NXT Tour vs ProV1X

hurricanes7

[quote name='SolarAegis' timestamp='1290019746' post='2795159']
[quote name='simonv05' timestamp='1290019591' post='2795154']
[quote name='SolarAegis' timestamp='1290007121' post='2794842']
[quote name='simonv05' timestamp='1289952389' post='2793951']
[quote name='SolarAegis' timestamp='1289951822' post='2793937']
If there was a Titleist ball in between the V1x and the NXT that would be ideal for me. I typically play the V1x because I love the spin characteristics on shots inside 50 yards, but the high spin rate does sometimes have a negative impact on my drives and longer shots. I hit the ball very high already and I tend to get occasional ballooning effect with the V1x. The NXT is longer and I have more control on longer shots with the lower spin and my high ball stops it on the green, but it isn't as versatile for me around the greens and it feels a little "hard" off the driver. Never have any issue playing a V1x through 18 holes. They tend to hold up fine for me.
[/quote]

Yes, it all depends on your swing. I hit the ball very hard, so after a few wedge shots with a Pro V1x, it is useless. The NXT Tour however will last much longer. Also, if you don't always make pure contact, the Pro V1x can last. For me, my long game is more important then my short game, as I tend to play very long golf courses. So the control into the green, is more important then the control around the green.
[/quote]

Strange. I'm a 7 hdcp and have a driver clubhead speed of 110-112. I hit it plenty hard too and have no durability issues with the V1x. I even have new irons......I can tell you that long game, statistically, is never going to be as important to me as short game. That's where all the shot are.....
[/quote]

Short game is important forsure. But if I'm hitting 14 greens a round with the NXT Tour instead of 10 or 11 with the Pro V1x, then I don't care if its better around the green because I have those extra 3 or 4 birdie putts per round.
[/quote]

This is true!
[/quote]

Of course, if I keep missing all those birdie putts, then its all for not. Stupid game...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='SolarAegis' timestamp='1290019746' post='2795159']
If there was a Titleist ball in between the V1x and the NXT that would be ideal for me. I typically play the V1x because I love the spin characteristics on shots inside 50 yards, but the high spin rate does sometimes have a negative impact on my drives and longer shots. I hit the ball very high already and I tend to get occasional ballooning effect with the V1x. The NXT is longer and I have more control on longer shots with the lower spin and my high ball stops it on the green, but it isn't as versatile for me around the greens and it feels a little "hard" off the driver. Never have any issue playing a V1x through 18 holes. They tend to hold up fine for me.
[/quote]

Yes, it all depends on your swing. I hit the ball very hard, so after a few wedge shots with a Pro V1x, it is useless. The NXT Tour however will last much longer. Also, if you don't always make pure contact, the Pro V1x can last. For me, my long game is more important then my short game, as I tend to play very long golf courses. So the control into the green, is more important then the control around the green.
[/quote]

Strange. I'm a 7 hdcp and have a driver clubhead speed of 110-112. I hit it plenty hard too and have no durability issues with the V1x. I even have new irons......I can tell you that long game, statistically, is never going to be as important to me as short game. That's where all the shot are.....
[/quote]

Short game is important forsure. But if I'm hitting 14 greens a round with the NXT Tour instead of 10 or 11 with the Pro V1x, then I don't care if its better around the green because I have those extra 3 or 4 birdie putts per round.
[/quote]

This is true!
[/quote]

Of course, if I keep missing all those birdie putts, then its all for not. Stupid game...

Take a gander at this. Pretty interesting #'s.
http://Not allowed Per Todaysgolfer's UK request/Golf/News/searchresults/March-09/2009-Golf-Balls-Test/

Do a google search for "golf ball spin rate test" and look at the numbers for todaysgolfer UK.
The numbers are astounding.

Ping G430 LST 98 VenTUS Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1290020065' post='2795172']
[url="http://Not"]http://Not[/url] allowed Per Todaysgolfer's UK request/Golf/News/searchresults/March-09/2009-Golf-Balls-Test/
[/quote]

Link not working. I tried to dress it up but couldn't find the site. Could you please edit? Would love to see what it says....Thanks!

[quote name='SolarAegis' timestamp='1290020538' post='2795186']
[url="http://Not"]http://Not[/url] allowed Per Todaysgolfer's UK request/Golf/News/searchresults/March-09/2009-Golf-Balls-Test/
[/quote]

Link not working. I tried to dress it up but couldn't find the site. Could you please edit? Would love to see what it says....Thanks!
[/quote]
Look at previous post. I guess we're not allowed to post certain links.

Some interesting #'s to note from the ball test of premium balls.
Spin rates can differ as much 1000-1900rpms in premium balls. Yes. Read the test results if you can find it.
Malcom Mackenzie (former Euro Tour player w/ Golfwrx-esque clubhead speeds) got 262 carry w/ V1x and 241 carry w/ V1. 1200 rpm difference in spin rates. It's no wonder why some here claim some crazy gains in distances by changing balls. They change to a new ball and voila 1000-1900 less spin off driver. It's no wonder why I've always felt the V1x was much longer for me. Man I'm dumping my Pro V1's and sticking only to V1x.

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1290021188' post='2795207']
[quote name='SolarAegis' timestamp='1290020538' post='2795186']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Look at previous post. I guess we're not allowed to post certain links.

Some interesting #'s to note from the ball test of premium balls.
Spin rates can differ as much 1000-1900rpms in premium balls. Yes. Read the test results if you can find it.
Malcom Mackenzie (former Euro Tour player w/ Golfwrx-esque clubhead speeds) got 262 carry w/ V1x and 241 carry w/ V1. 1200 rpm difference in spin rates. It's no wonder why some here claim some crazy gains in distances by changing balls. They change to a new ball and voila 1000-1900 less spin off driver. It's no wonder why I've always felt the V1x was much longer for me. Man I'm dumping my Pro V1's and sticking only to V1x as well as Nike One Tour D.
[/quote]

Type in March-09/2009-Golf-Balls-Test/ in google. It is insane how different balls work differently for certain people. Pro V's are some of the shortest golf balls I have ever hit. Average over 10 yards longer with NXT Tours, almost 10 yards with Nike. Crazy

Just checked out pg2 and pg 3. Holy moly, look at those crazy difference in distances by changing balls. EJ got 260 plus carry w/ the Titleist PTS Carry. At least I know which balls I'm not buying. Very informative test.

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

*groan* Looks like one of TG's famous unscientific tests - the same mag had the Ram Lithium Balata as the best all round ball a few years ago :russian_roulette:

Nice to see how the average handicap golfer generates more backspin with their driver than their wedge on a distance ball and still hits it shorter than a performance ball too. Really conclusive testing there guys.

Do a google search for "golf ball spin rate test" and look at the numbers for todaysgolfer UK.
The numbers are astounding.
[/quote]

What is weak with that study is that they are not telling us about the process of testing. We know that they made it with different player calibers but don't know how many shots they hit each with a specific ball? Did they eliminated aberrations or not? What were their misses if they did not? This cannot be possible to have huge differences like that with shot similarly struck simply based on player calibers and swing speed (the data they gave us) differences. Human are not robot and cannot repeat their swings from time to time, even more when the player handicap is going up. I would be careful with that study without more details. I guess they wanted to prove that some golfers are playing balls that are not for them, which I totally agree with.

I came across an interesting document about ball compressions. Couple that with the robot spin rates testing that Golf Digest did and showed in two charts, one for Driver spin rates at 96mph swing speed and another one for half wedges and you have a good idea of ball spins. I am not an engineer at all but balls compression might have an impact on distance if you have a lower swing speed with a high compression rated ball.

I tried to attached the PDF document, hope it will work.

I just ordered myself some Bridgestone e5+ based on those two documents to see if I can replace my Callaway ix's. I found very similar spin ratings to them both with a little less compression for the Bridgestone(107 vs 95).

I have swing speed around 105 with the driver. But swing speeds are decreasing with the others clubs, I want to see if it can be better overall.
Next year I might have a better idea since season as ended for me sadly.

Did anyone look at the wedge results of the prov1x? yes, it bombs with the driver, but that "pro" hit all the high spin balls the best with the driver, and spin was higher as well! however, the wedge went almost 10 yards further w/the prov over the x model! The test seems very strange, and I could not help but notice what a bomber the e7 was on page 2!

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Even though studies of this or that are great reading... I have never found scientific / robot or even touring pro testing worthy when it comes to amateurs because not only do many such tests have biases, what they realize and what amateurs actually do are so widely different - it's funny. Kinda like comparing a GT3 RS to a Chevrolet, or even a Toyota Altezza prepped for drifting.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1290029740' post='2795446']
Even though studies of this or that are great reading... I have never found scientific / robot or even touring pro testing worthy when it comes to amateurs because not only do many such tests have biases, what they realize and what amateurs actually do are so widely different - it's funny. Kinda like comparing a GT3 RS to a Chevrolet, or even a Toyota Altezza prepped for drifting.

[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts. I have seen other players with similar handicap than me with way different golf swings. Handicap means not much in regards to swing speed and angle of attack! That is why I am using it to narrow down choices and learn on technical stuff to some extend. But I'll test myself from there with a fairly reasonable sample(read more than few shots here)!

Cheers!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

THAT IS BY FAR THE BEST THING I READ ON THIS ENTIRE POST. SOUNDS TO ME WITH THOSE RESULTS YOU WOULD SCORE BETTER WITH A NXT?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1289999148' post='2794683']
[quote name='beckk10' timestamp='1289960511' post='2794237']
i desperately need to switch ti nxt tours. i lose to many golf balls to play prov's....but i do. its a sickness
[/quote]

how much longer did you find the NXT to be over the PROv off the driver because i was hitting it 15 yards further and the irons were about 10 yards longer.
that matters big time. the 2nd question is the sidespin- my mistakes were much more playable with the NXT over the prov. combine the 2 of those and its a no brainer.
i hit a bunch of balls side by side and NXT was the clear winner
[/quote]

whats your swingspeed?? i actually dont notice a diffrence in distance. only difference i could tell is on shots from about 130 and in come off a little higher with less spin. if it was 10-15 yards longer without question i would be playing it as i already spin the ball way to much

Mavrik 9* set -1 w/ Ventus Black 6tx

Mavrik SZ 15 w/ Rouge 80x tipped 1"

Miz H4 2 iron ctaper 130x

TM TP MB 06' PX 7.0 4-pw

TM Hi-Toe 52* c taper 130x

Miz T22 Raw 56* KBS 130x

Miz T22 Raw 60* KBS 130x

Odyssey Metal X Milled #1  34"

-Prov1x left dash

[quote name='beckk10' timestamp='1290043565' post='2795888']
i desperately need to switch ti nxt tours. i lose to many golf balls to play prov's....but i do. its a sickness
[/quote]

how much longer did you find the NXT to be over the PROv off the driver because i was hitting it 15 yards further and the irons were about 10 yards longer.
that matters big time. the 2nd question is the sidespin- my mistakes were much more playable with the NXT over the prov. combine the 2 of those and its a no brainer.
[/quote]

whats your swingspeed?? i actually dont notice a diffrence in distance. only difference i could tell is on shots from about 130 and in come off a little higher with less spin. if it was 10-15 yards longer without question i would be playing it as i already spin the ball way to much
[/quote]

my swingspeed is 105 with the driver about 85 with a 6 iron. i hit every ball a little higher which is good for me because i usually hit it a little too low. the driver and fairway numbers were between 10-15 yards longer with the NXT Tour. i was very surprised. i played 18 holes with 3 balls, the nxt tour, the prov1x, and the new prov prototype. it was a very interesting 18 holes im just glad i had the course to myself.

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

I might be in the minority, but I prefer the ProV1x. While I am gaming Callaway balls this year, I was a Titleist man ever since the ProV and NXT first came out. I played the ProV1 and ProV1x because I wanted to eliminate the effects of undulation in the greens and be able to get at front and back pins. Especially on par-5's, I didn't want to be blocked out from a tucked pin or out of options if I was short sided. I don't play bomb and gouge, although I hit it plenty far. The strength of my game is wedge play, and I need a ball that provides more options. Doesn't mean that ProV1x is better, just that it was better for [i]me.[/i]

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1290044599' post='2795928']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

my swingspeed is 105 with the driver about 85 with a 6 iron. i hit every ball a little higher which is good for me because i usually hit it a little too low. the driver and fairway numbers were between 10-15 yards longer with the NXT Tour. i was very surprised. i played 18 holes with 3 balls, the nxt tour, the prov1x, and the new prov prototype. it was a very interesting 18 holes im just glad i had the course to myself.
[/quote]

some will say its a myth or not true but i do belive having a swingspeed of 112+ is the best way to get the prov1s to preform the way they are designed to. im definitely not suprised at all that your that much longer with the nxt tour, thats awesome. no reason to spend money on prov's when your longer with the nxt. the greenside control isnt bad with them either. best of luck!:drinks:

TM TP MB 06' PX 7.0 4-pw

Miz T22 Raw 56* KBS 130x

Miz T22 Raw 60* KBS 130x

-Prov1x left dash

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My driver SS is about what yours is, only I have a fast tempo and more of a hitter of the ball. Not sure what my iron SS is except to say my 6i is 165-170 carry on a moderate trajectory and I create a lot of spin at impact. I agree that NXT Tour is longer off the tee then premium balls for amateurs with SS under 115ish; but scoring isn't about driver - its about 2nd or 3rd shots into the green for birdie position, or getting up and down to save par....

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I agree with Jaskanski. The ProV's seem to last longer for me than the NXT's. I get more spin around the greens and on full wedge shots too with the ProVs. I played the NXT tours a few times last year and could stop the ball dead on the green, but not matter how solid I hit it, it didn't back up as much as the ProV's do now. It all depends on how much spin you want to play with. I like to play my shots with alot of spin, so I like the ProV's, but it could be different for you. I will say though that with our swing speeds (105-110 ish) you prlly will get a little more distance out of the NXTs.

FWIW I recently tried both the NXT and NXT Tour. I'm not sure why but they both just seem hard. I have to admit that i also think Pro V's feel hard too. I suspect this is because my SS is 105ish and I don't compress the Pro V's enough. It's odder still because I play the Callaway premium ball, Tour i (s), and it feels soft.

The NXT was difficult to control around the greens, seemed to go 15-20% further on chips and pitches than the Tour. The Tour worked better off irons and wedges and I was able to stick it on greens when I needed to. I was surprised on par 3 iron shots it actually spun back a foot or so.

Distance was good for both but it was a sub 60* day so ball flight was a bit abbreviated all around. What was most interesting was that the Surylon NXT was not appreciably longer than the Tour.

Just a bit of conjecture, but I remember it wasn't long ago that most average amateurs played the "wound" ball, ie a DT90, while probably 2 out of 10 played the "player" ball like a Tour Balata or HT-100.

It seemed like once the player ball became more resiliant to destruction that average joes started switching over.

Myself included...some of the best golf I ever played was with the Titleist DT90, Precept EV Extra Spin, and the Stratas. Is it ego driven? Status driven? I never understood why so many of us fell into the belief that we *need* to play the expensive golf balls.

Honestly, I have never tee'd up a NXT Tour, and probably should.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1290041765' post='2795811']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

THAT IS BY FAR THE BEST THING I READ ON THIS ENTIRE POST. SOUNDS TO ME WITH THOSE RESULTS YOU WOULD SCORE BETTER WITH A NXT?
[/quote]

Shot a handful of rounds under par with the NXT Tour mainly because I hit more greens. I'm not a great short game player, so more chances at birdies for me, typically means better scoring. Also, I know a lot of people are worried that the NXT tour won't bite as hard on the greens as the Pro V's will. This is obviously true. What I like most about the NXT Tour is that it has a hard feel (I like the feedback it gives me), and the ability to hit low shots that will roll and not check (I hate having my ball check before I want it to). In all honesty, what is the percentage of your shot game shots that call for you to throw the ball at the pin and have it spin like crazy? 10%? For me, it is more like 5%. So having the ability to hit all the shots with a ball that I know I can spin, but I can also get to release to the flag is something I can't stress the importance of enough.

If you are finding you spin the ball excessively, then give the NXT Tour a try. Want more spin? Then try something else. Period.

[quote name='simonv05' timestamp='1290100231' post='2796843']
[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1290041765' post='2795811']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Shot a handful of rounds under par with the NXT Tour mainly because I hit more greens. I'm not a great short game player, so more chances at birdies for me, typically means better scoring. Also, I know a lot of people are worried that the NXT tour won't bite as hard on the greens as the Pro V's will. This is obviously true. What I like most about the NXT Tour is that it has a hard feel (I like the feedback it gives me), and the ability to hit low shots that will roll and not check (I hate having my ball check before I want it to). In all honesty, what is the percentage of your shot game shots that call for you to throw the ball at the pin and have it spin like crazy? 10%? For me, it is more like 5%. So having the ability to hit all the shots with a ball that I know I can spin, but I can also get to release to the flag is something I can't stress the importance of enough.

If you are finding you spin the ball excessively, then give the NXT Tour a try. Want more spin? Then try something else. Period.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1290051083' post='2796126']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My driver SS is about what yours is, only I have a fast tempo and more of a hitter of the ball. Not sure what my iron SS is except to say my 6i is 165-170 carry on a moderate trajectory and I create a lot of spin at impact. I agree that NXT Tour is longer off the tee then premium balls for amateurs with SS under 115ish; but scoring isn't about driver - its about 2nd or 3rd shots into the green for birdie position, or getting up and down to save par....
[/quote]

my tempo is close to fowlers...maybe faster...its bad really. but i do agree where scoring actually occurs. however 10-15 yards is to much to give up for just a slight decrease in spin around the greens. we could be talkin hitting an 8 iron instead of a 5iron.

TM TP MB 06' PX 7.0 4-pw

Miz T22 Raw 56* KBS 130x

Miz T22 Raw 60* KBS 130x

-Prov1x left dash

[quote name='beckk10' timestamp='1290113339' post='2797164']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

my tempo is close to fowlers...maybe faster...its bad really. but i do agree where scoring actually occurs. however 10-15 yards is to much to give up for just a slight decrease in spin around the greens. we could be talkin hitting an 8 iron instead of a 5iron.
[/quote]

Agreed. If I am 200 yards out and instead of hitting a 5 Iron (Pro V1x), I can hit a 7 Iron (NXT Tour), I am taking the NXT tour no question.

I heard that the current version of the NXT Tour does not have as much short game spin as the previous version. Does anyone know if that is true? I recently stocked up on the 2007 version (bought 5 dozen) because I have had my best rounds with that ball and feel very comfortable with it. As someone who normally shoots right around 80, give or take a few, I feel that I have no business trying to get cute with short game shots. I spend too much time behind a desk to become a short game wizard. Therefore, the NXT Tour suits me just fine.

I'm a senior, my current SS is 90 mph, and I hit the ProV1x further then I hit any other golf ball I've tried (including the TF Freak, Nike Crush, etc). I also find it the most responsive around the greens over any other ball I've tried. Go figure.

ps: I had a Titleist ball fitting and the fitter recommended the ProV1x, which was no surprise to me.

[quote name='beckk10' timestamp='1290113339' post='2797164']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can't fathom how 10-15 yards could translate to 8i vs as much as 5i; 10-15 yds under "most" conditions is one club, but...

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I played NXT Tours for a few years until Titleist launched the 2009 version. The old NXT Tour never had the feel of the ProV1x but it was plenty long enough. The current NXT Tour is a step backwards so I switched to ProV1x until I found Nike One Blacks. I'm down to my last dozen Blacks so will probably move to the Tour D next.
I don't care what the marketing people say, if you don't have sufficient swingspeed then you really can't get any advantage out of a ProV.