2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

judging players by their bags

MtlJeff

Player or Poser?

Poser.

Real Red Sox fans would have a larger head cover and have some drop kick playing in the background........

Unless you meant the bag. Somewhere in between I'd guess.

I only see one headcover. Leads me to believe that you either hit the piss out of the ball, or it's a 3 wood of some sort (struggle off the tee).

It's hard being a transplanted Boston boy here in Virginia during the NFL & MLB seasons. ;)

It's a TM 580 10.5 stock stiff driver. I can till put it out there at 59, and it's almost stupid easy to hit off the deck. I will be adding a Cobra 20* hybrid if I ever find the right shaft for it. Been really struggling with the 3W since coming back to the game 5 months ago.

Player or Poser?

Player! Jones Players bag that is. Ha. I'll stick with player, but old school. Like 50 years old and a 8 hcp. Nice set up!

59 years old. Just dumped a set of G15's even though I am struggling right now. Played to a 7-8 before quitting the game 5 years ago. It's slowly coming back though. You know how golf is....2 steps forward and 1 step back.

Player or Poser?

Hellooooo fellow DCI user!

I had a set of 962B's in the bag 2-3 weeks ago. Stole em from my friends clubmaking shop out his garage when he was at work. He chased me around for 2 weeks before he got them back. ;) He pointed me to the 990's off Ebay that were going almost stupid cheap.... $95.00 They are darn near mint with brand new wrap grips.

I'm terrible at judging players by their bag so will leave it to someone better than me.

Feel free to judge me...

If you're set, you're set I guess. But I'm guessing a lot of people would be out by Summer.

Anyway, here is mine:

Nike Vapor Fly Blackout Driver. 11.5 loft.

Nike Vapor Flex 3 Wood. 17 loft.

Nike Vapor Flex 3 Hybrid. 21 loft.

Nike Vapor Fly 4i-9i

Nike Vapor Fly PW, AW & SW.

Nike Engage Wedge. 60 loft.

Random balls for now but mostly Nike.

Nike Vapor 14 slot carry bag.

Tiger fan? ;)

I'm terrible at judging players by their bag so will leave it to someone better than me.

Feel free to judge me...

If you're set, you're set I guess. But I'm guessing a lot of people would be out by Summer.

Anyway, here is mine:

Nike Vapor Fly 4i-9i

Tiger fan? ;)

Younger golfer. Late 20s or 30s. Fan of either Tiger or most likely Rory.

In the bag (for now)

[color=#ff8c00]PIng G (Bubba Pink)[/color]
Taylormade M2 4 iron
Maxfli A 10 Tour limited 4- PW
Cleveland Rotex 2.0 Cb 50, 56, 60
[color=#ff0000]Scotty Cameron Circle T Golo[/color]

Player or Poser?

Hellooooo fellow DCI user!

I had a set of 962B's in the bag 2-3 weeks ago. Stole em from my friends clubmaking shop out his garage when he was at work. He chased me around for 2 weeks before he got them back. ;) He pointed me to the 990's off Ebay that were going almost stupid cheap.... $95.00 They are darn near mint with brand new wrap grips.

Picked up the DCI 981s I'm gaming about two months ago off ebay for $79. No wear marks and still have the original wrap grips in great condition. These things are going to see more action this year than I think they have in their last 20 years of existence!

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

I feel like being judged today.

Driver: Taylormade M1 w/ Graphite Design AD BB 6X

3-Wood: Taylormade M2/ Graphite Design AD DI 7X

Hybrid: PXG 0311 3i w/ Project X Hzrdus 85 6.5

3-PW: Mizuno JPX900 Tour w/ Nippon NS Pro Super Peening Blue S

Wedges: Nike Engage 52 Square/56 Toe Sweep/60 Dual Sole

Putter: Nike Rory Prototype 006

Bag: Nike Platinum Staff Bag

Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred X or Nike Rzn Tour Platinum

This will be my first review on this thread, so I am not an expert bag judger. Seems like fun though so here goes.

First of all you are a regular Kool-Aid drinker. You like fruit punch, blue raspberry, but your favorite is Nike. You actually believed the Tiger and Rory commercials.

Next you follow the PGA tour equipment WITB's and you read Golf WRX regularly. This is evident by the M1 woods. You switched to these woods immediately after Tiger teed it up at the Hero World Challenge.

You played Mizuno irons as a younger golfer, and while you did try your best to make the Vapor Pro's work you eventually went back to what you knew.

The PXG 3 iron is really just there as a symbol that you could afford a full set of PXG's if you wanted them, but you don't feel comfortable gaming an entire set of them without getting the staff bag. You would like to do this, but if you switch away from your Nike staff bag now, you would be admitting to the golfing world that Nike really wasn't that great, and you think you should wait another season before you do.

All that being said, I do think you are actually a pretty good player. I would definitely want to play with you a couple times before asking for a $20 Nassau.

PING G400 Max 

PING G400 3 wood

Still Searching for something in between

PING S55 4-PW

Vokey 50, 56, 60

Odyssey AI ONE Milled #1

Pro V1

Well I'd be leery of you right off the bat carrying 15 clubs in your bag, haha. In all seriousness, you're a hard one to pin down. Nothing out of the ordinary with the driver or 3 wood, but you seem like someone that's up on the latest technology and like to upgrade at least one club each year, a "tinkerer" if you will. Someone that is always looking for that extra edge in equipment.

The PXG again strengthens my case on someone that's up to date on the latest gear as a good portion of the golfers we see on our courses have no idea what PXG even is. Given you carry a hybrid and a 3-iron, I'm guessing you hit the hybrid a helluva lot better than the 3 iron and you're only using the 3-iron for punch shots.

I think that people that play Mizuno irons tend to be better players, much like the PXG player, b/c most casual fans don't even consider them since they don't get a ton of TV advertising during the PGA tournaments.

The wedges are where I get very confused. I would have expected Vokey, Cleveland, Callaway, etc., something a bit more high end given the rest of your bag. I'm in the crowd that never gave Nike a fair chance after hitting their first set of woods they released (which were garbage IMO). Always deemed them a "step down" from the rest and I fully admit I could have been wrong on that front.

No real judgement on the putter given it's the Rory prototype. As for the bag, I tend to think that people rocking staff bags are better players and that seems to be supported given the rest of your bag.

I'd definitely be nervous to play you in a nassau, that's for sure!

Ok, guess it's my turn.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 w Fujikura Pro 63 shaft, stiff flex, 9.5 degree

3W: Exotics 15 degree CB5, Tour AD shaft, stiff flex

Irons - 3 through PW - Titleist 714 AP2s, S300 shafts, standard L/L/L

Wedges: 52/58/64 Vokey SM4's, black nickel finish

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna 2

Bag: Scotty Cameron Turbo Blue Ballistic

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Shoes: Ecco BIOM Hybrid 2 GTX

Roast away!

Well I'd be leery of you right off the bat carrying 15 clubs in your bag, haha. In all seriousness, you're a hard one to pin down. Nothing out of the ordinary with the driver or 3 wood, but you seem like someone that's up on the latest technology and like to upgrade at least one club each year, a "tinkerer" if you will. Someone that is always looking for that extra edge in equipment.

The PXG again strengthens my case on someone that's up to date on the latest gear as a good portion of the golfers we see on our courses have no idea what PXG even is. Given you carry a hybrid and a 3-iron, I'm guessing you hit the hybrid a helluva lot better than the 3 iron and you're only using the 3-iron for punch shots.

I think that people that play Mizuno irons tend to be better players, much like the PXG player, b/c most casual fans don't even consider them since they don't get a ton of TV advertising during the PGA tournaments.

The wedges are where I get very confused. I would have expected Vokey, Cleveland, Callaway, etc., something a bit more high end given the rest of your bag. I'm in the crowd that never gave Nike a fair chance after hitting their first set of woods they released (which were garbage IMO). Always deemed them a "step down" from the rest and I fully admit I could have been wrong on that front.

No real judgement on the putter given it's the Rory prototype. As for the bag, I tend to think that people rocking staff bags are better players and that seems to be supported given the rest of your bag.

I'd definitely be nervous to play you in a nassau, that's for sure!

Ok, guess it's my turn.

Roast away!

Haha oops...that's supposed to be a Mizuno 4-PW.....my mistake.

Tinkerer is spot on....and i'll correct your 1 club/year to 1 club/month that i upgrade :)

If you never gave Nike Engage wedges a chance, you're missing out. I could play any wedge out there, and it came down to Edel or Nike for me - and I went w/ Nike.

All in all not bad!

Ok, guess it's my turn.

Roast away!

Well let's see....you like Titleist? ;)

You have a decently high swing speed, albeit not a "wrx swing speed" of 130+ on a smooth one. You enjoy the feel and added launch of your driver and fairway shafts, and both load really well for you. Because the shafts help w/ launch - you're able to play a slightly low lofted driver and conventionally lofted 3-wood. I'd guess you get a consistent 275 out of your driver, and a consistent 240 out of your 3-wood.

The lack of a hybrid to fill the gap means you are confident with your 3-iron. AP2's scream good player who also enjoys some forgiveness. Perhaps you don't get to practice as much as you used to, so a compact, good looking clubhead that still offers some assistance on mishits is the perfect crime.

Wedges are pretty spaced out at 6 degrees difference, so you must have solid distance control. Playing a 64 also tells me you have a bit of a creative touch around the greens. I'd guess wedges are a strong part of your game - as you still play your trusty SM4's - while most Titleist fans have moved along to SM5's and SM6's.

The putter and bag are where we start to move into some money and get my attention. Nothing says "I have money, but don't need to flaunt it" like a Scotty Cameron stand bag. To many, it's just a stand bag - but to those who know Scotty products....that's a solid $1,000+ bag! Much like wedges, you've got the touch, distance control, etc. down with your Laguna 2 - so you see no need to upgrade and have to learn it all over again w/ the newest product.

I would've known you played ProV1x without you ever putting it down :)

And the shoes, well I had you for a FootJoy guy. Especially the new Pro SL's. But from a comfort standpoint it's tough to beat Ecco. And in Kansas those fairways can get pretty hard and dried out - so spikeless shoes just perform well for you.

Ok, guess it's my turn.

Roast away!

Well let's see....you like Titleist? ;)

You have a decently high swing speed, albeit not a "wrx swing speed" of 130+ on a smooth one. You enjoy the feel and added launch of your driver and fairway shafts, and both load really well for you. Because the shafts help w/ launch - you're able to play a slightly low lofted driver and conventionally lofted 3-wood. I'd guess you get a consistent 275 out of your driver, and a consistent 240 out of your 3-wood.

The lack of a hybrid to fill the gap means you are confident with your 3-iron. AP2's scream good player who also enjoys some forgiveness. Perhaps you don't get to practice as much as you used to, so a compact, good looking clubhead that still offers some assistance on mishits is the perfect crime.

Wedges are pretty spaced out at 6 degrees difference, so you must have solid distance control. Playing a 64 also tells me you have a bit of a creative touch around the greens. I'd guess wedges are a strong part of your game - as you still play your trusty SM4's - while most Titleist fans have moved along to SM5's and SM6's.

The putter and bag are where we start to move into some money and get my attention. Nothing says "I have money, but don't need to flaunt it" like a Scotty Cameron stand bag. To many, it's just a stand bag - but to those who know Scotty products....that's a solid $1,000+ bag! Much like wedges, you've got the touch, distance control, etc. down with your Laguna 2 - so you see no need to upgrade and have to learn it all over again w/ the newest product.

I would've known you played ProV1x without you ever putting it down :)

And the shoes, well I had you for a FootJoy guy. Especially the new Pro SL's. But from a comfort standpoint it's tough to beat Ecco. And in Kansas those fairways can get pretty hard and dried out - so spikeless shoes just perform well for you.

Damn, that's pretty spot on! Yes, definitely a Titleist fan boy here and will openly admit it haha. Those yardages on the woods are spot on too!

I would have considered upgrading to the SM5 or Sm6, but they eliminated the 64 degree and it's turned into my favorite club around the greens. The course I play has super fast greens so i like having something I can throw up in the air and land with little roll out.

Seriously, I must be a pretty easy book to read or you have a knack for this. Thanks for taking the time to give me your initial read!

Read it and rip it:

Ball: Wilson 50 Elite (Orange)

Glove: None

Putter: Founder's Club FC Milled 02 @ 34"

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 58 @ 12, RTX 52 @ 10

Irons: Mizuno JPX 800 HD GW - 7

Hybrid: Srixon Z 355 5 @ 26

Fairways: Adams Tight Lies (first generation) 9 @ 28, Ping G25 7 @ 21

Driver: Ping Anser 12 degree @ 12.5

All clubs in stiff, except wedges and putter

Read it and rip it:

Plays the Wilson 50 Elite and in orange so there's zero chance anyone will be caught playing his ball.

Doesn't wear a glove. If he plays cord grips then bravo, if he doesn't wear a glove and plays Winn W5 then :bad: .

Founders FC 02 "Milled"... Milled ? really?...

anyway a picture of the model putter is worth 1,000 words and these state otherwise...

s-l300.jpg

$_1.JPG

"real tomato ketchup, Eddie?" ~Clark Griswold.

Two RTX gen one in the bag, definitely a classy wedge choice... I would imagine they were both finally acquired when prices on them dropped to $69.99 somewhere.

Mizuno irons GW-7 in the "HD" frame size, boy I'm sure they make the 50 Elite dance.

Next we have a Srixon hybrid in a 5 iron loft. I guess the 6 iron gap isn't needed in all parts of Canada... but the hideous Adams 9w works into that slot just fine, I mean it has to, otherwise why on earth would he be carrying it.

An excellent choice in a PING fairway in G25 7w. I would venture to guess this club gives him the most joy of any club in the bag when purely struck off the deck.

And lastly the venerable PING Anser driver in 12 degree. Driver swing consistency is not an issue with this player otherwise this demanding driver would be out of the question. Did he stumble across this Anser somewhere, bought it, and it's just never left the bag? Only he knows. But with G30 LS Tec's circulating with more frequency in the "used" market the Anser's job may be in jeopardy.

Dog Flog, this was all in good fun, ok? btw I really like the picture of Jack, Lee, John and big Tom in your avatar.

Best golfing 2017 wishes to you sir. Come visit Arizona anytime, you'll find all your missing neighbors here during the winter.

K.L.P.

Mizuno MX500 driver (very old and at the end of its life I'm afraid)

TEE 13 degree 3 wood

Titleist 913. 3 wood (cranked up to 16.5 for use as 4-ish wood

Titleist 910 hybrid 21 degree

Titleist 914 CB's 4-PW

Scratch 50 degree gap (soon replaced by Cleveland black 50 degree)

Cleveland 56 degree sand wedge

Odyssey 9 (soon to have black shaft and Salty grip)

Sun Mountain Sync bag for my Sun Mountain Speed Cart

Mizuno MX-500 10.5* driver<br />Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 13 Degree 3 Wood(as mini-driver)<br />Titleist 910f 16.5* 3 Wood,<br />Titleist 714 CB 3-pw,<br />Scratch 50*DD wedge,<br />Cleveland 588 raw 56* wedge,<br />Odyssey #9 White Hot,<br />Snell My Tour Ball,<br />True Linkswear shoes(da bomb!)<br /><br />TAKE DEAD AIM - Harvey Penick

Read it and rip it:

Plays the Wilson 50 Elite and in orange so there's zero chance anyone will be caught playing his ball.

Doesn't wear a glove. If he plays cord grips then bravo, if he doesn't wear a glove and plays Winn W5 then :bad: .

Founders FC 02 "Milled"... Milled ? really?...

anyway a picture of the model putter is worth 1,000 words and these state otherwise...

s-l300.jpg

$_1.JPG

"real tomato ketchup, Eddie?" ~Clark Griswold.

Two RTX gen one in the bag, definitely a classy wedge choice... I would imagine they were both finally acquired when prices on them dropped to $69.99 somewhere.

Mizuno irons GW-7 in the "HD" frame size, boy I'm sure they make the 50 Elite dance.

Next we have a Srixon hybrid in a 5 iron loft. I guess the 6 iron gap isn't needed in all parts of Canada... but the hideous Adams 9w works into that slot just fine, I mean it has to, otherwise why on earth would he be carrying it.

An excellent choice in a PING fairway in G25 7w. I would venture to guess this club gives him the most joy of any club in the bag when purely struck off the deck.

And lastly the venerable PING Anser driver in 12 degree. Driver swing consistency is not an issue with this player otherwise this demanding driver would be out of the question. Did he stumble across this Anser somewhere, bought it, and it's just never left the bag? Only he knows. But with G30 LS Tec's circulating with more frequency in the "used" market the Anser's job may be in jeopardy.

Dog Flog, this was all in good fun, ok? btw I really like the picture of Jack, Lee, John and big Tom in your avatar.

Best golfing 2017 wishes to you sir. Come visit Arizona anytime, you'll find all your missing neighbors here during the winter.

K.L.P.

You're right about the orange ball. I've never faced the situation where my Wilson has been mistaken for someone else's orange ball. The reason I play it is because I find it to be the most visible colour. It's got a reasonably soft feel and spins enough that I can stop it quickly with an iron. As for the wedges, I did pick them up when the price dropped - to 100 bucks. If I lived in the States instead of the Great White North, they probably would've been around seventy at the time I got them. The putter is actually an 8802 clone. I like a heavy, simple looking putter and this fits the bill. Unlike most putters that are named 'milled' this one only has a milled face. The irons? You're right again. They won't make the 50's dance but they are high enough launching that my ball doesn't need so much spin to stop it on the well-watered greens on which I usually play. As far as the 9 wood goes, (around 180 with a solid strike) I'll just say that if pretty is as pretty does, this club is as handsome as it's buddy, the G25 7 wood. The Anser driver is a club that I've heard conflicting reports from different golfers, some call it demanding while others say it's pretty forgiving. I'm definitely in the latter camp and I don't find myself lusting after a friendlier beast. Thanks for your review, Kenny and enjoy your winter golf, ya rotten bastige. Just kidding, and very jealous!

I just joined a new club, and even though a lot of people say they don't care what others play....i gotta admit, i really do. I always look, and especially at the better players. I always have a peek at what they are playing and wonder what that says about them. For example it's not uncommon to see a low handicapper playing 5 year old wedges or a putter that looks like it's seen better days. There seems to be less "matching" in terms of full sets but some definite matching when it comes to individual segments, like fairways woods or wedges. Irons are always a total crapshoot but most of the low caps at my club seem to play irons that are at least 3-5 years old, showing that the guy has some degree of comfort level with them.

anyway, so what does your bag say about you? Anyone got any general comments on what they see?

I figure if someone looked at mine, they'd probably surmise i was pretty good if they put a little thought into it. I mean i clearly use a forgiving driver, 3 wood and irons, but the fact that i carry a 3 iron over a hybrid would probably be a bit of a hint, also the fact that i have more of a players club 9 iron through my wedges. My wedges are pretty beat up and i have a custom blade putter from a company most people won't have heard of which is probably another good sign. I like to think a junkie would look at my bag and guess that i was a good player who placed a high priority on keeping it in play, which is true

but i can also see how at first glance you could guess that i was a total hack aswell. Anyway....just for fun....what do you think your bag says about your game???

Theyd think I was a neat freak! I send my irons back to Ping every offseason to get refinished

See what you guys/gals think :

Driver : Callaway XR16 10.5 Fujikura XLR8 61 stiff

3 wood: Nike vapor fly w/diamana stiff

3h and 4h:Callaway Steelhead w/kuro kage black 80hyb stiff

5-AW: Mizuno Jpx 900 hot metal w/Nippon modus 120 stiff, D6 swingweight

Wedges: SM6 54/58 degree modus 120

Putter: Odyssey 2 ball fang counter balanced 38"

Ball: Bridgestone B330

Bag: Sun mountain four 5 stand bag

Feel free to judge me...

Anyway, here is mine:

Nike Vapor Fly 4i-9i

I can see we have a little Nike pull on the brand meter here. The kinda guy that looks for a swoosh in a bargain bin before looking at what other clubs are available first. More than likely have not been professionally fit since all one brand down to the bag, jacket, and hat.

You do have some nice gaping and what would seem to be a pretty solid setup for someone getting into the sport...so only started recently playing in the last year or 2.

My first at this...

Haven't been professionally fit, correct.

Started playing in last year or 2, correct.

Bargain bin looking, incorrect. Very hard to get golf clubs in Cyprus so all was bought from overseas. That's why no fitting.

Majority of clubs in bag were bought after August, so were in the sale.

I like them :smilie_nike:

Feel free to judge me...

Anyway, here is mine:

Nike Vapor Fly 4i-9i

Dude! Are you sponsored? Even your avatar is all swooshed. C'mon fess up now...... Nike undies too right? Nice!

Man you should request a W-9 from HQ and right that investment off as advertising!

I do wear the Nike Pro compression shorts actually :)

Feel free to judge me...

Anyway, here is mine:

Nike Vapor Fly 4i-9i

Tiger fan? ;)

Only got into golf in the last year or so, more of a Rory fan.

Feel free to judge me...

Anyway, here is mine:

Nike Vapor Fly 4i-9i

Tiger fan? ;)

Younger golfer. Late 20s or 30s. Fan of either Tiger or most likely Rory.

Early 30s, correct.

Not Tiger, Rory, correct

Specifics in my signature. Judge away!

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 Tour AD TP 7X

Taylormade SIM TI 15 Tour AD TP 8X

Taylormade QI10 3 Hybrid Tour AD DI 85S 
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Taylormade TP5X 2024

I read a few and this looks fun, I don't judge people due to their clubs but I do tend to look down on people who play pinnacle golf balls or that guy you get paired with that only plays balls he finds. Anyway here is my bag don't be gentle or I will judge you as a wimp.

Nike sq dymo str8 fit 9.5* stock x-stiff

Nike sq sumo 2h 18* that I put a steel shaft in from the 3i I had laying around

Nike ignite 3h 20* stock uniflex shaft (my favorite club in the bag)

Srixon z355 5-pw stock stiff

Cleveland 588 rtx 48* wedge flex

Nike sv 52* wedge flex

Cleveland 588 rtx 56* wedge flex

Callaway P.M. 64* wedge flex

Grips are Lamkin crossline black midsize

Heavy Putter h1

Academy Sports cart bag

Top Flight Gamer Tour (Q-Star if I don't feel like driving to Golf Galaxy)