All Things Ohio Golf

hazebronso

[quote name='break80consistently' timestamp='1324684169' post='3981201']
[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1324678084' post='3980875']
[quote name='break80consistently' timestamp='1324669013' post='3980447']
You have a pretty good list there. I have played 7 of them (in order of my favorites): Fowlers, Good Park, Turkeyfoot, Ellsworth, Shale Creek, Blue Heron and Loyal Oak. I would skip Loyal Oak (Loyal Joke) and skip Blue Heron because the conditions are suffering as a result of them running low on money (so I've been told). Fowlers is a clear #1 IMO and Good Park, Turkeyfoot and Ellsworth are all very good. Shale Creek is okay, but overrated IMO. I heard conditions at Shaker Run are not very good anymore.

My NE Ohio Playlist for 2012 is Quarry, Boulder, Avalon Lakes, Eagle Creek, Sanctuary, Firestone Farms and Kennsington. That would allow me to complete the top 20 at GolfClevelandOhio.com - 13 down, 7 to go. By the way, GCO is a great website and usually very accurate with their ratings.

[url="http://golfclevelandohio.com/G2003-main.htm"]http://golfcleveland.../G2003-main.htm[/url]
[/quote]
The only reason Loyal Oak is on the list is because it's within 30 minutes of my house and I'm trying to play every public course(and privates' that I can find a way to get on to) within that distance from me.

I was out at The Sanctuary yesterday hitting some balls around. I just took my 7 Iron and 9 Iron out and played a few holes up to the green. Nice course. I've played there many times. Let me know if you want to play it sometime next season and I'd gladly join ya.
[/quote]
That sounds good. I will let you know if I ever make it down there. That is over an hour from my house on the west side of Cleveland, but I hope to play it in 2012. You have some solid courses down in your neck of the woods. What other courses have you played near North Canton that you like?

Have you ever played Rawiga? They just went public a few years and it is a very nice course. Also, Hawks Nest is a pretty good course. Both those course are in the Seville/Creston area, so about 35 miles from North Canton.
[/quote]Ok sweet. My favorites around here are probably The Sanctuary GC, Mayfair CC, Sable Creek GC , Raintree CC, and Seven Hills CC. I've still yet to play The Quarry which is killing me! :shout: Next year in the Ohio Outing it will be my first time playing there.

Never been to Rawiga and I've heard alot of good things about Hawks Nest. Never played either though. This year was my third year playing so I haven't had much exposure to courses except those within about a half hour of here. 22 of the 26 courses I've played are within a half hour of me. I'm gonna make that change next year. ;)

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1324688244' post='3981399']
You have a pretty good list there. I have played 7 of them (in order of my favorites): Fowlers, Good Park, Turkeyfoot, Ellsworth, Shale Creek, Blue Heron and Loyal Oak. I would skip Loyal Oak (Loyal Joke) and skip Blue Heron because the conditions are suffering as a result of them running low on money (so I've been told). Fowlers is a clear #1 IMO and Good Park, Turkeyfoot and Ellsworth are all very good. Shale Creek is okay, but overrated IMO. I heard conditions at Shaker Run are not very good anymore.

My NE Ohio Playlist for 2012 is Quarry, Boulder, Avalon Lakes, Eagle Creek, Sanctuary, Firestone Farms and Kennsington. That would allow me to complete the top 20 at GolfClevelandOhio.com - 13 down, 7 to go. By the way, GCO is a great website and usually very accurate with their ratings.

[url="http://golfclevelandohio.com/G2003-main.htm"]http://golfcleveland.../G2003-main.htm[/url]
[/quote]
The only reason Loyal Oak is on the list is because it's within 30 minutes of my house and I'm trying to play every public course(and privates' that I can find a way to get on to) within that distance from me.

I was out at The Sanctuary yesterday hitting some balls around. I just took my 7 Iron and 9 Iron out and played a few holes up to the green. Nice course. I've played there many times. Let me know if you want to play it sometime next season and I'd gladly join ya.
[/quote]
That sounds good. I will let you know if I ever make it down there. That is over an hour from my house on the west side of Cleveland, but I hope to play it in 2012. You have some solid courses down in your neck of the woods. What other courses have you played near North Canton that you like?

Have you ever played Rawiga? They just went public a few years and it is a very nice course. Also, Hawks Nest is a pretty good course. Both those course are in the Seville/Creston area, so about 35 miles from North Canton.
[/quote]Ok sweet. My favorites around here are probably The Sanctuary GC, Mayfair CC, Sable Creek GC , Raintree CC, and Seven Hills CC. I've still yet to play The Quarry which is killing me! :shout: Next year in the Ohio Outing it will be my first time playing there.

Never been to Rawiga and I've heard alot of good things about Hawks Nest. Never played either though. This year was my third year playing so I haven't had much exposure to courses except those within about a half hour of here. 22 of the 26 courses I've played are within a half hour of me. I'm gonna make that change next year. ;)
[/quote]

Have you played Oak Shadows yet? [url="http://www.oakshadowsgolf.com/index.htm"]http://www.oakshadowsgolf.com/index.htm[/url]

[url="http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=&q=1063+oak+shadows,+new+philadelphia+ohio&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x8836e49ddcce5009:0x392cf7c367b3a7a9,1063+Oak+Shadows+Dr+NE,+New+Philadelphia,+OH+44663&gl=us&ei=EXj4TuTCD6Ps0gH4vdmpAg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCQQ8gEwAA"]http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=&q=1063+oak+shadows,+new+philadelphia+ohio&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x8836e49ddcce5009:0x392cf7c367b3a7a9,1063+Oak+Shadows+Dr+NE,+New+Philadelphia,+OH+44663&gl=us&ei=EXj4TuTCD6Ps0gH4vdmpAg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCQQ8gEwAA[/url]

I don't hear to many people talk about it but when I played it 2 years ago it was an awesome track. If you like elevation changes on your course than you will want to check it out!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1324757654' post='3984129']
break80-Do you know anything about the Golf Cleveland Ohio Golf League? I'm thinking about getting in for the 2012 season but am trying to find someone who knows about it...
[/quote]
I don't know anything about it, other than what it says on the website.

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1324906673' post='3988443']
[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1324688244' post='3981399']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Have you played Oak Shadows yet? [url="http://www.oakshadowsgolf.com/index.htm"]http://www.oakshadow...f.com/index.htm[/url]

[url="http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=&q=1063+oak+shadows,+new+philadelphia+ohio&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x8836e49ddcce5009:0x392cf7c367b3a7a9,1063+Oak+Shadows+Dr+NE,+New+Philadelphia,+OH+44663&gl=us&ei=EXj4TuTCD6Ps0gH4vdmpAg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCQQ8gEwAA"]http://maps.google.c...ved=0CCQQ8gEwAA[/url]

I don't hear to many people talk about it but when I played it 2 years ago it was an awesome track. If you like elevation changes on your course than you will want to check it out!
[/quote]
I have never played Oak Shadows, but met the owner at the Cleveland Golf Show last year. Seemed like a nice guy and sounds like a good course. A little bit further down the road is River Greens. They have 27 holes and it is a great course.

Loving this weather! I've gone out to the course and hit some balls the last four days! Not sure why, but the distances looked really long. 100 yards seemed like it was half a mile away and 150 seemed like it was a mile away. I could've believe it. I'm not sure why everything looked like it was so much farther than the yardage really is. I haven't played since October 11 but even the last few years after the whole winter break it never seemed like everything was farther than it actually was. Really weird. But on the bright side, I was really impressed with how well I was swinging it. My ballstriking hadn't missed a beat and it took a few balls to get my swing down and get the ball to do what I wanted it to but I came away the last few nights really pleased with my game. I'm thinking about actually playing tomorrow but I really don't feel like getting my bag out and getting them all dirty and then back in storage for the next three months.

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1324952772' post='3990623']
Loving this weather! I've gone out to the course and hit some balls the last four days! Not sure why, but the distances looked really long. 100 yards seemed like it was half a mile away and 150 seemed like it was a mile away. I could've believe it. I'm not sure why everything looked like it was so much farther than the yardage really is. I haven't played since October 11 but even the last few years after the whole winter break it never seemed like everything was farther than it actually was. Really weird. But on the bright side, I was really impressed with how well I was swinging it. My ballstriking hadn't missed a beat and it took a few balls to get my swing down and get the ball to do what I wanted it to but I came away the last few nights really pleased with my game. I'm thinking about actually playing tomorrow but I really don't feel like getting my bag out and getting them all dirty and then back in storage for the next three months.
[/quote]

haha i hit balls a few days before xmas and thought the same thing... distances look super far away and i cant really follow the ball off the club face... there was a green about a 100 out and i pulled a PW (150 ys club) and took a full swing at it.... obviously i flew it then realized it was more like a 3/4 50 degree out lol..... it was weird, but obviously its great to be able to get out and hit balls and not be under a heater....

I type this as im at my parents place in Mi on a ski trip... woke up this morning and its 5 degress.... hence why I'm not skiing

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Going to Cincy this weekend for New Years...

Thursday-48° Partly Cloudy
Friday-50° Sunny
Saturday-46° Sunny
Sunday-52° Rainy

...bringing the sticks for sure! Any Cincy folk know of any courses that would be open? I'll be in Loveland(NE suberb of Cincy). The only course I've played down there is Hickory Woods. I played there last summer.

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1325125841' post='3999083']

Friday-50° Sunny
Saturday-46° Sunny
Sunday-52° Rainy

...bringing the sticks for sure! Any Cincy folk know of any courses that would be open? I'll be in Loveland(NE suberb of Cincy). The only course I've played down there is Hickory Woods. I played there last summer.
[/quote]
I was visiting family in Cincy for Christmas and played the front 9 at Sharon Woods on Monday afternoon, 12/26. It was a high of about 44 degrees, but there were about 30-50 players on the course. Walking rate for 9 was $12. The course is about 15 minutes from Loveland.

I would also recommend Glenview, Blue Ash, Beckett Ridge, Grizzly at Kings Island and The Vineyard. Of those, I have played Glenview, Blue Ash and Beckett, and have heard the other two are nice. Glenview is owned by the City and hosted the USGA Publinx back in the 80's, Blue Ash was once ranked top 75 public course in the country, Beckett Ridge is a Jack Kidwell design that went public a few years ago, The Grizzly used to host the Senior Tour in the 90's and Vineyard is supposed to be the nicest of the Hamilton County Park District courses (with Sharon Woods #2).

[quote name='break80consistently' timestamp='1325186311' post='4001643']
[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1325125841' post='3999083']

Friday-50° Sunny
Saturday-46° Sunny
Sunday-52° Rainy

[/quote]
I was visiting family in Cincy for Christmas and played the front 9 at Sharon Woods on Monday afternoon, 12/26. It was a high of about 44 degrees, but there were about 30-50 players on the course. Walking rate for 9 was $12. The course is about 15 minutes from Loveland.

I would also recommend Glenview, Blue Ash, Beckett Ridge, Grizzly at Kings Island and The Vineyard. Of those, I have played Glenview, Blue Ash and Beckett, and have heard the other two are nice. Glenview is owned by the City and hosted the USGA Publinx back in the 80's, Blue Ash was once ranked top 75 public course in the country, Beckett Ridge is a Jack Kidwell design that went public a few years ago, The Grizzly used to host the Senior Tour in the 90's and Vineyard is supposed to be the nicest of the Hamilton County Park District courses (with Sharon Woods #2).
[/quote]
Thanks man. I think I'll go with Sharon Woods. Looks like a pretty solid course to get a winter round in for a good price. How was it when you played it? Good conditions for this time of year?

I ended up playing Sharon Woods on Friday and Eagles Nest on Saturday. Sharon Woods was in really good condition for this time of year. It was wet, but the course looked good. The greens were FANTASTIC! I couldn't believe how nice they were for it being December 30th in Ohio. Very fun course with alot of cool holes. I loved that downhill Par 3(#8). I went in the front right bunker and couldn't get up and down so I took the bogey. I shot an 88 there.

Eagles Nest was alright. It was absolutely SOAKED but I enjoyed the round. Short course(about 6,100 yards from the tips) but it played alot longer with how wet it was. Had alot of really fun holes. I shot an 85 but had it been in the middle of summer, I think that might've been the place that I finally broke into the 70's.

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1325551321' post='4019461']
I ended up playing Sharon Woods on Friday and Eagles Nest on Saturday. Sharon Woods was in really good condition for this time of year. It was wet, but the course looked good. The greens were FANTASTIC! I couldn't believe how nice they were for it being December 30th in Ohio. Very fun course with alot of cool holes. I loved that downhill Par 3(#8). I went in the front right bunker and couldn't get up and down so I took the bogey. I shot an 88 there.

Eagles Nest was alright. It was absolutely SOAKED but I enjoyed the round. Short course(about 6,100 yards from the tips) but it played alot longer with how wet it was. Had alot of really fun holes. I shot an 85 but had it been in the middle of summer, I think that might've been the place that I finally broke into the 70's.
[/quote]

I think there was a lot of that weather on the east coast on Friday and Saturday. Friday was beautiful and Saturday was fantastic. if we hadn't already had plans on going out to buy a new TV on Saturday, I would have at least gone and hit balls.

But I needed to get it bought and home and hooked up intime for sundays games and the Bowl Games on Monday.

Alas it looks like winter hit full force this morning we had wind chills into the teens.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

The rehab on my shoulder is going very well. I can actually swing a club right now but not at full speed yet. My therapist says I am a couple weeks ahead of schedule so I am hoping I can go hit the Golf Dome in about 4-5 weeks. I picked up a couple new drivers I want to try out and I am also getting cabin fever!!!!! Anyone have interest in meeting me up there early next month?

Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1325880631' post='4038217']
54°. Unbelievable! Part of me just wants to it to get cold and start snowing so it doesn't eat away at spring, but part of me wants this weather a little longer so I can keep getting out to the course and whackin' some balls around.
[/quote]

If tomorrow were supposed to be as warm as today I am sure alot of places would be open. But it's only supposed to be round 42.

Joe, whenever you are ready to hit the dome, just pm me.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I played yesterday and today at Big Met. There might have been 80-100 players there on Saturday, you would have thought it was the frigging 4th of July! That place is always busy. It was a little bit colder today, so there were less players, but they still had at least 40. Always nice to know there are other golf nuts out there like me and others on this board.

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1325551321' post='4019461']

[/quote]
Glad you enjoyed Sharon Woods and agree with you that the greens were in fantastic shape for late December. When I played two weeks ago, it was my first time playing the course in at least 10 years. I played it a few times as a kid and forgot how good some of those holes on the front 9 are. #3 is always mentioned as one of the toughest par 4's in Cincinnati, as it is 470 and the last 200 yards are all uphill. #4 is also a brute of a par 4 at 450 yards, and those two holes make for great back to back par 4s. You almost have to think of #3 as a short par 5 and try to make "birdie." Also, #7 is a really good par 4 and like you said #8 is a fun downhill par 3. #9 is just a ridiculous par 5, only 520 yards, but uphill the entire way. It probably plays like a 560+ yard hole. I don't remember the back 9 at all.

I have never played Eagles Nest, but glad you had a good round and good luck with quest of breaking 80. As my handle suggests, my goal every time I tee it up is to break 80. 2011 was a good year of golf for me and I probably achieved my goal about 30% of the time, but I am trying to get that number above 50% in 2012.

break80-Do you know anything about the Golf Cleveland Ohio Golf League? I'm thinking about getting in for the 2012 season but am trying to find someone who knows about it...
[/quote]

I don't know much about it, but I was just accepted into the league! I have been wanting to get into something a little more competitive and this league looks good. The course is supposed to be awesome and it looks like there are some good golfers. Sounds like fun to me!!!!!!

Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*

Hey, OhIo guys....stay tuned for a big announcement coming in the,,,groups, tourneys, partner matching forum. Maybe up tomorrow, but definitely by the 15th. Your friend from Michigan...OW

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1326121562' post='4050015']
[/quote]

I don't know much about it, but I was just accepted into the league! I have been wanting to get into something a little more competitive and this league looks good. The course is supposed to be awesome and it looks like there are some good golfers. Sounds like fun to me!!!!!!
[/quote]
Congrats man! I'm still debating whether or not to apply. And Shale Creek is a good 45 min away, plus after baseball I need to find a job so I'm not sure what kind of work schefule I'll be looking at.

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1326305937' post='4065895']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Congrats man! I'm still debating whether or not to apply. And Shale Creek is a good 45 min away, plus after baseball I need to find a job so I'm not sure what kind of work schefule I'll be looking at.
[/quote]

It is going to be tough getting there on time every week but I should be able to leave early from work and sometimes we actually work in Medina so I should be able to leave right from there on those days. It seems like a really nice league and fairly competitive. I really like the format with the 4 18 hole majors at different courses and Shale creek looks great. The league I was on last year we had several guys shooting in the high 50's. and had to deal with a few cheaters as well! Plus my partner from last year texted me today and said his old partner wanted to play again and he couldn't tell him no. So I guess I needed to find a new league any way!

Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1326308486' post='4066191']
[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1326305937' post='4065895']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

It is going to be tough getting there on time every week but I should be able to leave early from work and sometimes we actually work in Medina so I should be able to leave right from there on those days. It seems like a really nice league and fairly competitive. I really like the format with the 4 18 hole majors at different courses and Shale creek looks great. The league I was on last year we had several guys shooting in the high 50's. and had to deal with a few cheaters as well! Plus my partner from last year texted me today and said his old partner wanted to play again and he couldn't tell him no. So I guess I needed to find a new league any way!
[/quote]
Yea, it looks like a great league. Shale Creek and The Quarry are both owned by Granite Golf Properties and both are ranked in the Top 15 Public Golf Courses in Ohio. Shale is #13 and The Quarry is #4. They also own Medina CC as well which and all three courses are terrific...or so I've heard...;)

Hey, Ohio guys. Check the Groups, Tourneys, Partner Matching forum for the [b]Battle Royal 2012 [/b]announcement post. Sure you guys will want a chance to try and kick some Michigan Butt after the football drubbings this year. LOL, Jk. Fact is, we'll prolly be teammates on a regional team.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

For those of you going to the Golf Dome this winter, they are currently running a Groupon special. You have to purchase the deal within the next 36 hours (by midnight on Saturday). Here are the details:

$9 - 1 hour of Dome time ($18 value)
$14 - 1 hour of simulator time ($28 value)

If you have never used Groupon before, please sign up using the link below and I will get a $10 referal bonus. Let me know if you do this and I will buy you a beer at our outing this summer or next time I see you. DaSportsGuy, since you are not 21, I will buy you a root beer or some Laser Tag.

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu1338078

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1326747452' post='4094551']
46° tomorrow!? I just might be getting out to the course! :partytime2:

[/quote]

Have fun with that!!!!! I am getting too old and there is no way i could get my body loose enough to play. I got both shoulders aching now that the weather has turned! I thought I was almost ready for the dome but I think i am still a couple weeks away from feeling good enough for that. I guess I should shouldn't rush things since there is really no need to. I am just hoping this surgery hasn't messed up my game. I was playing really well before I shut it down for the year!

Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1326763462' post='4096221']
[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1326747452' post='4094551']
46° tomorrow!? I just might be getting out to the course! :partytime2:

[/quote]

Have fun with that!!!!! I am getting too old and there is no way i could get my body loose enough to play. I got both shoulders aching now that the weather has turned! I thought I was almost ready for the dome but I think i am still a couple weeks away from feeling good enough for that. I guess I should shouldn't rush things since there is really no need to. I am just hoping this surgery hasn't messed up my game. I was playing really well before I shut it down for the year!
[/quote]
Haha, I've never been a fan of winter golf until this season. My first two years playing as soon as it snowed I was done. Idk...maybe I am just more into it since I finally feel like I've got my new swing down and am finally getting off the tee well enough to score really well.

Just make sure you're good and ready for the outing next summer so Kymar and I don't beat ya too bad...:D

On serious note though, don't rush it. It's better to take the time off now in the offseason than try to come back to early and re-injure it going into next season.