2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Mickelson's coach says Phil is better than Tiger

Asleep

PGA-Mickelson's coach says Phil is better than Tiger

MEDINAH, Illinois, Aug 15 (Reuters) - Phil Mickelson's short-game coach Dave Pelz chipped away at the notion that Tiger Woods was invincible by saying his big, left-handed charge was unbeatable when on form.

"When Phil's at his best, I'm thinking nobody can beat him," Pelz told the Chicago Tribune in an article on Tuesday that stirred comment at Medinah Country Club, site of this week's PGA Championship.

"If Phil's long swing is good, his short game, I believe, is the best in the world. He doesn't have a serious weakness inside 150 yards.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame for Pelz (if not Phil too) that Tourny victories,major wins,money earn't and World ranking points are based on fact not fiction........ :help:

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Tiger's response is classic. Gotta love that he takes the sniping in stride, but then again it's easier to do that when you're the best player in the world.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

I can't believe Pelz said that. :help:

Tiger's short game is without a doubt the best in the world, and his advantage is magnified under major championship pressure. Phil's short game may be flashier, but how many times have we seen him try a lob when a simple chip or bump-and-run would do and screw it up? Tiger's short game gets it done time and time again. He's won many events when not swinging all that well and hitting drivers off the planet. The reason? Tiger is the MAN on and around the greens.

And saying that Phil is a better putter? Please. Phil's missed tons of important short putts. When Tiger needs to make a putt, he almost always does.

When Tiger is on, no-one can touch him. It doesn't matter how good Phil is playing, if Tiger is playing well he'll never beat Tiger.

I'm not a Tiger fan-boy, but you have got to give the man his due. Tiger wins because he has great distance control with his irons, the best shortgame in the world, makes clutch putts, and manages his game extremely well.

And since Pelz loves crunching numbers, here's a nice ratio for him, 11:3. That's the stat that really matters. Tiger is 5 years younger and in better shape, the margin will only get wider.

This post was in no way meant to bash Phil, just to highlight the absurdity of Pelz's comment.

I still cannot believe Pelz said that. Wow. :wave:

Ok numbers dont lie..

Putting Tiger 71th Phil 4th (difference is .050)

Scrambling Tiger 87 Phil 114

Sand Saves Tiger 81 Phil 187

That being said I give the short game edge to Eldrick Woods... if my life was on the line for a 6 footer Eldrick would be putting. One thing you have to remember is Tiger is a grinder, Phil is not, if Phil is out of contention it's plain to see his effort level goes way way down. Potentially Phil's short game is better the Eldrick is he put the effort that Eldrick does into every shot., I think this is what Pelz was talking about and I agree with him.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Ok numbers dont lie..

That being said I give the short game edge to Eldrick Woods... if my life was on the line for a 6 footer Eldrick would be putting. One thing you have to remember is Tiger is a grinder, Phil is not, if Phil is out of contention it's plain to see his effort level goes way way down. Potentially Phil's short game is better the Eldrick is he put the effort that Eldrick does into every shot., I think this is what Pelz was talking about and I agree with him.

In some cases numbers do lie. According to those there are 70 players on tour who are better putters than Tiger. Who honestly believes this to be the case? Can you think of anyone else who has sunk that many clutch putts? Putting for a major win (or any win) is a lot more indicative of putting prowess than a player grinding over a putt to finish 47th instead of 55th. In other words not all putts are equally important.

As for short game, I agree with you about the difference in effort level between Tiger and Phil. I will also admit that Phil has a huge amount of raw talent with regards to short game, mabye even more than Tiger. However, Tiger manages his shortgame much, much better and makes better decisions time and time again. This leads to more up-and-downs at key times and more major championships. So even though Phil might have more raw talent, IMO Tiger uses his much more effectively to produce a better overall shortgame.

I disagree with the notion that Phil has more "imagination" than Tiger. In my opinion it is the other way around. Phil is in love with the high lob and will play it whenever he can, even the "new Phil". Tiger plays the percentages. If a high lob is absolutely needed he will use it (ie shortsided with the green sloping down), but if not he will play a higher percentage shot. Phil's short game is certainly more exiting than Tiger's, but Tiger's is more adaptable to different situations.

There is a little 1 page mini interview (4 questions) in Golf magazine called "The Starter" with 4 PGA tour players. In the July issue (p.32) Daniel Chopra, Stewart Cink, Duffy Waldorf and Billy Mayfair are featured. The final question is "If you could steal part of another player's game what would it be?" Everyone but Mayfair said Tiger's short game.

I know you are a fan of Phil's Johnny and I again want to re-iterate that this is in no way a bash of Phil. I just find Pelz's comments absurd considering the respective records of the two players. What exactly is he trying to do? Fire Phil up? Get publicity/press? It just seems like such a strange comment to make at this time.

Hey if anyone asks you guys who's smarter: your boss or the guy who runs your competitor, go on record as picking the other guy and see how long you keep getting a paycheck from your current employer.

Everyone tells the truth in the media, 100% of the time, especially athletes and coaches...

Then why isn't Rick Smith making these outrageous claims? There is a big difference between saying "I like Phil's chances this week" and going on record saying what Pelz did.

It seems as if Mickelson "validates" the Pelz system and Pelz is desperate for Phil's success. "Please buy my 27 different putting contraptions. Phil uses them, honest."

Hey if anyone asks you guys who's smarter: your boss or the guy who runs your competitor, go on record as picking the other guy and see how long you keep getting a paycheck from your current employer.

Everyone tells the truth in the media, 100% of the time, especially athletes and coaches...

Then why isn't Rick Smith making these outrageous claims? There is a big difference between saying "I like Phil's chances this week" and going on record saying what Pelz did.

It seems as if Mickelson "validates" the Pelz system and Pelz is desperate for Phil's success. "Please buy my 27 different putting contraptions. Phil uses them, honest."

Ok, so we noth agree Pelz is only making the comments to generate revenue for himself, be it through video sales or by maintaining Mick as a client.

There are people on tour that statisically speaking are better than Tiger: Loren Roberts Brad Faxon, Stan Utley, etc...

Fred Funk is more accurate...etc...but that means nothing in terms of wins...

Don't get 50 wins and 11 majors because you are just plain bad, neither do you get 3 majors and 25+ wins because you are not good also...

Do you have pics of the actual club instead of just the pics from the COA?

Pelz is a little kooky, what else is new?

I don't see a 64* in your signature. You're giving up strokes. It's statistically proven. :wave:

I will put a 64* wedge in the bag when my playing partners agree to stand in front of me whenever I use it so I can lob the ball over their head.

It's statistically proven someone'e going to get hurt and it's not me.

:help:

Do you have pics of the actual club instead of just the pics from the COA?

Pelz is a little kooky, what else is new?

I don't see a 64* in your signature. You're giving up strokes. It's statistically proven. :wave:

I will put a 64* wedge in the bag when my playing partners agree to stand in front of me whenever I use it so I can lob the ball over their head.

It's statistically proven someone'e going to get hurt and it's not me.

:help:

I don't think you'll get too many takers.

"I don't know what happened there. I usually don't skull my wedges with full swings. Oh stop crying, you've got another one!"

Ok numbers dont lie..

greens in regulation: tiger 1st - 73.0% phil 9th - 69.5%

total putts per round: tiger 167th - 29.72 phil 52nd - 28.92

seems like the putting could really be a draw. however if there were any putt from 12' in on the 72nd to win or tie for a playoff, i will take tiger over phil.

as for short game. i think phil has more abilities and a larger selection of shots, but knows how to select and execute the shot he needs better. i think phil sometimes gets caught up in style points with his shot and uses the wrong shot for the situation.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Talk is so cheap. Just look at any stat (apart from waist size) and Tiger beats Phil to a pulp.

I'm surprized a comment like this came form Pelz. He seems more well informed as you would assume from the amount of reserach he put into the effect of different types of grass has on spin and roll.

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - Ryoma D1 V-Spec TRPX Fabulous Ni-Ti - Titleist TSR2 Arch-Kams CA-01 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - Callaway Paradym 20* Arch-Kams UTH
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

Talk is so cheap. Just look at any stat (apart from waist size) and Tiger beats Phil to a pulp.

I'm surprized a comment like this came form Pelz. He seems more well informed as you would assume from the amount of reserach he put into the effect of different types of grass has on spin and roll.

I think everyone must remember that Pelz is Phil's short game coach/guru/mentor. It provides a locker room fodder/bullentin board material...Thursday thru Sunday will be part of the test. If Tiger wins and accumulates more trophies, some people will point to Pelz's comment as the firestarter...and if Phil wins and Tiger is not in the top ten, then people will point to Pelz's comment as proof the Tiger/Nike sucks, etc...and if neither wins but one finishes higher, then the debate rages on...

As mentioned on TGC last night, this could put more pressue on Phil to perform "better from 150 yds in". This could also become fuel for Tiger just like the comments from Ames and Cambell in the past. I truly don't think Tiger took that as an insult, just something you would expect from an employee.

Now the comments made by "anonymous" tour players were great. One went something like, "when they're playing their best, there is a clear #1 and #2".

My spin on this is that Pelz might just be trying to snap Phil from his post Winged Foot funk.Confidence is a very fragile thing i.e. just ask seve,ian baker finch,dd etc........maybe Phil needs a good kick in the ego to get him mentally prepared for this event......after all is said and done,both Phil and Tiger still have to play their games and the rest of the field

CALLAWAY GBB EPIC SUBZERO 9* OBAN KIYOSHI PURPLE

07 BURNER TP 17.5* MATRIX CODE 8
ADAMS PRO GOLD 3H TOUR ISSUE NV 85
COBRA KING FORGED 5-GW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 56* RAW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 60* RAW KBS TOUR V
TOULON MILLED COLUMBUS CAMERON BLACK MATADOR MID
TAYLORMADE TP5X
CALLAWAY APEX UT 21* RECOIL 110 DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS

Let's not forget Phil hitting that shot over Pelz's head from 6 feet away on the golf channel academy about 6 to 7 years ago. Pretty amazing stuff. With that being said, all these guys are extremely good, and any given day someone could light it up. Looking over statistics, history, and just plain common sense, Tiger is the best.

My spin on this is that Pelz might just be trying to snap Phil from his post Winged Foot funk.

Exactly what I thought when I heard it. What's the downside for Pelz here? A few more people think he's crazy? On the plus side, he (potentially) pumps up his boss and could sell more of his stuff by reminding the public that Phil started winning majors when he put Pelz on staff.

Doesn't really matter that it's not true if it achieves the intended objective (which we shall see).

Titleist TSR2 10*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 15*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 18*, GD IZ
Titleist T100s, 4-GW, PX
Vokey SM9 54, 58
Scotty Super Rat 1
Pro V1x

Phil: 29 wins, including 3 Majors. Crumbles like a three-day old cookie when faced with pressure situations.

Tiger: 50 wins, including 11 Majors. Never lost a tournament when leading after three rounds.

Phil can certainly beat Tiger on any given day. It's too bad there aren't many of those days.

The really sad part is that Phil is one of the best players to ever play the game. When someone like Pelz says something stupid, it diminishes Phil's accomplishments. As would anyone when compared to Tiger.

Let's not forget Phil hitting that shot over Pelz's head from 6 feet away on the golf channel academy about 6 to 7 years ago. Pretty amazing stuff. With that being said, all these guys are extremely good, and any given day someone could light it up. Looking over statistics, history, and just plain common sense, Tiger is the best.

oh you are right. and remeber the NIKE commercial. the director asked TIGER to hit the ball at the camera. TIGER's reply was where at the camera. director said hit the camera, so TIGER DID!!!! now that an amazing shot and an expensive lens to replace.

What PELZ should have said,"Phil is great and for the first 2 days he will be taking notes and trying to incorporate what hes learning from TIGER. This way he can stand a chance on saturday and sunday.And ill be helping PHIL with DINNER, and trying to find him a new SPORTS BRA, plus ill be crossing my fingers. NO MORE QUESTIONS ive said to much." PELZ

IM kidding all you PHIL fans, hes definately my second choice.i think they both will feed off each other.

Well, Pelz makes a living teaching and selling his short game concepts. He had better say that his guy is the best if he want to sell any more books.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

I don't think it's a big deal.

Hell, Pelz would rather be coaching Tiger Woods. He'd be crazy not to. But that's not the case, so he's loyal to 'his guy'.

Nothing wrong with that. If he said 'There's no way my guy is better than Tiger', then THAT is controversy.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar