2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golfers in Austin, TX

epmonies

Hate to be that guy since others have commented here and elsewhere but not seeing much recently:

How have the conditions been at Barton Creek? A buddy and I want to stay and play in late-March, but I'm v concerned by all the negative reviews of both the resort (ppl are saying it's "tired") and of the conditions at the two Fazio courses. Has Omni slashed costs and have the courses gone downhill in the last year or two? Should we stay away?

Having never played golf in Austin, we don't care much about price but just want to play the best courses we can play. My impression is that the Austin publics bucket list starts with the Fazio's and that Wolfdancer (don't want to stay so far away at Horseshoe Bay) is a ways down the list.

i get lessons from Brech at the golf academy so i see only part of the canyons course but the conditions do not look bad to me. played the crenshaw course and it was in great shape too last fathers day.

if you are staying at horsehoe bay you got 3 courses there that are good. wolf dancer imo would be worth a go as well. love that track.

That's not good news about Falconhead. Wanted to bring my brother there next weekend when he visits. If anyone else gets out there in the next week let me know how it is.

TM Stealth2+ - Diamana S+ 6x
17' TM M2 15* 3 wood - Tensei Blue 7x
Nike VR Forged Combo 3-PW - Hard stepped Project X 6.0
TM MG Wedges - 52, 58
Custom Nike Oven Method 006, Toulon Las Vegas

Any courses worth checking out between DFW and Austin?

Titleist 913d3 with a graphite shaft
Titleist 913fd with a 3w shaft
Titleist 910h19 degree with some shaft appropriate to it's use
Titleist Ap2 4-PW with metal shafts
Titleist 52, 56 and 60 wedges w/ shorter metal shafts
Never Compromise TDP 5.2 Putter or a TDP4.2 Putter or a GoLo Putter with a putter shaft

Okay...so I yesterday I played Avery Ranch...and the conditions were way below normal too. Greens are filled with that whiteish weed that looks like poa....and make them bumpy as hell. Bunkers are thin....and sand has been replaced with a heavy substance that contain thousands of pebbles.

What is up with our crown jewel public courses? The only course I can recommend right now to visitors is Star Ranch.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

Okay...so I yesterday I played Avery Ranch...and the conditions were way below normal too. Greens are filled with that whiteish weed that looks like poa....and make them bumpy as hell. Bunkers are thin....and sand has been replaced with a heavy substance that contain thousands of pebbles.

What is up with our crown jewel public courses? The only course I can recommend right now to visitors is Star Ranch.

What the hell is going on out there? I haven't been able to play in a few weeks and my brother is coming to town on Sunday and we wanted to play Falconhead. Not so sure about that now and now it sounds like Avery isn't even a possibility.

Anyone play anywhere recently that IS in good shape?

TM Stealth2+ - Diamana S+ 6x
17' TM M2 15* 3 wood - Tensei Blue 7x
Nike VR Forged Combo 3-PW - Hard stepped Project X 6.0
TM MG Wedges - 52, 58
Custom Nike Oven Method 006, Toulon Las Vegas

What the hell is going on out there? I haven't been able to play in a few weeks and my brother is coming to town on Sunday and we wanted to play Falconhead. Not so sure about that now and now it sounds like Avery isn't even a possibility.

Anyone play anywhere recently that IS in good shape?

Bandit, Vaaler, TPC Oaks/Canyons, Plum Creek were all in good shape that I have played in the last month.

Played my first round of the year yesterday - as a last minute thing while down in San Antonio for work - at Brackenridge!

Neat course and was in good shape. Really liked the subtle, late breaks on some of the greens. If the front 9 could be closer to the fun levels of the back 9, they'd really have something there.

That said, the out-of-towner rate sure highlights the value on offer at Mo Willy, Clay, and Kizer. Very happy to have those options available here.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I searched on drain, drainage, fast drying, and the like to see which courses handle the rain well and didn't get anything back.

With rain on the forecast over the next few days I was wondering which tracks are the best wet-weather options?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

So i am driving in from Houston next Friday heading to Dripping Springs and want to play somewhere before i get there. What are my best options?

Try Grey Rock, nice course and definitely on the way.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

Played at Vaaler on Wednesday and Wolfdancer on Thursday. #9 at vaaler was very cool, always tough to judge those short, downhill par 3s. Then got salt lick on the way back to Austin so the course had that going for it.

Wolf was on the players club level. Views were amazing even before getting out of the car while driving through forests to the pro shop. Range was super cool, just wish the yardages were marked. Beautiful sloping fairways and multi tiered greens. Used every club in my bag - exceptional time.

Went to jester king on Friday evening and lamberts, Franklin and salt lick. Probably la barbecue tomorrow. A successful trip and you all are friendly as hell.

Played Teravista this morning for the first time in a few months. Tee boxes were good, fairways were in good shape, but the front 9 greens were absolutely terrible, the worst I've ever seen them. The back 9 greens were better, but still need some attention. I ended up in a couple bunkers and they finally look like they added some decent sand to them over the winter. If they don't give the front 9 greens some attention, they may very well lose them. They reminded me of Lions Muni.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

I was out there last Saturday and its in great shape. Fairways are nice and I'd say 99% of the greens are in great shape.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 718 AP2s
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey TVD 60*

Well Falconhead was already booked up for Friday when we wanted to play. So we are playing Kizer. Have not played out there since high school. Anyone been out there lately?

Played there about two weeks ago. Echo what jsanatx said. In really good shape.

Anyone play Forest Creek recently?

I have not, but heard from a friend that the greens are really crap right now.

the only complaint I have about the Clay/Kizer complex is that I forgot my wedge on the range and no one turned it in, damn muni players :WTF:

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 718 AP2s
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey TVD 60*

the only complaint I have about the Clay/Kizer complex is that I forgot my wedge on the range and no one turned it in, damn muni players :WTF:

played a local muni sunday down here. found a 60* SM5 on the side of the green. returned it to it's rightful owner. told my playing partner if no one approaches us about it, i'll leave my name and number with the desk (a lot of young guys so who knows if he'll get it). he came by on the 18th tee. i know the feeling and thankfully someone returned it to me when i thought i lost one some time ago. NOW - i'm very careful and make sure i have all my clubs.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

I was out there last Saturday and its in great shape. Fairways are nice and I'd say 99% of the greens are in great shape.

Well that is good to hear for sure. Thanks.

Assuming we're talking about Kizer (I got confused whether it is it or FH) Clay is also in good nick right now. I was really happy with the shape of it on the weekend. Much better than Mo Willys greens, which were pretty awful last time out.

F.T.