2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Taking my P.A.T. tomorrow...

Teetogreen86

Any last minute advice?
I'm taking my PAT tomorrow at Kissimmee Golf Club and I'm just looking for any last minute advice. The course is pretty narrow and quirky. I played the front 9 there earlier this week. Seems pretty simple. Just looking for some advice from guys that have taken their PAT or that know guys who have. I'm not taking a caddy. I don't want to complicate things anymore than they need to be. How short is the break between rounds? I heard 15-20 minutes max.

Thanks
Kyle :beach:

[b]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/b]

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst possible thing that you can do is panic at the PAT. The target score is not a hidden secret and if you get off to a bad start i.e. double bogey then you think, oh my god, I have 35 more holes to play in 10 over. My advice would be as follows: if you are an aggressive player, stay aggressive, go for the par 5's, go for the driveable par 4's. If you are a conservative player, lay up. I am not a big fan of changing someone's natural instinct just to shoot a target score. Keep it simple. As far as the break between rounds, it's not long. Another piece of advice is wear pants, when I took mine, I forgot to wear pants (I was in high school at the time) and I had to wear Gore Tex rainpants, in Georgia in July. Not fun. Passed, but was not too far from dying. Good luck and play well. If you pass welcome to the family.

The worst possible thing that you can do is panic at the PAT. The target score is not a hidden secret and if you get off to a bad start i.e. double bogey then you think, oh my god, I have 35 more holes to play in 10 over. My advice would be as follows: if you are an aggressive player, stay aggressive, go for the par 5's, go for the driveable par 4's. If you are a conservative player, lay up. I am not a big fan of changing someone's natural instinct just to shoot a target score. Keep it simple. As far as the break between rounds, it's not long. Another piece of advice is wear pants, when I took mine, I forgot to wear pants (I was in high school at the time) and I had to wear Gore Tex rainpants, in Georgia in July. Not fun. Passed, but was not too far from dying. Good luck and play well. If you pass welcome to the family.

Thanks Ryan. Target score should be around 155. I'm usually not aggressive off the tee, but I do have a tendency to aim for a lot of flagsticks. The greens are really small at this course so you have to be aggressive. They made it very clear to wear pants and I will be sure to. I can't imagine wearing rain pants for 36 holes during July in Georgia :beach: . Weather is supposed to be 89°, sunny and breezy tomorrow here in Florida.

logistically, remember to keep drinking water...36 holes will pull it out of you. I know you don't want a caddy, that's cool, but they are very helpful on such a long day...maybe bring a brother or friend along to caddy? Even if they don't play, it'll help having them carry you bag, clean you stuff, and keep your mind occupied between the 5 minutes between shots.

good luck, you'll be fine.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Ventus Black TR 6x

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 340 mini 13.5* Speeder 757 x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* LIN-Q M40X Blue

Wilson D9 4h KBS 80 

Callaway Apex 24 MB 6 to 11 iron, MMT 105 TX

Callaway Jaws 54/58/64 KBS 130

Edel EAS 1.0 custom

Wilson Staff Model Ball

logistically, remember to keep drinking water...36 holes will pull it out of you. I know you don't want a caddy, that's cool, but they are very helpful on such a long day...maybe bring a brother or friend along to caddy? Even if they don't play, it'll help having them carry you bag, clean you stuff, and keep your mind occupied between the 5 minutes between shots.

good luck, you'll be fine.

We have to ride which kinda sucks. If we were walking I'd most definetely have a caddy. I've played 36 holes a few times over the past few weeks and drank plenty of water and stocked up on energy bars. All in all I was a little tired after 36 but it wasn't too bad. I've got plenty of water bottles in the freezer as we speak ready to go for tomorrow.

i know two guys that just took the PAT at Concordia in NJ (http://www.concordiagolf.com/). They played 36 the day before and said the greens were completely different the day of the actual test (not watered, cut and pressed the morning of). I would expect fast greens to offset playing from the whites with medium pin placements. 5 out of 42 passed but i heard quite a few of them shouldn't have even been taking it. both my friends didn't pass (course rating of 69) - one missed by 1 (73/81), the other by quite a few due to his putting (87/87).

best of luck!

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

i took the PAT earlier this year, and just remember to play to win. Don't change the way you play because there is a target score, just play how you play. All the tees are set up at the mark, and all the pins are in the middle of the green, so you can fire away. Also, they don't switch pins the second round, so you'll know where to leave yourself. The best advice i can give is, HAVE FUN!!

mike

Honestly there is no secret to taking the PAT. I was fortunate took it once with a target score of 153 and shot 139 or 140 so I was never in jeopardy. That said warming up before the round most of the guys were gacking on themselves pretty bad. You need to remember it's going to be a long day so be patient. Also remember you are not competing against the field so don't worry about what anyone else is doing.

I think most people look at the target scores and think the PAT is a piece of cake. These are usually the people who aren't near as good as they think they are. I don't know your game so give it an honest evaluation. If you think that the number could be a problem for you then play smart and eliminate the big number. If you are confident that you are a good enough player to pass easily then go out and fire at flags.

Just play your game and you will be fine. If you have any questions about it feel free to pm me.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm feeling pretty good about my game right now. Only problem could be that my left wrist is bothering me from a little accident at work yesterday but hopefully it'll be fine. I've been playing decent recently. I'm going to hit a few balls, practice the short game, and play a quick 9 tonight and then head to bed early.

I talked to the rangers when I played there and they said that they always put the tees right on the white markers which is only 6015 yards I think.

If I were to suggest something to you, I would tell you take it one shot at a time. You're going to have some rough holes, so don't worry about it. Forget about the past and think about the next shot at hand. I took my PAT this summer for the CPGA, and this definately works. Don't worry about making a bogey because they're going to happen. I didn't really worry about anything, and then I ended up signing my scorecard for a 144 total. You'll do just fine! Best of luck.

Hit the fairways. Tight courses generally don't have difficult approach shots if you are in the fairway, so as long as your approach is under 200, you should like your chances. Your luck usually comes in on the greens. Just don't play stupid and you'll pass. Remember it's a PASS OR FAIL 36 holes, so don't go out there to light it up even if you got it tommorow. Fairways, greens, 2 putt. Eliminate 3 putts, out of bounds, water hazards, and you'll pass.

Good luck!

Alright boys and girls, I passed my PAT today. I shot 146(38-36-36-36) with a target score of 155. The course was extremely short, but it was narrow and the rough was really nasty which suprised me. And not to mention the wind picked up considerably on the second 18. I putted like a tool from outside of 10 feet, but didn't miss a putt inside 6 feet. The key was having no doubles and one three putt. I eliminated the blowup hole. I missed medalist by one shot but I am just happy to have passed. Thanks to everyone for their well wishes and advice!

Kyle :beach:

Sorry to sound like an idiot but what does P.A.T. stand for

Congrats Kyle :beach:

Here's what is says on the PGA's website...

Playing Ability Test

The Playing Ability Test (PAT) is one of the first steps in becoming a PGA Professional. One of the following must be completed within two years prior to registering into the PGA Professional Golf Management Program:

* Pass the 36-hole PAT. Click here for PAT Schedule.

* Attempt the PAT at least twice within two years since 1/1/2003 and shoot one 18-hole score that is equal to or less than the PAT target score for 18 holes plus 5 strokes. Click here for target score information.

Passing the PAT is achieved by scoring equal to or less than the PAT target score. The Target score is determined by multiplying the USGA course rating by two and then adding 15 strokes.

The PAT is conducted from the middle tees of the golf course with the flagsticks set on a generally flat area of the green. Although this sounds relatively simple, less than 20-percent of those taking the test achieve a passing score. If your game is marginal, it is highly recommended that you work diligently on improving your game prior to registering for the PAT.

Way to go Kyle, glad to hear you kicked arsel and took names. :beach:

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Congrats.......most don't pass it their first time though. Now you can officially enter professional sectioned tourneys. It will cost you some cash, but if you want some serious competition and want to meet some other PGM members, this is a good way to do it. Ask your pro about the paper work to get into the tournaments.

Congrats!! Great job.. Passed min last mont and shot 150 :beach:

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Congrats Kyle! (cool)

It wasn't even close, passed by a bunch and was almost medalist. And you were worried!

What are you doing to celebrate?

Ordered some pizza and crashed. I was beat. :beach:

Thanks again to everyone. I really appreciate the support! :cheesy: