G5 vs. G10 vs. G15 irons?

EmptyWallet

I know Ping lists the advancements between these irons....but does anyone have first hand knowledge of how they are different and play different? Forgiveness? Head size? Head shape?

Would a high HCP notice a difference? Anyone played two out of the three and notice a difference, or all three? G15's really worth it over the G5's or G10's?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Switched from the Callaway 18 to g10 and could not be happier. Tried all three and thought the g10 with the AWT shaft was the best value and technology for the money. The G5 was good but the blue color turned me off. G15 - not a lot of difference for the money. The prices have also dropped to $599 and inclused a utiltiy wedge @50*. Threw in a Ping Iwedge and I was done.
I still think the Eye2s are pretty good...

I don't think you will see any drastic difference between the three models. The biggest difference aside from price is: G5 = blue, G10 = orange, G15 = red.

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* 3 Wood Alta CB
Ping G410 19* & 22* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping i500 Recoil 5-UW
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
Ping Anser Milled 0
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

I tried out the G15s on our range, and was all set to buy a set. The pro brought out a G5 iron and set it down next to the G15. Couldn't see any difference. Couldn't tell a difference on the range. Bought a set (5 through gap) of the G5s. Have played with them a couple of times. It was easier to get used to the swingweight than I thought it would be, but the look of the PW and GW is kind of scary. Lot of head down there. Same for chipping. Didn't want to go with I15s as I figured why stop halfway on the journey to game improvement shovels. Oh, and did I mention how high the ball goes? The gap wedge just sends the ball into the clouds. Went back to my regular 52 degree wedge for that distance, my bad neck just couldn't take the abuse of spinning up that high.
Now the question is: Will my fright over the look of the club down there be overcome by better shotmaking? We'll see over the next few weekends.

Oh, I'm sure that an engineer could explain the differences, but an average player won't be able to tell any difference. Certainly not a significant difference. As to the grooves, if these clubs get me to the Open, I'll spring for the G15s.

Certainly there is a difference as the Maltby Playability factors for the clubs are different. But is it enough to matter?
G5s = 804

G10s = 805

G15s = 844

I think I've read that it takes over 100 points for an average player to tell any difference. I may be wrong on that.

I could tell the difference.

I played the g10s for a season and now am in season 2 of my g15s. There is a difference. The g15s are much softer feeling. g10s we borderline harsh. G15s go a tad higher in flight too, which is a bit counterintuitive due to being 1 degree stronger in the irons throughout most of the set compared to the g10s.

As for the look, I will admit they all look similar, and are just huge, but they work.

I've played ping eye2s forever then went on a bit of a quest...x-20s to g10s and then, finally, the g15s. They are the best.

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

[quote name='magnus7319' date='06 April 2010 - 08:52 PM' timestamp='1270608755' post='2364947']
I could tell the difference.

I played the g10s for a season and now am in season 2 of my g15s. There is a difference. The g15s are much softer feeling. g10s we borderline harsh. G15s go a tad higher in flight too, which is a bit counterintuitive due to being 1 degree stronger in the irons throughout most of the set compared to the g10s.

As for the look, I will admit they all look similar, and are just huge, but they work.

I've played ping eye2s forever then went on a bit of a quest...x-20s to g10s and then, finally, the g15s. They are the best.
[/quote]

What did you think when you went from the X-20's to the G10's?

as far s i series, i15 is better because moi is higher with the toe slug. other than that... i see very little differences in the irons.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I was at a Ping Demo Day recently and had a conversation with one of their reps. He stated that even though the G5 - G10 - G15 (both woods & irons) were built on the same platform that there were differences on how they distributed the weight and CG. I have hit all 3 and to me they all performed about the same. At this point in their line up its more of cost versus value. Unless I see a dramatic difference in the performance I'm not going to spend the money just to get the latest club.

The difference? A Slight improvement with each version, similar to the differences between Callaway x18, x20 & x22, basically, blue, orange, or red. If you are gaming x20's now, the Pings would be a sideways step, at best. The x20's are a solid club, and a bit more workable than the Pings, IMO.

Cobra Fly-Z driver
Cobra Speed LD 3 wood
Adams LS 3 hybrid
TM Rocketbladez 4 - AW
Ping Tour 56
TM ATV 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I played G5's for several years and made the move to the G15's last fall. I agree with the previous observations with regard to feel. I demoed the G10's but found them harsher. The bigest improvement I have found is the shafts as I play graphite. The TFD 149D is superior to the previous Ping graphite shafts IMHO. The G15's are a bit longer for me and provide a higher ball flight as well. Overall, I'm pleased with the switch and getting a good price for my G5's helped a lot to offset the expense. The conforming groves don't perform the same as the G5's though. Sigh.

Where did you buy your irons? Something sounds fishy about being unable to purchase Silver Dot G5 Irons; I purchased my Green Dot G5's only a month or so ago and on their website Ping says G5's can be adjusted 4° which could easlily of made them Silver Dots. I would call Ping directly and ask them if this is true and not just a line given to you by a saleman in order to sell you a more expensive set of clubs.

Ping G20 Driver: 9.5 Degree
Cobra S9-1: 5 Wood
Callaway Heavenwood Hybrid: 20 & 23
Ping G5 Irons: 5-9, PW, UW, SW
Ping Karsten Putter: Anser
Ping Tour Wedge 58°

It appears that on each generation the sole has gotten wider. There is also an increase in size on the toe weight too.
I think there was a brief time where Ping wasn't going to offer the G5 in custom lie angles, but quickly changed that.

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 9* with Oban Isawa 55
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3hl and 5-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai smoke TD 7-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai Smoke 5h with Project X Cypher
Callaway Apex Pro  6-AW irons with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 52 with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 56 with Nippon Modus 105
Toulon LeMans or Ai Mini Jailbird

• 2 weeks later...

Nice topic. After hitting the G15 at a demo day and being amazed by the forgiveness I have contemplated buying a set. But I can't really justify the price of the G15's so I started wondering how the G10's and G5's compared. I like the blue of the G5's better anyway. :D

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

In my opinion a high handicap player (like myself) won't notice a significant difference between the G5, G10 and G15 sets. The reality is that there is a reason for the high handicap and that reason is usually an improper and/or inconsistent swing.

Bad swings that result in bad shots with a G5 are usually going to be far enough off that they would have also resulted in a bad shot with a G15. The differences between the clubs are real, but the additional "window of forgiveness" that they provide is very small compared to a high handicap player's margin of error. The only shots that are going to be saved are the ones that fall within this minute window.

I wish somebody could convince me otherwise... I'd be happy to trade up, but I can't convince myself that it is worth it!

[quote name='CosmosMpower' date='22 April 2010 - 07:33 AM' timestamp='1271946829' post='2394289']
I've hit all three generations and honestly couldn't really tell a difference. The main thing is from the G5 to the G10/15 they changed the steel shaft from the CS lite to the AWT. I ended up buying a used set of G10's for a good price and am happy.
[/quote]

You can order brand new G5's with AWT shafts from Ping.

[quote]Certainly there is a difference as the Maltby Playability factors for the clubs are different. But is it enough to matter?
G5s = 804

G10s = 805

G15s = 844
[/quote]

according to Maltby himself, a difference in MPF rating becomes significant only when there is a difference of 150 or more.

i like the MPF, but only as a starting point. it doesn't take into account things like turf interaction and type of shaft (it can't). for example, i own 3 sets of Callaway irons (soon to be 2): S2H2's, Big Bertha 04's, and Fusions. iirc, the S2H2's actually have the highest MPF rating of the three, and the BB 04's have the lowest rating.

i can tell you that IME, the S2H2's are the least forgiving of the three, as one would expect. i find that the Fusions are the most forgiving of the three, with the BB 04's in the middle. for me, the Fusions are the straightest irons i've ever hit--i tend to draw the BB 04's, and fade the S2H2's. my guess is that for me, the combination of the medium-sized sole, extreme perimeter weighting, moderate offset, and Nippon 990 uniflex shaft works better than the S2H2's thin sole, small cavity, minimal offset, and M10 shaft or the BB04's wide sole, maximum offset, and BB uniflex shaft.

as always, ymmv.