2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Current Phoenix vicinity course conditions

fore_life

Played Golf Club of Estrella yesterday. Course and greens were in great shape. Fairways were excellent and the greens were soft and fast. A few years ago they had problems with their greens (fungus?) but they've done a tremendous job in bringing em back to excellent playing shape.

$29 to play 18 that includes all u can hit range balls or $35 for unlimited play with range balls and your choice of lunch or sleeve of (callaway diablo) balls. Cart girl has ice cold towels. Same deal this coming weekend too.

Great deal for the quality of the course.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1315372177' post='3547540']
Estrella is where we should do the next outing, maybe once before overseed?
[/quote]

I tried setting one up a few weeks ago. I am always down to play estrella

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1315371140' post='3547508']
Don't get me wrong, its a visually impressive piece of property with a massive clubhouse and a nice long entry to the course, nice practice facilities and stuff, but honestly, I don't even think $35 would be worth it. I'd much rather play longbow, Dino Mountain, or a handful of others.

I'd like for Blake to chime in and share his opinions,too! The conditions were crappy and I really didn't find the layout of the course itself one that left me dying to come back and play it again, especially at $50.
[/quote]

Conditions are transitory. I can overlook conditioning issues, especially on a single play. If you encounter the same issues on multiple visits, that's another story. But I certainly can understand being disappointed when paying a premium price to be faced with less than premium conditions.

Despite the grandeur of the entrance and the clubhouse and practice facility (all overbuilt - no doubt one of the big reasons they are in dire straights financially), the golf course itself was a letdown. I've only played the Prospector and it really did not do anything for me. Don't get me wrong, a nice course for sure but nothing really special. I honestly don't think they got much out of the that spectacular setting, nothing that made particularly memorable use of the views or the natural terrain. It seems like they laid out the real estate and then gave the leftover to build a golf course. All in all, just another upscale housing tract course and like Mark said, there was nothing that really left me wanting to come back and play it again.

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1315371140' post='3547508']
Don't get me wrong, its a visually impressive piece of property with a massive clubhouse and a nice long entry to the course, nice practice facilities and stuff, but honestly, I don't even think $35 would be worth it. I'd much rather play longbow, Dino Mountain, or a handful of others.

I'd like for Blake to chime in and share his opinions,too! The conditions were crappy and I really didn't find the layout of the course itself one that left me dying to come back and play it again, especially at $50.
[/quote]

Here we go Mark lol.

Overall I agree with Mark. The course was just not that impressive. Especially since I called the pro shop before the round and asked how the greens were. The guy who answered the phone spent 5 minutes telling me why their course was in great shape and how they recovered from some sort of fungus last year. He said they course was in its best shape all summer. A few good things about the course. Bottled water on EVERY hole! I think me and mark drank $50 worth of water each lmao. The course was challenging and I liked the layout but the greens were just HORRIBLE. I had a 3 foot birdie but that was straight up hill and it bounced 3-4 times before it finally lipped in.

Lamont Mann dropped off a putter for me to try out before the round with the guys in the pro shop. So after the round the guys asked me how I liked the putter. I told them I liked the putter but also mentioned how both me and Mark felt about their greens, in a polite way, and how we felt decieved considering the man who booked our tee time assured me the course was in amazing shape. Long story short, I will not be heading back to Superstition Mountain.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

In the last couple of weeks...

S.Dunes - Great conditions. The flies are a bit annoying, especially in some of the bunkers. Unlimited play until 9/22 (I think).

Las Sendas - Great conditions.

Whirlwind - Great conditions. Fairly extensive bare areas on Devil's Claw, but I didn't have any lies in them. Best sand I've ever played; on both courses and in every bunker I was in; and I was in a lot of them that day.

Poston Butte - Great conditions. New greens were in great shape, front and back.

Las Colinas (9/8) - Fairways cut short and greens somewhat recovered from punching, but sanded. Sand like concrete. I like LC, but that was the worst I've experienced the conditions there. Didn't affect scoring all that much though. Mosquitoes are something of an issue at LC; bring repellent, esp if you plan to play until dusk.

Anybody have recent info on Red Mountain Ranch?

Played Toka Sticks today for some little charity event I got roped into.

I had never been there and was expecting a dump, especially since it's under renovation and all the tees are closed - temporary tees only right now.

The course actually wasn't too bad. It's pretty wet out there, but that doesn't matter when the tips are playing 5600. Greens were slow, but lush and with hardly any marks. I'd actually be interested to see this course after overseed with the new tees and slightly drier conditions. But I wouldn't drive all the way out there again, so that's not likely to happen...

Staff was also friendly.

[quote name='guptown ' timestamp='1315371474' post='3547514']
Played Golf Club of Estrella yesterday. Course and greens were in great shape. Fairways were excellent and the greens were soft and fast. A few years ago they had problems with their greens (fungus?) but they've done a tremendous job in bringing em back to excellent playing shape.

$29 to play 18 that includes all u can hit range balls or $35 for unlimited play with range balls and your choice of lunch or sleeve of (callaway diablo) balls. Cart girl has ice cold towels. Same deal this coming weekend too.

[/quote]

Me and Mark are playing out there this weekend. I havent played there since last year and I'm pretty excited!

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1315921569' post='3560999']

[/quote]

Me and Mark are playing out there this weekend. I havent played there since last year and I'm pretty excited!
[/quote]

May see you guys out there....will probably be out there for an afternoon round.

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1315950617' post='3562168']

[/quote]

[/quote]

May see you guys out there....will probably be out there for an afternoon round.

[/quote]

I will probably be down for another 9 at least after our round I'm not sure what Marks plans are. What time is your tee time

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1316017743' post='3563825']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I will probably be down for another 9 at least after our round I'm not sure what Marks plans are. What time is your tee time
[/quote]

6:26am...bright an early!

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1316023060' post='3564038']
[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1316017743' post='3563825']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

6:26am...bright an early!

[/quote]

Since when is 626 am an Afternoon Round HA!!

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

Played Superstition Springs this morning - Good deal for $28 w/ lunch and two drinks.

They've started drying out for overseed so the fairways are pretty brown and dry but very playable, which I like. Greens were a tad slow but in good shape. They're also doing a good job of letting guest know about the conditions with signs all over the clubhouse and on their website.

I happen to love playing during the couple weeks before overseed when the course is drying out. I wish more courses kept that kind of condition year-round. Better than having a mushy, overwatered course in the middle of the desert.

[quote name='silentcmh' timestamp='1316301423' post='3570872']
Played Superstition Springs this morning - Good deal for $28 w/ lunch and two drinks.

They've started drying out for overseed so the fairways are pretty brown and dry but very playable, which I like. Greens were a tad slow but in good shape. They're also doing a good job of letting guest know about the conditions with signs all over the clubhouse and on their website.

I happen to love playing during the couple weeks before overseed when the course is drying out. I wish more courses kept that kind of condition year-round. Better than having a mushy, overwatered course in the middle of the desert.
[/quote]

I would have to agree,
I played there Friday morning and I actually enjoyed the conditions. Courses in the desert should play a little dry in my opinion.
Maybe I just like all the roll I can get, haha.

I walked up to use the last free round from my Birdie card and was informed that there was a tournament, so I had to wait until 10:30.
The staff was excellent, and they gave me a free large bucket since I had to wait so long. Totally went out of their way to take care of me.

The bad news was that the tournament people were sloooooow.
And not just High Handicap slow like me, but farting around on the greens and tees slow.
Took 2:45 to finish the first 8, then I skipped over the ninth hole and the two backed up groups.
I finished the back in 1:15, which included some screwing around and practice balls.

Cool story huh bro?

How about a really quick recommendation on a couse for this Wed (Sept 21)? I'm currently booked at TPC Stadium but I know they've had some issues. Should I stay there or opt for something else? Money is no object (it's a work trip).

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

[quote name='dachtor' timestamp='1316442942' post='3573695']
How about a really quick recommendation on a couse for this Wed (Sept 21)? I'm currently booked at TPC Stadium but I know they've had some issues. Should I stay there or opt for something else? Money is no object (it's a work trip).
[/quote]

Wekopa saguaro or Troon north - Pinnacle

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

[/quote]

The way they were talking in August, I doubt it's in that great of shape. I had an outing there planned for Aug 7 that had to be cancelled due to them shutting down Stadium due to turf issues. They made it sound pretty bad and I assumed they were shutting down through overseed. Surprised they reopened already unless they're just milking cash.

Go to We Ko Pa Saguaro or somewhere else.

[/quote]\

TPC: Not a good choice

Boulders South or WeKopa Saguaro.

what about Greyhawk?

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

heard the raven@ south mountains greens were in FANTASTIC shape, but looking on golfnow, I didnt see any tee times so they might be closed for over seed prep. Last I had heard about vistal was that the greens were still shaggy, but that place is seriously the biggest crap shoot in the state, IMO. Ive played it where one week its in great shape, then like a month later its horrible. I do know the last time I was out there, they were still doing some bunker removal(about 1 or 2 months ago). If you can play it for under $25 it might be worth the risk involved haha. Legacy should be good, it seems to be pretty consistent. Never fantastic, never bad either.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

• 2 weeks later...

I played southern dunes today, it was in awesome shape! They are getting ready for overseed, so its playing very firm and fast, much like the southern dunes of old. I wish they would keep it if that style of playing conditions, the course just isn't the same when its over-seeded and heavily watered.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Played Starfire this morning for a playing lesson (client booked it). CPO, but their overseed came in pretty well. Played the Squire 9, looking forward to playing Hawk when it reopens. Greens slow and shaggy (as is to be expected), but fairways came in full. Surprisingly it was pretty light traffic wise, even at 840 on a Saturday.

Ive been looking at golfnow, can't believe the rates some(actually,most) places are charging right now while its still CPO and the greens are shaggy as hell.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie