2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

JUNIOR WHAT DID YOU SHOOT THREAD

Yesterday's Round: 75, 10 FIR, 10 GIR, 31 putts

Today's Round: 84, 12 FIR, 7 GIR, 35!! putts.

I feel like I'm putting quite well at the moment but nothing is sinking. I think on nearly every hole today I lipped out. I made my first up and down on the 17th hole! It's really frustrating, especially when I 4putted the 6th green...I'm hitting everything sweet, 12 FIR and my iron misses are more poor club selection more then anything - just can't sink a putt if I tried. My putting average for the last 2months or so has blown out to 1.71 putts per hole from around 1.5.

Rant over ;)

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot a 79 at one of the NENY PGA section Junior Events this past monday, a quick improvement over a 92 I shot the week before in a similar tournament! I am still getting use to this type of tournament, they are really alot different than high school matches for some reason, and I can't put my finger on it.

Hit 3/13 fairways

Hit 10/18 greens

Had 35 putts

So, based on those stats, and on how windy it was that day, I'm happy with my score. Could've been better if I took more time over those short "tap ins" instead of just rushing to get out of the other players way so they could putt, resulting in missing those little rascals! Still looking for a round this year where everything goes right, this time my putter took the day off.

But, I finished tied for 10th out of a field of a little more than 100 people, my best showing yet. I take more confidence to the next tournament knowing these guys I'm competing against really aren't that much better than me.

[sign here]

• 2 weeks later...

Played in the Western NC Junior Championship at Mimosa Hills GC today a lot of good players and college coaches around. Shot 77 hit the ball GOD AWFUL. My best friend came in second losing by one shot (Lance Wheeler 67). I hit 6 / 14 fairways most were hit with a 3 iron or rescue club, and 8 / 18 greens, along with 37 but miss a s**** load of short one 5 ft. and in including a four footer for par after a great chip while a coach was sitting there watching : ( oh well.

shi* happens

35-42 77 (+6)

Teed off the back, and got it going somewhat nicley after four holes. I was one over, including a par after a tee shot wen't out of play. Then I missed two easy up and downs, and the long game went south. I tanked one OB, and lost it.

I got it together on the front, shooting an even 35. 2 birdies and bogeys both par 3's. Good putts on #4, and #8.

8/13 Fairways

8/18 Greens

29 Putts

Well, it was yesterday but had an 80...Don't laugh my hcp was 20

+6 on front 9

+4 on back 9

Par 70 (35, 35)

Hit the ball kind of inconsistent but my misses weren't that bad.

Only hit 2 greens!! Both par 3's...3 jacked 1 and made 10 ft birdie on the other one

Coming down the last few I said I'm not going to choke and I finished very well for once!

Got cut 2 shots now I'm an 18 which is ok

(PS...Mental game, course management, putting and short game are wayyyy more important than anything else)

Discovered that today!!

I shot 36 (E) in our 1st practice today for HS golf team. That is not too great, but ok...the rating is like 69.0. I hit 7/7 fairways, 6/9 greens (ouch, I had no more than 120yds in on the par 4's), and 16 putts (ouch again). But I like nutted every drive though lol. I had 2 birdies and 2 bogeys...and one of the bogey's was from the middle of the fairway, 120yds out.

First day of tryouts for my high school team. Hacked a 48 for the front nine, which means I played two shots worse than my 18 hole handicap (9.2) :tongue: ,then settled down and shot even through five holes on the back nine until it started storming. Couldn't hit a driver to save my life, pumped two OB and then three putted from ten feet. Hopefully I can take the momentum into tomorrow's tryouts.

• 1 month later...

Shot a 75 (par 71) yesterday in a 4BBB Stableford Aggregate competition. 39 (+4) on the front, and 35 on the back. This was probably the worst possible score I could have gotten, as I hit 10 FIR, 12 GIR, and had 34 putts - 2 3-putts and burned the edge way to much to be fair. It could have easily been a one or two under round. I'm happy, though, because although I didn't hit my driver as well as I normally do I hit the most GIR I have hit in a very long time. Snap hooks are gone and I am a happy man.

Shot a 72 (+1) at our Mid-Penn Tournament to take the medallist spot. It was a nice round, 4 birds, 5 bogeys, 11 greens, 30 putts. The course was tricked (putted off of one green) but it was so nice to finally put a full round together and not crash on the last few holes. Some pins were so unfair that roughly half of the people I talked to either putted off a green or had a 4putt. But a good round.

I need to blow some steam off:

First off, I shot an 80 today after rejigging my swing, so the score says the round was average. BTW the greens had just been sanded and fertilized so the greens were a little funny, but they rolled fairly straight and you didn't need much borrow to make the putts.

The stats: I hit 8 FIR (not good for me), 7 GIR (also not very good), and had 32 putts.

The bad stuff, 2nd hole (par 3), hit 4i to 6ft and manage to 3 putt it. 4th hole (par 5), I needed an up and down for par, and I chipped it 2-3feet away. Managed to miss that :clapping:. 6th (par 4), hit a bad drive here and it put me in trouble. I got myself into further trouble and hit the green in 5 ;). I had chipped on to 3-4feet. Missed it again, and walked away with triple. 10 (par 5), in bunker beside the green and play a good shot to 4feet, jab that and another 2 putt from 3-4feet. 11 (par 3), knock it to 10ft, and manage to 3 jab that one. Last but not least, 14th, landed my pitch 4-5ft from the hole after venturing into the trees and again missed the putt. Freakin useless golf - I added up all my missed putts and if I had made the least amount (2 putting the 3 putts, making everything else, which I normally do), I would have taken 7 strokes off my round and I reckon I could have had 2-3 more strokes off that. Very dissapointing! Sorry guys, just had to get if off my chest.