GPS on Golf Courses

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used these for years. I switched from a GPS to a rangefinder a few years ago and I like the rangefinder much more: you don't have to program it (which with many GPS units costs additional $$ for each course or each year) and you can get the distance from where you are to anything in line-of-site. Yea, I have to admit that the GPS is better if you have to hit a blind shot (like over a hill).

The best Rangefinders I've used are made by Leopold.

SG5 GPS has a purpose, as does Bushnell's 1600 tournament laser. I have both and I don't love either. No, I don't concern myself with where to play based upon GPS. To the pin yardages of cart GPS are based upon the greens being divided up in to a number of areas, typically 6-7. The pin is moved every day inside of one of those areas. GPS reads to the middle of that area, not the pin. Reason I never pay any attention to them.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I almost feel naked if I'm without my GPS. It's most handy for me if I spray a drive (as I frequently do) and I'm pretty far left or right. Finding distance isn't hard from the fairway but if your like me and your 20-30-40? yards left or right it's nice to know the yardage.

Another good instance to have GPS is finding distances to hazards and distances to layups.

I have the original Callaway Upro GPS. It does every thing I want, has all the courses I've ever looked up and, now that they have went to free course downloads, I'm quite happy with this unit.

Thanks for the input, I suspected that most of you guys, being hardcore golfers, would have your own handheld or smartphone GPS units. I'm curious about the Cart mounted variety of GPS specifically. Any feelings strong feelings either way about this kind? Nole149, you mention that you love it, and it helps justify your membership, but do you really feel that you need it on a course in which you are member and play frequently?

Do you ever use the features like keeping score when you play a course that has GPS on the carts?

Of course the "cell phone app" is the best option for convenience, but there is not a single phone out there with these apps that can handle the battery drain. If you use the cell phone app, even with a well charged phone prior to your round, I will guarantee you have little to no power by the 15th hole...I have the iPhone. It would be great if not for this. As for GPS vs. laser; I'm not a very "shaky" guy, but with that said, I am not steady enough to find my target using the laser...it pissed me off quite honestly. I am a 10 handicap; I don't knock down pins, so a solid GPS unit (Skycaddie, UPro, whatever...) is more than adequate to put you within a yard or two of the pin. However, if you have the hands of a surgeon, then the laser is the way to go.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

[quote name='10of14' timestamp='1325299935' post='4007839']
Of course the "cell phone app" is the best option for convenience, but there is not a single phone out there with these apps that can handle the battery drain. If you use the cell phone app, even with a well charged phone prior to your round, I will guarantee you have little to no power by the 15th hole...I have the iPhone. It would be great if not for this. As for GPS vs. laser; I'm not a very "shaky" guy, but with that said, I am not steady enough to find my target using the laser...it pissed me off quite honestly. I am a 10 handicap; I don't knock down pins, so a solid GPS unit (Skycaddie, UPro, whatever...) is more than adequate to put you within a yard or two of the pin. However, if you have the hands of a surgeon, then the laser is the way to go.
[/quote]

I consistently finish a round with over 60% of my battery on my Iphone with Golfshot. You have to immediately hit the sleep button (upper right on top) once you are done with what you are doing. Don't let it just go to sleep on its own. You have to do it.

I've got the GolfLogix app on iPhone. Absolutely love it. Tracks stats too and the yardages I've found to be very accurate. Just played a new course today in Cincy and it was a huge help. Playing another new Cincy course tomorrow so I'll be relying on it alot again.

And about the battery drain mentioned above, all you've gotta do is get to your ball, give it a couple seconds to get an accurate yardage, take a look at trouble around the green, hit the shot, click the sleep button, and start over when you get to your ball. Like someone said above, I get done with my round with easily 50% of my battery left.

[quote name='djrossno2' timestamp='1325264034' post='4005507']
I'm betting this topic has been explored previously, but I am curious about everyone's impressions of GPS. Do you love it? Do you hate it? Do you play or don't play places because of it? Who has the best GPS systems of places you have played and what makes one better than another?
[/quote]

I assume by the way you've worded this, that you are talking about in-cart GPS systems provided by the golf course.

From my experience, they suck muchly and contribute to slow play. While I wouldn't necessarily avoid a course that has them, I certainly would not seek out a course just because it has them.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='djrossno2' timestamp='1325299618' post='4007813']
Thanks for the input, I suspected that most of you guys, being hardcore golfers, would have your own handheld or smartphone GPS units. I'm curious about the Cart mounted variety of GPS specifically. Any feelings strong feelings either way about this kind? Nole149, you mention that you love it, and it helps justify your membership, but do you really feel that you need it on a course in which you are member and play frequently?

Do you ever use the features like keeping score when you play a course that has GPS on the carts?
[/quote]

I like it because I don't have to go out and buy a GPS unit. And it gives the distance to hazards/traps etc. Really top quality equipment. And even though I play there regularly, golf is tough so every little free advantage within the rules helps.

When I visit courses without it, it just feels weird

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1326482353' post='4078457']
Hate them. Hate range finders too. Make every course get a great yardage book made (tour style) and I am one happy camper. I have a few tour books from courses and nothing is better.

Also I am plus minus 2 yards on a range finder with my eye sight so I have that going for me too. from 225 and in.
[/quote]

+1

Not a fan of the GPS and only use it on rare occasions, it's usually just to determine my accuracy from eyesight or if the yardage markers on the course are even close.

To me part of the skill of golf is actually determining yardages. People would be amazed with a little practice they don't need to rely on GPS or a rangefinder. That and some of the slowest players/groups seem to have GPS, rangefinders and every other gadget possible under the sun.

I'm also usually good at guessing withing a few yards too... it took some practice though.

[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1325511746' post='4016795']
[quote name='djrossno2' timestamp='1325264034' post='4005507']
I'm betting this topic has been explored previously, but I am curious about everyone's impressions of GPS. Do you love it? Do you hate it? Do you play or don't play places because of it? Who has the best GPS systems of places you have played and what makes one better than another?
[/quote]

I assume by the way you've worded this, that you are talking about in-cart GPS systems provided by the golf course.

From my experience, they suck muchly and contribute to slow play. While I wouldn't necessarily avoid a course that has them, I certainly would not seek out a course just because it has them.
[/quote]

I don't like them at all for getting distances, but I do like the ones that show you where all the other carts are on the course in real-time.

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1325302727' post='4008085']
I've got the GolfLogix app on iPhone. Absolutely love it. Tracks stats too and the yardages I've found to be very accurate. Just played a new course today in Cincy and it was a huge help. Playing another new Cincy course tomorrow so I'll be relying on it alot again.

And about the battery drain mentioned above, all you've gotta do is get to your ball, give it a couple seconds to get an accurate yardage, take a look at trouble around the green, hit the shot, click the sleep button, and start over when you get to your ball. Like someone said above, I get done with my round with easily 50% of my battery left.
[/quote]

I have GolfLogix for the Android on a Thunderbolt ... and as you've said, commonly have at least 50% battery left after a round. GPS apps do not really drain the battery that much ... on smart phones, it is always the screen that is by far the biggest user of juice (i.e., if someone loads no GPS app, but just walks a 4 or 5 hour round without the screen getting turned off, a lot of battery will still be gone). So you just turn off the screen between shots, and there's no problem.

I hardly use it on the courses I play a lot - as once you know a course, you have a pretty good feel for distances - but I find it incredibly valuable on courses I'm playing for the first time. Golf tracks are funny, distance and perspective are not always easy to get ... approaching a green for the first time from a distance (especially if it is slightly uphill) ... both the depth of the green and shape can be badly mistaken from 200 yards ... GolfLogix gives the general shape of the green, and also distance to front middle and back. And I love the function that shows distance to water/sand, and the distance required to clear water/sand.

Have a couple of problems with the recent versions though ... the company is trying so hard to lock people in that is is adding incresing amounts of (what I consider to be) junk. I do not want to records stats, nor scores, or automatically upload scores to their damn website (in the new software, every time you end a round you get prompted to upload your scores to FaceBook or Twitter, or GolfLogix ... WTF? Who uploads their scores to Twitter? ... but it forces you to say "No Thanks") ... basically, I just want distances. Because they built the software to enter scores, they disabled auto-advance - the thing wait for you to enter the score before going to the next hole - and even if you don't use it for scores, you still need to manually tell it to go to the next hole - the older versions were more basic and simple, and IMO, actually more convenient.

I realize these are minor, petty irritations, not deal killers ... but still ...

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='mk920' timestamp='1325278134' post='4006423']
If you have an iphone or a smartphone there is an app called golfshot gps. I believe it's like 29.99 and I have been using that app exclusively while playing golf and find it pretty accurate. It's the cheapest gps system available and you pay for it once and have it forever with no annual subscription fees.
[/quote]

Started off with the [b]GolfBuddy Pro[/b] GPS and it was very easy to use, just show up at a course and it finds you. However I have upgraded to the [b]GolfShot[/b] app for my iPhone and have used it for 2 seasons. It has all courses I usually play in Ontario, Canada and in Arizona where I spend the winter. 32,000 courses already loaded with free updates. Yardages to everywhere with shot data and scoring. Once you become used to it, it provides great info and it is an invaluable tool. There is another that just came out called[b] Mobiltee[/b] that was [b]free[/b] last week, normally $30. This one [b]includes[/b] [b]laser[/b] feature so you have both. As far as battery useage goes, I got a battery pak for $30 and doubles your time. Lots of power left, even after 36 holes. Why not take advantage of great technology, and it's legal to use.

[quote name='olmanracer' timestamp='1328236898' post='4201541']
[quote name='mk920' timestamp='1325278134' post='4006423']
If you have an iphone or a smartphone there is an app called golfshot gps. I believe it's like 29.99 and I have been using that app exclusively while playing golf and find it pretty accurate. It's the cheapest gps system available and you pay for it once and have it forever with no annual subscription fees.
[/quote]

Started off with the [b]GolfBuddy Pro[/b] GPS and it was very easy to use, just show up at a course and it finds you. However I have upgraded to the [b]GolfShot[/b] app for my iPhone and have used it for 2 seasons. It has all courses I usually play in Ontario, Canada and in Arizona where I spend the winter. 32,000 courses already loaded with free updates. Yardages to everywhere with shot data and scoring. Once you become used to it, it provides great info and it is an invaluable tool. There is another that just came out called[b] Mobiltee[/b] that was [b]free[/b] last week, normally $30. This one [b]includes[/b] [b]laser[/b] feature so you have both. As far as battery useage goes, I got a battery pak for $30 and doubles your time. Lots of power left, even after 36 holes. Why not take advantage of great technology, and it's legal to use.
[/quote]

Great info...thanks!!

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

[quote name='olmanracer' timestamp='1328236898' post='4201541']
There is another that just came out called[b] Mobiltee[/b] that was [b]free[/b] last week, normally $30. This one [b]includes[/b] [b]laser[/b] feature so you have both.[/quote]

I'm a little intrigued as to how a smartphone app incorporates a laser feature...

[quote name='10of14' timestamp='1325299935' post='4007839']
[/quote]

I use a GPS on my droid occasionally and my battery drains approx 2/3 for the whole 18 holes. Turn the brightness down, that's the main drain.

But 95% of my rounds are with laser. It's faster to get distances to whatever points you want. Surgeon not required.

Some of the better in-cart GPS systems are useful, especially the ones that have great graphics, 3D hole flyovers, ability to zoom in anywhere and also shows green contours. I think one of the better ones out there is called Prolink:

[attachment=1015677:prolink.jpg]

And I've also played at a course that had really old, ghetto in-cart GPS systems that look like they're from the 70's as well...the thing is probably bigger than my home PC:

[attachment=1015681:old gps.jpg]

Even with the in-cart GPS systems, I still use my rangefinder because there are holes that are either cart-path only, as well as the par 3s and other holes that have tee boxes that are quite a distance away from the cart itself.

[quote name='Funderpants' timestamp='1326557293' post='4083313']

To me part of the skill of golf is actually determining yardages.

[/quote]

[quote name='bobfoster' timestamp='1326578598' post='4084951']

I hardly use it on the courses I play a lot - as once you know a course, you have a pretty good feel for distances - but I find it incredibly valuable on courses I'm playing for the first time. Golf tracks are funny, distance and perspective are not always easy to get ... approaching a green for the first time from a distance (especially if it is slightly uphill) ... both the depth of the green and shape can be badly mistaken from 200 yards ...

[/quote]

Exactly. That's why I am still shocked that the ruling bodies actually allowed the option of using distance measuring devices in official rounds (I know that this is not exactly correct, but it sums up the result).
Good course architecture works with optical illusions, false fronts, bunkers that look like they are greenside, when in fact they are 30 yards short, so that you underestimate the yardage. All of this is part of good course design, and not being fooled by it is part of the skills required to play golf.
I have no problem with 460cc drivers or with long putters or with old grooves, new grooves, whatever. But the use of range finders and gps devices irritates me to no end, because they are a piece of equipment which really takes away some of the skills orginally required.
And in my view, they are a typical sign of our society of entitlement. "Why should I take a really close second look and use my brain, when a machine can tell me exactly how far away the hole is?"

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1328731097' post='4239409']
[quote name='Funderpants' timestamp='1326557293' post='4083313']
To me part of the skill of golf is actually determining yardages.

[/quote]

[quote name='bobfoster' timestamp='1326578598' post='4084951']
I hardly use it on the courses I play a lot - as once you know a course, you have a pretty good feel for distances - but I find it incredibly valuable on courses I'm playing for the first time. Golf tracks are funny, distance and perspective are not always easy to get ... approaching a green for the first time from a distance (especially if it is slightly uphill) ... both the depth of the green and shape can be badly mistaken from 200 yards ...

[/quote]

Exactly. That's why I am still shocked that the ruling bodies actually allowed the option of using distance measuring devices in official rounds (I know that this is not exactly correct, but it sums up the result).
Good course architecture works with optical illusions, false fronts, bunkers that look like they are greenside, when in fact they are 30 yards short, so that you underestimate the yardage. All of this is part of good course design, and not being fooled by it is part of the skills required to play golf.
I have no problem with 460cc drivers or with long putters or with old grooves, new grooves, whatever. But the use of range finders and gps devices irritates me to no end, because they are a piece of equipment which really takes away some of the skills orginally required.
And in my view, they are a typical sign of our society of entitlement. "Why should I take a really close second look and use my brain, when a machine can tell me exactly how far away the hole is?"
[/quote]

I see your point, but at the same time, then do you have to disallow yardage books too, whether they're homemade (or for a pro, caddie-made) or pre-made for a specific course? After all, yardage books take all the architectural factors into consideration with notes and things, no? I mean, if you look at Kevin Streelman's yardage book in the other section, it's incredibly detailed...much more so than you would get from a GPS or range finder...so why is that admissible and no one gives it a second thought?

Just because an item is electronic as opposed to written down on paper, it should be made illegal? You can make lots of arguments about why something is allowed that can potentially take away from the game...gas/electric and push carts? Isn't walking and/or carrying your bag part of the physical challenge as well? I guess it's a combination of evolving change that comes with time, convenience, accessibility, etc.

I'm certainly not arguing your point as I agree to a certain extent, but just trying to provide another train of thought...

[quote name='asong77' timestamp='1328732054' post='4239539']

I see your point, but at the same time, then do you have to disallow yardage books too, whether they're homemade (or for a pro, caddie-made) or pre-made for a specific course? After all, yardage books take all the architectural factors into consideration with notes and things, no? I mean, if you look at Kevin Streelman's yardage book in the other section, it's incredibly detailed...much more so than you would get from a GPS or range finder...so why is that admissible and no one gives it a second thought?

Just because an item is electronic as opposed to written down on paper, it should be made illegal? You can make lots of arguments about why something is allowed that can potentially take away from the game...gas/electric and push carts? Isn't walking and/or carrying your bag part of the physical challenge as well? I guess it's a combination of evolving change that comes with time, convenience, accessibility, etc.

I'm certainly not arguing your point as I agree to a certain extent, but just trying to provide another train of thought...
[/quote]

I also see your points.
The yardage books the pros use are different in my view, because they play for money, and because I have sseen first hand how hard they and their caddies work in practice rounds to gather all of that information.
I guess the notion of what is within the spirit of the game and what is not, is a very personal thing. bobfoster wrote it this another thread (about long putters). Sorry, if I do not quote him correctly, but in effect he said, that long putters simply do not seem right and look right for him and that he cannot give a more rational reason.
The same is certainly true for me, when it comes to distance measuring devices and to carts (the ones in which you ride). I think the game should be played walking. On the other hand, I do not see anything wrong with push or pull carts, because with those, you still move the clubs around the course using nothing but your own muscles.
I can even live with electric push carts, because you still have to walk yourself, and the situation is about the same as playing with a caddy (which has always been part of the game).
Others might say that measuring devices are comparable to a human caddy who knows the course really well, and frankly, I would not know how to argues that view rationally.
So, like I said, I think that there is a lot of "this [i]feels[/i] right or wrong" involved in these discussions. I guess that I simply want to keep the element of human error in the game when it comes to determining the yardage. And this element is still there with yardage books, with pacing off the distance using yardage markers and with relying on a caddy. But it is not there any longer when rangefinders and GPS devices are being used.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1328735123' post='4239815']
[quote name='asong77' timestamp='1328732054' post='4239539']

[/quote]

I also see your points.
The yardage books the pros use are different in my view, because they play for money, and because I have sseen first hand how hard they and their caddies work in practice rounds to gather all of that information.
I guess the notion of what is within the spirit of the game and what is not, is a very personal thing. bobfoster wrote it this another thread (about long putters). Sorry, if I do not quote him correctly, but in effect he said, that long putters simply do not seem right and look right for him and that he cannot give a more rational reason.
The same is certainly true for me, when it comes to distance measuring devices and to carts (the ones in which you ride). I think the game should be played walking. On the other hand, I do not see anything wrong with push or pull carts, because with those, you still move the clubs around the course using nothing but your own muscles.
I can even live with electric push carts, because you still have to walk yourself, and the situation is about the same as playing with a caddy (which has always been part of the game).
Others might say that measuring devices are comparable to a human caddy who knows the course really well, and frankly, I would not know how to argues that view rationally.
So, like I said, I think that there is a lot of "this [i]feels[/i] right or wrong" involved in these discussions. I guess that I simply want to keep the element of human error in the game when it comes to determining the yardage. And this element is still there with yardage books, with pacing off the distance using yardage markers and with relying on a caddy. But it is not there any longer when rangefinders and GPS devices are being used.
[/quote]

Yeah, I hear you...there's so much subjectivity involved...you ask one question or express a certain view and there will always be differing opinions. But at the end of the day, we all have choices and options (most of the time), so it works out...

And totally agree about not always being able to rationally explain why someone feels what they feel. For example, I believe in playing by the rules but at the same time, I'll also have exceptions to it...if my ball is on top of, or next to a tree root, or if there's a big stone or rock next to my ball in the bunker, I will give myself a free drop. I will not risk injury to myself or my equipment in the spirit of playing strictly by the rules. Obviously, I don't play in any tournaments or anything like that, and though I'm pretty serious about my game, in the end, to me, it's mostly about having fun and being out on the course.