2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mac O'Grady's Swing ... what can we learn?

To answer the question of what can we learn from him, not much. He had a nice swing, won two PGA tourneys. Failed the rest of his life.

He did a great job of profiting off of it and created a MORAD cult who love to spam this forum and made the Hogan forum unclickable.

How much can we learn from john Daley? At least he won a major.

[quote name='kevn357' timestamp='1310896271' post='3397999']
To answer the question of what can we learn from him, not much. He had a nice swing, won two PGA tourneys. Failed the rest of his life.

He did a great job of profiting off of it and created a MORAD cult who love to spam this forum and made the Hogan forum unclickable.

How much can we learn from john Daley? At least he won a major.
[/quote]

You are way off base. I know Mac and have respect of his knowledge and he has shared information with me for countless hours. I would go out on a limb and say that the majority of teachers worth a darn have a certain respect for his knowledge and passion if they know him. Despite all the bridges that may have been burned with people he still deserves credit where credit is due. We should all know by now the SnT forum would not even exist if it were not for Mac even though he may strongly oppose "it".

As far as you saying he did a great job of profiting off Morad is a joke. No he has not. Quite the contrary....if it was about profit he would have easily made a lot of it with a publish of Morad, which he has not.

Oh...and by the way...do you have any clue how many pros (playing and teaching) he has helped over the years?

yeah, but he doesn't give out free samples so he can market other products to the masses. i want free samples i can do wrong on the range, so i can judge his entire golfing knowledge over 50 balls, and its obvious he only burns bridges because he knows when you take a customers money and then slap them in the face, they are more likely to defend you online, clearly he's a chop and a charlatan, lmao.

Older swings are mostly one plane with the bent over posture at address and arm plane inline with shoulder plane.

Raises spine angle at top of backswing (normally a killer move.)

On downswing loses spine angle further.

Then needs to "save it" by flipping his wrists.

Can work if you're a big cat with impeccable timing.

Not advisable for the rest of us dogs.

If he was such a slouch I wonder why Elkington, Seve, Vijay Singh, and countless others wasted their time with him?

Maybe it's just because he tells such great stories :lol:

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1310992448' post='3400566']
If he was such a slouch I wonder why Elkington, Seve, Vijay Singh, and countless others wasted their time with him?

[/quote]
I read he's currently working w/ Robert Rock, who Sean Foley is an admirer of. I know a lot of people like Rock's swing (and hair)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQAhgiMOwRE&feature=related

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1310992985' post='3400590']

[/quote]
I read he's currently working w/ Robert Rock, who Sean Foley is an admirer of. I know a lot of people like Rock's swing (and hair)

[/quote]

Rock works with Matt Belsham who is a Morad guy, great swing

[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1310868808' post='3397466']
[quote name='russc' timestamp='1310837853' post='3396521']
There is no doubt that Mac was a better player than most very good and great teachers.However this post is about "learning from his swing"so it is reasonable to examine whether his swing meets the standards that categorize the swings of great ball strikers.Maybe it does meet those standards ,even though the stats do not confirm it,but for most people it is impossible to learn from [b]his 1980's swing ,because it is just not available for viewing.[/b]
[/quote]
A few are out there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTI97ayoJmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7BL99n0sUQ
[/quote]

There is that magic elbow again...

[quote name='Tee_Party' timestamp='1310985447' post='3400441']
Older swings are mostly one plane with the bent over posture at address and arm plane inline with shoulder plane.

Raises spine angle at top of backswing (normally a killer move.)

On downswing loses spine angle further.

Then needs to "save it" by flipping his wrists.

Can work if you're a big cat with impeccable timing.

Not advisable for the rest of us dogs.
[/quote]

I don't see a flip in the 1990s swings at all. I am not sure what you are looking at. I actually think that release is pretty perfect, and I am very impressed by these 1990 swings.

[quote name='broth518' timestamp='1310999484' post='3400881']
[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1310992985' post='3400590']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Rock works with Matt Belsham who is a Morad guy, great swing
[/quote]

Looking at Mac's 1990 swing, his current (or lastest swings posted here), and this Rock guy's swing (which I expect is a good representation of the current MORAD swing), it appears to me that Mac went from a pure swinger to hitter. I don't know the terminology well enough to speak about barrels and pressure points, accumulators, etc., but the overall mechanics look different to me. Is my interpretation valid? If so, what are the reasons why Mac made the change to hitter?

It also appears to me that the 1990 mechanics have some of the major components people in the Hogan forum are always striving to achieve or are discussing. So why Mac get away from them? I think the change is interesting. Mac is a smart dude, so there has to be some solid reasoning behind it.

Don't mean to get all philosophical on you guys, but are there any takers?

I know someone that saw a young pro just struggling on the range one friday morning. Over walks mac ogrady who was entered in the same event. He oulks the guy aside taljs with him fir 15 20 minites. Within an hour maybe fourty five minutes has the kid striping it one after another.

Now that sounds like a guy that does have good sports ship. However in the same conversation an older guy we knew was playing with us and said he stayed at there home in an empty room durring the week he askef is your wife around he said she went to the store and will be back in about a half an hour well he handed him five shirts or so asked him if he could have her wash them.

Lmao at that one i guess a differet generation.

• Like 1

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1311002252' post='3401053']
Looking at Mac's 1990 swing, his current (or lastest swings posted here), and this Rock guy's swing (which I expect is a good representation of the current MORAD swing), it appears to me that Mac went from a pure swinger to hitter. I don't know the terminology well enough to speak about barrels and pressure points, accumulators, etc., but the overall mechanics look different to me. Is my interpretation valid? If so, what are the reasons why Mac made the change to hitter?
[/quote]

I agree. Look at his right hand in the finished position...thumb is off to the side like he was trying to hit a home run. I dont know but it looks like a lot more right arm thrust than the vids I have seen from the early days. Can we call it 4 barrel? Maybe thats what he's after...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmZFvkGFM4U

So, what can we learn from the man? Can we start over and analyze his swing? How about the takeaway for starters? And yes, how the heck did he get into that pitch elbow... Don't get me wrong, I'm not pretending to b an expert, just trying to learn.. So, how did the dude takeaway the club? Club, hands, arms, shoulders, then hips? (yeah! IMO) Opening the face, keeping it sqquare, closing it? (hell no! Imo) One-piece? Two-piece? Three-piece?... Lol

Mac O could perform many feats of athletic prowess. He shifted gears beautifully, stayed balanced, crushed it, but strangely wasn't all that good at distance control.
He made it through tour qualifying on the 17th try after "laying myself at Homer Kelley's feet" where he revived his strong grip and learned about plane shifting.
Robert Rock currently does the best MORAD swing IMO. Stack and Tilt is a derivative, as mentioned.
For lots of people going from P-this to P-that can be catastrophic.."Alignment golf smothers Position golf." Others can pose all they want.
Can you imagine Snead and Hogan and Nicklaus trying to "hit positions" though?

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1309840981' post='3365055']
Mac's swing looks more Hogan than Snead to me... Don't understand declaration that Snead is the model mainly and not Hogan..
[/quote]

[size="3"][color="#1C2837"][size="2"]"Hitting all the windows" is more Snead than Hogan.
[/size][/color][/size]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]If you get a chance, pick up a copy of "Let 'er Rip" by Gardner Dickinson. [/size][/color]
[size="3"][color="#1C2837"][size=2]
[/size][/color][/size] [color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Dickinson played a lot of golf with both and he said that Snead could hit shots he never knew existed. [/size][/color]
[size="3"][color="#1C2837"][size=2]
[/size][/color][/size] [color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Hogan certainly learned to control his swing better and won 4 US Opens to Sam's zero for it, but in terms of manufacturing shots, I'm not sure Hogan is necessarily on top.

Point in fact: Snead won all three playoffs they had in competition. [/size][/color]

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1309886835' post='3366055']
[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1309884292' post='3366018']
[quote name='gmbtempe' timestamp='1309844260' post='3365107']
Mac just changed the model and the video that was taken down has one of his students who Mac says is very close to the most current model.

[b]The big changes had to do with eye, and head tilts, and left shoulder movements.[/b]
[/quote]
in what way?
[/quote]

I was about to ask the same thing. A couple of guys jump in talking like they know(and probably do). Sound like most of the Mac posts on wrx. Still mysterious. Can anybody shed some light on all this?
[/quote]
All 3 of those items .. eye, head tilts, left shoulder movements ... are notable. The first 2 because it's distinctive in Mac and his followers (like the previously posted swing of Rock), or this MORAD instructor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8mUTCN9XgE&NR=1

Third because Homer emphasized left shoulder as center of golf swing.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

• 3 months later...

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1311132585' post='3406478']
Tembolo, can we look him up and you request him to publish with collected donations from all of us here as a convincing tool (a.k.a. bribe... :D).. Lol
[/quote]

seriously i've been trying to reach him...but to no avail.

I heard from guys that have been seeing him as early as 2002 that he's just about to publish everything.

WTF is going on?

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

I don't know Mr. O'Grady, never met him. I only took lessons from one of his MORAD instructors and also watched another gave lessons.
The things they do with their golf clubs are crazy. If this isn't a reflection of MORAD as a sound system, I don't know what is. Mr. O'Grady obviously knows a thing or two about the swing and he's an eccentric being. All's good in my book.
Hopefully we'd see his teaching brought to the masses sometimes soon on his own terms.

[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1311208751' post='3408930']
Mac just changed the model and the video that was taken down has one of his students who Mac says is very close to the most current model.

[b]The big changes had to do with eye, and head tilts, and left shoulder movements.[/b]
[/quote]
in what way?
[/quote]

I was about to ask the same thing. A couple of guys jump in talking like they know(and probably do). Sound like most of the Mac posts on wrx. Still mysterious. Can anybody shed some light on all this?
[/quote]
All 3 of those items .. eye, head tilts, left shoulder movements ... are notable. The first 2 because it's distinctive in Mac and his followers (like the previously posted swing of Rock), or this MORAD instructor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8mUTCN9XgE&NR=1

[/quote]

He hits all windows but one part left out...the windows are in golf course homes. LOL

• Haha 1

[quote name='fats' timestamp='1319658263' post='3721979']
[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1311208751' post='3408930']

[/quote]
in what way?
[/quote]

[/quote]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8mUTCN9XgE&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.c...8mUTCN9XgE&NR=1[/url]

[/quote]

He hits all windows but one part left out...the windows are in golf course homes. LOL
[/quote]

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

I think Fats is referring to the saying about a golfer with terrific command of his shots “He can hit all the windows” . That is, if you look down your target line and have have a giant wall of window panes , someone with good command of his shots is able (on command) to hit the high left window pane, high right pane , low left, low right…..etc.

Second part of Fats comment is tongue in cheek reference to lack of command

One thing he needs more command of is the computer. Dude has been saying he'll publish something for over a decade.

DO IT!

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*