2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Current Phoenix vicinity course conditions

fore_life

For Troon north and We koe pa. ... do you Phoenix locals know the best deals or where to get them. I and some friends are coming up for a trip. We're down in Sierra Vista. Just wondering if anyone knows some deals and besides the 2 mentioned above, what would be a third choice? I have played southern dunes only in that area, which was a good layout IMO. Thanks for any advice.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm playing Legacy tomorrow, then Southern Dunes on Wed, so I'll give a conditions report.

As far as getting the best deal at wekopa, you have to have a weko-pass or any other OB sports card, that will allow you to get discounted rates, otherwise you're out of luck, as they are not on EZlinks or Golfnow.

With troon, check ezlinks or golfnow, probably gonna be your best bet.

As far as a 3rd course....I'm not sure, I've only played a few up in Scottsdale, maybe One_Putt or TJY can chime in. Don't forget that troon and wekopa are both 36 hole layouts.

When are you coming up? Full 4some? Depending on the dates, I may be persuaded to join at wekopa,and I've got a OB card.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='golfer8787' timestamp='1313451391' post='3489772']
Thanks for the help.

I golfed with someone who said Whirlwind was a no brainer and also recommended Southern Dunes. Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Also, Southern Dunes is a freaking awesome track, and Whirlwind is a nice facility as well, but right now, only one of the two courses are open.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='golfer8787' timestamp='1313451391' post='3489772']
Thanks for the help.

I golfed with someone who said Whirlwind was a no brainer and also recommended Southern Dunes. Any thoughts?
[/quote]

whirlwind's cat tail course is in very good shape right now but with their new mowers they're trying out a much thicker and longer rough than ussual. keep your eye on your ball even if it barely runs through the fairway because that rough will hide your ball well and it's nasty to get out of. it's not a typicaly az style rough so it's definitely playing harder than it's rating right now for those of us not used to real rough! i managed a 77 and i swear if my scorecard would have said 87 i wouldn't have questioned it!

southern dunes is hands down one of the best in the state...better than many of the private courses. their fairways are in great shape and their greens "should" be back by now. i'm hoping to play there wednesday or thursday so i'll update if i do.

[quote name='golfer8787' timestamp='1313373831' post='3486000']
i am travelling to Phoenix for the last week of August and was hoping for some advice regarding which courses to play. I am not too worried about the cost as they all seem pretty cheap at this time of year. Its easy to figure out which are the best courses to play (there's a million lists on the internet). Its just hard to figure out which courses would be the best to play at this time of year.

I just don't want to show up to a course that's in terrible condition. I am thinking of Troon North, Greyhawk and likely two more. I was told that it was a good idea to play courses on reservations because they are not water restricted.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
[/quote]

if you want to stay up north look into the verde courses...imho, tonto verde's ranch course being the best followed by vista verde. it's been a few weeks since i've played both but they should be in good shape.

in the southern phoenix area, besides southern dunes and whirlwind, think about raven at south mountain. i haven't played there in a while but i checked in with them about 2wks ago and they had just finished aerating so they should be in good shape soon.

So, last week of full golf before I head back to school, and I was able to get out on Tue, Wed and Thur.

Legacy was in pretty solid shape from tee to green. Fairways were is awesome shape, and the greens were a little sandy, but still rolled well. Still not sure how I feel about Legacy, its nice but nothing that really makes me want to come back and play it often. I had a freebie round there, so I guess I shouldn't complain haha.

Southern Dunes was lush, which is weird to see out there. I wasn't getting much roll out off the tee, as the fairways were not the typical firm and fast of pre- ak chin days. Balls were pretty much stopping within 5 feet of the landing area, and I was getting tons of mud balls,too. The greens were also very soft and receptive, but needed to be double cut as they were a tad long, and very grainy. I paid $20 on golfnow and flew around the course, and after 18, I wanted more lol. Guys in the clubhouse said that until Sept 22nd, its all you can play(or until you get heatstroke), so I played 36 in just under 4 hrs 30 min.

I played longbow today at 9, $25. Maybe I'm a cheapo, but it sucks that they charge you $7 for range balls after paying green fees. It'd be nice if they just included a bag of like 10 or 15 warm up balls for free. Oh well. Despite that, Longbow is quickly becoming one of my favorite tracks to play(helps that I shot a personal best for a 7000+ yard track). Fairways on the front were great, cut nice and short, and firm. Greens had been scalped pretty low and were mildly firm, but were rolling pretty damn quick and true. I just really like the variety of par 3's they throw at you, as well as the par 4's. You have options to bomb it out there over some bunkers, or play smart golf(whaaat?) and lay up short of trouble and still have a comfortable yardage into the greens. That damn tree on the opening hole seems to be a magnet for my golf balls haha. Seemed like every par 3 played down wind today, and every par 5 played dead in to it. Really fun course, can't wait to get out there again.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Played Ken McDonald yesterday, twilight round, walked for $8. It was hot as hell, and I guess I'm not as young as I used to be haha cause I was beat after walking in the afternoon sun.

Other than that, the course was in pretty decent shape, MUCH better than a few months ago. Greens had grown in and were in good condition, just a little slow, but thats to be expected at a muni like Kenny Mac. Fun course to shoot around on a weekday afternoon, There were like 3 people on the course. My only major complaint is that yardages are marked horribly there, and without any GPS or rangefinder device, there's a lot of guesstimation to be done.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1314113729' post='3512655']
Played Ken McDonald yesterday, twilight round, walked for $8. It was hot as hell, and I guess I'm not as young as I used to be haha cause I was beat after walking in the afternoon sun.

Other than that, the course was in pretty decent shape, MUCH better than a few months ago. Greens had grown in and were in good condition, just a little slow, but thats to be expected at a muni like Kenny Mac. Fun course to shoot around on a weekday afternoon, There were like 3 people on the course. My only major complaint is that yardages are marked horribly there, and without any GPS or rangefinder device, there's a lot of guesstimation to be done.
[/quote]

What happened to becoming a weekend golfer? :cheesy:

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

Played the Raven @ Verrado Saturday Aug 20. Email special - $35 round that included lunch.

No hot dog & chips either, was basically a $14 credit in the grill, a very nice menu and really good food.

Verrado is one of my favorite layouts in the valley. Saturday's round was a disappointment however. Instead of the delightfully firm and fast conditions I have normally encountered out there, I was met with a lush green presentation that was very wet and slow. In addition, the rough had been grown to approx 3" deep. Balls in the rough were extremely hard to find and if found, were just brutally difficult to hack out.

Possible that the wet conditions were to promote grow-in following recent aerification and I hope that is the case rather than a change in philosophy for the maintenance presentation. I really don't know what's up with the rough however.

Despite the conditions, it was all-in-all, a very good deal for $35

Oh, did I mention, $2 domestic beers and MANGO SCENTED ICED TOWELS!

[quote name='Marrrk' timestamp='1314118910' post='3512934']
i'm heading to your fine area for a golf trip with some buddies over labor day weekend. playing both courses at Troon and Wekopa, as well as The Rim, Southern Dunes, and Gold Canyon (dinosaur). If anyone knows of bad conditions I should be aware of, please let me know.
[/quote]

troon and southern dunes should be in great shape. haven't played the rest in a while...

[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1314118645' post='3512926']
Played the Raven @ Verrado Saturday Aug 20. Email special - $35 round that included lunch.

No hot dog & chips either, was basically a $14 credit in the grill, a very nice menu and really good food.

Verrado is one of my favorite layouts in the valley. Saturday's round was a disappointment however. Instead of the delightfully firm and fast conditions I have normally encountered out there, I was met with a lush green presentation that was very wet and slow. In addition, the rough had been grown to approx 3" deep. Balls in the rough were extremely hard to find and if found, were just brutally difficult to hack out.

Possible that the wet conditions were to promote grow-in following recent aerification and I hope that is the case rather than a change in philosophy for the maintenance presentation. I really don't know what's up with the rough however.

Despite the conditions, it was all-in-all, a very good deal for $35

Oh, did I mention, $2 domestic beers and MANGO SCENTED ICED TOWELS!
[/quote]

Do u have the email to share? deleted mine.

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1314155164' post='3514586']
[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1314118645' post='3512926']

[/quote]

Do u have the email to share? deleted mine.

[/quote]

Sorry, just saw this and I'm at work. Don't think you need the email, just ask for the $35 special. I do remember it was only good thru midweek (Wed? Thurs?)

[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1314203869' post='3515864']
If anyone knows of bad conditions I should be aware of, please let me know.
[/quote]

[size="6"]It's fookin' HOT!![/size]

lol
[/quote]

115* yesterday!

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1314205929' post='3515993']
[/quote]

lol
[/quote]

115* yesterday!
[/quote]

haha. 3 of us are going to stay with a buddy who lives in Tempe and he's making it sound like the latest heat wave is no problem, "walked 9 in the afternoon and thought it was alright."

I walked 18 earlier this week and it was fookin hot, and thats from a native who never really complains about the heat. Just drink tons of water, then drink some more.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='Marrrk' timestamp='1314214138' post='3516418']
[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1314205929' post='3515993']
[/quote]

lol
[/quote]

115* yesterday!
[/quote]

haha. 3 of us are going to stay with a buddy who lives in Tempe and he's making it sound like the latest heat wave is no problem, "walked 9 in the afternoon and thought it was alright."
[/quote]

It hasnt been as hot during the day like it has in the past ( 120*+) but its still 95* in the middle of the night so your body has no time to actually cool down. You have to drink WATER/Gatorade and lots of it. I dont drink beer but people that do tend to get worn out faster than I. Alsom Lots of Sunscreen: not only before the round but several times during the round. You will get burned.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

many people hear about our "dry heat" but they don't understand everything that it encompasses. one thing for sure is that it evaporates perspiration much quicker than people realize so if you start drinking your water/gatorade once you've sweating it's already too late. you need to start hydrating at least 48hrs before you experience this heat if you're body's not acclimated to it!

Played the Biltmore (adobe) course yesterday. Course was in Ok conditions. Greens were dried out a bit. My main complaint is they had 2 water stations on the entire 18 hole course and have the balls to charge $4.50 for a small gatorade. How in the world can you be a golf course in Arizona and not have drinking water on almost every hole? I will never play there again.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1314378423' post='3521257']
Played the Biltmore (adobe) course yesterday. Course was in Ok conditions. Greens were dried out a bit. My main complaint is they had 2 water stations on the entire 18 hole course and have the balls to charge $4.50 for a small gatorade. How in the world can you be a golf course in Arizona and not have drinking water on almost every hole? I will never play there again.
[/quote]

Some course have done away with water entirely. They use the excuse that for health reasons. Playing Dino Mtn tomorrow...this comes with the reservation: [color=#454545][size=2]Due to recent health concerns we no longer provide DRINKING WATER stations on our golf courses. You may bring your own bottled water or you may purchase bottled water from any of our food & beverage outlets. Golfers responsible for damage to Gold Canyon property.[/size][/color][color=#454545][size=2] [/size][/color]
[size="2"][color="#454545"]
[/color][/size]
[/color][/size]

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1314390871' post='3521734']
[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1314378423' post='3521257']
[/quote]

Some course have done away with water entirely. They use the excuse that for health reasons. Playing Dino Mtn tomorrow...this comes with the reservation: [color="#454545"][size="2"]Due to recent health concerns we no longer provide DRINKING WATER stations on our golf courses. You may bring your own bottled water or you may purchase bottled water from any of our food & beverage outlets. Golfers responsible for damage to Gold Canyon property.[/size][/color][color="#454545"][size="2"] [/size][/color]
[/color][/size]
[/color][/size]

[/quote]

When I played Dino we had to leave the course to get water at the walgreens down the street. You would think its more of a health concern NOT to have water. They do realise its 115* outside right?:russian_roulette:

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1314390871' post='3521734']&lt;br /&gt;[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1314378423' post='3521257']&lt;br /&gt;Played the Biltmore (adobe) course yesterday.  Course was in Ok conditions.  Greens were dried out a bit.  My main complaint is they had 2 water stations on the entire 18 hole course and have the balls to charge $4.50 for a small gatorade.  How in the world can you be a golf course in Arizona and not have drinking water on almost every hole?  I will never play there again.&lt;br /&gt;[/quote]&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;Some course have done away with water entirely.  They use the excuse that for health reasons.  Playing Dino Mtn tomorrow...this comes with the reservation:  &lt;font color=&quot;#454545&quot;&gt;&lt;font face=&quot;verdana&quot;&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot;&gt;Due to recent health concerns we no longer provide DRINKING WATER stations on our golf courses. You may bring your own bottled water or you may purchase bottled water from any of our food &amp;amp; beverage outlets. Golfers responsible for damage to Gold Canyon property.&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font color=&quot;#454545&quot;&gt;&lt;font face=&quot;verdana&quot;&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot;&gt; &lt;/font&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;font face=&quot;verdana&quot;&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot;&gt;&lt;font color=&quot;#454545&quot;&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;font face=&quot;verdana&quot;&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot;&gt;&lt;font color=&quot;#454545&quot;&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;[/quote]&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />Hey Joe, how's the game, we got to play together again soon...Sam

[quote name='silentcmh' timestamp='1314401416' post='3522031']
Before I type the whole story out, do you guys know the story behind courses not having water coolers on carts and the course anymore, as of about eight years ago? It's also the story behind the "Ice is not for human consumption" stickers you see on some courses' cart ice coolers.
[/quote]

Link to the article about the young kid who died after drinking tainted water out at Vistal. Something to think about.

http://www.safeteewater.com/PDF/SuperNews.pdf

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1314406452' post='3522164']
[quote name='silentcmh' timestamp='1314401416' post='3522031']
Before I type the whole story out, do you guys know the story behind courses not having water coolers on carts and the course anymore, as of about eight years ago? It's also the story behind the "Ice is not for human consumption" stickers you see on some courses' cart ice coolers.
[/quote]

Link to the article about the young kid who died after drinking tainted water out at Vistal. Something to think about.

[url="http://www.safeteewater.com/PDF/SuperNews.pdf"]http://www.safeteewa...F/SuperNews.pdf[/url]
[/quote]

That's the one - I was working at a local CC at the time it happened and we had to overhaul the cooler system, but it was still pretty unsanitary.

As someone who spent about seven years working at three different local courses, I can tell you to be glad courses don't put coolers on courses and carts that much anymore. They were always DISGUSTING. Honestly, there were rarely cleaned at any course until the incident at Thunderbirds/Vistal. Everyone (everyone meaning all the local courses) freaked out after that and made some effort to clean up, but it's a lot easier to just remove all the coolers than sanitize them every day. Plus, it's just straight hose water in those.

It's a wonder more people weren't sickened by tainted water coolers in town back then. Imagine a restaurant only cleaning a glass after every tenth customer and you get the idea.