So I Want To Get A Combo Set of Irons

1tondriver

Suggestions Wanted
I played this past season with a set of Anser irons after a break from golf and I think they may have served there purpose and it is time to move on. I finished the season at a 4.9 index (thanks to some good chipping) and I feel that my iron play was the weak point in my game. My GIR was not the best and my goal is to improve upon that this season.
I am looking for a combo set that are not super tiny heads and have a small amount of progressive offset. I will be getting 4-pw and I am considering the 8-pw to be mb. My main objectives going this route is to have better control of trajectory (high ball hitter) and better distance control. I welcome some constructive suggestions.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Titleist 735 CM's. One of the few sets purposefully made to be a truly blended set from long iron to short iron. Plenty cheap too at the moment - expect to pick up a pretty good set for less than £200, a choice of stainless and traditional chrome carbon steel too and don't forget the 2-iron option is available as well. You won't find a better set for the money IMO.

[quote name='1tondriver' timestamp='1326647715' post='4088195']
I played this past season with a set of Anser irons after a break from golf and I think they may have served there purpose and it is time to move on. I finished the season at a 4.9 index (thanks to some good chipping) [b]and I feel that my iron play was the weak point in my game.[/b] My GIR was not the best and my goal is to improve upon that this season.
I am looking for a combo set that are not super tiny heads and have a small amount of progressive offset. I will be getting 4-pw and [b]I am considering the 8-pw to be mb.[/b] My main objectives going this route is to have better control of trajectory (high ball hitter) and better distance control. I welcome some constructive suggestions.
[/quote]
You're going in a direction opposite of what I thought you'd be contemplating given your iron play is stated to not be super hot.

Those Ansers are a [i]gorgeous[/i] set. They are a little offset, but not enough that I would anticipate the offset of cause an overly high ballflight. Which shafts do they have? (I'm biased, I love that set!)

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1326649333' post='4088335']
I played this past season with a set of Anser irons after a break from golf and I think they may have served there purpose and it is time to move on. I finished the season at a 4.9 index (thanks to some good chipping) [b]and I feel that my iron play was the weak point in my game.[/b] My GIR was not the best and my goal is to improve upon that this season.
I am looking for a combo set that are not super tiny heads and have a small amount of progressive offset. I will be getting 4-pw and [b]I am considering the 8-pw to be mb.[/b] My main objectives going this route is to have better control of trajectory (high ball hitter) and better distance control. I welcome some constructive suggestions.
[/quote]
You're going in a direction opposite of what I thought you'd be contemplating given your iron play is stated to not be super hot.

Those Ansers are a [i]gorgeous[/i] set. They are a little offset, but not enough that I would anticipate the offset of cause an overly high ballflight. Which shafts do they have? (I'm biased, I love that set!)
[/quote]

I have had a harder time with distance control and flighting the Ansers. They are a very nice iron and very forgiving, but I prefer a mb in the shorter irons. I currently have Steelfiber 110's in the ansers and I am considering keeping with the same shaft in the new sticks. FWIW, I have been fitted for the shafts

tm mb/mc with a higher kick point shaft!

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Have you hit the c-taper? Stiff is only 120 grams so +1/2" won't be much. If you like DG you can try the DGSL or monaco prototypes to lower flight as well, obviously based on spin and your feel preference.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1326650449' post='4088425']
Have you hit the c-taper? Stiff is only 120 grams so +1/2" won't be much. If you like DG you can try the DGSL or monaco prototypes to lower flight as well, obviously based on spin and your feel preference.
[/quote]

I did hit the C-Tapers in S and I had very similar #'s with the 110's. I have a bad tendonitis problem in my left elbow and I was hoping for some releif with the steelfibers. To be honest, I don't know that it has helped much with that. I do like how smooth they are though and the vibration is very minimal. I am going to get on the trackman soon, hopefully tomorrow. Oh decisions, decisions...

[quote name='1tondriver' timestamp='1326649849' post='4088381']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1326649333' post='4088335']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have had a harder time with distance control and flighting the Ansers. They are a very nice iron and very forgiving, but I prefer a mb in the shorter irons. I currently have Steelfiber 110's in the ansers and I am considering keeping with the same shaft in the new sticks. FWIW, I have been fitted for the shafts
[/quote]
Gotcha. Yeah, those are excellent shafts.
The Nike VR Pro Combos are quite nice. Not sure I dig the transition from 8i blade to 7i CB in this set (mostly the difference in the soles was most noticeable to me.) The CB's in the middle tended to launch highest for me in this set. MB's stay down, as did the pocket cavity long irons. I had the Pro Combo Tours in the past which were quite nice, and Titleist 735's which were also good.

I am not sure about the new razr mb but I can tell you that I absolutley love my x-proto/ x-forged combo with kbs tours. I have tried other irons but I keep going back to these. I love the look, feel and there's a tad bit of forgiveness. Good luck in your search

PXG gen5 0311 10.5 riptide blue
15* Sub70 939 Riptide blue
sub70 699 pro s300
Titleist sm9 s400
TM Spider tour red 35"

I'm a big fan of Titleist and Mizuno irons. As far as combo sets, the Mizunos tend to blend fairly seamlessly. I'd give those a shot.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 8.0 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ 7X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

I'm gaming a Titleist 710 CB/MB combo (3-6 CB 7-PW MB) with Project X steel and love this set up. I would highly reccomend either this set up or the same type of set up with the 712. Another GREAT option would be the Taylor Made TPs, you could do a TB CB in the 3 and 4 iron, TP MC in the 5-6 or 7 and TP MB in the 7 or 8-PW along with the shaft of your choosing. Still another alternative would be an Adams combo set. I was REALLY impressed with their performance when I testd them while feeling out which new irons to put in. For the Adams you could do either CB 1 or CB2 3-6 or 7 and then do the MB1 7 or 8-PW. Another alternative in Adams land would be the A12 in the 3-6 or 7 and MB2 in the 7 or 8-PW; one thing to note with this setup though is that the A12is a black PVD finished clubhead and the MB2 is a raw un-plated clubhead that will rust.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

I would suggest at least taking a look at the Wishon 555c and 555m irons - you can make the the split wherever you want. I am a big fan of the sole grind and they are surprisingly forgiving.

I played this past season with a set of Anser irons after a break from golf and I think they may have served there purpose and it is time to move on. I finished the season at a 4.9 index (thanks to some good chipping) and I feel that my iron play was the weak point in my game. My GIR was not the best and my goal is to improve upon that this season.
I am looking for a combo set that are not super tiny heads and have a small amount of progressive offset. I will be getting 4-pw and I am considering the 8-pw to be mb. My main objectives going this route is to have better control of trajectory (high ball hitter) and better distance control. I welcome some constructive suggestions.
[/quote]

[quote name='mwink822' timestamp='1326661311' post='4089283']
one thing to note with this setup though is that the A12is a black PVD finished clubhead and the MB2 is a raw un-plated clubhead that will rust.
[/quote]

If the contrast in finishes would distract you, you could always go with the MB1s instead, they have the PVD black finish and are great MBs.

Adams Launch Lab 8* w/ Matrix 7m4 Black Tie
Adams Super LS 15* w/ Axe Xcalibur Tour
Adams CB1 3-PW w/ PX 6.0
Yururi Gekku 53, 57, & 61 w/ PX 6.0
NeverCompromise Gambler Straight

[/quote]

Cleveland CG1 Tours

Tsr2 9*

BRNR Mini 13.5*

818 H1 20*/24*

Ping i210 6-P (29*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*/Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

Another GREAT option would be the Taylor Made TPs, you could do a TB CB in the 3 and 4 iron, TP MC in the 5-6 or 7 and TP MB in the 7 or 8-PW along with the shaft of your choosing.

This is looking like a good option. Can anyone who is playing this combo comment? I am going to be testing all the options today, got the day off and the wife is working partytime2.gif

[quote name='bellairemi' timestamp='1326664963' post='4089575']
I would suggest at least taking a look at the Wishon 555c and 555m irons - you can make the the split wherever you want. I am a big fan of the sole grind and they are surprisingly forgiving.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Or these.
[attachment=985443:575-Group1.jpg]

Wishon 919 THI 9* Talamonti PD 70X
Wishon 949 MC 14* Talamonti PD 80X
Taylormade 2011 18 Rescue NVS 90x Hybrid
Wishon 575MMC 3-PW GD X100 SSX1
Titleist SM4 52 amd 56* GD wedge flex
Never Compormise GM2 Exchange #5
WITB Link

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone here done the A12's/MB2's? I am really thinking of going this route, but would like feedback from anyone who has done this.

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X