Nike SQ MachSpeed Black Driver Review -- something old in something new

I tried this driver and today and was really surprised. I was hitting it longer than the superfast 2.0 I tried last week but hopefully next weekend I am going to try them side by side on the course. The nike seemed to have forgiveness, workability, and it had the distance. Even when I thought I mishit it, it went far. The flight seemed to be a little high for what I like but then again it went the distance.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MAllen' timestamp='1301281608' post='3094935']The flight seemed to be a little high for what I like but then again it went the distance.[/quote]
Adjust that face a little open and watch it take that ballfight down a bit.

I had my buddy Phil, whose driver swingspeed is around 90 mph, hit some drives with his Burner & my MachSpeed Black into a big fairway bunker that was placed right where he carries his drives the other day. I stepped off 8 & 9 yards longer carry with the Nike. Ridiculous.

Add Phil to the list of those who are offering up cash for my MachSpeed Black ..... and I'm [i][b]still not selling[/b][/i]. :tongue:

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased one of these off another WRX'er and for the money, you cannot beat this thing. In the past month, I've gone through a G15, 9064 LS and a VR Pro and liked the Machspeed Black the best. The stock fubuki 50 gram provides ample feedback and the black on black is sexy. Nike hit a home run.

G410 LST 9* w/ Small Batch HZRDUS Green 70 6.5
G425 Max 14.5* w/ Tensei Pro Blue 80TX
818 19* w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX
TM UDI 18* w/ Tensei Pro White 100TX
0311T w/ Nippon Modus 5-PW 3 120X
SM8 50F, 54S and Wedgeworks 58V w/ Nippon Modus 125X
Tour Issue Spider Tour Black
2019 ProV1

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if you can take the STR8-Fit shaft out of the VR Pro Driver and put in the MachSpeed Black? All it would do is give you more settings to play with in the VR shaft. I asked Nike and was told they don't recommend it because the two drivers are totally different designs. I thought the tip sizes were the same. I thought about ordering the PX 6.5 in the VR style. I have it now with just the eight settings in my MachSpeed. Any help?

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile

[quote name='Captain Morgan ' timestamp='1304458655' post='3205578']
Can anyone tell me if you can take the STR8-Fit shaft out of the VR Pro Driver and put in the MachSpeed Black? All it would do is give you more settings to play with in the VR shaft. I asked Nike and was told they don't recommend it because the two drivers are totally different designs. I thought the tip sizes were the same. I thought about ordering the PX 6.5 in the VR style. I have it now with just the eight settings in my MachSpeed. Any help?

[/quote]

I also have the round machspeed and just ordered a shaft, once i receive it i have to send it to nike so they can install the STR8-fit adapter. I dont think that would work because the adapters and club heads are designed differently. the shaft adapter for the 32 setting VR shouldn't work in a club head made with only 8 positions. i wouldent suggest it but i havent personally tried
sorry if that did not help at all hah
CGV

[quote name='Captain Morgan ' timestamp='1304458655' post='3205578']
[/quote]

I pulled the Voodoo shaft from my VR Tour and put it in my round MS Black. You are left with only 8 options, but I normally just set it to upright square. I've been playing this at least a dozen rounds with no problems.

I just hit the round version today with a 60 gram Fubuki Alpha in an X flex. I was pretty much sold after I hit 3 balls with it. The rep made me hit the VR tour and I threw it at him after one ball and told him to keep it. The Machspeed Black is a great piece, especially for the price. I'm calling my rep tomorrow and ordering one.

It is not the same....but the adapters have been designed to allow your shafts to "follow" the new technology.

For example, the Dymo STR8 adapters will fit the 2010 Machspeed STR8 and 2011 Machspeed Black STR8, but the opposite does not work...you cannot use the 2010 or 2011 adapters on the Dymo STR8 heads.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

[quote name='Reidman' timestamp='1304611118' post='3210129']
It is not the same....but the adapters have been designed to allow your shafts to "follow" the new technology.

For example, the Dymo STR8 adapters will fit the 2010 Machspeed STR8 and 2011 Machspeed Black STR8, but the opposite does not work...you cannot use the 2010 or 2011 adapters on the Dymo STR8 heads.

[/quote]

Check that....I was given bad info from Golfsmith. The Dymo STR8 adapter will not fit the 2011 Machspeed...I tried it today. The 2010 Machspeed adapter does fit.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Reidman' timestamp='1304966880' post='3219354']
[quote name='Reidman' timestamp='1304611118' post='3210129']

[/quote]

Check that....I was given bad info from Golfsmith. The Dymo STR8 adapter will not fit the 2011 Machspeed...I tried it today. The 2010 Machspeed adapter does fit.
[/quote]

Can I get anyone else to confirm this?

• 7 months later...

[quote name='Marks23' timestamp='1306077919' post='3253727']
Does anyone know if the stock shaft and adapter from the VR Pro (project X) will fit in the Machspeed Black round (Fubuki) and vice versa? In other words, is the str8fit tour adapter compatible with the str8fit adapter?
[/quote]

I have the Machspeed Black driver and VR Pro Project X 3 wood, and while I havent switched the shafts, I can tell you that I use the same tool to adjust the clubs. And the adapters look exactly the same, so I would bet that they are compatible.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

So I have the round version of this driver, 9.5°, stiff shaft, standard length (45.5"). Today I took it to my local Golfsmith to shorten the shaft by an inch. The technician noticed that the shaft had a frequency reading of 274. That along with the 45.5" shaft meant the flex was in actuality XX-Stiff. Is he correct or did Nike drop the ball with my driver? I cut it anyways, tested it at the range and a quick 9-hole course and now I'm making a very faint whoosh. :( I'm taking it back tomorrow to put a proper shaft for my swing, but man, that really sucks!!

• 2 weeks later...

just picked up a Machspeed Black over Xmas its the first Nike I've had, I'm really impressed as its been fairly wet you don't expect too much roll or distance this time of year I was getting excellent distance last Fri. Love they way this thing feels and sounds oh and its great looking stealth like. ! Roll on summer

Driver for Show Putter for dough!

• 3 months later...

Just bought this driver a week ago. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I compared it to the R11s and R1. I believe all 3 had the same stiffness (I know company to company varies)rating shafts. However I hit the balls strsighter and further with this club vs the other ones I tried in the simulator.

Going to take it to the indoor driving range tomorrow.