2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Just moved to Japan, what do I need to come back with?

dees72

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dees72' timestamp='1280789421' post='2614102']
So I am in Okinawa, Japan for the next 3 years. What do I absolutely want to come home with? I've already lusted after the Nike Machspeed Forged irons, but they seem rather tame. So I'd like suggestions.

Thanks
[/quote]

It is impossible to tell what will be available in 3 years but you will be in golf equipmentpalooza - more choices than you can shake a stick at. More clubs than we get; more clothes than we get, and more accessories than we get.....but fewer places to actually play!

My suggestion is to become a regular at one or two of the local shops and friendly with a few of the owners - the ones that get all of the latest japanese equipment - and then start selling the stuff off ebay. Would be a fun way to stay engaged in what's hot in Japan and the US and provide your friends stateside with an avenue to access some of the japanese equipment and accessories we don't get over here....befriending a few of the locals (who in turn will make your stay in japan a bit nicer) and make a few bucks on the side.

Have a wonderful time.

First off, Congratulations! You will have an amazing time in Japan - it is a fantastic place to live.

Second, definitely make an effort to make a few local friends - it might take longer to form close friendships there, but you will have great friends for a lifetime.

Now on to golf - man, the gear will change so much in three years I would not know where to begin :partytime2: .

That said, I would follow the suggestion above to become friends with one or two local shops, preferably ones that have a good reputation for fitting. JDM gear rocks, but you still need to be fit.

Now as for specific equipment out now - I really like the Callaway Legacy driver series - select the model that works best for you. Irons - the world is your oyster amigo. I really like OnOff's forged irons (tempted to switch to the new plus but my 2008 model is still working very well). That said, Taylormade and Tourstage have a slew of forgings available in Japan that we do not see in the US - both are worth a look in my humble opinion. Oh - you can also order custom finishes (and possibly grinds?) from Mizuno Japan - definitely look into that while you are over there!

Wedges - too many companies to name.

Putters - although I play a G-field, I am partial to Bettinardi and Odyssey flatsticks. Putters from the Japanese OEM's, Odyssey and Taylormade aside, have never done much for me, but they have some nice smaller manufacturers like Yamada, Golds, etc.

I wouldn't mind buying and selling a few things from here. After looking at the prices on Tourspec Golf, I think I could beat most of their prices. Their mark up seems high. What sort of clubs would be of interest? Obviously Epon and Miura blades, but more specific than that. Can someone give me a list of goods that would be of interest.

are you married? If not, a Japanese girl would be on the top of my list hahah.

Otherwise, I'd probably pick up a set of blades that are hard to find here or just waaaay too expensive. Or maybe a sick onoff staff bag!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1281400988' post='2628986']
are you married? If not, a Japanese girl would be on the top of my list hahah.

Otherwise, I'd probably pick up a set of blades that are hard to find here or just waaaay too expensive. Or maybe a sick onoff staff bag!
[/quote]

PM sent in regards to the possibility of purchasing a set of Nike Machspeed Forged irons. I would appreciate it if you can get back to me. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='dees72' timestamp='1281397809' post='2628862']
I wouldn't mind buying and selling a few things from here. After looking at the prices on Tourspec Golf, I think I could beat most of their prices. Their mark up seems high. What sort of clubs would be of interest? Obviously Epon and Miura blades, but more specific than that. Can someone give me a list of goods that would be of interest.
[/quote]

[color=#1C2837]PM sent in regards to the possibility of purchasing a set of Nike Machspeed Forged irons. I would appreciate it if you can get back to me. Thanks in advance.
[/color]

Sure you can beat their prices, but you'll be doing it for free. Okinawa is not really "Japan" in the sense that the prices in Okinawa are higher than mainland Japan. You can't order Epon or Miura from the factory.

Shipping costs are the biggest stumbling block. Don't think for a minute that you're going to get away with using the base post office. You will pay a heavy price when you get caught, and you will get caught. The SOFA does not allow you to use the post office for any commercial purposes.

Sorry to put a damper on your expectations.

Shipping costs were my first thought too. I have been selling some stuff on ebay and have shot a few packages, about the size of a shoe box and smaller, and the rates have been hovering around $50 for 5lbs and under. I don't recall the rates ever being this high.

[quote name='Rolex' timestamp='1281874931' post='2639342']
Sure you can beat their prices, but you'll be doing it for free. Okinawa is not really "Japan" in the sense that the prices in Okinawa are higher than mainland Japan. You can't order Epon or Miura from the factory.

Shipping costs are the biggest stumbling block. Don't think for a minute that you're going to get away with using the base post office. You will pay a heavy price when you get caught, and you will get caught. The SOFA does not allow you to use the post office for any commercial purposes.

Sorry to put a damper on your expectations.
[/quote]

Buyer should always pay shipping and duty for international- always. Otherwise shipper will lose his shirt. Tourspec charges shipping to the buyer.

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1281891197' post='2639653']
Buyer should always pay shipping and duty for international- always. Otherwise shipper will lose his shirt. Tourspec charges shipping to the buyer.
[/quote]

It's the high cost of shipping from Japan that is a stumbling block to the business in general.

[quote name='Rolex' timestamp='1281905465' post='2639966']
[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1281891197' post='2639653']
[/quote]

It's the high cost of shipping from Japan that is a stumbling block to the business in general.
[/quote]

I doubt it's truly business venture, as much as a diversion and something to get him quickly integrated into Japanese environment and build his personal network.
Your response is the difference b/t people who do things, and people who watch other people do things. :) He thinks he can do it - let him try...he might be smarter than you give him credit for. He's already got a full time job - the golf suggestion is a nice diversion that can get him in close with locals, and the equipment. And make a couple of bucks in the process. As for shipping costs - clients are always willing to pick up shipping of unique items for which there is not suitable alternative stateside....business 101. $100 extra for shipping is nothing for a set of clubs you can't otherwise find. Whether the luxury market for golf equipment is viable here in the US is a completely different question.

The fact that he's in a place that has limited supply product; and a foreign demand - makes it a natural entrepreneurial enterprise to try. I doubt being a 2nd tier reseller is going to make anyone rich - but if he develops a decent volume (he'll become more recognizable by the local golf stores as someone who buys a lot of things) and his relationship with the store owners will improve - and make his stay in Japan more fun; with the side benefit of really getting to know the Japanese equipment market. After he leaves he can rely on his Japanese contacts to keep the supply chain of equipment coming - if he takes his time now to build the network.

Can't hurt.

I'm not exactly looking to build an international business empire or anything, or even compete with TSG. But if someone wanted a J-Spec Mizuno fairway wood headcover, maybe I could run down to the store and see if they have one. TSG is higher priced than a few of the local shops here, so if I can do someone a favor then I will.

Okinawa may not be Japan to you, but it's a lot closer than Topeka.

[quote name='Rolex' timestamp='1281913254' post='2640259']
I've been in Japan for 20 years and know the market and the business. Sorry, but it appears you are a little naive about the business and Japan.

Cheers
[/quote]
Despite your alleged "experience" you've completely missed the point.

There is still a US demand for Japan only equipment and since places like Victoria Golf, or BIC Camera don't ship overeseas cheaply or easily (Rakuten only started doing it recently and not easily) - there is still a niche for guys like the OP who have day jobs, but make money on the side by being a "courier" - buying it retail and then shipping it to the US.

Example: My latest trip to Tokyo and Kyoto was 2 weeks ago - bought a Cally White Ice IX #5 CS putter (Ryo's US Open putter model) - Victoria Golf in Shinjuku had it for $205. TSG would have charged me $275, plus shipping of about $30 to buy it retail (ostensibly) then walk it to the post office and ship it. That's at least a $70 mark up.

Not rocket science - no business experience necessary - just an ability to walk in, buy it, and send it to the US. Sticking the buyer with shipping and duties.

[size="3"]just my little opinion ....., but with us-yen being in the mid 80s the potential to make some good coin is pretty slim right now.. , ( if it ever gos back to 120s then it might be a differnt story, but that doesnt look likely in this lifetime.) also most of the retail JDM used shops mark everything pretty much the same now a well. , a cpl of the biggest used shops are owned under one umbrella . price collusion...............???????? the brilliant gems we used to be able to get regualrly are few and far less , if u know the guys in the store and u do some volume, they will tell you about whats just come in b4 they publish it. but ur not going to get it at 1/2 price. u will pay their retail( minus ur volume discount ), i move a lot of clubs here and ive tried selling a cpl of times on forums and the bid -offer spread procludes alot of sales. . its more cost effective for me to sell locally and move on in the majority of cases. JDM prices are higher than everywhere else , theres been tons of conjecture why , , but i see golf here not really the sport like in the US, and europe and australia ,i see it played more as a pastime -business game,by a more financially privilaged ,older demographic , beceause..... golf is over $250 a round pretty much everywhere,around the cities and id guess 80% of golfers i see every weekend are over 35 coined up and affluent. thers no kids , no family theme, sure its out here, but i see its all about stature . bags are full of super gear. its fantastic. and even tho the turn over for goods is still stupendous in the shops .this is a very bad time for golf equipment. have a go for sure, but be careful .[/size]

owari !

[quote name='dees72' timestamp='1281918966' post='2640744']
I'm not exactly looking to build an international business empire or anything, or even compete with TSG. But if someone wanted a J-Spec Mizuno fairway wood headcover, maybe I could run down to the store and see if they have one. TSG is higher priced than a few of the local shops here, so if I can do someone a favor then I will.

Okinawa may not be Japan to you, but it's a lot closer than Topeka.
[/quote]

Theres a lot of drivers and fairways that japan gets and we dont get over here(TM comes to mind). Definitely the forged irons as well:

[url="http://www.golftoimpress.com/2010/08/forged-cavity-back-shootout-part-a1-design-and-aesthics/"]http://www.golftoimp...n-and-aesthics/[/url]

Im assuming youre active duty marines or air force? you should be shipping from an APO or something like that on base so the prices will be a lot cheaper? I got accused of selling stuff on ebay when i was stationed in England because I shipped stuff so much lmao. enjoy yourself! Not many people get to live overseas for that long.