D.C. and area

snaphook91

Will be flying into D.C with a friend for the last week of Sept. to catch the Ravens game on Sunday and try to fill the other 4 days with golf. Never been to the area for golf, don't mind driving for a good course and don't mind paying for some really good tracks. Any help would be great and if anyone knows of some fall stay and plays or fall specials. Thanks for the help.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to be up near B-More, you might want to try Bulle Rock in Havre de Grace. Excellent play and the LPGA heads there (or used to head there). It's a challenge though!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Hmmm...some places that you might wanna try: bulle Rock, Raspberry Falls, Whiskey Creek, Renditions, University of Maryland, Lake Presidential. I'm not sure how the other courses are playing, but I hit up UMD yesterday and its not in the best of conditions. Fairways are starting to lose color, seems like the rough, fairways, and greens havent been watered. But if you play it at twilight, its not bad for the price $28 bucks on weekdays after 5pm and its a very challenging course. If you play the tips, its really challenging with most par 4's averaging over 400 yards and 2 of the 4 par 3's at about 230+ yards. Good luck!!!

Testing: Sim2 8*, Mizuno ST-G 220

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Cleveland Mashie 15.5*

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI/Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Three

[quote name='snaphook91' timestamp='1283421914' post='2675102']
Will be flying into D.C with a friend for the last week of Sept. to catch the Ravens game on Sunday and try to fill the other 4 days with golf. Never been to the area for golf, don't mind driving for a good course and don't mind paying for some really good tracks. Any help would be great and if anyone knows of some fall stay and plays or fall specials. Thanks for the help.
[/quote]
All the courses Ionakana mentioned are top notch and would get my recomendation as well. if you're going to be here for 5 days and have 4 of them available for golf you my friend have the potential to have a really good trip with lots of options.

I'm sending you a PM as well.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

snaphook91:
All the courses above are excellent recommendations...another to add - Waverly Woods. If you are trying to squeeze in 36 a day, then the courses up on I-70 are good choices since there's 6 or so nice courses within 15-20 minutes of each other...

PB Dye
Whiskey Creek (mentioned before)
Worthington Manor (where it's hosted a few tournament qualifiers)
Musket Ridge
Maryland National GC
Clustered Spires

Let us know where you end up. A few of us might be able to join you for a round if your interested...

MDHacker

All of the aforementioned are quality tracks. Check out www.mongomerycountygolf.com to find info on decent tracks that have held numerous MSGA qualifiers and events. Living in MD, I've seen first hand the kind of damage this indian summer has done to our sacred grounds. I read an article from the Middle atlantic PGA about how they've basically declared a state of emergency to all superintendents and grounds crews telling them to do their best to just protect the golf course, not keep it in tip top shape. We had a stretch through July and early August where we'd get 5 straight days of 95+ weather during the day, then 90+ temps at night, giving the course no time to grow. Then we'd get a flash thunderstorm that'd produce about 2 inches of rain in 30 minutes and because the roots on most courses are closing up trying to lock in whatever moisture they had, the water would just pool atop the grass then when the sun came out shortly after the storm, the results were devastating.

I've been trying to get a group of guys out to Bulle Rock for about a year now so if you stop in there, please share your thoughts on the layout and conditions. Maybe I'll see you at the ravens game, I'll be the guy in the purple and black camo......haha

Callaway Rogue SZ Fuji Pro Tour Spec 75
Callaway XR with Fubuki J
Titleist 712U - Steelfiber i110
Callaway Apex MB - Steelfiber i110
Callaway MD5 54, 58, 62 Modus 120
Odyssesy White Hot #8

[quote name='InspiredTP' timestamp='1283439641' post='2675465']
All of the aforementioned are quality tracks. Check out www.mongomerycountygolf.com to find info on decent tracks that have held numerous MSGA qualifiers and events. Living in MD, I've seen first hand the kind of damage this indian summer has done to our sacred grounds. I read an article from the Middle atlantic PGA about how they've basically declared a state of emergency to all superintendents and grounds crews telling them to do their best to just protect the golf course, not keep it in tip top shape. We had a stretch through July and early August where we'd get 5 straight days of 95+ weather during the day, then 90+ temps at night, giving the course no time to grow. Then we'd get a flash thunderstorm that'd produce about 2 inches of rain in 30 minutes and because the roots on most courses are closing up trying to lock in whatever moisture they had, the water would just pool atop the grass then when the sun came out shortly after the storm, the results were devastating.

I've been trying to get a group of guys out to Bulle Rock for about a year now so if you stop in there, please share your thoughts on the layout and conditions. Maybe I'll see you at the ravens game, I'll be the guy in the purple and black camo......haha
[/quote]

I was just speaking to a GM at a local course yesterday about that. What I and friend had mistaken for crabgrass is actually goose grass he said. He said GM's and Supers from all over the area are hit with it this summer. The exact factors you mentioned are what caused it he said. I've seen it myself at the last two or three courses I've played.

Vokey

[quote name='thechief16' timestamp='1283443250' post='2675580']
I would add Westfields and Blue Mash.
[/quote]

Two very good choices all be it about 60 miles from each other, but you're right if he is concentrating on MD area then Blue Mash is a very good choice, and if he ventures to NOVA then Westfields is almost always top notch. I say almost as a buddy who's a member on here said he played it recently and the greens were for hell. It's usually one of the best conditioned courses in the entire metro area.

Vokey

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1283447758' post='2675740']
[/quote]

Two very good choices all be it about 60 miles from each other, but you're right if he is concentrating on MD area then Blue Mash is a very good choice, and if he ventures to NOVA then Westfields is almost always top notch. I say almost as a buddy who's a member on here said he played it recently and the greens were for hell. It's usually one of the best conditioned courses in the entire metro area.
[/quote]

I think most courses at this time arent gonna be in the best shape. With the crazy weather, rain, roller-coaster temps, it seems like golf courses arent getting any breaks at all. Every course that I've called about in the past 2 or 3 weeks said they were aerrating(sp?) or were scheduling to in teh near future, so it'll be a good idea to call just in case they are. Carolina golfer, any word on Timbers and how they're doing?

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Cleveland Mashie 15.5*

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

[quote name='ionakana511' timestamp='1283451949' post='2675862']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1283447758' post='2675740']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think most courses at this time arent gonna be in the best shape. With the crazy weather, rain, roller-coaster temps, it seems like golf courses arent getting any breaks at all. Every course that I've called about in the past 2 or 3 weeks said they were aerrating(sp?) or were scheduling to in teh near future, so it'll be a good idea to call just in case they are. Carolina golfer, any word on Timbers and how they're doing?
[/quote]
MDHacker played there yesterday and I was able to get there just in time to see him putt out on 18. So I joined him for a coke in the clubhouse. The greens (well at least 18) looked pretty good. I guess they have recovered from there aeration as well. The above post about goose grass was from Kevin the GM there. But I haven't actually been out on their course in a few weeks, so I can't give a first hand account. Hacker has played it twice in the past week, he shot a 79 yesterday so it must be in pretty decent shape!!

Vokey

Thanks everyone for all the input. I didn't realize how the tough the summer has been in the area. Been looking at some of the courses and there are some really nice looking tracks . Dates that we will be in the area are 24 - 28 Sept so hopefully the conditions will improve for some of the courses. I'll have to check ahead of time and see how things are at some of the courses. Maybe I'll come up with a shortlist that we are condsidering playing and if anyone plays there they can comment on the condition. Thanks again.

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1283447636' post='2675736']

[/quote]

I was just speaking to a GM at a local course yesterday about that. What I and friend had mistaken for crabgrass is actually goose grass he said. He said GM's and Supers from all over the area are hit with it this summer. The exact factors you mentioned are what caused it he said. I've seen it myself at the last two or three courses I've played.
[/quote]

Goose grass you say? Interesting. We've had what I think, and what I've been told are crab grass problems in some spots and I'll have to ask if maybe they are indeed this goose grass. Never heard of it, guess you DO learn something new everyday

Callaway Rogue SZ Fuji Pro Tour Spec 75
Callaway XR with Fubuki J
Titleist 712U - Steelfiber i110
Callaway Apex MB - Steelfiber i110
Callaway MD5 54, 58, 62 Modus 120
Odyssesy White Hot #8

[quote name='InspiredTP' timestamp='1283478469' post='2676629']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1283447636' post='2675736']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Goose grass you say? Interesting. We've had what I think, and what I've been told are crab grass problems in some spots and I'll have to ask if maybe they are indeed this goose grass. Never heard of it, guess you DO learn something new everyday
[/quote]
I'm the same as you I assumed it was crab grass until he corrected me. He said the way to tell the difference is the roots. Crabgrass has very small thin roots, goose grass has very big thick roots. I had never heard of it either. I hope he wasn't pulling my goose :)

Vokey

Snaphook:

Beyond the golf courses, if you are flying to DC I would also suggest that you fly into BWI. I'd rather be shot then to use Reagan or Dulles. As Hacker mentioned, I'm sure there are people here that would like to make a foursome with you and your friend. If you like link style golf, it would be my pleasure if you would like to join me at Hunters Oak. I'm sure we can find a forth.

[quote name='priceless' timestamp='1283538413' post='2677699']
Snaphook:

Beyond the golf courses, if you are flying to DC I would also suggest that you fly into BWI. I'd rather be shot then to use Reagan or Dulles. As Hacker mentioned, I'm sure there are people here that would like to make a foursome with you and your friend. If you like link style golf, it would be my pleasure if you would like to join me at Hunters Oak. I'm sure we can find a forth.
[/quote]

ME ME ME...PICK ME PLEASE (hand raised up and down ) ;)

Vokey

[quote name='ionakana511' timestamp='1283432627' post='2675266']
Hmmm...some places that you might wanna try: bulle Rock, Raspberry Falls, Whiskey Creek, Renditions, University of Maryland, Lake Presidential. I'm not sure how the other courses are playing, but I hit up UMD yesterday and its not in the best of conditions. Fairways are starting to lose color, seems like the rough, fairways, and greens havent been watered. But if you play it at twilight, its not bad for the price $28 bucks on weekdays after 5pm and its a very challenging course. If you play the tips, its really challenging with most par 4's averaging over 400 yards and 2 of the 4 par 3's at about 230+ yards. Good luck!!!
[/quote]

UMD absolutely has teeth. Even though I'm reasonably long, I find it's an absolute beast from the tips. I find the recent re-bunkering does a great job of emphasizing strategic play-it's a better course now than it was a few years ago, for sure. The par 3's are not just long, they're also tricky, with either bunkering or elevation changes conspiring against you, and it's paramount to leave your ball below the hole on most of the par 3 greens. One of them is a poor man's version of the 7th at Pebble--short little wedge shot onto a green way below you, sloping toward the front with bunkers on the sides and a hazard behind. Perhaps I'm a bit biased in favor of this course, since I'm a UMD student and get to play there for 20 bucks on weekdays. It's an absolute bargain for me, although the general rate is not that much worse. I've found the course has been pretty dry of late, but that seems to be the general condition in this area.

PB Dye is beautiful but unfairly designed, IMO. A seemingly perfect drive might wind up putting you in a stance with the ball a foot above your shoes. Despite that, I'd say the Frederick area is a good bet. If you don't feel like taking on PB Dye, then Whiskey Creek, Timbers at Troy, and even a public course, Little Bennett (technically in Montgomery County), are all fun.

I'm going to try to get in a round at Northwest (straightforward, open course whose main challenge is distance) this week.

I live near DC, further from Baltimore than I generally care to travel. If you need someone to play with in the I-495 area, I should be pretty available.

[quote name='professor_doom' timestamp='1283772181' post='2681218']
[/quote]

UMD absolutely has teeth. Even though I'm reasonably long, I find it's an absolute beast from the tips. I find the recent re-bunkering does a great job of emphasizing strategic play-it's a better course now than it was a few years ago, for sure. The par 3's are not just long, they're also tricky, with either bunkering or elevation changes conspiring against you, and it's paramount to leave your ball below the hole on most of the par 3 greens. One of them is a poor man's version of the 7th at Pebble--short little wedge shot onto a green way below you, sloping toward the front with bunkers on the sides and a hazard behind. Perhaps I'm a bit biased in favor of this course, since I'm a UMD student and get to play there for 20 bucks on weekdays. It's an absolute bargain for me, although the general rate is not that much worse. I've found the course has been pretty dry of late, but that seems to be the general condition in this area.

PB Dye is beautiful but unfairly designed, IMO. A seemingly perfect drive might wind up putting you in a stance with the ball a foot above your shoes. Despite that, I'd say the Frederick area is a good bet. If you don't feel like taking on PB Dye, then Whiskey Creek, Timbers at Troy, and even a public course, Little Bennett (technically in Montgomery County), are all fun.

I'm going to try to get in a round at Northwest (straightforward, open course whose main challenge is distance) this week.

I live near DC, further from Baltimore than I generally care to travel. If you need someone to play with in the I-495 area, I should be pretty available.
[/quote]

Yeah...after they renovated the entire course, it definitely has gotten better. It makes you really prioritize placement instead of just trying to grip and rip and get it as far down as possible. UMD and Hampshire is pretty much the course I play a lot and the $28 rate after 5 is definitely a bargain for such a great course though the sun is starting to set a lot earlier now so those days are gone. I tend to play at UMD randomly so if I ever get a chance to make a time a couple of days early, I'll hit you up and maybe we can get a round in. Northwest is a great course too and is plenty long....only bad thing about that place is pace of play is real slow and rounds are averaging about 6 hours now whenever iv'e been there.

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Cleveland Mashie 15.5*

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

[quote name='ionakana511' timestamp='1283868439' post='2683057']
[quote name='professor_doom' timestamp='1283772181' post='2681218']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah...after they renovated the entire course, it definitely has gotten better. It makes you really prioritize placement instead of just trying to grip and rip and get it as far down as possible. UMD and Hampshire is pretty much the course I play a lot and the $28 rate after 5 is definitely a bargain for such a great course though the sun is starting to set a lot earlier now so those days are gone. I tend to play at UMD randomly so if I ever get a chance to make a time a couple of days early, I'll hit you up and maybe we can get a round in. Northwest is a great course too and is plenty long....only bad thing about that place is pace of play is real slow and rounds are averaging about 6 hours now whenever iv'e been there.
[/quote]

Absolutely agree about prioritizing placement. First time I played there after the renovation, I tried just bombing every drive...by the end of the day, I had spent more time in the sand than David Hasselhoff.

Hampshire is a great course, but I can't stand how far apart the holes are. Absolutely not a walker's course, and I walk pretty much exclusively.

Wound up playing Northwest late Monday. Pace of play was actually pretty good after my twosome joined up with two singles--one before us and one after us. My cheif complaint was that the bunkers are some kind of weird sand that makes traditional bunker technique iffy. I wound up pitching out of the bunkers with my LW. Still a fun course if you're good with the driver.

Finally getting a chance to get back and do some lookin around.
A few changes on my end as we ended up picking up 2 more for the trip. Also the football game is out the window now as there are only 2 of us that follow football. On the plus side, that means more golf. It looks like we are going to stick more with the Virginia side. That being said, the couses that are being thrown around are;
-Raspberry Falls
-Virginia Oaks
-Westfeilds
-Stonewall
I would still like to venture up to Whiskey Creek on 1 of the days and looking for another course close by to make a day out of it.
Another possibilty that has come up is a unlimited play and stay at Lansdowne Resort for 2 of the courses there. Has anybody played there ?
Any comments on the conditions of these courses or if anyone thinks I am leaving off a must play, let me know.
Thanks for the insight.

[quote name='snaphook91' timestamp='1284420901' post='2694939']
A few changes on my end as we ended up picking up 2 more for the trip. Also the football game is out the window now as there are only 2 of us that follow football. On the plus side, that means more golf. It looks like we are going to stick more with the Virginia side. That being said, the couses that are being thrown around are;
-Raspberry Falls
-Virginia Oaks
-Westfeilds
-Stonewall
I would still like to venture up to Whiskey Creek on 1 of the days and looking for another course close by to make a day out of it.
Another possibilty that has come up is a unlimited play and stay at Lansdowne Resort for 2 of the courses there. Has anybody played there ?
Any comments on the conditions of these courses or if anyone thinks I am leaving off a must play, let me know.
Thanks for the insight.

[/quote]
Snaphook....thanks for the update. Hey more golf and no football isn't the worst thing in the world :)

As for the courses you mentioned they are all very very good (with the possible exception of Virgina Oaks) it used to be very good but I've heard mixed reviews on it the past couple years but the flip side is they usually have some very attractive deals.

Definitely try and get Whiskey Creek in if you can, we just played it Sunday and it's the best condtioned course I've played since early this year. As we mentioned the hot and dry summer has definitely taken it's toll on many courses, but Whiseky was in phenominal shape. Others close by to make your 36 that day would be PB Dye, Worthington Manor or Musket Ridge in that order. Although it is probably only abouut

As for the Landsdowne stay and play. All I'd say is if that's in your budget, you can't go wrong. Both courses are very strong especially the newer private Greg Norman course. There was talk of moving Tiger's AT&T to that course if Congressional backs out of hosting it after the current contract is up in I think 2016.

One of the guys we played with on Sunday said 1757 is very very good. he said it's pretty tough with water on just about every hole.

Vokey

[quote name='snaphook91' timestamp='1284420901' post='2694939']
-Raspberry Falls
-Virginia Oaks
-Westfeilds
-Stonewall
Thanks for the insight.

[/quote]

Both Stonewall and Rasberry Falls are excellent choices. I personally hated Virginia Oaks... I can't remember ever playing another round of golf where I disliked the course so much.

If you're looking for another course near whiskey, I would recommend Worthington Manor. Having grown up in the Frederick area and played all the courses many times, Worthington is my favorite. PB Dye and Musket Ridge are nice tracks too, but Worthington is definitely tops in my book. I'd stay away from Maryland National. It's not a bad track, but if you're only playing two courses it's not even close to as enjoyable as the others.

Bryan

Hey Bryan...I saw you made it out to Timbers. Having been there yesterday I have to apologize to you for the conditions you most likely experienced. I know you said it wasn't too bad (except for the rain) however I found the course really in rough shape yesterday. Trust me it was in much better shape earlier in the year. The tee boxes have just taken a beating as have several places all around the fairways. There were so many bear patches and hardpan clumpy lies it was really tough to get decent contact.

I know it's a county owned course (however operated by an outside company) and funds are limited but I hope they can get it back to decent shape before the end of the year.

We wil most likely be getting together at least another time or two for small groups in the coming month or so, I'll keep you informed.

Vokey

• 4 months later...

another vote for Bulle Rock, enjoyed my two rounds out there.

9 Callaway Epic Max LS - Diamana White Board 65x but looking around
13.5 Titleist 913F - Diamana ahina 80x
18, 21, & 24 Adams Super DHy Hybrid - Matrix Ozik White Tie Stiff
4-PW PXG 0311T ver2 - KBS 120 Tour
50 Vokey SM6 - DG S200
54 Vokey SM4 - DG S200
56 Vokey SM2 - DG S200 -beater
60 Vokey SM2 - DG S200
Toulon Garage San Diego