2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Dear Left-handed golfer I saw at the range last night

A bunch of you are talking about hitting off mats, and switching the rubber tee around. Is it just that your range only has mats or what? I stopped hitting from mats when I was 10 because I wanted to imitate course conditions as closely as possible. I thought only beginners hit off those things......not people who are members to a golf forum. Or did you just not bring enough tees? lol

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Chunkylover77' date='21 May 2010 - 09:36 AM' timestamp='1274448985' post='2457572']
Lots of ranges don't have grass areas. It's mats or nothing
[/quote]

Wow, that sucks! I guess I'm lucky because where I live there are 3 good ranges all with grass and within about 6 kms from me. I guess you work with what you got.

I think in the Houston area there are only about 3 ranges that even have mats.

In the year I lived in new Jersey, I found 1 course that actually had grass to hit from on the range. All of the rest of them had mats. 1 course had 2 mats set up with a net about 10 feet in front of them, and that was their driving range.

[quote name='jkcal' date='21 May 2010 - 05:34 AM' timestamp='1274438080' post='2457393']
Lefties:
How many times have you heard "lefties can draw the ball easier than right handed golfers because it's they're natural swing" I heard that so many times, usually at the range. They (righties) really must think it is instilled in lefties from the get-go. I have spent many years perfecting my swing and I used to slice the ball with the best of them. :D
[/quote]

It took me about 4 years to figure out how to hit a draw. When I started, I had a wicked slice. After a couple of years, I turned the wicked slice into a playable slice. Then it went to a bit of a fade. Out of the blue one day, on the course, I started hitting a 10ish yard draw, while being set up for a fade. It made for a long day. I have no idea what changed, it was literally over night with no swing changes (at least none that I knew I made). I finally figured out how to intentionally hit a draw or fade, though my natural shot shape with the woods is still a fade, and with my irons is a draw.

[quote name='bigred90gt' date='20 May 2010 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1274410643' post='2457042']
Remind me next time to stand right across from you at the range. I'll even stare you down. lol
[/quote]
And how is this different from any other time you and I are at the range together?

You know, I don't mind getting stared down even. This guy just wanted to look at me and get some recognition that he hit a great shot. It was like he wanted me to sit there with my mouth agape, worshiping his awe-inspiring ball striking. It's like he wanted me to be impressed. It was just weird, so I came here and made a thread about it. :)

[quote name='stevestrike' date='21 May 2010 - 05:04 PM' timestamp='1274479457' post='2458645']
[quote name='bigred90gt' date='20 May 2010 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1274410643' post='2457042']
Remind me next time to stand right across from you at the range. I'll even stare you down. lol
[/quote]
And how is this different from any other time you and I are at the range together?

You know, I don't mind getting stared down even. This guy just wanted to look at me and get some recognition that he hit a great shot. It was like he wanted me to sit there with my mouth agape, worshiping his awe-inspiring ball striking. It's like he wanted me to be impressed. It was just weird, so I came here and made a thread about it. :)
[/quote]

Hey man, I'm usually at the range first dude.

I think I'm going to try his move, except every time I ape smash one, I'm going to hold my pose, and look over at you and wait for you to recognize it. Either that, or every time you hit your driver, I'll hammer the 2i or the 3W out past it and make some snide remark. lol

[quote name='golfingchuck' date='18 May 2010 - 10:59 PM' timestamp='1274237950' post='2452030']
[quote name='golow' date='18 May 2010 - 09:50 PM' timestamp='1274237443' post='2452008']
Since smoking, texting and giving you that come hither look isn't a left handed trait you are just mad that this tool landed on your right hand side.

This probably happens to you what ... 3 times a year. Happens to me 3+ days a week.

Best example of leftism I've experienced. Righty next to me at the range one morning told me to mind my shadow (fairly unpleasant tone). I hadn't noticed, apologized, then minded my shadow for the next half hour. Next day, mid afternoon I see him, same spot. I get right next to him just to see if he returns the favor with the minding of the shadow ... nope. I returned his request (victory in my tone no doubt). He left, I finished his bucket.

I love the idea of a person .... but people ruin it.

golow™
[/quote]

Poor Right handed player!! We have to deal with this all/every range session that I/we (lefties) have. All you right handed people watching us hit like we are Phil! Doesn't bother me though, I'm used to people watching now after playing for 20 years. Oh I smoke and I respect others and will go sit on the bench or away from everyone so my nasty habit doesn't bother anyone. OP, put your big boy underwear on and deal with it.

Not trying to start a fight! Just remember this doesn;t just bother right handers.
[/quote]

The main issue is that the lefty had any stall he desired and decided to park it right in front of someone.

Go into a near-empty movie theater and sit right next to someone... see if they move. Go into a near-full movie theater and no one would question you sitting next to them.

[quote name='stevestrike' date='18 May 2010 - 09:30 PM' timestamp='1274232628' post='2451715']
To the left-handed golfer I saw at the range last night:

Since there were only four of us at the range (Me, my two friends, and you) you could have chosen any of a dozen stalls. You, however chose the one right in front of me. So there we were, standing eyeball to eyeball, emptying the contents of a couple of large buckets, except you seemed more preoccupied with your cell phone and whoever was texting/emailing/calling you at the time. Your cigarette stinks, but at least you were downwind from us. But the most annoying thing of all was they way you kept looking up at me to see if I was watching you. Yes, you hit the ball very hard, neat. But it is a bit unnerving to look up and see you watching me after every shot. Next time, go ahead and take the stall behind me so we don't have to look at each other like that. Maybe we'll just have a moon landing.

Regards,
The right-handed golfer

PS--your grip sucks too!
[/quote]

Dear Righty,

When I went to the range the other day I saw these 3 guys hitting balls. Being a smoker, I chose a stall which was downwind from the other players. Unfortunately, the only one with a hitting area on the left side of the mat was eye to eye with one of the guys.

As I was working on my swing, I could see out of the corner of my eye this guy kept looking at me. I started to look back at him after every shot he hit, hoping he would get freaked out and mind his own business, but to no avail. It started to bother me so much I just had to text my buddies to tell them about it!

Anyway, at least I got to work on my grip!

Sincerely,

Lefty.

It's just the driving range.

Some of you guys are way too bothered by what other people are doing on the range.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Dear Righty

I'm sorry my LH brother from another mother had to choose a stall next to yours. I'm sorry he was blocking your view of some guy's butt 3 stalls over. I'm sorry he chose to smoke....probably just wanted to speed up the lung cancer to end his miserable left handed life. I'm sorry he kept looking at you.......probably just wanted to see what clubs you were using knowing that they were not made for his kind. I'm sorry his grip sucked........Jack, Tiger, Arnie don't write books, make videos or give tips for those on our side. Next time he'll just go to the very end of the range and grab the wet, slimy mat and turn it around like I usually do to hit a few tee shots.......so he can have a prayer of putting it in the fairway on a dogleg right.

Oh and I'm sure that phone call was to move the steering wheel to right side of his car. bye.gif

TOO FUNNY!! I had to wipe the Tea off of my screen that I spit out when I read this!!!!!

[quote name='golfingchuck' date='18 May 2010 - 10:59 PM' timestamp='1274237950' post='2452030']
[quote name='golow' date='18 May 2010 - 09:50 PM' timestamp='1274237443' post='2452008']
Since smoking, texting and giving you that come hither look isn't a left handed trait you are just mad that this tool landed on your right hand side.

This probably happens to you what ... 3 times a year. Happens to me 3+ days a week.

Best example of leftism I've experienced. Righty next to me at the range one morning told me to mind my shadow (fairly unpleasant tone). I hadn't noticed, apologized, then minded my shadow for the next half hour. Next day, mid afternoon I see him, same spot. I get right next to him just to see if he returns the favor with the minding of the shadow ... nope. I returned his request (victory in my tone no doubt). He left, I finished his bucket.

I love the idea of a person .... but people ruin it.

golow™
[/quote]

Poor Right handed player!! We have to deal with this all/every range session that I/we (lefties) have. All you right handed people watching us hit like we are Phil! Doesn't bother me though, I'm used to people watching now after playing for 20 years. Oh I smoke and I respect others and will go sit on the bench or away from everyone so my nasty habit doesn't bother anyone. OP, put your big boy underwear on and deal with it.

Not trying to start a fight! Just remember this doesn;t just bother right handers.
[/quote]

the relevant part of the post is that there were other stalls available. as for smoking, it should not be done on the line, period. move away and stay downwind if you can't hit a ball without a smoke (especially cigars). I come out for fresh air, not pollution.

cell phones? they shoudl be teed up and smashed. like smokes, move away, real far away... I don't want to hear 'dude, what's up, nothing, what are you doing dude, dude? yeah...etc.'

sunday, on the 17th tee, a young guy decided to come out and ride his motorcycle....no, he didn't just start it up and go...he had to start it up, then go thru all his messages on his stupid phone while his harley piece of junk was idiling.....

the main problem with this country today is the lack of simple courtesy...the 'I can do whatever I want anywhere I want' philosiphy.

Oh yeah, my one other driving range peeve...two guys on the next tee teaching each other and both can't get the ball off the ground and with new equipment....dudes!!!!! take a lesson.