NXT Tour vs ProV1X

hurricanes7

[quote name='blhoff' timestamp='1290443782' post='2802435']
I played NXT Tours for a few years until Titleist launched the 2009 version. The old NXT Tour never had the feel of the ProV1x but it was plenty long enough. The current NXT Tour is a step backwards so I switched to ProV1x until I found Nike One Blacks. I'm down to my last dozen Blacks so will probably move to the Tour D next.
I don't care what the marketing people say, if you don't have sufficient swingspeed then you really can't get any advantage out of a ProV.
[/quote]

whats the difference between the old nxt and the new nxt, they feel the same to me

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='blhoff' timestamp='1290443782' post='2802435']
I played NXT Tours for a few years until Titleist launched the 2009 version. The old NXT Tour never had the feel of the ProV1x but it was plenty long enough. The current NXT Tour is a step backwards so I switched to ProV1x until I found Nike One Blacks. I'm down to my last dozen Blacks so will probably move to the Tour D next.
I don't care what the marketing people say, if you don't have sufficient swingspeed then you really can't get any advantage out of a ProV.
[/quote]

Exactly. Too many people play the Pro V's without understanding the necessary speed needed to get the ball to perform correctly.

[quote name='stansoph' timestamp='1290463300' post='2802902']
[quote]

Exactly. Too many people play the Pro V's without understanding the necessary speed needed to get the ball to perform correctly.
[/quote]
The LPGA has ladies that play the ProV1 and the ProV1X; they have slow swing speeds.
[/quote]

+1. LPGA 7i 140yrds using Prov1x

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

[quote name='caller' timestamp='1290463653' post='2802912']
[quote]

[/quote]
The LPGA has ladies that play the ProV1 and the ProV1X; they have slow swing speeds.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Think you guys need to take into account that many players on the LPGA tour would have a softer Prov1x designed for them. They don't use the same balls that are available to the general public.

[quote name='simonv05' timestamp='1290469822' post='2803053']
[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Think you guys need to take into account that many players on the LPGA tour would have a softer Prov1x designed for them. They don't use the same balls that are available to the general public.
[/quote]

Doubt it ............,Why they don't have for sale if one exists ?

The AAAAA NXT balls at Lostgolfballs.com are one of the best bargains in golf. I love the performance - in particular in cold weather where they carry much better than ProVs.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

My father-in-law gets ProVs as gifts all the time. He's in his 70s with a very slow swing speed...I traded him 10 dozen Karmas for 5 dozen ProVs. Initially he was opposed to it - but after he hit them ONCE, he got it...

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='Ezgolfer' timestamp='1290470569' post='2803071']
[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Doubt it ............,Why they don't have for sale if one exists ?
[/quote]

Because they are specifically designed for the pros. Do you really think Tiger & Phil play the same balls as us? Not a chance.

Striaght from Titelist website ...

[b]LPGA TOUR:[/b][b] [/b][b]Cristie Kerr[/b] ([url="http://www.titleist.com/golfballs/prov1.asp"]Pro V1[/url]) held on to win the weather-delayed LPGA State Farm Classic on Monday, closing out a final-round 3-under 69 to win by one shot. Kerr, who earned her 13th LPGA victory, finished at 22-under 266, one shot better than two players, including [url="http://www.titleist.com/golfballs/ProV1x.aspx"]Pro V1x[/url] loyalist, [b]Na Yeon Choi[/b]. Kerr held a share of the tournament lead at 20-under when play was suspended Sunday afternoon due to lightning. [b]Shanshan Feng[/b] ([url="http://www.titleist.com/golfballs/ProV1x.aspx"]Pro V1x[/url]) and [b]Hee Young Park[/b] ([url="http://www.titleist.com/golfballs/prov1.asp"]Pro V1[/url]) tied for fourth place, a further shot back at 20-under 268. Kerr's win was the first for an American on the LPGA tour this season.

According to the Darrell Survey, Titleist was the overwhelming [b]GOLF[/b][b] BALL[/b] of choice at the LPGA State Farm Classic with 111 players, more than six times the nearest competitor with 18. In fact, of the 10 players who finished tied for eighth place or better at the LPGA State Farm Classic, 9 trusted a Titleist golf ball for their success.

Some of these players use Prov1x as well. I doubt that they make a special tour version of titelist balls for LPGA . Titelist would list it as prototype Prov1 or Prov1x if that was the case .

[quote name='Ezgolfer' timestamp='1290474018' post='2803169']

[b]LPGA TOUR:[/b][b] [/b][b]Cristie Kerr[/b] ([url="http://www.titleist.com/golfballs/prov1.asp"]Pro V1[/url]) held on to win the weather-delayed LPGA State Farm Classic on Monday, closing out a final-round 3-under 69 to win by one shot. Kerr, who earned her 13th LPGA victory, finished at 22-under 266, one shot better than two players, including [url="http://www.titleist.com/golfballs/ProV1x.aspx"]Pro V1x[/url] loyalist, [b]Na Yeon Choi[/b]. Kerr held a share of the tournament lead at 20-under when play was suspended Sunday afternoon due to lightning. [b]Shanshan Feng[/b] ([url="http://www.titleist.com/golfballs/ProV1x.aspx"]Pro V1x[/url]) and [b]Hee Young Park[/b] ([url="http://www.titleist.com/golfballs/prov1.asp"]Pro V1[/url]) tied for fourth place, a further shot back at 20-under 268. Kerr's win was the first for an American on the LPGA tour this season.

According to the Darrell Survey, Titleist was the overwhelming [b]GOLF[/b][b] BALL[/b] of choice at the LPGA State Farm Classic with 111 players, more than six times the nearest competitor with 18. In fact, of the 10 players who finished tied for eighth place or better at the LPGA State Farm Classic, 9 trusted a Titleist golf ball for their success.

Some of these players use Prov1x as well. I doubt that they make a special tour version of titelist balls for LPGA . Titelist would list it as prototype Prov1 or Prov1x if that was the case .

[/quote]

some of the ladies on tour hit the ball further then some guys on this site

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

[quote name='Ezgolfer' timestamp='1290474018' post='2803169']

[/quote]

Did you not hear about the special prototype ball Nike made for Tiger had the British Open? This type of thing happens all the time. All LPGA golfers could use the prov1x with their swing speeds. Many are well above 95 mph SS with the driver. In fact, all professional golfers could use the Prov1x. But, most high profile professionals have balls specifically made to their swing. Tiger, Phil, Furyk, among others. Do a little research and you will find it.

Myth at best except few tour players e.g Tiger and Mickelson using a prototype ball which in some cases may be the next generation ball not yet available to public .
Here is titelist website showing the players and the box next to them http://www.titleist.com/players/.
I agree that the balls for tour players undergo rigrous inspection and quality control.
Titelist is very particular in specifying prototype , if a player is using equipment such as iron and putter not listed or not the same as retail .

[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I disagree... women don't have nearly the same influence over equipment manufactures as the men do, in part because of their draw, and for a variety of others physical reasons. To see what I am talking about note how many tour vans show up at the average LPGA event; not nearly as many as the regular tour, same is true for the Champions tour. Furthermore, my PGA buddy gets pallets of Titleist balls delivered to his home and they are not custom made for him; neither are the ProV's that a retired LPGA pal in TX gets.

Age and strength have nothing to do with why someone would choose a ProV or ProV1X over a softer ball. I know older guys in their 70's, and women that don't have the stated SS for ProV's yet they play them; my 13 index wife is one. Superior ball control is important to many golfers; besides all that's happening is the ProV goes the same distance as the softer ball. They just can't benefit from the balls full capabilities.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1290477686' post='2803307']
[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I disagree... women don't have nearly the same influence over equipment manufactures as the men do, in part because of their draw, and for a variety of others physical reasons. To see what I am talking about note how many tour vans show up at the average LPGA event; not nearly as many as the regular tour, same is true for the Champions tour. Furthermore, my PGA buddy gets pallets of Titleist balls delivered to his home and they are not custom made for him; neither are the ProV's that a retired LPGA pal in TX gets.

Age and strength have nothing to do with why someone would choose a ProV or ProV1X over a softer ball. I know older guys in their 70's, and women that don't have the stated SS for ProV's yet they play them; my 13 index wife is one. Superior ball control is important to many golfers; besides all that's happening is the ProV goes the same distance as the softer ball. They just can't benefit from the balls full capabilities.
[/quote]

can we get back to the PROV1 vs NXT tour debate and not get into the LPGA?

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1290517009' post='2803794']
[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Grabbed 8 Dozen NXT Tour's from one of my Tour buddies. Under $50. Don't think you can beat that deal. Have you decided what direction you are going in yet?

[quote name='simonv05' timestamp='1290517446' post='2803799']
[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Grabbed 8 Dozen NXT Tour's from one of my Tour buddies. Under $50. Don't think you can beat that deal. Have you decided what direction you are going in yet?
[/quote]

want to sell some for xmas?

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1290517802' post='2803804']
[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Would certainly be willing to help a friend out. Let me know how many you are looking at. I'll see what I can do.

[quote name='simonv05' timestamp='1290518521' post='2803818']
[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Would certainly be willing to help a friend out. Let me know how many you are looking at. I'll see what I can do.
[/quote]

why did i red this tread. i am using prov1x and is long for me and suit my short game, i will try the NXT Tour. let me know if you have xtra cheap for sale.

Thanks
-viper

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

does your buddies have xtra, i want to try the NXT Tour, currently gaming v1x at the moment.

-viper

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

[quote name='viperstudio' timestamp='1290521349' post='2803864']
[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

does your buddies have xtra, i want to try the NXT Tour, currently gaming v1x at the moment.

-viper
[/quote]

I can always get more I'm sure. Let me know how many you are interested in.

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1290447781' post='2802535']
[quote name='blhoff' timestamp='1290443782' post='2802435']I played NXT Tours for a few years until Titleist launched the 2009 version. The old NXT Tour never had the feel of the ProV1x but it was plenty long enough. The current NXT Tour is a step backwards so I switched to ProV1x until I found Nike One Blacks. I'm down to my last dozen Blacks so will probably move to the Tour D next. I don't care what the marketing people say, if you don't have sufficient swingspeed then you really can't get any advantage out of a ProV.[/quote]whats the difference between the old nxt and the new nxt, they feel the same to me
[/quote]

Getting back to the original topic. I can't tell you specifically what changed. What I do know is that Callaway won a patent infringement suit against Titleist in 2008. As a result, Titleist had to change the way they make their balls. I believe Titleist had to change the ionomer covers. Whatever they did, what I noticed was the the NXT ball cover became much less durable off my irons and wedges. Some of my friends who also played the NXT Tour noticed the same thing and changed balls too. Titleist appealed the ruling.

I agree that the NXT tour is a great ball as said above. I may be in the minority but I would play the NXT tour more but they always get big scuffs after just a wedge shot or two for me. I can go a whole round with a prov1/x and not have that. I wish the cover of the NXT tour lasted a little longer.

[quote name='lewis17web' timestamp='1290528994' post='2804111']
I agree that the NXT tour is a great ball as said above. I may be in the minority but I would play the NXT tour more but they always get big scuffs after just a wedge shot or two for me. I can go a whole round with a prov1/x and not have that. I wish the cover of the NXT tour lasted a little longer.
[/quote]

Try the 2007 model. Terrific ball if you are having durability problems.

[/quote]

thats the opposite for me because i scuff the Prov1x much more then the nxt. i just got done with 2 rounds with an NXT Tour and it looks totally fine. go figure

[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

4 cases sound okay? i live in NY

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1290559729' post='2805496']
[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

PM me, we will go from there.

[/quote]

This is a pretty interesting read. http://media.titleist.com/images/titleist/pdfs/AU/AU_TitleistGolfBall_PerformanceFittingGuide.pdf

Look how close the NXT tour is to the Pro V1x. Only major difference is half wedge shots.

The lower spin rates is the reason I prefer it. Just as long for me (105-110 SS) and much straighter. I don't need super spin into greens.

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1290559729' post='2805496']
[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Received some more today. So let me know either way.