Naked?

I think it's just a personal preference. Can someone call you a wimp just because you cover your brand new stainless steel BBQ grill? For me, it depends. If I have a set of brand new forged irons and I have to ride in a cart, I would definitely use iron covers because my partner in the drivers seat might not care about my brand new forged irons. But if I'm walking, I'd just put a towel around the clubs.

I do understand that Golf is a game of machoness. I see people brag out their 300+ yd drives and 180+ yd 9 iron all the time. But to me, it is a game of self awareness and accuracy. If it makes you feel happy, go for it.

But then again, I might be a little biased since I just bought a brand new set of forged irons and I'd like to keep them that way at least for the duration of the honeymoon period by using iron covers:)

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on a couple of things.

I use covers on mine but I use the Castle Bay covers which only take a second to take off and put on. I see some people using those cheap neoprene ones that dont really fit clubs so they take forever trying to put them back on.

If I am walking the course using my push cart, then I dont put my Castle Bays on as they dont bang around that much when walking.

• 3 weeks later...

Love my 1025M's, and their battle scars. They're too nice looking to cover up. Weave a towel and call it good.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a set of new Epon 502's and using head covers for the first time in my life. At that price and with that kind of softness in an iron, you can bet I will continue to do so and I'm a complete slob in many other areas of my life.

Would you take your new Lamborghini and put it outside for all to see or park it in the garage and use it when you need it?

• 1 month later...

Yep!
Agreed

[quote name='mglynn10' timestamp='1317911099' post='3633677']
No cover's for me. I like to drap my towel in between the clubs. If it happens they get some bag chatter, than so be it. In my mind it adds some character to the clubs and shows that your game your equipment.
[/quote]

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Club condoms rule!

As someone said, takes maybe 2 seconds, and all my forgings look nearly new.

Only 'battle scars' should be on the clubface.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

My mizzys are beat after one season... Look 3 years+ old already. But, I wont do it. Just feels dorky to me. Kinda like wearing a nose plug/goggles swimming at a resort. [quote name='golfdad907' timestamp='1320897270' post='3782135']
Club condoms rule!

As someone said, takes maybe 2 seconds, and all my forgings look nearly new.

Only 'battle scars' should be on the clubface.
[/quote]

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

I think the answer really depends on so many factors:

[list][*]I don't use covers, even on my drivers and woods, but I also have an OGIO bag with the Woode section and none of my woodheads ever touch each other. (At least not while I'm looking :cheesy:)[*]If you carry I don't think they're really necessary, I carry and the only clubs that hit eachother are the irons and only lightly (again, the OGIO bags are great for separating the woods), I actually put my hand around some of the iron heads to stop them from chattering, not because I'm worried about chatter, but because the 'click-clack' sound drives me NUTS; I find it similar to water torture. Of course, I can't hold all the irons, so most still get light bag chatter.[*]If you ride, I would say they could be worth it as cart riding bashes the chit out of your clubs. Enough so that you're going to loose chrome early. And I've seen faces even that were pretty chattered; I can't imagine that helps with ball-striking consistency.[*]If you have anything besides forged irons, I don't really see the point. The materials are generally hard enough you're not really going to get any chatter.[*]Certainly if you might be selling the clubs, then use them, I have used them for this reason on multiple sets that I was demoing and it really makes a huge difference on resale value.[*]I personally think that folks who use them (barring the above points, and some others I've missed / forgotten) are a little too caught up in the whole materialism aspect of golf equipment. But I also understand wanting to keep your investment looking nice, after all, they're not usually cheap.[/list]To the folks out there that use covers to "protect their babies" as one of my very anti-nice-equipment friends says, I can tell you that the day you stop worrying about protecting your clubs, it will be like a weight lifted of your chest. You can't control the world. Just let go.

AND HERE'S A GOOD LESSON FOR US ALL:

That anti-nice-equipment friend I mentioned... plays a $10 mail-order no-name driver, a no-name fairway wood he found in a dumpster with a big ball-size dent in the crown and a dented steel shaft, knock off PING irons with rusty shafts, two knock-off wedges and a putter he traded for a cart fee one day, he's never changed his grips, ever; they're all shiny and cracked. He has no idea what any of his club specs are. The last time I asked him how many clubs he carried he didn't know, we had to count and he only had 12... counting his putter. SCRATCH PLAYER.:russian_roulette:

[quote name='dan360' timestamp='1289719637' post='2789496']
Drape a towel over them; they won't chatter as much.
[/quote]

+1 I just hang my towel on my clubs when I carry them (use a longer towel without a bag carabiner).

Also, you need some battle scars dude. I like the dings I have on my irons. It means I use them and dont just keep em to look nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Jeepguy1981' timestamp='1322287405' post='3852995']
I use covers on driver, woods, hybrids, and putter only. But my irons are PINGS so they hold up well. If I played forged clubs I might consider using covers on those.
[/quote]

I always use covers (Castle Bay thick neoprene or runner, whtatever they're made of) on forged irons....mine look new, except for battle scars on faces...which is where they shold be worn, not beat to death against each other, IMOHO.

I don't see how being all nicked up on the back of the club is considered 'sexy, cool, hip, or whatever' it is, as clubs aren't designed to be hit on the back of the club.

YMMV...

X Forged C Grind 52*
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow

[quote name='golfdad907' timestamp='1326761788' post='4096069']
I use covers on driver, woods, hybrids, and putter only. But my irons are PINGS so they hold up well. If I played forged clubs I might consider using covers on those.
[/quote]

I always use covers (Castle Bay thick neoprene or runner, whtatever they're made of) on forged irons....mine look new, except for battle scars on faces...which is where they shold be worn, not beat to death against each other, IMOHO.

[b]I don't see how being all nicked up on the back of the club is considered 'sexy, cool, hip, or whatever' it is, as clubs aren't designed to be hit on the back of the[/b] [b]club.
[/b]
YMMV...
[/quote]

Used to think this way as well, but what's the point of having a club with a purty back and a rusty worn out face? You are not gonna get morre money for them selling them that way. I used to be OCD and cover them but now I don't. Pointless since the faces wear out first and get chrome loss.

[quote name='SHORTBUTSTR8' timestamp='1326764456' post='4096335']
[quote name='golfdad907' timestamp='1326761788' post='4096069']
[/quote]

[b]I don't see how being all nicked up on the back of the club is considered 'sexy, cool, hip, or whatever' it is, as clubs aren't designed to be hit on the back of the[/b] [b]club.
[/b]
YMMV...
[/quote]

Agree to disagree :sorry: , I guess, cuz my faces normally dont' rust as they're cleaned after each round so no fertilizer and other stuff can start rusting.

I have so many sets, I never wear chrome off, and who's faces are chromed?

I also know that I'll get more (other than PGA Value Guide or trade-in at GG) IF I go to sell a set...I've sold a few in my day.

Each to his own, I just take care of my equipment more that some...like a soldier and his rifle, each cares for the other
Used to think this way as well, but what's the point of having a club with a purty back and a rusty worn out face? You are not gonna get morre money for them selling them that way. I used to be OCD and cover them but now I don't. Pointless since the faces wear out first and get chrome loss.
[/quote]

X Forged C Grind 52*
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow

• 6 months later...

[quote name='wundej' timestamp='1289739385' post='2789583']
Don't worry about other opinions. If you want them to look new you have a few options:
[list]
[*]Iron covers
[*]bagboy revolver style bag w/ the cliplock divider
[*]snake a towel through them
[/list]
Who cares what everyone else thinks. I can't believe how passionate people are about this. Some people don't care about resale value, some people don't care about things looking 'new', some people just don't care about their equipment (can't believe how many people just ride around without headcovers on their woods and putters). Don't let any of them sway you if you want to keep your stuff looking new. I've seen some other threads asking the same thing and I swear some people just feel superior to others and feel the need to make fun of others.

Some of the best guys I've played with have used iron covers. Don't worry about what your bag looks like, you know you have nice looking sticks and every time you take a headcover off you'll be happy with what you have.
[/quote]

+1 why is everyone so hung up on what everyone else thinks of them. If you want to keep your irons looking pristine than more power to you. I just got a set of forged irons and I am still trying to decide whether or not I want headcovers or not. I bet some of the guys that are anti-cover wouldn't dream of running around with a tiny dent or blemish on their car. I am kind of anal about having my stuff look good so in the long run I will probably get some covers although I told myself that if I didn't use them and my irons get beat to hell I would have a good excuse to try a different set of heads :busted2:
Let your game do the talking and not your bag. There are plenty of guys out there who have staff bags, the latest gear from Titleist or some other OEM, only play Pro V1's and can't break 110. In my experience it's usually the guy's that aren't walking around looking like wannabe tour players that walk away with all of the cash at the end of a round. Do what make's you happy and forget the b.s.

One season I bought some iron covers to protect my irons. I finally gave up the idea because I felt I was spending to much time on taking them on and off and it overall was a distraction to my game. On the other hand I so have a few stickers on my car that I picked up on vacation in Cape Cod that read "Golf Naked!"

I've been using the same set of Taylormade TP CB MB combo irons without covers for around 8 years and they still look great. .why? because I clean them after every shot and they've never had dirt on them for more than 3 mins at a time.

So, I don't think covers are necessary - just keep them nice and clean

[quote name='daverain1' timestamp='1290050909' post='2796118']
Iron covers are the sure sign of a hacker who felt the need for a useless golf gadget. You can bet there's a ball retreiver and some type of score counter with the bag too.
[/quote]

And posts like this are a sure sign that you are a pompous jerk. I use iron covers, and I'm a 2 handicap. And I DO carry a ball retriever too, because I'm not made of money like some of you guys must be. If I hit a $4 ball into a water hazard and I can get to it, I will as long as I'm playing by myself and I don't have people waiting behind me. There is way too much self-righteous "purist" B.S. on this forum. Golf is about you and your own personal enjoyment of the game. If headcovers and gadgets add to your enjoyment, then go for it. You shouldn't give a crap about "stigma" or what anybody else thinks. If the few seconds that it takes to remove or replace a headcover bothers you that much when you're playing with someone who uses them, then you're probably a dick. Your thirty-second pre-shot routine is much more annoying, trust me. You guys need to grow up and stop disrespecting your fellow golfers. What is or isn't in their bags is their choice to make. I think it's absolutely retarded to spend hundreds of dollars on a putter, but if you've got more money than brains, have at it. There, that's my two cents. Let the ******-baggery continue.
Oh, and to the gentleman who posted the comment I quoted, learn how to spell. It's "retriever" not "retreiver". Remember, i before e...

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

[quote name='drumdude96' timestamp='1342752771' post='5313114']
[quote name='daverain1' timestamp='1290050909' post='2796118']
Iron covers are the sure sign of a hacker who felt the need for a useless golf gadget. You can bet there's a ball retreiver and some type of score counter with the bag too.
[/quote]

And posts like this are a sure sign that you are a pompous jerk. I use iron covers, and I'm a 2 handicap. And I DO carry a ball retriever too, because I'm not made of money like some of you guys must be. If I hit a $4 ball into a water hazard and I can get to it, I will as long as I'm playing by myself and I don't have people waiting behind me. There is way too much self-righteous "purist" B.S. on this forum. Golf is about you and your own personal enjoyment of the game. If headcovers and gadgets add to your enjoyment, then go for it. You shouldn't give a crap about "stigma" or what anybody else thinks. If the few seconds that it takes to remove or replace a headcover bothers you that much when you're playing with someone who uses them, then you're probably a dick. Your thirty-second pre-shot routine is much more annoying, trust me. You guys need to grow up and stop disrespecting your fellow golfers. What is or isn't in their bags is their choice to make. I think it's absolutely retarded to spend hundreds of dollars on a putter, but if you've got more money than brains, have at it. There, that's my two cents. Let the ******-baggery continue.
Oh, and to the gentleman who posted the comment I quoted, learn how to spell. It's "retriever" not "retreiver". Remember, i before e...
[/quote]
best post of the thread!

[quote name='golfsmygame' timestamp='1289711747' post='2789418']
OK. You just spent 800.00 on a beautiful set of forged blades. They are blinging chrome and oh so soft and fragile. Do you put covers on them and l[b]ook like a weenie,[/b] or let fate take it's course and slowly turn you prized possession to[b] beaten up warsticks[/b]. I am truly torn. I own 2 sets a Mac 1025 M's. I just took out the new set and compared them to the old set, 5 years old played without covers. I am thinking I would like to keep them pristine. So I am going to put it to a poll. Covers or not. Thanks for your input.
[/quote]

You don't want to look like a weenie. The beaten up look will give a more rugged impression to your character, a man of substance and a fellow-warrior. You will get tired of putting on and off iron covers and will lose some of them anyway. Just be a man!!!

[quote name='Colum' timestamp='1342950083' post='5325632']
[quote name='golfsmygame' timestamp='1289711747' post='2789418']
OK. You just spent 800.00 on a beautiful set of forged blades. They are blinging chrome and oh so soft and fragile. Do you put covers on them and l[b]ook like a weenie,[/b] or let fate take it's course and slowly turn you prized possession to[b] beaten up warsticks[/b]. I am truly torn. I own 2 sets a Mac 1025 M's. I just took out the new set and compared them to the old set, 5 years old played without covers. I am thinking I would like to keep them pristine. So I am going to put it to a poll. Covers or not. Thanks for your input.
[/quote]

You don't want to look like a weenie. The beaten up look will give a more rugged impression to your character, a man of substance and a fellow-warrior. You will get tired of putting on and off iron covers and will lose some of them anyway. Just be a man!!!
[/quote]

And make your clubs look like they've been bounced down the cart path....truly a way to treat clubs you won't be able to buy anymore (NOT).

X Forged C Grind 52*
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow