TaylorMade R9 SuperDeep TP

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found this driver to be longer than anything else I have tried. I have 8.5 with the Fubuki Stiff and I like the feel with heavier weights in the head. I found it to be pretty forgiving too.

[b][color=#000080]Driver[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]M3; 10[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]3 Wood[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour TC; 16[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Mizuno Fli-Hi; 21[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour HDI Hybrid; 25[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]5 iron to PW[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby MMB[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Maltby Tour Grind MG; 52[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Wedge 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby CER; 56[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 3[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Callaway PM Wedge; 64[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Putter[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Ping Zing 2[/i][/color][/b]

[quote name='jasonTeI3' timestamp='1294762024' post='2888856']
doesn anyone think having the 14g and 16g weights in the head at the same time makes the swing weight to high?
[/quote]

It depends on the shaft and the length . I like it with a 16 and 10 but have had it 16 and 14 and it gives you more mph on your swing but harder to work the ball.

My setup
8.5* 14g and 12g I believe
Plays at 44.5"
Fubuki Tour Xflex tipped 1".

All of this equals MONSTER BOMBER. With this club I think if you play it at 45.5" forgiveness is a real issue but when you knock it down to a realistic playing length forgiveness and length are there.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• 2 weeks later...

I picked it up late last season, so I only have about 5 or 6 rounds with it. I haven't experimented yet much with weighting, but so far the 12 heal, 8 in the toe with RIP 70X played at 44.75" and 10 heal 6 in the toe with the LDA Throttle at 45.25 have produced some mid launch low spin bombs. I have a 110 to114 ss. I picked up a 73x WB to try this year. Some say it's not very forgiving, but my misses are high and low on the face and not heal or toe, so I'm loving it. When hit on the screws this is by far the longest driver I have ever hit. Primarily playing the neutral setting, but have tried the N-R as well with promising results.

Wishon 919 THI 9* Talamonti PD 70X
Wishon 949 MC 14* Talamonti PD 80X
Taylormade 2011 18 Rescue NVS 90x Hybrid
Wishon 575MMC 3-PW GD X100 SSX1
Titleist SM4 52 amd 56* GD wedge flex
Never Compormise GM2 Exchange #5
WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...

My setup - Superdeep TP, 9.5*, Fujikura Motore F1 75X, 44.5". Swing speed is in the 115-120 range.

I am completely in love with this driver, to the point that the new offerings for this year are of absolutely no interest to me.
I switched from an R9TP, which I had found to be somewhat disappointing distance-wise (it wasn't the short-knocker that some people made it out to be, but it wasn't a great performer for me). I bought my Superdeep from another member here late last season with the stock RIP 73X, and played 6 rounds with it, experimenting with a few different settings. I found that the RIP is just not the right shaft for me. I hit some big drives with it, and played one pretty decent round with it in the bag with the heaviest weights in the head, but some of my misses were simply off the planet -- I hit some of the biggest blocks that I've ever seen with that combo, and after two terrible rounds in a row, I knew I needed to make a change. I had seen the head's potential with some of the really big drives I'd hit with the RIP combo, but I needed to eliminate the huge killer miss. I still had my R9TP with its Fujikura Motore F1 75X in it, so I decided to switch that shaft into the Superdeep and give that a try. The improvement was almost instant. On the range after a round of terrible driving that had me ready to throw the driver into the nearest pond, I started getting the type of ballflight that I was used to -- a mid-height, slight draw or straight ball with good distance. During that range session, I put the 14g weight in the heel and the 10g in the toe, with the Neutral FCT setting, and that's what I've been using ever since. I've played 14 rounds since then, and the numbers speak for themselves:

R9 TP: FW hit (driver only) - 57.1%, Scoring Avg - 78.5 (41 rounds)
SD w/RIP: FW - 42.5%, scoring avg - 81.7 (6 rounds)
SD w/Motore: FW - 62.2%, scoring avg - 77.4 (14 rounds)

The scoring is obviously affected by other factors, but with the RIP, a lot of the difference was from hitting 3 from the tee on too many occasions.

Once I found the right setup for me, I've found that the club is pretty forgiving directionally. When I hit it on the sweet spot, it is quite simply the longest driver I have ever hit. I have found myself in some spots on courses (that I have played before) that I have never seen before -- in a good way most of the time. Misses are punished somewhat distance-wise, but they still get good distance. It's not as unforgiving as some make it out to be, but it is a head that is really suited to people who need to reduce spin -- it will not be a good fit for a low-spin player, but for players like me who need to bring down their spin numbers and make somewhat consistent contact, it's a great club, and one that I highly recommend.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

9.5* Fubuki 63 X-stiff TP setting 8 in the heel 6 in the toe and this thing flat out bombs!!!

I went the opposite route as everyone else and when for less weight in the head. Effectively lowering side spin and adding some forgiveness to a not so forgiving head.

Never head a longer club in the sweet spot, including the long fabled 9015D. This thing smokes my 9015 by miles. High Launch Low Spin Bombs!!!

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

[quote name='ProjectX' timestamp='1311273114' post='3411502']
9.5* Fubuki 63 X-stiff TP setting 8 in the heel 6 in the toe and this thing flat out bombs!!!

I went the opposite route as everyone else and when for less weight in the head. Effectively lowering side spin and adding some forgiveness to a not so forgiving head.

Never head a longer club in the sweet spot, including the long fabled 9015D. This thing smokes my 9015 by miles. High Launch Low Spin Bombs!!!
[/quote]

What is your face angle setting?

• 2 weeks later...

Recently picked up a Superdeep after struggling with several other drivers. I was hesitant after reading all the reviews about it being difficult to hit and get up in the air. My typical miss is a high slice resulting in drastic distance loss and much frustration. I found the Superdeep to be as forgiving as other drivers I have played, of course a bad swing is a bad swing. I have not changed any weights or other settings from the stock setup and am loving the launch of the ball and how it jumps forward when it hits the ground. My swing speed is in the 110 range and while I find carry distance to be average the roll is what is making the difference. Great club overall and would recommend to any to atleast give the club a chance, especially with the great deals available now.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally upgraded from a R7 425TP that I've been using for years. It was 10.5° with the stock Rombax 75S. My swing improved a lot this year (went from a 9 to a 5 handicap) and I was overpowering it, hitting it real high with lots of spin. Bought the Superdeep (9.5° w/ RIP 70x) on the premise that it would lower my launch and spin and was the descendent of the 425TP. The funny thing about the Superdeep is it looks smaller than the 425TP. Definitely shorter heel to toe but longer face to back and of course a deeper face. After reading numerous threads on this site, I set the SD to 2.0° open and put the 16g weight in the heel and 1g in the toe. So theoretically the loft should be 8.5°. Still hitting the ball rather high but with a lot less spin so I'm getting those drives that seem to hang in the air forever. I can really go after it without fearing a snap hook like I did occasionally with the 425TP. Tested both the new Titleist drivers (910D2 10.5° with MFT kai'li 65S and 910D3 9.5° with MFT 'ahina 72S and PX X-73C 6.0) The D2 spun like a top for me and went nowhere, the D3 with 'ahina was straight but the same distance as my 425TP, and I couldn't stand the feel of the Project X shaft. Really wanted to like the D3 but the results were disappointing. Seems the Superdeep fits the bill, maybe I'll try one in 8.5° but I'm happy for now!

TaylorMade M5

Titleist 917F3 15°
Cobra King F6 Baffler
Cobra King Forged CB 4-P

Cobra King Raw 50 • 54 • 58
Scotty Cameron IBDD
Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 years later...

played it a few years ago back when my swing was somewhat decent.
since then, i went through a couple of supertri drivers and the original rbz & rbz tour because my swing got messed up and i was not able to get the ball up in the air.
my good swing is back and i was hitting those drivers way too high.
put the superdeep in play since last week, and i am hitting bombs again! it's not as unforgiving as i thought it was. im really loving the low spin flights.
waiting for a sldr to arrive. if i can get the similar numbers with a bit more forgiveness (what i read), i'll be jumping in joy.