Naked?

[quote name='JA5ON ' timestamp='1402033313' post='9440699']
The sound of irons chattering as you walk is one of the sweetest sounds in golf, right next to the sound of metal spikes on a cart path. Go raw and play them the way they were intended.
[/quote] Forged blades sound good. Everything else should be covered.

j/k

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forged Irons will get Dinged up quick if not covered.........these are a pretty cool way to keep them apart [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Golf-Club-Organizer-Clips-Holders-For-All-Wedge-Driver-Putter-Iron-Chipper-/251295265389?pt=US_Golf_Bags&hash=item3a825d726d"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a825d726d[/url]
Beautiful Irons keep them looking that way. Take it Easy, Mike. " Go Play "

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after about 6 rounds with my Callaway Apex irons, I decided to take the iron headcovers off. Wasn't slowing me down or anything but It did get rather tiresome to take covers on and off.

Played a round without the covers and did notice the chatter and a few dings here and there but I don't mind. I suspect it happened when my playing partner got behind the wheel on a few holes, he always manages to drive through the ditches and areas where large tree branches protrude from the ground. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

I've tried them on a brand new set I had custom ordered but got bored of taking them on and off........not worth it

Throw a towel over it and be done or rest a hand on the bag when walking :) I've got one of those Nike 14 way divider carry bags which does help, doesn't lock them in place but its brilliant for organisation

• 3 weeks later...

I keep iron covers on my clubs when I am not playing. I take them off before a round. I keep my clubs in my car so I don't want them clanking constantly when I'm driving. I feel like a bit of a nerd when I go to the range, but who cares.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9 degrees - Ventus Blue 5S
Sim Max 3HL 16.5 - Ventus Red 6S

Callaway Apex UW @21 - Ventus Red 7s
Titleist TS2 4H @23 - Ventus blue 8s
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G- Nippon 950GH
Titleist SM8 54, 60
Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 - Stability Shaft

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 - Stability Tour

• 1 month later...

[quote name='sharkhark' timestamp='1411061156' post='10141247']
Beautiful irons were meant to be admired from a distance when u look at them hanging out of your bag. Covering is like wearing a glove over your wifes engagement ring to show to girlfriends. But to each his own... But never for me.
[/quote]

It might also be like wearing the wedding ring with gloves on to do gardening. It would be easier to leave the ring in the house. Maybe people with irons too beautiful be left without covers should leave them at home where they're safe, then bring an old set of PINGs or Pinnacles to the course for playing golf. To each their own as long as it doesn't slow down play, but in my experience they make slow players even slower. Fast players find a way to to do everything quickly and stealthy. I've played with guys I never even noticed had iron covers because we never waited on them. I've played with guys where I wanted to take those covers and throw them in the trash after a few holes.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

• 2 weeks later...

when i was a kid i had king cobras with a chrome finish that i didn't want to bang up. I had bought iron covers for them to protect my investment. after a while they were such a pain in the but to put on and take off, i went naked. they were going to get dinged up anyway from playing with them. there is no use for iron covers, go naked. u only need covers on an expensive putter and woods.

• 11 months later...

Continental will refinish them. Get the old ones done, and keep the other ones brand spank new. Headcover are fine but a PITA.

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

I bought a new set of 2009 X-forged irons on a whim in 2010. The first year or so, I covered them with a set of cheap nylon covers I got on clearance for a couple dollars. They kept the clubs in pristine condition. The covers wore out, and I did not get more.

I'm a minimalist golfer, using primarily, 7-8-pw, and sometimes 6-9. Now, the 5 clubs are really dinged up, no chrome loss though. The 3-4-5 are literally box new, only been hit a few times.

I like these clubs to the point, I will probably never sell them. So, someday, they'll be at a Goodwill for $2 a club. For $2 a club, someone will have to live with dinged up clubs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To each their own. I don't use them because I buy used clubs that are pre-dinged. And people who I play with who do use them are constantly fumbling with them and losing them. Seems like when I play with people who have iron head covers we have to turn around and go hunt for a lost iron head cover twice a round.

When i see players with iron covers, I think "weak", "p***y", "his wife wears the pants", "embarrassment to men" etc etc

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='rockinar' timestamp='1445048035' post='12467610']
To each their own. I don't use them because I buy used clubs that are pre-dinged. And people who I play with who do use them are constantly fumbling with them and losing them. Seems like when I play with people who have iron head covers we have to turn around and go hunt for a lost iron head cover twice a round.
[/quote]

Next time you're in DFW area, send me a PM, see if you can keep up with our group...challenge flag thrown.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

• 1 month later...

[quote name='wundej' timestamp='1289739385' post='2789583']Don't worry about other opinions. If you want them to look new you have a few options:
[list][*]Iron covers[*]bagboy revolver style bag w/ the cliplock divider[*]snake a towel through them[/list] Who cares what everyone else thinks. I can't believe how passionate people are about this. Some people don't care about resale value, some people don't care about things looking 'new', some people just don't care about their equipment (can't believe how many people just ride around without headcovers on their woods and putters). Don't let any of them sway you if you want to keep your stuff looking new. I've seen some other threads asking the same thing and I swear some people just feel superior to others and feel the need to make fun of others.

Some of the best guys I've played with have used iron covers. Don't worry about what your bag looks like, you know you have nice looking sticks and every time you take a headcover off you'll be happy with what you have.[/quote]

I only get made fun of by the people that don't matter. My friends don't clown me. They hate the covers they've voiced because I'm usually dropping them off the golf cart. My most common playing partner hands me the cover off the cart seat every time I return and jokes he feels like my caddy :)

• 1 year later...

For the first time in ~11 years, since getting my first set of forged irons, I'm playing forged WITHOUT covers. I've always used Club Glove neoprene covers or, most recently, a Chinese copy so I could get them in blue. Have never lost one and have never had an issue just putting the cover in my right pocket while hitting then right back on.

Last week I picked up an Ogio Silencer Cart Bag from RBG after trading in a hoard of Goodwill and Craig's List finds during a 50% trade-in bonus. Had my first round with it on Friday and I can say it does its job, almost completely eliminating chatter while on the cart. I would leave off the almost if I didn't have Golf Pad Tags on my clubs which make them lock in just a bit looser than without the Tags, but it's still good enough to ditch the iron covers.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be an iron cover guy, but strangely enough, when I got my beautiful W/S forged blades, I stopped. Main thing is I kept losing them and would have to buy a new set every year. Plus, it is a pain taking them on and off. Well, after 5 yrs of clanking and chatter, as well as a bunch of bag blow-downs on pavement (that always makes my heart skip a beat), they are well scarred, but it makes it like they are MINE, and have come through the battles, kind of like an old pair of blue jeans.