to reshaft persimmon, and admit I don't care to spend the money to reshaft four or five clubs just to test them.

Oh yeah, the pic:

ramwoodsfaces_zpsd15b6432.jpg

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

An experience in the '80's I'll never forget. I was on the Ram Staff, and my rep took me on a 2 day trip to the factory in Chicago. I got to pick out my persimmon heads from the bins, and have my irons ground any way I wanted by the same man who ground the tour players irons. I remember getting "semi square" toe grinds. I haven't seen that shape since, just loved them. Man, I've gotten rid of so many great sets I wish I had back!!!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

An experience in the '80's I'll never forget. I was on the Ram Staff, and my rep took me on a 2 day trip to the factory in Chicago. I got to pick out my persimmon heads from the bins, and have my irons ground any way I wanted by the same man who ground the tour players irons. I remember getting "semi square" toe grinds. I haven't seen that shape since, just loved them. Man, I've gotten rid of so many great sets I wish I had back!!!

Kevin

Kevin, was it close to this at all? This is from the set of Ram TW Custom Grinds I used to have. Sold them to one of the crowd I've met, from Florida.

P1290040.jpg

Kevin

Kevin, was it close to this at all? This is from the set of Ram TW Custom Grinds I used to have. Sold them to one of the crowd I've met, from Florida.

P1290040.jpg

Beautiful set of irons! If memory serves, that was the square toe, mine were just a touch rounder, but closer to your pic than standard.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

The ones I regret "getting away" are the TW282. Saw a set, didn't realize just how rare those things really are, left them in the shop. They weren't there the next visit.

Not the only time I've done something like that. Oh well.

[quote name='mocokid' timestamp='1423678649' post='10932267']
LOVE that square toe. What about Golden Ram Tour Grind AXIALS? saw a newish set in evilbay.
[/quote]

The Axials are basically an oversized version of the previous Golden Rams. I've not seen them in person to know if they have more offset than the normal Golden Rams.

I've always assumed they were the basis used for the later FX Nickel Tour Grinds, which were somewhat larger.

I bought a new set of GR Tour Grind Vibration Matched 2-PW FM 6.5 irons when I was a kid. I saved up money from paper routes and allowances. Sent my MO off to Nevada Bob's. A week later I got a call from them that the price had gone up and I was crushed. My parents ended up covering the $35 difference. I remember getting them in the dead of winter in Chcago, opening the box and my hands nearly froze to the metal of the heads. I think that was in the winter of '82/'83. I played them for a couple years then reshafted them with tipped X100s. I remember those shafts being like rebar, but I was young and swung so hard my playing partners would lose their shoes too. One of the all time great irons.

Back in the day, I also used a TW801 driver. It wasn't the greatest driver, but it worked. I used to spray the ball all over the place with it. My 3 wood was a Watson with the graphite insert. I remember at the time that was a big deal. I can't remember what wedge I started with. I ended up getting a Tour Grind Axial SW somewhere along the line. I used those clubs through college until I quit. When I stated playing again a yearish ago I went looking for a replacement for the driver I had as a kid. I ended up finding one on the bay and got it for $20. It was brand new. Talk about lucky.

I was going to keep using the TGs, but I didn't see them on the USGA's list and didn't think they were "conforming" anymore. Now they sit in the closet. I doubt I well ever use them again because they are so special to me.

When Hogan was rekindled recently, the first small picture I saw of them made me think they were a cross between the blade on blade design of the Hogans with the muscle back design of the Golden Rams. If that were true, would have bought them instantly.

[quote name='LittleLeftToRight' timestamp='1423686137' post='10933093']
I was going to keep using the TGs, but I didn't see them on the USGA's list and didn't think they were "conforming" anymore. Now they sit in the closet. I doubt I well ever use them again because they are so special to me.
[/quote]

Curious about this comment..... Do you play USGA events, or events where they use the groove rule as a Condition of Competition? If not, there's no reason not to play them, because the groove rule doesn't apply, and won't for another 9 years. And maybe not even then.

Sorry if I've asked you this before. Getting older, brain cells don't fire quite the way they used to. :)

Unrelated question... did you ever look into the Vulcan stuff? I believe one of the Hansbergers started Vulcan, or maybe just someone from Ram. The Vulcan blades looked a whole lot like Rams.

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1423686802' post='10933205']
[/quote]

Curious about this comment..... Do you play USGA events, or events where they use the groove rule as a Condition of Competition? If not, there's no reason not to play them, because the groove rule doesn't apply, and won't for another 9 years. And maybe not even then.

Sorry if I've asked you this before. Getting older, brain cells don't fire quite the way they used to. :)

Unrelated question... did you ever look into the Vulcan stuff? I believe one of the Hansbergers started Vulcan, or maybe just someone from Ram. The Vulcan blades looked a whole lot like Rams.
[/quote]

I was planning doing some USGA events, but don't know if I will since it requires so much work. I didn't want to have to get used to a different set of irons if I did. I wanted to send them to the USGA but they won't test them unless you have entered a tournament, and by then it is too late to change. (I don't think they would pass anyway). That is only a small part of it though. Most importantly to me, after always being paranoid about losing one out on a course somewhere or hitting a rock (they are still in perfect shape except for bag chatter) I decided to just retire them for my peace of mind. I have had them for over 30 years now (20 of those I didn't play) and have a huge amount of memories from my childhood with them. That means a lot to me.

I might take them out, with the persimmons, every now and then and go play an old course, like a Ross design. I would thoroughly enjoy that. I still have a bunch of Ram Tour Lithium Balata balls from the early 90s as well. I have been meaning to look for classic events around me, but haven't yet.

I haven't looked into the Vulcan stuff.

[quote name='LittleLeftToRight' timestamp='1423689535' post='10933543']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1423686802' post='10933205']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I was planning doing some USGA events, but don't know if I will since it requires so much work. I didn't want to have to get used to a different set of irons if I did. I wanted to send them to the USGA but they won't test them unless you have entered a tournament, and by then it is too late to change. (I don't think they would pass anyway). That is only a small part of it though. Most importantly to me, after always being paranoid about losing one out on a course somewhere or hitting a rock (they are still in perfect shape except for bag chatter) I decided to just retire them for my peace of mind. I have had them for over 30 years now (20 of those I didn't play) and have a huge amount of memories from my childhood with them. That means a lot to me.

I might take them out, with the persimmons, every now and then and go play an old course, like a Ross design. I would thoroughly enjoy that. I still have a bunch of Ram Tour Lithium Balata balls from the early 90s as well. I have been meaning to look for classic events around me, but haven't yet.

I haven't looked into the Vulcan stuff.
[/quote]

Nested quotes for the win! LOL

You could always get another set of Golden Rams. I periodically surf ebay to see what's out there, last time I saw three different sets of Vibration Matched Golden Rams. A reshaft is fairly easy, and off you go.

Assuming you don't play USGA events, that is. :)

Great topic, and nice looking irons and persimmon drivers above ! In 1984 I caddied in the US Womens Open. During the last practice round we were paired with Patty Sheehan. She was a Ram staff player. She had a great looking set of Ram blades which she hit extremely well. Patty (IMO) had one of the best classic swings of all time. Youtube her swing , its absolutely awesome. Her bag set up was the nuts too, had an early 50s MacGregor Nelson driver as well and a Mac Ben Hogan 3 wood, which she loved. I recently communicated with Patty and she said a couple of things to me : 1. She loved persimmon and she loved those Ram irons... She especially loved her Mac Hogan 3 wood. Later in the 80s while in Sarasota playing in an event she broke that Nelson driver. That evening Joe Powell worked very very late thru the night trying to replicate the driver in his own head. The next day she was on the range hitting the new driver and she told her Dad "pay the man".

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1423685816' post='10933045']
The Axials are basically an oversized version of the previous Golden Rams. I've not seen them in person to know if they have more offset than the normal Golden Rams.
[/quote]

Did some eyeball comparison of the Axial 7i. Heel to toe, it's very similar to a '99 Apex. But the high toe of the Axial gave it the appearance of it being larger. Noticeably more offset than the Apex. A modest amount of offset in irons have never been that big a deal for me, helps me get through the ball better as I am not a ball worker (at least not by design).

After seeing those nice looking Ram persimmons above, well, I couldn't help myself. Surfed the bay just to see what was there. Listing for a Ram Axial D for $16 delivered. Pulled the trigger, looks pretty clean. DG 5.5 shaft which is perfect for me. Just what I need, another club.

[attachment=2613421:image.jpg][attachment=2613423:image.jpg]

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1423699906' post='10934731']
After seeing those nice looking Ram persimmons above, well, I couldn't help myself. Surfed the bay just to see what was there. Listing for a Ram Axial D for $16 delivered. Pulled the trigger, looks pretty clean. DG 5.5 shaft which is perfect for me. Just what I need, another club.

[attachment=2613421:image.jpg][attachment=2613423:image.jpg]
[/quote]

I saw that club too and was tempted to place a bid on it. But, considering the number of clubs I've picked up lately, I thought better of it until I at least know how what I've bought already plays. Congrats on a nice pick up. I thought that RAM driver was a bargoon!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Heck of a deal on that Ram Axial driver.

Is it a refinish, or just something someone didn't hit very often? (if at all)

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1423710752' post='10936049']
Is it a refinish, or just something someone didn't hit very often? (if at all)
[/quote]

It's hard to know. I remember going to a club swap at a local golf course a few years back and there was a brand new set of aged Cleveland forged blades there 2-PW. The owner wanted $175. The club pro said that the consignor won the set in a tournament and had never hit them. He then went on to say that the worst thing was that it was likely no one that would attend the swap would have enough game to handle them! I thought it was pretty comical that right beside the Clevelands was a set of Callaway x-20s, 5-PW that were pretty well thrashed and the asking price on those was $150. It would appear that vintage equipment either sells for princely sums or is damned near a gift.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1423695571' post='10934173']

You could always get another set of Golden Rams. I periodically surf ebay to see what's out there, last time I saw three different sets of Vibration Matched Golden Rams. A reshaft is fairly easy, and off you go.

[/quote]

Yes NRJyzr, I was thinking about doing exactly that! A nice set of Tour Grinds with some modern PX 7.0s would do me just fine. It is on the list. I also want to pick up some old Hogan irons for the heck of it. When I was a teenager, I always gave the Apex IIs a waggle in the clubhouse. I might as well get both of them!

I suspect that if I decide to say screw it to tournaments (I ain't getting younger), i will take up "old" golf for the pure pleasure of it. I can whack a ball around pretty well, so most courses are still doable with persimmon and old irons. I figure I can hit a persimmon driver about the same as a modern 3 wood. Any course under 7000 is game for me honestly. 7000 was a huge course when I was a kid, but I navigated them with persimmon. I can poke it longer now. I often think it would be fun to play a tournament with persimmon just to freak people out! I don't think it would make that much difference on most normal courses. Modern balls go a hell of a lot farther than the old Balatas. You sure could do some crazy things with the old balatas though.

I have to say I love the classic forum here. It gives me such good memories, and the people here don't argue all the time. What a pleasure! I would tee it up with any of ya'!

[quote name='LittleLeftToRight' timestamp='1423714056' post='10936409']
I have to say I love the classic forum here. It gives me such good memories, and the people here don't argue all the time. What a pleasure! I would tee it up with any of ya'!
[/quote]

Truth! Good folks, interesting discussions, history lessons and beautiful clubs. What's not to like.

......I was thinking about doing exactly that! A nice set of Tour Grinds with some modern PX 7.0s would do me just fine. It is on the list...
[/quote]

Here you go. Not PX's but Precision 7.0 (better yet imho). Look to be a pretty nice shape from the pics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golden-Ram-Tour-Grind-Set-2-9-Iron-PW-Frequency-Matched-7-0-Custom-Registered-/291379598625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d793d521

Great thread, thanks for sharing

Love the SQUARE toes on the irons

I used a Ram Tom Watson SW all thru university golf, what a club

Love the old persimmon pics. Never had Ram but lots of McGregor and Powerbilt

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

For Zebra lovers let me tell you what we did on tour. Take sole plate off. Put putter in a vise with the bottom pointing up and level to the floor. Plug the shaft hole. I used a dime or penny held in place by glue. Once hole is plugged mix a big batch of epoxy. Pour the hole in putter hear full of epoxy. After cure file or sand smooth and a nice radius.
You will love the feel.

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1423782320' post='10941611']
For Zebra lovers let me tell you what we did on tour. Take sole plate off. Put putter in a vise with the bottom pointing up and level to the floor. Plug the shaft hole. I used a dime or penny held in place by glue. Once hole is plugged mix a big batch of epoxy. Pour the hole in putter hear full of epoxy. After cure file or sand smooth and a nice radius.
You will love the feel.
[/quote] I have a couple of old Zebra putters I might do that tomorrow afternoon after church since it will be too cold to play here. Thanks. I will tell everyone Mr Tad Moore taught me that !

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1423695571' post='10934173']

[/quote]

Yes NRJyzr, I was thinking about doing exactly that! A nice set of Tour Grinds with some modern PX 7.0s would do me just fine. It is on the list. I also want to pick up some old Hogan irons for the heck of it. When I was a teenager, I always gave the Apex IIs a waggle in the clubhouse. I might as well get both of them!

I suspect that if I decide to say screw it to tournaments (I ain't getting younger), i will take up "old" golf for the pure pleasure of it. I can whack a ball around pretty well, so most courses are still doable with persimmon and old irons. I figure I can hit a persimmon driver about the same as a modern 3 wood. Any course under 7000 is game for me honestly. 7000 was a huge course when I was a kid, but I navigated them with persimmon. I can poke it longer now. I often think it would be fun to play a tournament with persimmon just to freak people out! I don't think it would make that much difference on most normal courses. Modern balls go a hell of a lot farther than the old Balatas. You sure could do some crazy things with the old balatas though.

[/quote] In the spring I get out the classic stuff and play my home course from the senior tees which is about 6200 yards. I also play a little par 3 course with vintage wedges and balata balls. I can still spin any ball but those old balatas will spin like crazy off the mats. I love the looks on the tourist hackers faces when doing that. I had some friends down a few years ago and we had played somewhere that day. After supper we dug out the vintage wedges and balatas and went over there and ended up playing 36 holes that night. Those guys with me are actually real good players and they were really spinning it. One of the tourist hacks told his kids that you can do some things with those illegial wedges. I showed him my wedge which was a 53 Spalding and told him in 53 they did not know nothing about square grooves. He was embarrassed we did not tell him we were hitting balata balls and that one of the guys with us had played some on the Web.com tour. He probably did not know jack about a balata ball anyhow. We had a lot of fun that night

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1423685602' post='10933027']
The ones I regret "getting away" are the TW282. Saw a set, didn't realize just how rare those things really are, left them in the shop. They weren't there the next visit.

[/quote]do you know anything about first golden rams came across set with golden pro just say by ram in bottom left in oval think there 77 ish can you help ?

[quote name='arran read' timestamp='1424031481' post='10958559']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1423685602' post='10933027']

[/quote]do you know anything about first golden rams came across set with golden pro just say by ram in bottom left in oval think there 77 ish can you help ?
[/quote]

What exactly would you like to know about them?

Unless you count the RT70's, the "Golden Ram in oval" set is more or less the first iteration in the Golden Ram Tour Grinds. They're fairly similar to the successive Golden Rams, the set of heads that I have appear to be a bit flatter soled than the Vibration Matched Golden Rams I own.

The Frequency Matched set that were my original Ram purchase, back in 2000, were somewhat flatter than my Vibration Matched, but I don't remember them being as flat as the oval set I have. The oval set are in a box in the garage, I haven't looked at them in quite a while, so I'm going from memory. :)

Ultimately, they'll be like all Golden Rams. Somewhat higher toe, thin topline, not a particularly wide sole, and the famous, slight concavity in the middle of the muscle.

Another thought, Ram was very active with their custom shop. People could get tweaks on custom grinds if they chose. What one gets for one model of Golden Ram may or may not be exactly like another in the same model. ;)