2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pacific Dunes..at Bandon Dunes

golfman65

some pic's etc.
Found an old file with pic's of one of my trips down there..Pacific Dunes is by far my favorite...tough little mother with all the wind...i shot a 75 from the tips with a double on the last hole...but still was pretty happy with that...here's the pic's.

thought i'd add that bandon or pacific dunes are TRUE links courses..so often you hear that a course is a links course but it's an Americanized version...you can't use you lob wedge at pacific unless it has zero bounce..matter of fact any club with bounce will only work in the sand for the most part..the ground is that hard...if you stick one next to a hole there you might be lucky to find your ball within 15 yards of the green..you do not hit and stick shots on those greens...it's kind of tough at first to get used to playing this kind of golf and i still think it rewards crappy golfer better then good ones..but once you get used to chipping off the green with your 3w...and hitting punch shots one to two clubs less and letting them release onto the greens...it can be pretty damn cool....oh and it is ALWAYS pretty damn cool there...cold for that matter..and the wind does bllllllooooowwwwww.......

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I know its an old thread but I just thought Id bump it and say Pacific is the best course I have played, including the top links in Ireland.

Callaway TC Epic with GD DI7 

Callaway TC Epic 15* Fuji Pro 95
TM R7 ALE 7 Wood Fuji Pro 95
Titleist T200 2 iron / Titleist T100S 4 - 9 AMT White 
National Custom Works 49* 54* 59* DG S400
Scotty Camreon ButtonBack

I leave for Bandon five weeks from today!!! :)

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

On Pacific's 1st tee, play a soft draw into the center of the fairway to left center. Great way to ease into the round.

If you head off on Bandon #1, hug the right side of the fairway so you can cut off the approach distance. A bit intimidating second shot, but just relax and stay on the ball.

#1 on Bandon is a great ice breaker. Fairly easy Par 4. Ask your caddie on all 3 courses for greens reading advice and speed.

I love this place.

• 1 month later...

My flight to Oregon is this afternoon, can't tell you all how excited I am. I don't have a digital camera, so I guess you'll have to rely on my descriptions, but I'll give a full report. :crazy:

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I live in Portland so I have a bit of advantage over many. I can get in my car and be there in 4 hours of scenic driving. I've been to Bandon Dunes 6 times now. I've travelled there as part of a twosome and my last time with a group of 8. In March of 07, we're expanding it to 12.

During my first visit, only Bandon Dunes was open. Played 36 holes. The first day was perfect weather, the second day I got to experience a 3 club wind. While it was fun, I didn't enjoy the windblasted feeling I had for 2 days afterwards. I thought it was a neat course but was glad it wasn't my home course because of the conditions it put you through. My next trip was with midwest customers that wanted to play it. Lo and behold, I suddenly got it. The golfing experience the course presented to me was like a golfing epiphany.

You may love this place the first time you play it. If you don't, trust me...it will grow on you like you can't believe. The weather makes every round potentially different. You have to hit shots that you don't normally hit. Knock downs and low runners are a blast to play if you don't get to hit them often. It's so much fun trying to figure out what the courses are giving you that the score almost becomes secondary.

They've just announced course #4 is in the design process. I can't freaking wait.......

• 4 weeks later...

i have to agree w/ those who think that bandon is a great course, the staff is friendly, top notch service and the rooms are great. there were 40 of us in our group and we stayed in the chrome lake rooms and they are spectacular. my previous visists we've stayed at the lily ponds and at the lodge itself, all were just as good, i really like the bathrooms, when i build my dream home the master bedroom will be fashioned after chrome lake's layout. talk about a practice facility, its gigantic. the only knock on the course is bandon trails, it seems that you would have to be a goat to walk that course. walking up and down some steep slopes, especially w/ a 30-40lb bag on your back can be very tiresome, even w/ the rickshaw. hopefully the new course will be a bit flatter but more tree lined like some of the holes on trails. we lucked out last weekend being that it was early december and p-town had crappy weather, we were blessed w/ sunshine for all 3 days and in mid to high 50's. on the 3rd day at trails, it got up to 58 degrees and i was breaking a good sweat, especially after walking up to the tee box on one hole.

nothing but praise for the courses and the entire facility there. if anyone gets a chance to play the private course, its not bad, just be aware of flying balls, the tee boxes are very close to other greens, very close....

• 4 months later...

Played all three out there last year. All I can say is I hope to get back. As soon as possible. Pac Dunes ranks ahead of Muirfield Village on my top played list. It is incredible. Cool and a little rainy (in June!) but nevertheless amazing. Definitely not the kind of course I find in Ohio, though. True links is right. Even made an 80 foot putt!

Played all three courses. Only down side was a slightly annoying caddie who kept calling me "Chief" and one of my friends, "Little Man." But definitely get a caddies, esp on Trails where carrying your own bag will be a killer. The hike up to #13 (I think 13, not sure) is brutal without a bag, let alone with. But what a tee shot afterward.

Coupled it with a trip to Pumpkin Ridge to play Ghost Creek. I really liked PR - very inviting course, which I like.

• 2 weeks later...

I fly into Eugene, OR on May 16th, less than 2 weeks away. We arrive at 12:30, drive to Bandon and hope to play at least 9 that afternoon. Then the fun (I hope fun) begins.

May 17th 9:50 Bandon Trails 3:10 Pacific Dunes

May 18th 9:30 & 3:00 Bandon Dunes

May 19th 6:40 Pacific Dunes 1:00 Bandon Trails

If I live through it I will be amazed. If not I guess I will be in heaven when I die.

I fly into Eugene, OR on May 16th, less than 2 weeks away. We arrive at 12:30, drive to Bandon and hope to play at least 9 that afternoon. Then the fun (I hope fun) begins.

May 17th 9:50 Bandon Trails 3:10 Pacific Dunes

May 18th 9:30 & 3:00 Bandon Dunes

May 19th 6:40 Pacific Dunes 1:00 Bandon Trails

If I live through it I will be amazed. If not I guess I will be in heaven when I die.

Well, we're all seriously jealous.

Take lots of pictures -- you gotta post them :p

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jan. 18-20th any doubt that I have a hardcore golfing "problem" will be thoroughly erased. We got a SICK package deal for 2 nights, 2 rounds, 2 dinners, 1 breakfast for $400!!! We only pay $75 for the 3rd round. It's a 8+ hour drive from Seattle and my 3 buddies are all piling in to my bio-diesel Jetta wagon and road-tripping it down there...so far the weather says 50 and SUNNY! We're bringing down an excessive amount of good wine, good cigars and poker chips for the evenings. Me, my best man and two groomsmen from my wedding last July, all single digit handicaps, playing at the Mecca of U.S. golf.

EPIC...

:drinks:

Proud Walking Golfer
What's in my Ping Moonlite bag:
Ping G425 LST 9* X 65g Tensei Orange
TaylorMade Sim2 15* X 70g Tensei AV Raw Blue
Ping G410 Hybrid 19* X 80g Tensei Blue
Ping iBlades red dot 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Titleist Vokey Raw SM7 54M 1* flat ProjectX 6.0

Titleist Vokey Raw SM4 TVD 60M 1* flat Tour Issue DG S400
TaylorMade TP Maranello 8-02 “Rossa” 34.5” w/black IomicX

We have a group of 12 of us that go every fall- it's truly an amazing experience. Being in the golf business, I've had the blessing of playing a lot of the country's best courses and Pacific Dunes ranks as my all-time favorite.

One of the posts was a reference to the fourth course. We had a chance to talk to head golf professional John Groethe this November and he told us the Old MacDonald Course will be shaped in 2008 with some trial rounds in 2009 and a formal opening in 2010. They have flags out in the gorse where the green sites are already to the east (left) of number 13 out on Pacific Dunes already. Here's a story from Golf Magazine written earlier this year:

"When the fourth course opens at Oregon's Bandon Dunes Resort in three years, it won't just be measured against the formidable existing tracks—all three of which rank among GOLF Magazine's Top 100 Courses in the U.S.—but also against one of the greatest architects in the history of the craft.

The Old Macdonald course will be a tribute to Charles Blair Macdonald, who created National Golf Links of America in New York, the favorite course of Bandon owner Mike Keiser, and will draw inspiration from Old Mac's celebrated design elements, like Alps and Redan holes, and Biarritz greens. Tom Doak will design it—with an assist from his deputy Jim Urbina and a group of "trusted golf architecture aficionados"—on 400 acres beside his Pacific Dunes course.

"The overriding sentiment is that it should be as bold as possible, and shouldn't just be a watered-down imitation," Doak says. "National is as dramatic as any course in the world."

As for the unconventional group collaboration, Doak says, "We are collaborating with Macdonald first, and then we are looking to the other participants to help keep us on the right path. Macdonald had a committee of advisers when he built National as well, but I don't think it was a democracy."

Ken
www.MortonGolfSales.com
GolfWrx Sponsor

Looks great. I have been wanting to visit there soon, but since Ken let the cat out of the bag about the 4th course, I'll think I will wait a bit longer and play all four, then drive down to Cali and play Presidio, the Black Horse, Bayonet and harding Park before heading home!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)