2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Steve Strickers Swing

ava08

Anyone try to model after it, and your results
So I have been struggling with my swing for some time, mostly because of my hand / wrist action and casting the club. I am hitting behind the ball, and everything has been coming up very weak. I have had some analysis that shows me flipping at the ball because of the cast. I can't beat it. So I was "studying" Strickers swing over the weekend on youtube and from all the talking heads on TV discussing his action. I then went and made some swings trying that, simple, non-wristy, move and it feels good, without hitting balls especially how it almost automatically "shortens" the swing. I'm in New England, and it was a little too cold, and too late to go hit balls after I tried the swing. That said, has anyone made a move in this direction and or is this something that you have been doing for a while? What kind of success or failures have you had with it? Any information that you have would be great.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to change my swing because of fat shots as well. I went with the slicefixer model. Have you looked into it ? It has done wonders for me in less than 2 months. It has worked for many other amateurs as well. You can get tonnes of help on this forum if you do decide to go with it. I cant say the same about Stricker's model.

If you really break down his swing stricker swing is not that simply other than the illusions of no wrist set. He hits his positions very well and outs is hands on the same spot at impact as they were at address. That's is amazing club control. But I would say anytime you can remove extra moving parts in your Deng its s good thing.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

GD did an analysis of the parts of the golf swing and picked the best players to represent each part (Adam Scott was setup, downswing Sergio, etc.). I think they did this in 2010.....

Anyway, for overall swing....they picked Stricker.

I too really like Stricker, and really like the simple look of his swing.....so I try to emmulate him. However, I have to say like GatorNate11, it's a tricky proposition. So I try to take the good principles from him....i.e. smooth take away, big shoulder turn, don't get too hansy, don't try to smash the ground, let speed build up in your swing through rotation.....these are things that Stricker does well and can implement in your own swing.

I think if you try to swing like Stricker straight out.....you'll probably end up in a bad spot. Plus, the reason I went with Stricker is that i have a similar build (i.e. I too have wide shoulders and am fairly tall).....and the lack of hand action is appealing.

That being written, one thing from Stricker worth copying: his chipping technique. Pendulum stroke with a wedge.....try it.....it's pretty much no fail.

Just a thought.....

P.S. Go Stricker! I'm a fan.

Absolutely fantastic way to build a short game and wedge game.

But, one thing to note, if you haven't seen Stricker in person first off he's a huge dude, secondly he can turn his body extremely effectively, lastly he's known for accuracy not distance. Trying to incorporate that into the average amateur could result in some serious speedbumps.

I've had some good success with his "no wrist hinge" type of swing from around 90 yards and in. Found my distance control and accuracy improved greatly with no worries of creating alot of spin. As stated above, my chipping has also improved.....

Titleist 913 D2 8.5* Rogue 70 S
Titleist 915 16.5* Whiteboard 80 X
Titleist 915 19* Whiteboard 90 S, 24* Whiteboard 100X
 AP2 716 KBS Tour S 1x SS SM7 Black 50* KBS
SM7 Black 54/14 KBS,  SM7 58/12 KBS
KP1 Carbon ---Cally Chrome Soft 2018
TM TP5X

Thank you all for the responses. Please keep them coming. I don't think that I want to copy his swing exactly so much, as use some of the concepts to get back in sync. I have a huge problem, now that I play infrequently ( young children / weekend projects) with the timing I once had, with the handsy swing that I had. My hope is that by using the basics of the swing, focusing in on shoulder turn. It's actually funny I noticed in the limited swings I made,that if I focus more on my hand action/position and let my shoulders act natural, at least by feel my positions at least feel better. Now we'll eventully see how it translates. It can't be much worse than the flip I have. Obviously I am adding loft to each club and hittlng high weak shots. My hopes are to get back the yardages I used to have by having either the true loft or possibly a little less loft at impact. Again we'll see!

FWIW, I have found that 'copying' Stricker's swing is a good thing, but I put copy in quotes because I have never tried to exactly copy SS'ers swing.

My experience is that 'driving' my swing by my body turn and limiting both my wrist-set and arm lift (mostly by trying to be sure that they both end when my turn ends) improves my consistency and (despite what my instincts tell me) there seems to be no loss in distance. And this feel that I find helpful feels to me like what Stricker's swing looks like to me.

So kinda' man_in_love.gif

dave

Speaking of stricker , any one catch the interview today. The guy is authentic as the day is long.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

A while ago, someone on this board pointed out that Steve Stricker's swing is rediculously similar to "Moe Norman's" single plane swing. FWIW, he's one of very few Tour Pros using that single plane. Perhaps, SEVAM1 could add a lot of weight to this subject.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

[quote name='gators78' timestamp='1326127196' post='4050481']

But, one thing to note, if you haven't seen Stricker in person first off he's a huge dude, secondly he can turn his body extremely effectively, lastly he's known for accuracy not distance. Trying to incorporate that into the average amateur could result in some serious speedbumps.
[/quote]

When you say huge, what are we talking? 6'2" 210? 6'4" 230?

Non-compensated Titleist staffer

It has him listed at 6'0 190 but that cannot be right. I would guess like you said 6'2 210, I originally meant huge because I had him pictured in my mind as much smaller. The picture below gives you a good idea...

steve-stricker-tiger-woods-presidents-cup-100909_t640.jpg?a6ea3ebd4438a44b86d2e9c39ecf7613005fe067

A lot of people reccomend the Stricker wrist hinge for short game and wedges, but why not full swing like Stricker himself? Sorry if its a dumb question. I have been having trouble lately in my swing with too much wrist movement and Im not sure if its a solution, or will help at all, but the limited wrist hinge sounds like a way to improve my problem, any thoughts? Thanks

[quote name='southpaw72' timestamp='1326156929' post='4053077']
A lot of people reccomend the Stricker wrist hinge for short game and wedges, but why not full swing like Stricker himself? Sorry if its a dumb question. I have been having trouble lately in my swing with too much wrist movement and Im not sure if its a solution, or will help at all, but the limited wrist hinge sounds like a way to improve my problem, any thoughts? Thanks
[/quote]

It's not that Stricker has no wrist hinge in his swing....it's that he as VERY little (especially when you compare him to someone like Webb Simpson). His swing is governed by a massive shoulder turn (both in the number of degrees of rotation and the fact that he has very wide shoulders, so when they turn, that creats a lot of space).

So I think the principle to take away from his swing, which may help you, is keep your wrists a little quieter and let your shoulders and body do the work.

It's worth a shot anyway.....

It has him listed at 6'0 190 but that cannot be right. I would guess like you said 6'2 210, I originally meant huge because I had him pictured in my mind as much smaller. The picture below gives you a good idea...

steve-stricker-tiger-woods-presidents-cup-100909_t640.jpg?a6ea3ebd4438a44b86d2e9c39ecf7613005fe067

He has to be bigger than that. I've seen him at the tour championship a few times and he seems more like Els than Tiger. Could have sworn he was more around 6"2/3 at least.

Tsr2 8 or Tsi3 9 with Whiteboard 73 stiff Rombax 7z08
Titleist 910f 15 diamana whiteboard 83 stiff

titleist 818h2 with atmos stiff
titleist 710 mb 4-pw or Mizuno 919 Tour 4-pw or....
Vokey 52,56
Lajosi dd201 about 20 other putters

[quote name='southpaw72' timestamp='1326156929' post='4053077']
[/quote]

Not really a dumb question, I was speaking in generalities and it's hard for the average person to copy because the average person needs to add distance, not limit it. If you already hit it far enough and want some more accuracy then def think about it, just realize it brings your body into play more so could be an adjustment.

I have messed around with this idea of having little wrist hinge myself. Through my own trial and error I have found that limiting my wrist hinge has helped me maintain width in my swing. So now when I practice a focus more on staying wide than worrying about the amount of wrist hinge. It seems that when people feel very wristy or flippy they are simply picking the club up to quickly with their hands and arms or not maintaining their width. Just a thought you may be able to use.

He has to be bigger than that. I've seen him at the tour championship a few times and he seems more like Els than Tiger. Could have sworn he was more around 6"2/3 at least.

I think the 6'0 190# is probably close. I live in the Madison area and have seen him at various events and I always end up thinking he looks bigger on TV.

Based on this picture, he looks to be about Tiger's size...and Tiger just isn't that big.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7