2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist 910D3 with RIP X Stiff Problems

Hello all, I'm new here but I've heard and read so many great things about this site that I had to join.

So I recently purchased the 910D3 with the Aldila RIP X Stiff shaft. I previously had the old old ping si3 but with my SS I was having too many duck hooks in my previous Stiff aldila shaft. So I went and was fitted on a Vector (I know, sorry no trackman) with my PGA Golf Professional who I work with every week. The RIP gave me the best performance, bringing my flight down, spin down, and it seemed to be the best option. So I have still been adjusting to it lately since my previous driver was 1.5 inches longer, but I feel that I now am used to it and should be hitting the ball where I want.

Now the problem. I have my driver set to the maximum amount of draw on the titleist matrix. So right now I have it at A3. And my ball keeps going right. It is not a slice, but it has a strong fade on it. Me and my pro just can't figure it out. I understand that people say if it is too stiff it will go right, but I swing my driver 130mph. So I don't think that I am in something too stiff - maybe I need stiffer? So we decided to video my swing and analyze it on his V1 software, hoping that I was coming across the ball in order to make sense of my fade when my driver was set to max draw. Well I did 3 swings, one had a slight fade and the other 2 had bigger fades, and when we looked at the swings, they were all perfectly on plane and I was releasing through and not coming across it at all.

So at this point we are lost for words. We don't understand what is happening. He was so dumbfounded, he got on the phone immediately and called Cleveland (his sponsor) to talk to their shaft guru's.

So do I need stiffer? Do I need added length like my previous driver? I hit all of my other clubs straight and maybe even the slightest draw. Any help would be greatly appreciated, seeing as I just spent $430 on a club that isn't performing the way my swing is.

Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the club is lagging behind too much. Each shaft has different degrees of stiffness in their x. It could be as simple as just another shaft brand. Try messing around with the adjustability a little more before moving forward though. That is a little odd. Maybe swing slower too? 130ss? That's steep

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

Are u sure you swing 130mph? I mean holy cow. That speed is only attainable by a rare few. What do you hit from the 150yd marker? SW 200yd marker? 9 iron. Do you hit driver 7 iron on most par 5's? If so, then you're 130mph. If not, then go get your swingspeed measured on a different device.

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?02401

Your first post and you claim to swing faster than a Gary Woodland, DJ, JB et al?

Ping G430 LST 98 VenTUS Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

I have a slightly slower SS - closer to 117-120. I can easily get the ball out there 300 yards and 330 if I really go after it. I'm using a 9.5* D3 and I thought I needed the A2 setting for maximal draw but it also makes the club 1.5* upright and for my height, that is just too much. The upright-ness was making me open up the club face on impact so I was hitting it right like you are. So I went down to B1 (which would be maximum fade) and it flattens the lie angle by 0.75* and now I'm hitting nice baby draws. It seems very counter intuitive hitting draws on the fade setting, but it makes sense. Don't look at the surefit chart for draw/fades. Drivers are not like irons and they do not make contact with the ground so the lie angle doesn't REALLY determine the draw/fade like irons. You tend to draw irons if they are too upright because the heel makes contact first and vice versa for iron being too flat. Look at the lie angles instead and adjust it for your swing/height.

Why are you playing at A3? That increases the loft and lie angle by 1.5*. If you really want to keep the extra loft, try B4 or C4. I would go with B1, but only because I've had so much success at that setting.

Thanks for the posts. Yes, I do swing 130 with the driver. Most people don't believe me but I've been measured on two different systems. I hit my PW with a smooth swing 150 yards no problem. If I hit a strong PW, I can hit it 170. I've hit my 9 iron just short of 190 before, but I don't swing like that with my irons. Typical smooth 9 is 165. At my course with 520+ yard par fives, yes I will hit Driver 7 iron, or driver 8 iron. My PGA Pro says I am kind of like Jamie Sadlowski, lol. In the sense that I am only 6 foot, 160 pounds, and no one would expect me to swing so hard. But he has never had a problem with it because I am in complete control of my swing, balance etc, and not swinging out of my shoes. I am not trying to lie and waste your time, I understand I am in a 'rare' category, but I do swing 130.

superman- Ok I will definitely try that. Just yesterday we put it to A3 because that said it would give 'max draw' and my pro wanted to see my ball go the highest possible. But yes what you are saying makes sense and I'll try it today. At this point I'm up for anything because I feel my swing is good and I don't want to change it.

[quote name='BTP' timestamp='1312034025' post='3435868']
Sounds like the club is lagging behind too much. Each shaft has different degrees of stiffness in their x. It could be as simple as just another shaft brand. Try messing around with the adjustability a little more before moving forward though. That is a little odd. Maybe swing slower too? 130ss? That's steep
[/quote]

+1

My first thought after watching your video was that you were open to your target with your shoulders at impact. This leaves the face open a hair.

Sync it up a bit. I do the same damn thing.

Sometimes a thought for me that works is to "wait for it" a bit, or keeping back to the target a millisecond longer.

Nice swing.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

I agree with Station. Impressive swing, and I never would have known you swung that hard until I saw your downswing.

I think it's a shaft problem - IIRC, the RIP retains flex for a long time, so with the amount of lag and speed you have coming through, it won't keep up like you need it to. I suggest maybe getting fit for a new shaft through a place that has a Trackman (or other reputable monitor) or something like that.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

I would not swing 130 for long, just for sake of saving injuries. It does look a bit out to in...just a tad....but ok for sure. Try the heavier px shaft AFTER having trackman results measured. You have to be, with that ss, near 200 ball speed. You may need to tip a x flex or get a xx....like a tour ad 9003.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem with the new adjustable shafts is that as you adjust the shaft you also adjust the Spine & Neutral spots effecting how the shaft reacts... I've got the same stick with an Stiff RIP... I tried all different settings and they really didn't match what you would think they would do. I hit the ball straight or a slight fade, my ugly shots slice. I hit the ball best in B1 max fade. I pulled the shaft and checked it, I'm lined up with a neutral spot on 9:00 or my face line.

The RIP is a great shaft, you might just play with the shaft spinning it around until you hit it the best.

Cheers!

Having a high swing speed myself, I feel your pain. I can get into the high 130s on a vector if I really go at it. I was experience the exact high right ball flight you mentioned in my previous shafts. I had an RIP 60x tipped 1.5 inches that I just hit high right on too many shots. Its because your club is lagging too much. You definitely want to get your shaft tipped. And don't be afraid to tip it over an inch. I'm surprised the pro didn't already recommend this.

I sometimes play a 83x whiteboard tipped two inches. Although right now I'm playing a project x 8aa4 shaft. These to shafts have really helped me with my driver consistency. In addition, play a 80 gram shaft minimum. Don't even think about anything less. Also, the titleist head is going to be a bit heavier than say lighter 197-198 gram head. The lighter head will make the shaft play stiffer and will be more to your liking.

So, get a light head, a heavy shaft, and tip that shaft 2 inches. Install it and your slice will be gone.

It sounds like an improper fit from the shaft, but it may be compounded
with your natural swing tendency. What happens to your ball flight when
your club is set to neutral or normal ? I have always believed that adjustable
drivers can only enhance ball flight, Not cover up swing issues. Have you had this
flight pattern in the past ? Have you considered a heavier gram shaft ? What
happens when you swing on an extreme in to out pattern ? You have most
likely tried or have discussed these ideas with your fitter !!!

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

• 3 weeks later...

call up roy mcnix in colombus ga, mcnix golf. or just go to his website and look around. you will have your question answered. i am a long hitter, my average "course swing" is upper 120's & my "kill it" holes i average 360yds+- i have to have a heavier shaft. 80g whiteboard or 70g ahina w/ 5g plug to move bendpoint higher up the shaft. if i pickup a driver w/ a 60g shaft or lighter THE BALL IS GOING RIGHT! so like i said look up mcnix golf. maybe this will help. [url="http://www.mcnixgolf.com/Ball_Flight_and_Club_Weight_for_fitting.pdf"]http://www.mcnixgolf.com/Ball_Flight_and_Club_Weight_for_fitting.pdf[/url] and watch his videos it will explain a lot for you!

• 2 weeks later...

For some players, a closed clubface may encourage the player to pull the club away on an outside line (square to the face) and then return it to this position. You definitely have an over the top move, so I'm guessing that your previous hooks were pull hooks. The 910s dont ever get any "draw bias" as far as weighting, they are simply making the club more upright, which will in some cases promote a draw.

I actually found that I could not use the flat B1 setting because I found myself flattening out my plane and pulling the club away inside, and ultimately getting hooky.

SLDR 430 Tour AD MT-7x
915-Fd Fuji 757x
MP-4 4-PW C-taper 115x
Scratch raw 54/60
Mills tour/ Pro V1

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1312556804' post='3454225']
[quote name='BTP' timestamp='1312034025' post='3435868']
[/quote]

+1

My first thought after watching your video was that you were open to your target with your shoulders at impact. This leaves the face open a hair.

Sync it up a bit. I do the same damn thing.

Sometimes a thought for me that works is to "wait for it" a bit, or keeping back to the target a millisecond longer.

Nice swing.
[/quote]

I also think that a little shoulder tilt away from the target will cause it to go more left/straighten out.