Pebble Beach Trip

KUJayhawks

Any suggestions??
So, just found out that I'm going to Pebble for a charity golf tournament in early March. SOOOOOO PUMPED! So, the first day we are playing a Scramble at the Monterey Peninsula Shore Course and I've heard nothing but great things. The second day we are playing a two man best ball at Spyglass. And the third day is going to be something special, we get to play a stroke play tourney at Pebble. Not only that, but they are closing down the course for the entire day and we get a chance to play 36!

Anyone played the MPCC Shore course before? The little tidbits I can find on it say that it's amazing, and the pictures definitely corroborate, but haven't been able to find a lot of reviews. What will the weather be like while I'm there and is there anything special I should bring? Thanks!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Layers, a camera and your 'A' game.

Sounds like a wonderful 3 days.

Weather at Monterey is variable and changes quickly. In March you could be out in 75* and clear blue skies or you could be out in 45* and a cold wet fog. Not unknown to get both of those situations in the one round and everything in between. Layer up and down as the weather changes.
March is usually well within the rainy season out here. We have had next to no rain at all this season but who knows whether that will continue or if we are headed for a wet spring like we had last year. Decent set of waterproofs would be recommended.

Get some short game practice in. Greens on those courses are all pretty small, you will be leaving yourself some interesting up and downs.

[quote name='KUJayhawks' timestamp='1328193013' post='4196801']
So, just found out that I'm going to Pebble for a charity golf tournament in early March. SOOOOOO PUMPED! So, the first day we are playing a Scramble at the Monterey Peninsula Shore Course and I've heard nothing but great things. The second day we are playing a two man best ball at Spyglass. And the third day is going to be something special, we get to play a stroke play tourney at Pebble. Not only that, but they are closing down the course for the entire day and we get a chance to play 36!

Anyone played the MPCC Shore course before? The little tidbits I can find on it say that it's amazing, and the pictures definitely corroborate, but haven't been able to find a lot of reviews. What will the weather be like while I'm there and is there anything special I should bring? Thanks!
[/quote]
What? No Cypress Point?

All kidding aside, H8 3Putts is right on about the weather. There's even some March rains on occasion. Keep checking the weather web sites.

I've played all three of those courses (and Cypress!). They're all terrific. At MPCC you've got to play the one par 3 (I can't remember the number) from the way back tees. You've got to clamber around some rocks to get to this little patch of grass. From there it's over a cove to the green. When I played it there were a number of sight seers watching - and drooling. I may have been too.

It sounds like a wonderful time. Be sure to play Pebble twice. If the weather isn't totally horrible, you'll want to.

I am going to try and play Pebble Beach the first week in April. My wife and I are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary, but not staying at Pebble Beach Lodge. My understanding is you can call a day ahead for cancellations. For those of you who have played, I know it is $495 for the round. How much is the cart? Do you have to take a caddy and how much is that plus tip? I know this will cost some $$$ but would like to have an idea before I go. Any tips for the best way to get on if you are not staying there would be appreciated!

[quote name='tucsondivots' timestamp='1328834977' post='4248517']
I am going to try and play Pebble Beach the first week in April. My wife and I are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary, but not staying at Pebble Beach Lodge. My understanding is you can call a day ahead for cancellations. For those of you who have played, I know it is $495 for the round. How much is the cart? Do you have to take a caddy and how much is that plus tip? I know this will cost some $$$ but would like to have an idea before I go. Any tips for the best way to get on if you are not staying there would be appreciated!
[/quote]

[url="http://www.pebblebeach.com/golf/pebble-beach-golf-links/current-rates"]http://www.pebblebea...s/current-rates[/url]

Here's the link to the rates. The $495 includes cart. If you want to make the anniversary trip really fun, then take her to Pebble with you, even if she doesn't play. Couple of thoughts:

1) Don't waste your money on the caddy. The idea is nice but in the end those guys end up bugging more than anything.

2) Your wife could ride in the cart. Trust me she will love it. The views are incredible and you 2 will have a blast.

3) After the round take her for drinks and a quick bite at the Tap Room in the Pebble Lodge. Famous place and good food.

4) Call a day in advance and ask the pro shop for a tee time. If you are a single they will most likely have a spot for you. In the end if you cant get on Pebble then do Spyglass.

[quote name='falken19150' timestamp='1328837204' post='4248799']
[quote name='tucsondivots' timestamp='1328834977' post='4248517']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.pebblebeach.com/golf/pebble-beach-golf-links/current-rates"]http://www.pebblebea...s/current-rates[/url]

Here's the link to the rates. The $495 includes cart. If you want to make the anniversary trip really fun, then take her to Pebble with you, even if she doesn't play. Couple of thoughts:

1) Don't waste your money on the caddy. The idea is nice but in the end those guys end up bugging more than anything.

2) Your wife could ride in the cart. Trust me she will love it. The views are incredible and you 2 will have a blast.

3) After the round take her for drinks and a quick bite at the Tap Room in the Pebble Lodge. Famous place and good food.

Great suggestions - thanks!

4) Call a day in advance and ask the pro shop for a tee time. If you are a single they will most likely have a spot for you. In the end if you cant get on Pebble then do Spyglass.
[/quote]

[quote name='tucsondivots' timestamp='1328840123' post='4249199']
[size="4"]Great suggestions - thanks![/size]
[/quote]

I'd recommend two things that are contrary to what was just suggested:

1. Take a caddy. I've gone to Pebble three times. Twice with caddies. Those were better. They give great yardages, read putts, and make it a much more pleasant experience, IMHO. I guess the previous poster had a bad experience, but that's the exception from testimonials of other PBers.

2. Walk if you can. It's cart path only and the paths are quite a ways from the fairway, especially if you hit it on the opposite side as the path. If your wife wants to come along and ride in the cart, that's different.

To expand a little. The caddy experience is typically unnerving for many. I play Pebble 10-12 times a year. The first 2 times I ever played it was with a caddy. Each of the other times, I have been paired up with other twosomes who got caddies. My observations were as follows:

1) The caddies constantly giving advice made people nervous or threw them off their game.
2) They dont carry your normal bag. They get one of their carry bags and load your clubs into it. If they nick or scratch your clubs, they really don't care
3) There is an expectation of getting a big tip.
4) Have seen the caddies get frustrated by having to loop for golfers that weren't that good
5) Seen many instances of wrong advice or just not being helpful

The only reason I suggested a cart was given its his 40th anniversary, the poster i would guess would be older in age. Have seen a lot of people gas out from walking Pebble even with caddies. Throwing the clubs on the cart and driving it around has been much easier for the couples I've been paired with and would make it a lot easier for the both of them.

Walk. Take a caddie. Be ready to spend a ton of money but I assure you it's all worth it.

My wife and I went for the first time in September. I am constantly trying to figure out ways to get back.

We didn't stay at the resort either. Called at 7 am sharp on a Thursday, got the last tee time on Friday. Booked our flight Thursday night, flew out early Friday, made the 2 hour drive from SFO to PB, and had the time of our lives.

GET A CADDIE and walk if you have it in you. You simply will have no idea on some of those greens. Our caddie (Tino, greatest dude ever) carried both our bags, somehow kept up with both of us, and saved us at least 10 shots between the two of us... And we are both low single digit handicaps. He was worth every penny.

Like above, go to The Tap Room. Cool place. If you do the souvenir thing, don't buy stuff at the golf course. Go to the PB store at Cannery Row. Same stuff, fraction of the price.

You'll have a blast no matter what, though.

It was the best trip we've ever done and that includes two trips to Hawaii. Have fun and congrats on the 40th.

Oh ya, take a lot of pictures.

Any recomendations in March on whether early or later tee times are better weather wise? Or is it just a crap shoot?

I have 8a tee times for PB and SH now and I'm wondering whether to just stick with it and roll the dice.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='falken19150' timestamp='1328845572' post='4249949']
To expand a little. The caddy experience is typically unnerving for many. I play Pebble 10-12 times a year. The first 2 times I ever played it was with a caddy. Each of the other times, I have been paired up with other twosomes who got caddies. My observations were as follows:

1) The caddies constantly giving advice made people nervous or threw them off their game.
2) They dont carry your normal bag. They get one of their carry bags and load your clubs into it. If they nick or scratch your clubs, they really don't care
4) Have seen the caddies get frustrated by having to loop for golfers that weren't that good

The only reason I suggested a cart was given its his 40th anniversary, the poster i would guess would be older in age. Have seen a lot of people gas out from walking Pebble even with caddies. Throwing the clubs on the cart and driving it around has been much easier for the couples I've been paired with and would make it a lot easier for the both of them.

[/quote]

Not so old -- I married young :rolleyes: . At 63, with a 12.8 index, I walk 90% of the time so should have no issue. My wife does not play. She supports my golf habit and will keep busy with things to do in Carmel while I am playing. That said, most everyone says a caddy is the way to go. I will have to call at 7am the day we leave to see if I can get on the next day. We are there for three days so I have a couple of chances. We will be there from Sunday to Wednesday -- am thinking Monday or Tuesday might be lighter days for play. How much are the caddy fees? I have seen $50-$75 mentioned. Then about a $50 tip on top of that. The only other time I had a caddy is when I was fortunate enough to play the Old Course at St. Andrews. That caddy definitely added to my enjoyment of the round. Watching Pebble on TV this weekend is making me very excited about my first trip there!

Sounds good. You will have a blast! I played Pebble last week with all the grandstands up and it was in super shape. Get the coconut cake at the Tap Room by the way!!

For dcmidnight, go with the earlier tee times because it still gets dark pretty early and fog will start to roll in around 2-3pm. Dont worry about the rain you will be fine.

[quote name='falken19150' timestamp='1328913456' post='4255891']
Sounds good. You will have a blast! I played Pebble last week with all the grandstands up and it was in super shape. Get the coconut cake at the Tap Room by the way!!

For dcmidnight, go with the earlier tee times because it still gets dark pretty early and fog will start to roll in around 2-3pm. Dont worry about the rain you will be fine.
[/quote]

Sweet - thanks! I think they may be aerating at the end of March but it really will not matter to me.

[quote name='tucsondivots' timestamp='1328912778' post='4255791']

[/quote]

Not so old -- I married young :rolleyes: . At 63, with a 12.8 index, I walk 90% of the time so should have no issue. My wife does not play. She supports my golf habit and will keep busy with things to do in Carmel while I am playing. That said, most everyone says a caddy is the way to go. I will have to call at 7am the day we leave to see if I can get on the next day. We are there for three days so I have a couple of chances. We will be there from Sunday to Wednesday -- am thinking Monday or Tuesday might be lighter days for play. How much are the caddy fees? I have seen $50-$75 mentioned. Then about a $50 tip on top of that. The only other time I had a caddy is when I was fortunate enough to play the Old Course at St. Andrews. That caddy definitely added to my enjoyment of the round. Watching Pebble on TV this weekend is making me very excited about my first trip there!
[/quote]

I can't find the note where I wrote it down, but when I spoke to the people at Pebble, I believe he told me the caddy fee was $80 per bag with a tip of between $30-50. Thats interesting about using a different bag, do they do that if you already have a fairly lightweight carry bag. I think we're on the same schedule, planning on flying into San Jose on Saturday the 31st and having three days to try to get on Pebble.

Kekoa, what exactly are your dates you'll be there.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1328969078' post='4259673']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can't find the note where I wrote it down, but when I spoke to the people at Pebble, I believe he told me the caddy fee was $80 per bag with a tip of between $30-50. Thats interesting about using a different bag, do they do that if you already have a fairly lightweight carry bag. I think we're on the same schedule, planning on flying into San Jose on Saturday the 31st and having three days to try to get on Pebble.

[/quote]

Sounds like a few of us WRX'ers are going to be at Pebble between the end of March and mid-April. Has anyone heard about aeration? Just curious. Man, does it look awesome on TV this weekend!

[quote name='tucsondivots' timestamp='1329004280' post='4263011']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1328969078' post='4259673']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sounds like a few of us WRX'ers are going to be at Pebble between the end of March and mid-April. Has anyone heard about aeration? Just curious. Man, does it look awesome on TV this weekend!
[/quote]

Man it does look great out there. Damn airfares went up almost $50 over the last part of the week, and I haven't booked yet.

I have played at all the courses when they have punched the greens ( end of March). I am sure if you run a search my reviews will come up. With my experience, I called well ahead of time to get a twosome for Pebble. I had to prove that I was playing all of the other courses. In addition, they charged me the same to play Pebble, but gave me a $100 credit for the proshop. In the end, I saved all of my credits from the courses and bought a lot of stuff which worked out well. I did not take a caddy on my trip. First I dropped 5bills for the round and I wanted to play it on my terms. Thr 4th and 8th holes are the only times that I would have liked to have a caddy. I wasnt sure if lines off the tees. The rest of the course is right in front of you. I know that I will go back to play one day but I doubt I will take a caddy. Take time to take pictures as you go and enjoy yourself without someone in your ear.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

[quote name='gibbyfan' timestamp='1329077732' post='4268451']
I have played at all the courses when they have punched the greens ( end of March). I am sure if you run a search my reviews will come up. With my experience, I called well ahead of time to get a twosome for Pebble. I had to prove that I was playing all of the other courses. In addition, they charged me the same to play Pebble, but gave me a $100 credit for the proshop. In the end, I saved all of my credits from the courses and bought a lot of stuff which worked out well. I did not take a caddy on my trip. First I dropped 5bills for the round and I wanted to play it on my terms. Thr 4th and 8th holes are the only times that I would have liked to have a caddy. I wasnt sure if lines off the tees. The rest of the course is right in front of you. I know that I will go back to play one day but I doubt I will take a caddy. Take time to take pictures as you go and enjoy yourself without someone in your ear.
[/quote]

Hey gibbyfan,
Thanks for the input. I have never searched another members posts -- how is that done? Punched greens will not keep me from playing, but I would like to know what you thought. I passed up playing PB in 1982 because they had punched the greens and for $80 it seemed to much $$! I ended up playing Spyglass Hill for $40. It appears you can only call 24 hours ahead to reserve a time at PB unless you are staying at the Lodge (we are not). Since you did not have a caddy, did you carry your bag or ride a cart? I only have a cart bag. I am not at all against getting a caddy and it sounds like it is not that difficult to walk?

Here is the link [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/152901-went-to-monterey-march-20-24/page__p__988356__hl__pebble+beach__fromsearch__1#entry988356"]My link[/url] To search, just above the list of forum topics there is a search button. Type in what you are looking for and you are off and running. On my trip I rode everywhere. I was there with a friend and we played 36 holes a day. We were also partnered with a couple of weaker players. There are a few spots where you will have a little walk between holes, but they really keep everyone moving there. Getting as many rounds in is something PB is interested in. Pebbles greens were the most recently punched when I was there, the greens weren't too fast but rolled pretty good.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

[quote name='gibbyfan' timestamp='1329094796' post='4271147']
Here is the link [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/152901-went-to-monterey-march-20-24/page__p__988356__hl__pebble+beach__fromsearch__1#entry988356"]My link[/url] To search, just above the list of forum topics there is a search button. Type in what you are looking for and you are off and running. On my trip I rode everywhere. I was there with a friend and we played 36 holes a day. We were also partnered with a couple of weaker players. There are a few spots where you will have a little walk between holes, but they really keep everyone moving there. Getting as many rounds in is something PB is interested in. Pebbles greens were the most recently punched when I was there, the greens weren't too fast but rolled pretty good.
[/quote]

Thanks gibbyfan. Looks like you were there in late March 2008 and they had already punched. Since I am playing April 9 or 10 they should be healed a little more, I guess. I cannot find anything about aeration schedule on the internet. Does anyone know when Pebble is punching greens?

[quote name='tucsondivots' timestamp='1329103360' post='4272421']
[quote name='gibbyfan' timestamp='1329094796' post='4271147']
[/quote]

Thanks gibbyfan. Looks like you were there in late March 2008 and they had already punched. Since I am playing April 9 or 10 they should be healed a little more, I guess. I cannot find anything about aeration schedule on the internet. Does anyone know when Pebble is punching greens?
[/quote]

I think I'm going to call tomorrow before I book my flight. If I find somthing out I'll post it.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1329151100' post='4275527']
Called PB this morning, they said Pebble is scheduled to do aerification April 3-7. Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Yikes, my potential days for playing are April 9 or 10. I guess the greens will be bumpy but I am not missing the chance to play! I skipped playing in 1982 because they had just punched the greens (for $80). What phone number did you call? I wonder if they are open during aerating?

[quote name='tucsondivots' timestamp='1329153855' post='4275929']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1329151100' post='4275527']
Called PB this morning, they said Pebble is scheduled to do aerification April 3-7. Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Yikes, my potential days for playing are April 9 or 10. I guess the greens will be bumpy but I am not missing the chance to play! I skipped playing in 1982 because they had just punched the greens (for $80). What phone number did you call? I wonder if they are open during aerating?
[/quote]

I called 831-622-8723, talked to Susanne.