Current Phoenix vicinity course conditions

fore_life

Post up where you played, how much $, and the conditions.
Let's get a thread going for summer conditions/values so we can hopefully eliminate some of the guessing as far as where to play, and where to avoid.

Played Maryvale yesterday for $1.99 (golfnow freebie), course was in pretty good shape, a little wet in areas, but the greens were rolling well. Not blazing fast, but pretty true.

Played Vistal today for a whopping $10 @ 9AM off of golfnow. Always a crap shoot as far as conditions go at Vistal, but I was pretty pleased. Looks like they are removing some fairway bunkers, as some are marked as ground under repair, but overall the turf conditions were pretty damn good. Nice fluffy sponge-like rough, fairways mowed short and fast, and the greens were as to be expected coming off a 6/28 punching. Not fast, but not painfully slow either.

With regards to my reviews, I try to play A LOT of golf, so I like to hunt out values, just as long as they are in fair playing conditions. I'd rather pay $15 and be mildly pleased rather than $40 and slightly disappointed.

Post up where you've been paying and what kind of conditions you found!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played at ASU Karsten on Saturday- greens were in particularly bad shape.

Played at We-Ko-Pa Saguaro on sunday, I believe it is now closed so course conditions when I played are irrelevant. For what it is worth, it was in a lot better shape than Cholla was when I played that 3 weeks ago.

Played Aguila last Tuesday and for a municipal course in the summer, it was in very good shape for my liking. It was also quite on a tuesday afternoon as you can expect and I managed to play 36 holes in 4 hours as a single! haha. The greens are medium/slow, and soft enough to hold a good approach shot- just what I am used to back home in England!

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1311131798' post='3406438']
I've been meaning to go play aguila, I've yet to be out there since the renovations. Maybe next week I'll do 36 as well
[/quote]

Let me know- I'd be interested in joining if i'm around! :) I adopted it as my home course for the year. I enjoy playing it alot- there is a fair mix of holes and it is a fun layout at which you can post a score!

Las Sendas: OK for the most part...patchy through the fairways....greens not rolled...seems they just cut periodically.

Ocotillo: Great shape..usual conditions

Superstition Mountain(Lost Gold): Course almost recovered from the punching....very playable and above average

Foothills: Don't bother....almost a wasteland nowadays...not sure what is going on

Trilogy at Power Ranch: Excellent! Fairways and greens in great shape

Whirlwind: Good condition as usual

Red Mountain Ranch: So So shape....fairways are decent, greens not up to par as in previous years

Kierland: Ironwood/Acacia - Ok shape, fairways punched and heavily watered...greens long and slow.

Eagle Mountain: Not very good shape...fairways quite inconsistent and patchy, greens slow and patchy

Legend Trail: Decent shape, dry and patchy fairways, greens are decent.

Troon North: Superior shape, best in the valley right now IMO

Raven at Sth Mountain: Greens are quite good, fairways left much to be desired

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1311135542' post='3406584']
Las Sendas: OK for the most part...patchy through the fairways....greens not rolled...seems they just cut periodically.

Ocotillo: Great shape..usual conditions

Superstition Mountain(Lost Gold): Course almost recovered from the punching....very playable and above average

Foothills: Don't bother....almost a wasteland nowadays...not sure what is going on

Trilogy at Power Ranch: Excellent! Fairways and greens in great shape

Whirlwind: Good condition as usual

Red Mountain Ranch: So So shape....fairways are decent, greens not up to par as in previous years

Kierland: Ironwood/Acacia - Ok shape, fairways punched and heavily watered...greens long and slow.

Eagle Mountain: Not very good shape...fairways quite inconsistent and patchy, greens slow and patchy

Legend Trail: Decent shape, dry and patchy fairways, greens are decent.

Troon North: Superior shape, best in the valley right now IMO

Raven at Sth Mountain: Greens are quite good, fairways left much to be desired
[/quote]

I played Raven South Mountain the weekend before last and the greens were pretty bumpy... fairways seemed ok apart from the odd patch which they were trying to get a lot of water on.

[quote name='phil.b89' timestamp='1311124203' post='3406007']
Played at ASU Karsten on Saturday- greens were in particularly bad shape.
[/quote]

That's too bad. I played there about 6-7 weeks ago and the greens were excellent.

I played AZ Biltmore Links for $20 last week and the course was in pretty good summertime shape. Greens were a little sandy, but not too bad. Fairways were nice.

Played Silverado on Sunday for $25. Greens were in terrible shape with lots of dead turf. Same thing in fairways and rough: lots of deadpan.

Playing Foothills this Saturday for $16 (includes two drinks/cocktails) and am not expecting much, but will report back. Doing the TPC 36-hole deal the first weekend of August and can report on that, too.

Played The Legacy Tuesday for $19 from golfnow. I have seen it in better shape but it was still pretty nice (especially for the price). The greens were recently plugged too but I'd imagine they're almost healed by now.

Played Superstition Mountain (Prospector) Wednesday for $45. I had never been there before and had pretty high expectations...I was a little disappointed. I thought the course layout was just average and the conditions were not good. I only get to Arizona every couple years and I don't see myself ever going back with so many other options.

This isn't really in the Phoenix area, but I played the Ritz-Carlton course at dove mountain yesterday. I really enjoyed the layout and the scenery... I would put this course up there with the best I've played in Arizona. The Wild Burro nine was in better shape than the tortiilita, but I liked the tortilla layout better. This was definitely worth the drive and the $45 green fee.

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1311463135' post='3417459']
Whirlwind Cattail was immaculate....perfect/quick greens, brilliant fairways....definite play.
[/quote]

Nice to hear!

We have about 12 guys going there Aug 7 to play both courses. TPC Stadium is now being closed an extra month due to turf issues, so we had to move our 36-hole event. The Whirlwind Marathon package includes breakfast, lunch, two cocktails and guaranteed times at both courses. Those courses have always been near the top of my to-play list, so I'm looking forward to it.

I imagine Devil's Claw is being punched right now since there are no tee times available for it, so hopefully it's ok by Aug 7.

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1311438322' post='3416739']
last I heard about foothills was that it was completely dead
[/quote]

Just played there this morning. Tee to green, the course is in real bad shape. But oddly enough, they had some of the best rolling greens I've played this year. For $16 w/ two cocktails, it was worth messing around for a few hours.

Good to hear about Dove Mountain we are headed down there at the end of July

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Grayhawk Talon- Played Today

Generally pleased with the condition of the course. Yeah, there were a few bare spots in some of the fairways, but others were pretty lush and looked like you were the only person that has ever hit an iron shot off them! Bunkers were good. Greens were a little bit slow and shaggy, but I'm sure they'll be rolling pretty good in a week or so.

puttnforthe8- do you know if its just the north course that is open at the minute with the other being aerified? I may try and get out there again before I leave next week!

[quote name='phil.b89' timestamp='1311725862' post='3426654']

Generally pleased with the condition of the course. Yeah, there were a few bare spots in some of the fairways, but others were pretty lush and looked like you were the only person that has ever hit an iron shot off them! Bunkers were good. Greens were a little bit slow and shaggy, but I'm sure they'll be rolling pretty good in a week or so.

puttnforthe8- do you know if its just the north course that is open at the minute with the other being aerified? I may try and get out there again before I leave next week!
[/quote]

North is the only one open at this time....I prefer it for pure golf. South has better views and wider fairways....North is better IMO...worth it!

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1311736263' post='3427369']
[quote name='phil.b89' timestamp='1311725862' post='3426654']

[/quote]

North is the only one open at this time....I prefer it for pure golf. South has better views and wider fairways....North is better IMO...worth it!

[/quote]

Thanks...

Played Raven at Verrado today... boy is it a long drive out there from N.Central Phoenix!

In regards to the course- thoroughly enjoyed it! Fairways were good for the most part apart from 3 holes which were cart path only. Greens rolled fairly well, not bumpy at all, a little slow if anything but good.

Played Vistal again today for $9 at 10, I really dont think youre gonna find much better value right now. Fast in the running to become my summer home track.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Played Ken McDonald last Wed. I hadn't played it since the 70s, and having re-taken up golf last year after about a 25 year hiatus, I thought I'd give it a whirl. Tee boxes were fine. Fairways had a lot of bare areas, but I was pretty fortunate in avoiding them and didn't have that many bad lies. Sand was like concrete. Greens were in nice shape, surprisingly few pitch marks, but were very slow. Lots of walkers. Nothing against walking, but I was glad that I teed off before the Wed league, which seemed to have a lot of walkers. I got around in 3 hours. Paid $21 as walk-up cart-riding single. Overall, I think there are better values out there.

Played Johnson Ranch Sunday morning. Front nine had a lot of bare areas in the fairways and around the greens. Greens were fine. Back nine was fine. Most of the time I think JR is one of the best values in the Valley, but it's going to take some time for those bare areas to recover, and about then it'll be time to overseed.

Played Ocotillo yesterday at about 3pm. $32 on their web site was a couple bucks cheaper than GolfNow. Played White-Blue. White is still recovering from punching the greens. Lots and lots of little sand hills. Cart path only on a couple of fairways. Blue greens were fine, although there were quite a few unrepaired pitch marks on some of them. Cart path only on #5. One of the 3 bunkers I was in was hardpacked (left side of Blue 9 fairway), and a playing partner noted a couple others like that. Overall, other than the greens on White and some of the sand, conditions were great. Got around in about 3 hours.

I live about 2 miles away from Kenny Mac and I played it earlier summer and it was in terrible shape, so I'm glad to hear its come back a little bit. It's hard to pass it up as it's only $8 to walk it after 12PM.

Anyone been out to Dobson Ranch lately?

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1311874926' post='3431695']
I live about 2 miles away from Kenny Mac and I played it earlier summer and it was in terrible shape, so I'm glad to hear its come back a little bit. It's hard to pass it up as it's only $8 to walk it after 12PM.

Anyone been out to Dobson Ranch lately?
[/quote]

I hit DR June 30th. My first time there. Paid $21 as walk-up cart-riding single around 4pm. It had much fewer bare fairway areas than KM, and the greens had more pocks from old pitch marks, but were still pretty good and rolled faster than KM's. What I disliked at DR was the prodigious amount of pine needles on a lot of the greens, and the goose crap all around and on the #8 green. The geese also littered areas of #10 and #18, which I expect is well known to regulars there. I got around in about 3 hours there also. Quite a few walkers there also. Overall, I think DR was a better value than KM.

Played Lone Tree, Saturday Afternoon for $21
Course conditions were generally good. There are some areas of repair, but no really large patches in the main playable areas.
Greens were also in good shape, played at moderate speed and held good shots pretty well.
This place is in great shape for this time of year, I have been impressed every time I have been out.

Played Bear Creek Bear on Sunday at 10:30am. Course conditions were good, really no patchy areas, good grass all around.
Greens seemed to be inconsistent from hole to hole, some fast some slow, or maybe (probably) I'm just terrible. That said they were in excellent shape.
Course wasn't really that busy, we got paired up with a few others so play was slow, but I never had anyone riding my tail feathers.
I purchased some of the half priced summer rounds, so it was about $25 total for me and my partner. You can book for a little more than that now online.

I have also been playing San Marcos the past few weeks, with my last round Wednesday the 20th.
No surprise this place is in horrible shape, the ranger informed us that their pumps were all clogged in the ponds, and they hadnt been able to water for over 3 days... and it showed.
I hit a pretty weak drive that only flew about 180 yards, but it managed to roll on the rock hard fairway for another 100 yards.
The greens were all patchy, bumpy and rock hard. I haven't been back yet, and I probably wont.
Total dump, but it is hard to resist the Happy Hour Special (Round + two beers for $18)

No fancy pants courses sadly. Just cheap-o's for a cheap-o.

Moxie, you've got to start using some sort of discount golf website man, lol you are paying way too much for those tracks!!!

I played lone tree on 4th of july and thought it was in pretty bad shape, but it was only $12.

Played a quick 9 at ahwatukee(back 9), greens are coming in, hopefully they will get back up to the shape they were 2 years ago. Slowish greens, but they've let the rough grow up on some of the holes which is nice. Its been awhile since I've played out of deep cover-your-shoes type rough in AZ, let alone in the summer.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1311917286' post='3433198']
Moxie, you've got to start using some sort of discount golf website man, lol you are paying way too much for those tracks!!!
[/quote]

Where should I be lookin?
I check GolfNow, but in some cases the walk-in prices are the same with no fee's
Still new at this though, so share your sources if you have any special ones.

I played Rolling Hills this morning. I am actually amazed that a City of Tempe course can be in that good of condition. Though I did pay more than I wanted to at $22.
Still it was some of the better conditions I have seen lately, consistent grass everywhere. Plus the weather was perfect at 6:30am.

I will be playing this afternoon, still looking for a good course/good deal

SIgn up for the emails from golfnow, they send out a "hot deals" email with even deeper discounts, and also check out ezlinks.com

Tomorrow, bear creek @ 934 is $18

Vista verde @ 10 is $17,

cave creek, encanto, and maryvale are $14

The duke is $11 @ 11:56 (AMAZING DEAL!!!!!))

Those are the ones I just pulled up from my email @ 4:52 sat afternoon, so the prime early times are probably already gone.

You can find even deeper discounts if you don't mind playing around 12 or later.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1312070025' post='3437266']
You can find even deeper discounts if you don't mind playing around 12 or later.
[/quote]

I prefer playing around 2-3 in the afternoon, signing up now. Thanks man!

I played Talking Stick North to finish out my Saturday. It was the first really high grade course I have played and I was very impressed with the conditions.
Great grass everywhere, and the greens rolled well with excellent consistency across all holes. Something I am not used to at the munis I have been playing.
That course was fun, lots of challenge balanced by some more forgiving holes that put the responsibility for mistakes directly in your hands. Look forward to playing it again.

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1312070025' post='3437266']
SIgn up for the emails from golfnow, they send out a "hot deals" email with even deeper discounts, and also check out ezlinks.com

Tomorrow, bear creek @ 934 is $18

Vista verde @ 10 is $17,

cave creek, encanto, and maryvale are $14

The duke is $11 @ 11:56 (AMAZING DEAL!!!!!))

Those are the ones I just pulled up from my email @ 4:52 sat afternoon, so the prime early times are probably already gone.

[/quote]

Yeah, ezlinks has crazy low prices. Golfhub.com is usually better than golfnow.

And just signing up for the email list for courses will bring in a lot of great deals.

Played Arizona Golf Resort Sunday. Greens and tee boxes were in good shape. Fair amount of bare areas in the fairways along with plenty of very thick bermuda rough made for a bunch of difficult lies, although I'll chalk some of that up to the breaks of the game, as by and large the fairways were fine. They give you a small bucket with your green fee, which is nice. For a flat track, AGR isn't too bad. Very quiet. Lots of shade. Some dog legs that make you plan. 4 of the 6 par 3s are over 200 yds from the blues.