2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Golfers in Austin, TX

epmonies

Great thread. Thinking of buying a place in Austin and looking to maybe join a club. A friend recommended Austin CC, but let me know your thoughts on:

1. Is a private club needed in Austin?

2. What is your thoughts on the best.

Don't worry about location as I haven't decided yet, although I'm looking around UT, downtown.

Austin Country Club is an exclusive private club with 6 figure initiation fees and a 10 year waiting list to join......In other words, good luck. Glad I have a hook up to play it on occasion.

A more reasonably priced private club with probably the nicest course and amenities around the Austin, Central TX area is Cimarron Hills. I've played there several times now and will be playing again around Xmas.

Thanks for the 411. I don't consider myself any better than others, just want to find a nice place to play. Also I would be looking for an international/nonresident membership for wherever I find, so we shall see. Appreciate the help.

You initially indicated you were looking to live near UT or downtown. Twin Creeks is not very convenient to either of those locations. ACC is the most convenient but as has been stated I believe they have a waiting list - but might not apply to international membership or to UT affiliated personnel. You could always contact them.

Yes, ACC is old school money and "connected" type of membership. You would be able to rub elbows with the social elite at that club.

The Dominion family of courses are very much worth playing if you go with Twin Creeks. Onion Creek is where the original Champions Tour event was played (they now have 27 holes) and all the other courses are very nice.

I understand but am not certain - but the Austin Golf Club is very much a golf oriented club more down to earth and not so political as other clubs might be. Not so much geared for the wives and kids and social events that you might expect from a top end Golf club - so if you have family you want to make sure to check out that aspect. I also hear it is the best club for a "true" golfer - but I have never been lucky enough to have Ben C. invite me out for a round.

As Thug Hunter indicated you should absolutely check out Cimarron Hills, it is a ways out from UT but a great place to live. Spanish Oaks is another top end club that is more convenient to downtown and is an ACC type club.

Should also check out the UT Golf Club at Steiner Ranch (it is not owned by or affiliated with UT - but the UT golf team does train there). It is a fantastic course and neighborhood to live.

Good luck on enjoying the golf in Austin.

Edited to add:

If you also have Tennis players in the family you should check out Lost Creek. It is convenient to UT and downtown and is the best combined Tennis/Golf club in Austin. It is not top social elite but a very nice golf course and the Tennis is fantastic.

Tour Edge Exotics C721 driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft
BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W
TM Sim2 19* hybrid
Maltby KE4 Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft
Maltby TSW-KRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil 75 R flex/spinner shaft
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

I was under the impression that Austin golf club was a “you don’t ask us, we ask you” type of membership

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1540362-raholland71-witb/#entry16159836"]WITB[/url]
Titleist TS3 9.5*
Titleist TS3 15*
Titleist 818 H2 19*
Miura CB57 4-6
Miura MB001 7-PW
Vokey SM7 Raw 52*
Vokey V Grind 56*
Vokey Low Bounce K 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport Circle T

My friend said although ACC is his recommendation, he said that it is more old money and stuffy. He has only played there twice and is acquaintances with 1 member so don't want to put 100% stock in that opinion. I am not a big walker for golf as I have some plantar fasciitis, UGH! Comes and goes, thus takes away consistent walking options.

I have been looking at Twin Creeks and it comes with reciprocal playing priviledges 2x's a month at these places below, any feedback on them?

Reciprocal Club Privileges

The Sister Club Reciprocal benefit affords Golf Member and Spouse cart fee only access two (2) times a month at each of our Dominion Golf Group Properties. The benefit also includes half priced golf Guest fees, along with Fitness, Social and Dining club privileges. All tee time reservations are made through your Club’s pro shop 48 hours in advance.

Onion Creek Club

Onion Creek Club, located in Southeast Austin, is Austin's most historic golf club. Founded in 1974 by three­ time Masters Champion, Jimmy Demaret, and golf legend, Jimmie Connolly, Onion Creek Club has built a rich tradition of understated elegence based on quality and family values. Known as a shot­maker’s course, Onion Creek by design, plays at both a championship level and a Member level, providing an enjoyable challenge to golfers of any age or handicap.

www.onioncreekclub.com

The Dominion Country Club

The Dominion Country Club is an exclusive private club collocated with one of America’s top ten private gated communities. Located in the peaceful wooded Texas Hill Country just 20 minutes from San Antonio, the Club offers the very finest facilities, service and amenities.

www.the-dominion.com

River Place Country Club

River Place Country Club is nestled in the Hill Country with a championship 18-hole, Tom Kite designed signature golf course, surrounded by the awe-inspiring beauty of nature combined with a multitude of exceptional recreational activities.

www.riverplaceclub.com

Lantana Golf Club

Lantana Golf Club is nestled in the gently rolling hills of southern Denton County and is characterized by its unique architecture and breathtaking natural setting, inspired by the beauty of the Texas Hill Country. Designed by the world renowned team of Jay and Carter Moorish, Lantana's course maximizes the wooded terrain and natural beauty of the land creating an unparalled setting.

www.lantanagolf.com

Bridlewood Golf Club

Bridlewood Golf Club is located in the rolling hills of southern Denton County. The signature golf course is known for its great beauty and equal challenge at every level of play. Measuring 7,000 yards from the championship tees, the course tempts golfers with 25 acres of lakes and meandering Timber Creek. Bridlewood is the first daily fee golf course joining the Dominion Golf Group portfolio.

www.bridlewoodgolf.com

The Dominion is a badass golf course. Just to give you an idea of price though, a few San Antonio Spurs live on that golf course. With your list, I guess price isn't an issue or maybe you just aren't aware of the prestigious golf courses you aspire to join.

Dominion isn’t a bank breaker to join

FYI Twin Creeks have a deal going on now for some of you.... FYI it is another 1k initiation and 45 bucks a month for the sister club option described above.

Join The Golf Membership for ONLY $4,500 - Join by December 31st and PAY NO DUES Until March 1st. This membership is all-encompassing of every amenity, including: unlimited golf with no green fees, 10-acre practice facility with no range or ball fees, complimentary tennis access, pools, fitness center, complimentary aerobic classes, dining and social activities & events and preferred access and pricing for banquets and events. Monthly golf dues are $450.

Join The Junior Executive Golf Membership for ONLY $2,500 - Join by December 31st and PAY NO DUES Until March 1st. This Membership is available for those under the age of 39. Privileges for Junior Executive Golf Members are the same as Full Golf Members listed above but the dues are only $325 per month. Full Golf dues become payable the month of the 39th birthday.

You initially indicated you were looking to live near UT or downtown. Twin Creeks is not very convenient to either of those locations. ACC is the most convenient but as has been stated I believe they have a waiting list - but might not apply to international membership or to UT affiliated personnel. You could always contact them.

Yes, ACC is old school money and "connected" type of membership. You would be able to rub elbows with the social elite at that club.

The Dominion family of courses are very much worth playing if you go with Twin Creeks. Onion Creek is where the original Champions Tour event was played (they now have 27 holes) and all the other courses are very nice.

I understand but am not certain - but the Austin Golf Club is very much a golf oriented club more down to earth and not so political as other clubs might be. Not so much geared for the wives and kids and social events that you might expect from a top end Golf club - so if you have family you want to make sure to check out that aspect. I also hear it is the best club for a "true" golfer - but I have never been lucky enough to have Ben C. invite me out for a round.

As Thug Hunter indicated you should absolutely check out Cimarron Hills, it is a ways out from UT but a great place to live. Spanish Oaks is another top end club that is more convenient to downtown and is an ACC type club.

Should also check out the UT Golf Club at Steiner Ranch (it is not owned by or affiliated with UT - but the UT golf team does train there). It is a fantastic course and neighborhood to live.

Edited to add:

If you also have Tennis players in the family you should check out Lost Creek. It is convenient to UT and downtown and is the best combined Tennis/Golf club in Austin. It is not top social elite but a very nice golf course and the Tennis is fantastic.

No tennis playing for me. I'm single, no kids. Just want golf really. We'll see what ACC responds with and then I'll check out the others you mentioned Cimmaron etc. Thanks so much for the tips.

I was under the impression that Austin golf club was a “you don’t ask us, we ask you” type of membership

100000% accurate. Going looking for information and you’ll be blacklisted in a heart beat. If you’re interested they’ll find you. Saw this happen many of times during my time in Austin ?

Edited to add:

No tennis playing for me. I'm single, no kids. Just want golf really. We'll see what ACC responds with and then I'll check out the others you mentioned Cimmaron etc. Thanks so much for the tips.

Last I heard the waitlist for ACC was over 3 years. I hope for your sake that this has changed

Ping G410+ Motore Speeder Tour Spec 73X
TM M4 3W GD Tour AD Di 9x
TM M4 5W GD Tour AD Di 9x
NCW 4 - PW Ti S400
54 & 58 TVD Ti S400
Toulon San Diego

I heard recently that Lakecliff is going to be closing at the end of the year. Is there any truth to that?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1540362-raholland71-witb/#entry16159836"]WITB[/url]
Titleist TS3 9.5*
Titleist TS3 15*
Titleist 818 H2 19*
Miura CB57 4-6
Miura MB001 7-PW
Vokey SM7 Raw 52*
Vokey V Grind 56*
Vokey Low Bounce K 60*

Also just stumbled onto Austin Golf Club in Spicewood, althought I can't find their website. A new private course or was in 2001 when it apparently opened. Any feedback on this? Thanks.

You’ll never find any information on the internet. One of the hardest courses in the world to get on. Invitation only membership.

Ping G410+ Motore Speeder Tour Spec 73X
TM M4 3W GD Tour AD Di 9x
TM M4 5W GD Tour AD Di 9x
NCW 4 - PW Ti S400
54 & 58 TVD Ti S400
Toulon San Diego

Also just stumbled onto Austin Golf Club in Spicewood, althought I can't find their website. A new private course or was in 2001 when it apparently opened. Any feedback on this? Thanks.

You'll never find any information on the internet. One of the hardest courses in the world to get on. Invitation only membership.

Its not close to one of the hardest courses in the world to get on but it is the toughest in Central Texas. Great course but not memorable IMO. Ben is always around and up for a chat, that part is very cool.

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1

I decided to get a 3pm tee time at WolfDancer for Thursday - should give me plenty of time to get to downtown, get my rental car, grab a bite of lunch and then get to the course..... So long as its not busy, I'll be able to finish in time... also, Ill get there early and see if they let me tee of early... most courses aren't real strict if its not busy, so fingers crossed

For saturday, i found a smoking deal on GolfNow for La Cantera - Palmer in San Antonio... i read great things about it, and felt like it might be worth the 90 min drive.... $55 and i had a GN promo code, so i paid under $50 for it

I should also note - - - my flight comes into AUS at 11:20am on Thursday, but I will have to get a cab/uber into downtown, and then get my rental car... I will look into moving my car to the airport, but for whatever reason, when i rented it, it was WAY more expensive from the airport than from downtown.

So I'd guess the soonest I could play on thursday would be the 2pm range... if 5:30 is sunset, i probably don't wanna play too much later than that anyhow.. I'm a 5 handicap currently and play quite quickly, but golf etiquette of allowing faster/better players to play through has been lacking over the last couple years, so my frustration has been growing - so i rarely count on the ability to jump past groups.

05, keep in mind that it gets dark here at 5:40 this time of year. You might not get a whole lot of golf in. Cold and raining this TH.

Thanks.... I'm hoping they'll let me get out earlier than 3, since the tee sheet is wide open... I"m thinking i could be there and ready to play by 2pm... I've played 18 in as little as 2 hours, but I can definitely play in 2:30 if there's no one holding me up...

As for the weather - no worries... I live in upstate NY. If I didn't wanna play in the 50's, my golf season would be about 2-3 months long each year, if i'm lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
Playing Wolfdancer at 8am tomorrow, hoping i don't get rained out. idealgolfer has a coupon for $49 rounds right now. Holler if anyone wants to join.

What kind of shape is it in? I’ll be out there Wednesday morning

Titleist TS3 9.5*
Titleist TS3 15*
Titleist 818 H2 19*
Miura CB57 4-6
Miura MB001 7-PW
Vokey SM7 Raw 52*
Vokey V Grind 56*
Vokey Low Bounce K 60*

Playing Wolfdancer at 8am tomorrow, hoping i don't get rained out. idealgolfer has a coupon for $49 rounds right now. Holler if anyone wants to join.

What kind of shape is it in? I’ll be out there Wednesday morning

It was pretty wet yesterday. I also played there on Saturday. It’s in great shape, as always. Since it’s winter, it’s not super green everywhere. The greens were like concrete on Saturday, even my best struck wedge shot wasn’t biting much, but the rain softened them up.

I’ve never had anything bad to say about that course, it’s always in great shape. Though, pace of play sucked on Sunday since it was cart path only.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Lakecliff is still open? I heard rumors of the course closing down but wanted to know if anyone has some knowledge.

Taylormade M3 9.5° Tour AD DI 6S
Taylormade M5 15° PF V2 6F4
Taylormade M3-r 17° PF V2 F4-S
Titleist 913h 21° Diamana S+ Blue 82HY
Titleist 714 AP2 PX 6.0
Titleist SM7 Raw 46°, 54°, 60° PX 5.5
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Does anyone know if Lakecliff is still open? I heard rumors of the course closing down but wanted to know if anyone has some knowledge.

Lakecliff CC is currently shut down by the owner who is trying to sell it to investors. There is a group interested and the paperwork is in progress but we won't know if it will happen and, if it does, when the course will reopen.

From a CTGA member email

Titleist TS3 9.5*
Titleist TS3 15*
Titleist 818 H2 19*
Miura CB57 4-6
Miura MB001 7-PW
Vokey SM7 Raw 52*
Vokey V Grind 56*
Vokey Low Bounce K 60*

Lakecliff CC is currently shut down by the owner who is trying to sell it to investors. There is a group interested and the paperwork is in progress but we won't know if it will happen and, if it does, when the course will reopen.

From a CTGA member email

Gotcha - Thanks for the info! It's too bad.. I love that place and the greens..

Titleist 714 AP2 PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

My buddy is a member of Twin Creeks CC in Cedar Park and I've played the course several times. Its an awesome course. Don't know about the membership, but I'm sure its easy to find out. The club is first rate.

That's where I'm at. Happy to answer any questions.

Twin creeks is damn near impossible to walk

True. I play with a couple of guys who ride the front nine and walk the back.
[size=3]PING G400 Max 9° Aldila X-Torsion Copper 60S
Callaway GBB Epic 3 UST Mamiya Recoil 450 ES F4
Callaway GBB Epic 3, 4 UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue 5-AW True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300
PING Glide 2.0 54° SS, 58° ES AWT 2.0
Toulon Garage Columbus
TaylorMade 2017 TP5[/size]

My buddy is a member of Twin Creeks CC in Cedar Park and I've played the course several times. Its an awesome course. Don't know about the membership, but I'm sure its easy to find out. The club is first rate.

The routing on the back does send you back down the hill and then back up again to the clubhouse right?

I'd discounted TC based on what looks like its "damn near impossible to walk" ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

The routing on the back does send you back down the hill and then back up again to the clubhouse right?

I'd discounted TC based on what looks like its "damn near impossible to walk" ;)

Yes but the down is all between 10 and 11 and the up all between 18 and the clubhouse. Staff leaves carts around for those who want to walk other than those parts.
[size=3]PING G400 Max 9° Aldila X-Torsion Copper 60S
Callaway GBB Epic 3 UST Mamiya Recoil 450 ES F4
Callaway GBB Epic 3, 4 UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue 5-AW True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300
PING Glide 2.0 54° SS, 58° ES AWT 2.0
Toulon Garage Columbus
TaylorMade 2017 TP5[/size]

• 2 weeks later...

Falconhead was in great shape on Tuesday - fast. All this rain must be helping because their winter greens have been the best I’ve seen in several years.

Also, wanted to gauge interest in putting together another outing for golf among us Austinites. I’ve gotten out with a few of you guys already so figured I’d put another one together. Thinking end of February timeframe. Chime in if you’re interested.

/ep

Titleist 714 AP2 PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

If I'm in town, I should be down for a round :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.