2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mac O'Grady's Swing ... what can we learn?

[quote name='bamajeffa' timestamp='1402343237' post='9461301']
Virtuoso, are you actively trying to dorsiflex your right wrist through impact? I ask because of your youtube channel name, and I am currently taking lessons from Lake(Jon Dochety) who learned under Mac. He made some interesting suggestions during our last lesson which definitely go against 'conventional wisdom'.
[/quote]

yeah, I'm trying to go from flat at P6 to more cupped at P7.

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

[quote name='virtuoso' timestamp='1402344672' post='9461507']
[quote name='bamajeffa' timestamp='1402343237' post='9461301']
Virtuoso, are you actively trying to dorsiflex your right wrist through impact? I ask because of your youtube channel name, and I am currently taking lessons from Lake(Jon Dochety) who learned under Mac. He made some interesting suggestions during our last lesson which definitely go against 'conventional wisdom'.
[/quote]

yeah, I'm trying to go from flat at P6 to more cupped at P7.
[/quote]

He's wanting me to do the same thing. Diagnosed me as a handle dragger.

[quote name='virtuoso' timestamp='1402246666' post='9453753']
More Mac O'Grady work this morning:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDwZ4mMNVyc&index=2&list=UU8KnRUrVF2cOn_VC6U4ZMNQ[/media]
[/quote]

Nice swing! I'm curious, are you working with Mac O'Grady himself? I started lessons with a TGM guy who has some background in MORAD. I'll have to ask him more about it in our next lesson.

[quote name='scopek' timestamp='1402405344' post='9465709'] [quote name='virtuoso' timestamp='1402246666' post='9453753'] More Mac O'Grady work this morning: [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDwZ4mMNVyc&index=2&list=UU8KnRUrVF2cOn_VC6U4ZMNQ[/media] [/quote] Nice swing! I'm curious, are you working with Mac O'Grady himself? I started lessons with a TGM guy who has some background in MORAD. I'll have to ask him more about it in our next lesson. [/quote]

hey Scopek,

No I don't work with Mac. I met him once around 95. I was playing Morgan Run and rolled up on him teaching VJ Singh. He let me sit there for a couple hours and watch and ask questions.

I did work with a guy around that time that had spent a lot of time with Mac and he taught me Morad as Mac was teaching it then. Obviously a lot has changed and been added.

I'm currently working on what he was teaching then because I like how he swung in that era, but I have a much better understanding of the bio-mechanics now and how to actually achieve it. For instance, feeling like you staighten your right arm from the very top can only happen if about 20 other things are in place and working. I didn't know that at the time so it was catastrophic. The missing pieces are are all getting filled in now.

[quote name='virtuoso' timestamp='1402413598' post='9466659']
[quote name='scopek' timestamp='1402405344' post='9465709'] [quote name='virtuoso' timestamp='1402246666' post='9453753'] More Mac O'Grady work this morning: [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDwZ4mMNVyc&index=2&list=UU8KnRUrVF2cOn_VC6U4ZMNQ[/media] [/quote] Nice swing! I'm curious, are you working with Mac O'Grady himself? I started lessons with a TGM guy who has some background in MORAD. I'll have to ask him more about it in our next lesson. [/quote]

hey Scopek,

No I don't work with Mac. I met him once around 95. I was playing Morgan Run and rolled up on him teaching VJ Singh. He let me sit there for a couple hours and watch and ask questions.

I did work with a guy around that time that had spent a lot of time with Mac and he taught me Morad as Mac was teaching it then. Obviously a lot has changed and been added.

[b]I'm currently working on what he was teaching then because I like how he swung in that era, but I have a much better understanding of the bio-mechanics now and how to actually achieve it. For instance, feeling like you staighten your right arm from the very top can only happen if about 20 other things are in place and working. I didn't know that at the time so it was catastrophic. The missing pieces are are all getting filled in now.[/b]
[/quote]
Chalk and cheese Virtuoso...don't know "how" this tread turned into your personal quest...but i can tell you that you aint even close....That may sound too forthright...but hey, if you're out there documenting some Mac swing "quest" you need to hear it straight...and I'll begin with you NEVER lower your clavicles consciously...pivot train takes care of that...and as far as straightening right arm from the top//!! Never....not a feel nor a desired sequence. Only one person (Lake) has the bio-mech sequence or DNA of DAMRON mapped out, imo....he dug it out of the dirt, and I was lucky enough to kick it around some...and final thought: to get it right, It was alot of study, and like Hogan-mystique alot of purposeful misdirection or don't-do-what-I-say....

[quote name='Siteseer2' timestamp='1402416533' post='9466941']

hey Scopek,

[b]I'm currently working on what he was teaching then because I like how he swung in that era, but I have a much better understanding of the bio-mechanics now and how to actually achieve it. For instance, feeling like you staighten your right arm from the very top can only happen if about 20 other things are in place and working. I didn't know that at the time so it was catastrophic. The missing pieces are are all getting filled in now.[/b]
[/quote]
Chalk and cheese Virtuoso...don't know "how" this tread turned into your personal quest...but i can tell you that you aint even close....That may sound too forthright...but hey, if you're out there documenting some Mac swing "quest" you need to hear it straight...and I'll begin with you NEVER lower your clavicles consciously...pivot train takes care of that...and as far as straightening right arm from the top//!! Never....not a feel nor a desired sequence. Only one person (Lake) has the bio-mech sequence or DNA of DAMRON mapped out, imo....he dug it out of the dirt, and I was lucky enough to kick it around some...and final thought: to get it right, It was alot of study, and like Hogan-mystique alot of purposeful misdirection or don't-do-what-I-say....
[/quote]

Hey siteseer, thanks for your insight. I was just relaying what I was told by the guy who taught me. He said Mac felt that if he stayed centered, he could begin to feel like he starightened his right arm from the top, almost as if it was going backwards behind him. I understand that it may have been translated to me incorrectly. Is this the wrong place to discuss my attempt at Mac's swing? If inappropriate, I'll start a new thread?

[quote name='virtuoso' timestamp='1402420247' post='9467433']

hey Scopek,

[/quote]
[/quote]

Hey siteseer, thanks for your insight. I was just relaying what I was told by the guy who taught me. He said Mac felt that if he stayed centered, he could begin to feel like he starightened his right arm from the top, almost as if it was going backwards behind him. I understand that it may have been translated to me incorrectly. Is this the wrong place to discuss my attempt at Mac's swing? If inappropriate, I'll start a new thread?
[/quote]Nah...its all good...you can be Exhibit A....and we can thrash about in trial and error til you get it right....be something to chat about anyway....cheers

[quote name='virtuoso' timestamp='1402420247' post='9467433']

hey Scopek,

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No this is the perfect place for your discussion, ignore that. Nice swing by the way.

I think your swing looks great Virtuoso, personally I see no point in trying to perfectly mimic someone else, your not a clone of that person in every physical way so how could your swing look exactly like theirs? Kinda like playing guitar, you can get really close to what somebody else did but there is always somebody that can pick out some nuance you aren't doing. Swing your swing.............

[quote name='Siteseer2' timestamp='1402424689' post='9467867']
Nah...its all good...you can be Exhibit A....and we can thrash about in trial and error til you get it right....be something to chat about anyway....cheers
[/quote]

Thanks Siteseer2, I tried your tip about not lowering the clavicles and I held off the right arm straightening. Normal swing on the first pass and then second swing I let the pivot train take care of things. I used the other side because there is no bad hard wiring there. But, there must be a bunch of stuff you're leaving out because i caught it at least a groove low and almost fell over.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmte516AQCk&feature=youtu.be[/media]

Ok, now you are just showing off. LOL

Nice looking lefty swing too. You must be amphibious like Charles Shackleford.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='virtuoso' timestamp='1402432602' post='9468747']
Nah...its all good...you can be Exhibit A....and we can thrash about in trial and error til you get it right....be something to chat about anyway....cheers
[/quote]

Thanks Siteseer2, I tried your tip about not lowering the clavicles and I held off the right arm straightening. Normal swing on the first pass and then second swing I let the pivot train take care of things. I used the other side because there is no bad hard wiring there. But, there must be a bunch of stuff you're leaving out because i caught it at least a groove low and almost fell over.

[/quote]
there is lateral bend, and axis tilt but it comes from lumbar lordosis, not lowering clavicles...I'd throw another tidbit by saying (I) there is more extension from p6.5 to p9 than most folks think--a pouncing cat feeling with the left leg, hip, and left obliques, to coin a phrase, yet maintain lateral bend/axis tilt with right side (so you can stay in your inclination) ... and(ii) the pivot rotation comes from going from dual external rotation with the hips at p 4.5, into adduction by p 8 so that you feel like scissors legs or the hamstrings are squeezed tight together
...you (wrongly) extend early with the right side, which changes your inclination a tad, stalls your rotation, and gets you a little slingy with the right arm...Hope Doc doesn't feel like I'm giving anything away...maybe he'll weigh in. He always likes to improve a good (or, any) golf swing... :)

[quote name='Siteseer2' timestamp='1402435862' post='9469101']
[/quote]

[/quote]
there is lateral bend, and axis tilt but it comes from lumbar lordosis, not lowering clavicles...I'd throw another tidbit by saying (I) there is more extension from p6.5 to p9 than most folks think--a pouncing cat feeling with the left leg, hip, and left obliques, to coin a phrase, yet maintain lateral bend/axis tilt with right side (so you can stay in your inclination) ... and(ii) the pivot rotation comes from going from dual external rotation with the hips at p 4.5, into abduction by p 8 so that you feel like scissors legs or the hamstrings are squeezed tight together
...you (wrongly) extend early with the right side, which changes your inclination a tad, stalls your rotation, and gets you a little slingy with the right arm...Hope Doc doesn't feel like I'm giving anything away...maybe he'll weigh in. He always likes to improve a good (or, any) golf swing... :)
[/quote]

yeah, I would have said I get real top heavy and dive with the left shoulder in transition, partly because my hips start opening before i finish my backswing (my right leg should stay back a little longer and I should get more squat and my pelvis should start tilting back to level). Then my right shoulder is way too high coming down (no right side bending) and I do look like a hunchback (no lordosis). And then my hips and shoulders are too open and then come too a screeching halt, and the arms sling shot past and roll...then they fold into the left shoulder too soon and I fake the finish. Is that kind of the same thing? I guess it would describe why Mac looks so much more dynamic with the pivot from P6 to P9.

...and if you noticed, I have found a way to loop the arms behind me in transition so I can save good impact angles, even though my shoulders are shoved out of position.

[/quote]

[/quote]
there is lateral bend, and axis tilt but it comes from lumbar lordosis, not lowering clavicles...I'd throw another tidbit by saying (I) there is more extension from p6.5 to p9 than most folks think--a pouncing cat feeling with the left leg, hip, and left obliques, to coin a phrase, yet maintain lateral bend/axis tilt with right side (so you can stay in your inclination) ... and(ii) the pivot rotation comes from going from dual external rotation with the hips at p 4.5, into adduction by p 8 so that you feel like scissors legs or the hamstrings are squeezed tight together
...you (wrongly) extend early with the right side, which changes your inclination a tad, stalls your rotation, and gets you a little slingy with the right arm...[b]Hope Doc doesn't feel like I'm giving anything away...maybe he'll weigh in[/b]. He always likes to improve a good (or, any) golf swing... :)
[/quote]

Would love to hear his input as well. My son and I are currently taking lessons from him about once a month. Great guy, and great teacher.

Love seeing someone devote so much time to learning one of Mac's patterns...reminds me of myself :) While this thread is dedicated to Mac's golf swing I think we can all learn something about Mac through someone willing to throw their journey on YouTube. I briefly read this page only...but what I can gather is that virtuoso (the name that Mac gives to the highest level possible :)) is focusing on the late 80's Mac.

Like most Mac folks the problem begins at the right arm...and how it is used. In the late 80's Mac used what is now commonly referred to as CF in MORAD circles. But, Mac was never a right armed dominate player(hitter)...he has always got his power from his pivot...even today. Much like Hogan & Snead. Swinging to the right or a rightward swing direction w/ an upward or level hit does not make someone a right arm dominate player...it just makes them via 2D camera look inside out at p6...Mac used his pivot to accentuate the release from his wrist...not stall his pivot and provide power from a firing right arm.

Virtuoso fires his right arm for his power...looks good on camera...but it doesn't hit the ball far enough to play at the highest level (see Brian Gay). You can see it in his practice swings...takes a full turn...and then dumps right arm which stops his swing just shortly after impact. In his real swing...the follow through is easy to pose because everything is slowing down just shortly after impact...when he runs out of right arm...when he added more pivot & less trail arm he almost fell over.

Today's pros can't just use their right arm...can't hit it far enough...they have to use their pivot efficiently...for example...I have jr.'s that don't weigh 100 lbs that can hit it over 250 yards...how...their pivot & their wrist

[quote name='bamajeffa' timestamp='1402448967' post='9470317']
[/quote]

[/quote]
...you (wrongly) extend early with the right side, which changes your inclination a tad, stalls your rotation, and gets you a little slingy with the right arm...[b]Hope Doc doesn't feel like I'm giving anything away...maybe he'll weigh in[/b]. He always likes to improve a good (or, any) golf swing... :)
[/quote]

Would love to hear his input as well. My son and I are currently taking lessons from him about once a month. Great guy, and great teacher.
[/quote]

Hey Jeff...get wristy...flip it...u got pivot for DAYS :)

[/quote]

Wait...a feel of lordosis when? If you are at dual external rotation in both hips at 4.5 then wouldnt you need to lordose nearly the whole downswing to prevent translating?

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1402526354' post='9476251']
[/quote]

Wait...a feel of lordosis when? If you are at dual external rotation in both hips at 4.5 then wouldnt you need to lordose nearly the whole downswing to prevent translating?
[/quote]

hey PingG10guy, can you explain further?

[quote name='virtuoso' timestamp='1402580847' post='9479651']
hey PingG10guy, can you explain further?
[/quote]

Sure. More of me asking a question than explaining anything. But I always thought Mac's swing looked fascinating the way he starts transition (hips are extending...and I guess both ER too according to siteseer). It also always looked to me like he arched his back to start the shift...maybe even felt like his upper torso got taller? but Ive also read in some places that he changed his motion several times do to a back injury. "Lordosis" according to the google is the arching of the back. Ive also read that Mac couldnt do the things he does in his swing without feeling like he was backing away (old slicefixer post from 2007 I believe).

So I guess Im just curious when you feel all this extension. If you go to far into flexion with anything then the elbow drops from DTL as opposed to moving parallel with the shoulder alignment that you had at P4.