2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

forged club bag chatter.....

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dac' timestamp='1305092501' post='3224264']
bag chatter & their respective marks on the clubs don't bother me one bit and i'm not about to use iron covers. how can you stand to play the irons if you're worried about bag chatter marks?
[/quote]

+1

i personally think my callys look way better now that they're well used and have bag chatter and practice wear.
Must add when i first got my irons i was a little paranoid about them getting all dinged up but that slowly subsided when i realized that i paid all that money to use them and have fun not have a seizure over every little mark that appears on them.

Titleist 913 D2 9.5 - RIP 60X
Titleist 909F 13* - V2 75S
Titleist 909H 21* - V2 90S
Nike VR Pro Combo 4-pw - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM5 50* 54* 58* - Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5 - 34"

[quote name='stevegp' timestamp='1304397093' post='3203952']
[quote name='cody0623' timestamp='1304383232' post='3203459']
My new forged mizzy irons are starting to show bag chatter after 8 rounds of golf. Is there anyone who has any advice on a type of bag to reduce this? I know they make iron covers but I'm just not fond of them.
[/quote]
Bennington Quiet Organizer. I had one for about six years and used it for hundreds and hundreds of rounds, both on a riding cart and walking with both push and pull carts. It works great... absolutely no chatter. No clubhead-to-clubhead contact. I have forged MacGregor MacTec M685s that still look great after 4-5 years. By the way, I also used to own a Clubmaxx Brisbane bag. I strongly prefer the Bennington. Highly recommended.
[/quote]

Would really like some input from the Bennington QO12 guys. I was very interested in this bag also until I read how you cannot use a rain cover properly since the clubs stick out over the edge of the bag. Is this true?

I do not see the point in buying a beautiful set of irons then covering them up for the rest of their life. The 14 way helps a lot in limiting bag chatter and makes it easier to snake a towel through the irons. Riding is by far the hardest on your irons, they rest on the butt and spin madly into one another. Also make sure the face of the club is COMPLETELY clean before every shot otherwise you may end up killing your grooves.

[quote name='Buddyjay' timestamp='1305103921' post='3224360']
[quote name='stevegp' timestamp='1304397093' post='3203952']
[quote name='cody0623' timestamp='1304383232' post='3203459']
My new forged mizzy irons are starting to show bag chatter after 8 rounds of golf. Is there anyone who has any advice on a type of bag to reduce this? I know they make iron covers but I'm just not fond of them.
[/quote]
Bennington Quiet Organizer. I had one for about six years and used it for hundreds and hundreds of rounds, both on a riding cart and walking with both push and pull carts. It works great... absolutely no chatter. No clubhead-to-clubhead contact. I have forged MacGregor MacTec M685s that still look great after 4-5 years. By the way, I also used to own a Clubmaxx Brisbane bag. I strongly prefer the Bennington. Highly recommended.
[/quote]

Would really like some input from the Bennington QO12 guys. I was very interested in this bag also until I read how you cannot use a rain cover properly since the clubs stick out over the edge of the bag. Is this true?
[/quote]

Nope, not true.

I use iron covers, just chose wisely and it can look pretty cool. Another BIG reason I use iron covers is that it prevents the iron heads accidently "chatter" on my delicate woods shafts..Which happens easily, especially when you ride in a golf cart.
Why is it so uncool to use covers on the irons, but to use it on a hybrid is ok? Or FW? They are usually made of steel, just like the irons. So why not stop using covers (except on the driver, that is usually a quite delicate titanium club) and get a whole lot of "character" all through the set?

BTW, I dont hit my irons with anything except the face and the sole. Dont like to see all kinds of marks on the topline, that can be distracting looking down on the club.

The reason on fairway and hybrid is because they are taller than the irons and you would get terrible shaft wear. Iron headcovers make me lol. I love how my 695mbs look fter a full season of walking. Just little wear on the back of the club. I have no wear, except practice marks on the face. Oh btw, my vokey 48 has as much wear as my irons, not just forged clubs get this. I know saying it shows character is pretty cheesy but its true. When i see someone with iron covrs i cant help but lol. I dont fret over a little wear on my irons. It happens

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

I think the iron cover issue is pretty simple--if you're not going to keep soft forged irons for more than a year or two, not using covers will cost you a lot of $$ when you go to sell them. The chatter may add character, but less character means more money on resale. I've been on this forum a while, and it seems that many of us switch rons fairly often. If I was looking for a used set of forged irons, I would prefer a set with less character. And I think that would also be true for most of those people who view using covers as sacreligious and laughable. If you're not going to use iron covers, the Bag Boy bags with the notches to keep irons in place is the best for minimizing chatter.

[quote name='Vegaman' timestamp='1305113486' post='3224445']
I use iron covers, just chose wisely and it can look pretty cool. Another BIG reason I use iron covers is that it prevents the iron heads accidently "chatter" on my delicate woods shafts..Which happens easily, especially when you ride in a golf cart.
[b]Why is it so uncool to use covers on the irons, but to use it on a hybrid is ok? Or FW? They are usually made of steel, just like the irons. So why not stop using covers (except on the driver, that is usually a quite delicate titanium club) and get a whole lot of "character" all through the set?
[/b]
BTW, I dont hit my irons with anything except the face and the sole. Dont like to see all kinds of marks on the topline, that can be distracting looking down on the club.
[/quote]

You're really asking why it's not necessary to cover up a hunk of forged steel and why it is necessary to cover up a hollow and thin walled piece of metal (usually titanium, or a titanium/graphite composite) which could get dinged and render it unplayable?

Personally, I'd kill my dog with my bare hands (and I love my dog) before I would use iron covers, but it's a personal decision - you like them, more power to you.

[quote name='jewofgolf' timestamp='1305028387' post='3221425']
[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1304532518' post='3207842']
[quote name='jewofgolf' timestamp='1304384399' post='3203506']
A bag with a 14 way divider is the most effective way to REDUCE bag chatter.
[/quote]

I'm curious about this statement

With a 14 way top, the clubs are separated from one another so they have more space to gather momentum and smack into one another, whereas with (at least some) fewer dividers it's possible for a group of clubs to stay close together and hit as much. The mizuno kabuki operates this way as an example.
[/quote]

That's definitely a good point. With them all being separated, I notice they sort of all move in unison when using my clicgear. They do hit each other, but usually both heads are moving in the same direction. I think when they are right next to each other, there are numerous small hits that add up over time.

I have no scientific evidence though, so my statement could certainly be wrong.
[/quote]

I just got a 14 way bag and the clubs are always banging against each other. I used a pull cart before in a 4 way divider and didn't hear anywhere near the same amount of noise. Apples and oranges, but the 14 way certainly doesn't prevent chatter.

I hate chatter. F N hate it.

What to do ?

I've used covers and have absolutely NO concerns about comments from others but....

They do get lost and are sometimes a pain. Plus I do really like to see my irons gleaming in the sun.

I've had all the ___way bags. None really make a difference but only in that the 14 way allows me to do the 'ol towel snaked thru the clubs routine quite easily which does help reasonably well.

And to the guy that says how do you hit the ground if your so worried about your clubs ?

I know RIGHT !!! I'm open to any ways to fix that too.

OMG. Little OCD ?

Guilty.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

[quote name='YipMaster' timestamp='1305118286' post='3224553']
[b]Why is it so uncool to use covers on the irons, but to use it on a hybrid is ok? Or FW? They are usually made of steel, just like the irons. So why not stop using covers (except on the driver, that is usually a quite delicate titanium club) and get a whole lot of "character" all through the set?
[/b]
[/quote]

You're really asking why it's not necessary to cover up a hunk of forged steel and why it is necessary to cover up a hollow and thin walled piece of metal (usually titanium, or a titanium/graphite composite) which could get dinged and render it unplayable?

Personally, I'd kill my dog with my bare hands (and I love my dog) before I would use iron covers, but it's a personal decision - you like them, more power to you.
[/quote]

Since you highlighted part of my post Im surprised you missed the part about an exception for the driver...That as I wrote is "usually a quite delicate titanium club"..Most FW and Hybrids are steel...So they can take the it, and get "character" without any problem or breaking.

[quote name='Vegaman' timestamp='1305445250' post='3235085']
[/b]
[/quote]

You're really asking why it's not necessary to cover up a hunk of forged steel and why it is necessary to cover up a [color="#ff0000"][b]hollow and thin walled piece of metal[/b] [/color](usually titanium, or a titanium/graphite composite) which could get dinged and render it unplayable?

[/quote]

Since you highlighted part of my post Im surprised you missed the part about an exception for the driver...That as I wrote is "usually a quite delicate titanium club"..Most FW and Hybrids are steel...So they can take the it, and get "character" without any problem or breaking.
[/quote]

I'm not sure how you're not understanding the difference between how an iron and a fairway metal/hybrid are constructed.

You do understand that they're hollow, don't you? And you do understand that being hollow and thin walled that "character" (as you call it) could render them unplayable, whereas an iron would just get a nick in it which would not affect the playability?

[quote name='YipMaster' timestamp='1305469422' post='3235414']
[quote name='Vegaman' timestamp='1305445250' post='3235085']
[/b]
[/quote]

You're really asking why it's not necessary to cover up a hunk of forged steel and why it is necessary to cover up a [color="#ff0000"][b]hollow and thin walled piece of metal[/b] [/color](usually titanium, or a titanium/graphite composite) which could get dinged and render it unplayable?

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm not sure how you're not understanding the difference between how an iron and a fairway metal/hybrid are constructed.

You do understand that they're hollow, don't you? And you do understand that being hollow and thin walled that "character" (as you call it) could render them unplayable, whereas an iron would just get a nick in it which would not affect the playability?
[/quote]

Normal club Chatter would NEVER render a steel head FW or Hybrid unplayable. They are hollow, sure but they are made of steel, and are very sturdy. Youd have to really abuse them if you were to break them. Like the previous post said, you could probably hit ttem with a hammer and still have no issues with function. If a FW can withstand a fast swing digging under a ball at 100+ mph hour and the result isnt more than a skymark then keeping them in a bag without cover would be NO problem at all. Not pretty looking after a while probably, but with a lot och "character" for sure.

[quote name='Jack Pearsall' timestamp='1304385093' post='3203539']
bag chatter? it is a natural and normal part of the forged blade's life cycle..

what? you wanna put mittens on them and have the other clubs on the course laugh at them?

what is wrong with you?
[/quote]

Hey....quiet down...those are my mittens u are talking about. Yup when I rid I throw the castle bay hc on. Same when transporting in car. When I walk I always take them off and leave in trunk. Say what u want cause it really doesn't bother me and my 690.mbs still look like only a year old or so when I've gamed them for 6. Doesn't bother me one bit either when I'm continually striping my irons to within 10ft every hole. I can understand why people don't like them....and honestly they are a inconvenience when playing....but I love how my irons are still in phenomenal shape.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

[quote name='ND Fan' timestamp='1305741523' post='3244549']
They are just tools, weapons in battle if you will. Let em get dinged up. I never played with a decent player that didn't have chatter on there forged irons. If you're concerned about resale value your [b]priorities are screwed up.[/b]
[/quote]

Uh, that would probably include most normal level headed people..Who does NOT ever care about resale value? With iron cover you can have a shiny nice looking iron AND get decent price for them when you sell them. So, are you telling me that if you go shopping for a forged set of irons you dont EVER care if they are covered in nicks and dents? Maybe you could drag the clubs behind a bike to get them nicely "characterized" ?