2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos Γ—

Current Phoenix vicinity course conditions

fore_life

I always try to bring a few bottles of water with me, but to tell you the truth, I always end up filling up multiple times from the jugs on course. Some of the old school muni's still have the metal drinking fountains, and longbow has the same. Its hard as hell to bring enough water with you for summer golf in AZ, unless you just bring a gallon jug for the cart.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratchΒ  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Β 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1314407327' post='3522200']
I always try to bring a few bottles of water with me, but to tell you the truth, I always end up filling up multiple times from the jugs on course. Some of the old school muni's still have the metal drinking fountains, and longbow has the same. Its hard as hell to bring enough water with you for summer golf in AZ, unless you just bring a gallon jug for the cart.
[/quote]

And never forget your "mio".... I luv that stuff. Just a little squirt in the bottle and you have flavored water.

PING G425 MaxΒ  Β  Β  Β 10.5* TenseiΒ  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 MaxΒ  Β  Β  Β 16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  5-PWΒ  Β  Β w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shaftsΒ (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 rawΒ  Β  Β  Β  50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0Β  Black out shaftΒ (+ 1/4”)

OdysseyΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β AI OneΒ  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM RossiΒ  Β M-21 ReserveΒ andΒ Odyssey Tri HotΒ  Β  Β  5k Seven CHΒ  Β 

Β 

I stocked up on that stuff! Love the fruit punch, the mango/peach is so-so, and the sweet tea is awesome with a little bit of lemon haha.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Β 

[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1314378423' post='3521257']
Played the Biltmore (adobe) course yesterday. Course was in Ok conditions. Greens were dried out a bit. My main complaint is they had 2 water stations on the entire 18 hole course and have the balls to charge $4.50 for a small gatorade. How in the world can you be a golf course in Arizona and not have drinking water on almost every hole? I will never play there again.
[/quote]

Had the same experience at Sunridge Canyon on Wednesday except they had NO drinkable water on the course and no cart person. Course was in the worst condition I have ever seen for a course. Will never play there again. Pins were laying in the grass on 5 of the back nine holes so you had no idea where to aim other than the center of the green. Told the guy in the pro shop that not having water on a course when it is 114 degrees outside boarders on criminal. He just laughed!

Played Legend Trails yesterday, great deal! We paid $31 and that included lunch! Course was in good shape for this time of year. Damn hot out there yesterday too!

WITB:
Ping S55 5-PW
Ping G30 10.5 Driver
Ping Glide Wedges 50, 54, 60
Ping G30 21Β° hybrid
Cobra King F6+ 25Β°

[quote name='Swordfish' timestamp='1314450982' post='3523021']
[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1314378423' post='3521257']
Played the Biltmore (adobe) course yesterday. Course was in Ok conditions. Greens were dried out a bit. My main complaint is they had 2 water stations on the entire 18 hole course and have the balls to charge $4.50 for a small gatorade. How in the world can you be a golf course in Arizona and not have drinking water on almost every hole? I will never play there again.
[/quote]

Had the same experience at Sunridge Canyon on Wednesday except they had NO drinkable water on the course and no cart person. Course was in the worst condition I have ever seen for a course. Will never play there again. Pins were laying in the grass on 5 of the back nine holes so you had no idea where to aim other than the center of the green. Told the guy in the pro shop that not having water on a course when it is 114 degrees outside boarders on criminal. He just laughed!

Played Legend Trails yesterday, great deal! We paid $31 and that included lunch! Course was in good shape for this time of year. Damn hot out there yesterday too!
[/quote]

What specifically was bad about the conditions at Sunridge? I used to work there and it's always been arguably my favorite course in town. That sucks if it has gone downhill. I believe it's privately owned now, so without the benefit of a larger corporations budget, they may be struggling.

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1314399170' post='3521968']
Officially out of commission for a while....tore ligaments and serious ankle sprain in left leg. Out for at least 4-6 weeks. Overseed anyways....so not as traumatic as it could have been!!

Definitely when i recover.
[/quote]

If you tell me you injured yourself running from javelina.... kidding, hope you heal quickly... we need to tee it up again. :)

PING i230Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  5-PWΒ  Β  Β w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shaftsΒ (+ 1/4”)

BULLPEN

Β 

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1314418654' post='3522635']
I stocked up on that stuff! Love the fruit punch, the mango/peach is so-so, and the sweet tea is awesome with a little bit of lemon haha.
[/quote]

The berry-pomegranite is off the hook... I have two bottles in my bag right now.

BULLPEN

Β 

Played Lone Tree this afternoon for $21
Course was in really good shape. I guess they played the Arizona Mid Amateur Tourney there this weekend, so it was still playing under those conditions.
Greens were firm and fast, and punishing for a hack like me. But I had a great time, and I was overall very impressed. Certainly the best conditions I have seen out there this summer.
I would recommend anyone looking for a challenge to check it out, I'm sure the current conditions will hold up for a little while.

On a side note, they had some incredibly evil pin placements. It's amazing how fun that is, even when you are purely terrible.

Officially out of commission for a while....tore ligaments and serious ankle sprain in left leg. Out for at least 4-6 weeks. Overseed anyways....so not as traumatic as it could have been!!

Β 

Definitely when i recover.

Β 

Β 

If you tell me you injured yourself running from javelina.... kidding, hope you heal quickly... we need to tee it up again. :)

Β 

LOL...at least that would have been a cool story!

Β 

Believe it or not....it's a golf injury! I was at Ocotillo in a shotgun event....#1 Blue was 2nd to last hole....hit a massive drive and had 178 to the pin....tried drawing the ball, but left it out right...it landed between the bunkers on the right. Pin was up front....so I had to flop it over the bunker. I made a relatively big swing...momentum pulled me towards the bunker, bunker edge gave way and I fell in with my left ankle rolling in multiple directions. russian_roulette.gif

Β 

Severe sprain, slight tears and stretched ligaments....ligaments very loose. Defo no golf!

Β 

Β 

Β 

[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1314652487' post='3528212']
I like Lone Tree but for that stupid island green par-3. :bad:
[/quote]

For some reason I love that damn thing. :)

Played the Bear Creek Cub course today to try out the new G20s my girlie bought me for my birthday.
I like the layout there and I got a chance to try out every club in the bag.
Unforturnately the greens were utterly shagadellic and slooooow.
I left about 5 6-10ft puts 1-5" short, so maddening and hard to adjust too after the ultra fast roll on Saturday.
Other than that conditions where good, I was the only guy out there.

Probably going to play Kokopelli with some work friends on Wednesday, and maybe San Marcos tomorrow if the $10 special is in place.

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1314406452' post='3522164']
[quote name='silentcmh' timestamp='1314401416' post='3522031']
Before I type the whole story out, do you guys know the story behind courses not having water coolers on carts and the course anymore, as of about eight years ago? It's also the story behind the "Ice is not for human consumption" stickers you see on some courses' cart ice coolers.
[/quote]

Link to the article about the young kid who died after drinking tainted water out at Vistal. Something to think about.

[url="http://www.safeteewater.com/PDF/SuperNews.pdf"]http://www.safeteewa...F/SuperNews.pdf[/url]
[/quote]

That's the story I thought of immediately too. I don't drink from the coolers on the course. Ever.

[quote name='asualum' timestamp='1314686094' post='3529355']
[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1314406452' post='3522164']
[quote name='silentcmh' timestamp='1314401416' post='3522031']
Before I type the whole story out, do you guys know the story behind courses not having water coolers on carts and the course anymore, as of about eight years ago? It's also the story behind the "Ice is not for human consumption" stickers you see on some courses' cart ice coolers.
[/quote]

Link to the article about the young kid who died after drinking tainted water out at Vistal. Something to think about.

[url="http://www.safeteewater.com/PDF/SuperNews.pdf"]http://www.safeteewa...F/SuperNews.pdf[/url]
[/quote]

That's the story I thought of immediately too. I don't drink from the coolers on the course. Ever.
[/quote]

oh man, that article just completely screwed me up.

Kokopelli last night for $14
The nice guy at the front even gave the other two guys my PDP rate so they got a bit of a deal, also hard to beat $2 PBRs.
Didn't make it all the way around as one of the guys was about 40 minutes late, but conditions were acceptable.
Greens were shaggy and slow, but they weren't really bumpy from the punching a few weeks ago.
The proshop informed me they are having a few tournaments coming up so they will be getting the greens in to better shape soon. I will report back if that ever turns out to be the case.

Anyone playing in the East Valley this weekend?

Hopefully Golf Club of Scottsdale for me on Sunday

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm not sure, blake booked it for us, I think its $50? Def the high end of my budget right now thats for sure

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Β 

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1314941589' post='3536701']
I'm not sure, blake booked it for us, I think its $50? Def the high end of my budget right now thats for sure
[/quote]

It is $50 and im taking marks word that its worth it lol..

I Played Legacy yesterday and the greens were in really good shape. They held the ball really well and had a good fast pace to them. I Played really early but it seems like they really over water the farways. My drives would literally get negative roll out because it would hit and bounce backwards. but overall well worth the $25 price tag!

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60*Β 
Ping Oslo

Went out to test the ankle yesterday at Champions course....it is is excellent condition!

Greens were firm and quick(probably 11) but rolled perfectly. Fairways watered down heavily in some areas preventing rollout, but all in all great shape. Bunkers were even in good shape with a decent amount of sand, but still hard underneath the layer.

Tried out my new TD Black #8 and I have to say, I love it...just not used to that style...but once I got the hang of it I made quite a few putts.....although getting to the green took forever! Ankle is a long way away from being good!

I played there today too, but for $8. A few years ago the greens were INCREDIBLE, hopefully they'll get back to the same shape.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Β 

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1315266193' post='3543920']
superstition mountain was a rip off @ $50 and the pro shop guys were dicks!
[/quote]

What happened... The two times I was there the course was phenomenal... and never had an issue with the pro shop. Please don't tell me that they are heading towards Bankruptcy again...

BULLPEN

Β 

Western Skies on Saturday for $17 with all the fees and taxes.
Course was in decent shape for this time of year. Nothing spectacular and the greens were a little slow and shaggy.
First time I have played there and I was happy to shoot an 88, officially breaking 90 for the first time.
Overall I liked the place, though I don't think I would ever want to pay more than $25 to play there, unless the conditions were incredible.

Bear Creek Bear course on Sunday, used some pre-paid rounds so it was about $13 each or so.
Course was in good shape, about the same as it has been all summer. Greens were a touch slow but not terrible.
I think they can justify the rates they charge in the summer as this has been one of the most consistent Municipals I have seen in the area, not looking forward to the high-priced peak rates though

Augusta Ranch Exec Monday night for $17. Relatively steep for an Exec but I had a hankering to play there.
This was my first full round here, and I was impressed with the course and the conditions.
Greens played slower on the front than the back, but not bad for the type of course and season. Certainly worth a play if you want to work on your irons and are in the area.

Can someone explain to me why people won't take the 5 seconds to repair their damn pitch marks?

Sad to hear about Superstition Mountain. We demand the juicy details of the crappiness.

[quote name='kvnhlstd' timestamp='1315316391' post='3545155']
[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1315266193' post='3543920']
superstition mountain was a rip off @ $50 and the pro shop guys were dicks!
[/quote]

What happened... The two times I was there the course was phenomenal... and never had an issue with the pro shop. Please don't tell me that they are heading towards Bankruptcy again...
[/quote]

Yeah...interested to know what the heck happened? The last two times I was there it was great.

The greens were terrible, ahwatukee has better greens by far. The greens seriously looked like a cord grip haha. Also sucks that we got sent out behind a shotgun start, which we weren't expecting on a Sat morning at 830. I know its summer and courses don't have the BEST greens right now, but when the pro shop tells us its the best shape its been in all summer and we pay $50 for a tee time, I expect conditions to be at a certain level, far and above the local muni down the street. Nice range, nice clubhouse, nice look to the facility, but I honestly don't care about that stuff, I just want to pay golf and enjoy the course.

Also, when the guys in the pro shop asked us about the round, we politely voiced our disappointment with the course conditions, and they seemed like they could seriously care less, in fact the guy just said "oh." Guess they don't care about the guys coming out for daily fee play, but I know I definately won't be coming back to Superstition Mountain.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Β 

Don't get me wrong, its a visually impressive piece of property with a massive clubhouse and a nice long entry to the course, nice practice facilities and stuff, but honestly, I don't even think $35 would be worth it. I'd much rather play longbow, Dino Mountain, or a handful of others.

I'd like for Blake to chime in and share his opinions,too! The conditions were crappy and I really didn't find the layout of the course itself one that left me dying to come back and play it again, especially at $50.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Β