2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Golfers in Austin, TX

epmonies

I call anything north of 183 "South Dallas," and most of this "Austin" thread is really about South Dallas courses—especially the Sun City tracks in Georgetown.

Austin divided! I don't even consider anything South of the 183 corridor and think of those courses as ones not worth making the trip for. Mostly all of them are city owned courses anyway. Now if they let City of Austin employees play City of Austin courses for discounted green fees, I may consider playing one or two on occasion. Since they don't, I'll stick to North Austin/South Dallas courses.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

What do yall think about Plum Creek?

One of my favorite public tracks in the area. Green fees are in the $55 range on the weekend and the course is usually in pretty good shape. It winds through a residential neighborhood in a few spots but overall it's a solid course with some memorable holes here and there.

What do yall think about Plum Creek?

They used to have the best greens for a public course in the austin area a few years ago. They also used to have the most rattle snakes but all that changed when TXST made it its home course. They re-routed the course and cleaned it up. Not sure how the greens handle the additional play but I have a feeling they are still great. They have a lot more housing on the course now. It used to be the best course no one knew about but that all changed with south austin/north hayes county developement and will get worse with 45 opening up soon.

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1

• 2 weeks later...

Plum Creek has tremendous greens and is a challenging course with a fun routing. Easily one of the best courses in the Austin area, IMO.

And ThugHunter, wow.

Mo Willie and Kizer are two of the best tracks in Austin, despite the fact they come with the psychological taint of being municipal courses. Jimmy Clay is also in remarkably good shape and remains a solid test of golf.

North of 183, the only courses worth a damn are Star Ranch, Teravista, Avery Ranch, and Legacy, and Legacy is 45 minutes away from central Austin, making it a non-starter.

Avery Ranch is Austin's official home of the 5 hour round (thank you, very specific type of clientele!). I really like Star Ranch and Teravista, but both courses are relatively expensive and also 25 minutes from central Austin in no traffic.

Finally, Star Ranch would be one of my favorite courses in Austin if it weren't for their stupid, all-inclusive pricing. Everyone who plays there subsidizes their daily buffet, cart program, and driving range.

I don't want to pay for things I don't use, and the buffet and cart are at the top of that list.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Mo Willy and Kizer are in overseed mode at the moment.

Unfortunately I didn't find out about Mo Willy till I got there. Shoulda left, at least our group was good-humoured about it. Less good-humoured about the group in front who wouldn't let us through, eventually while both groups were on the 10th tee at the same time, we just passed them and went to 11.

Delaware Springs are currently redoing their fairway bunkers, making for a bunch of GUR, but who finds a bunker on their big fairways anyways ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

• 3 weeks later...

Fairly new WRXer here, I play at Star or Shadowglen at least once a week and try to get out to Wolfdancer as often as i can. Always looking to play with other decent golfers, since i usually get paired up with total hacks. Occasionally I'll make my way over to Falconhead or up to Teravista.

Let me know if some of you local guys are playing any time soon, I've never played most of the courses listed on this thread. Always good to try out new tracks. :smilie_Titleist:

Let me know if some of you local guys are playing any time soon, I've never played most of the courses listed on this thread. Always good to try out new tracks.

I try to get out 3 days a week (with a weekday bias over weekends because I hate 4.5+ hour rounds); let's do this thing!

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Don't live in Austin, but will be visiting the area from 12/7 - 12/10 for a work conference... I fly in on Thursday the 7th, and I"m hoping to get in a twilight round in the afternoon. Then, I would likely just do my work conference on Friday and I planned to play on Saturday as well. Its possible that I could get in 2 rounds on Saturday, but that kind of depends on whether or not the day is long enough. Here in upstate NY, the playable day is only about 7:30 - 4:30 right now - i'm not sure if you guys have some extra daylight or not.

Either way, i'm looking for some suggestions from the local experts. I'm all about bang-for-the-buck, but I definitely want to play nice courses so i don't mind spending a few $$ either.

Generally speaking, my research has led me to chose between Falconhead, Wolfdancer, Omni Barton Creek Canyons and Vaaler Creek.

I"ll be staying right in downtown near the convention center. What would you all recommend? Not sure when courses in TX aerate

I'm open to someone tagging along as well!

TIA

Sunset this week is around 5:30PM so depends on arrival time to determine how much drive time you have for a twilight round. Wolfdancer is not far from the airport if you are renting a car - great course.

Again - two rounds on Saturday means not much drive time between courses or play same course twice. Any of the courses you named would be great - but some of them might be crowded on a Saturday - might want to check with the course. Vaaler creek might be the least crowded and it is a great course to play twice in a day.

Weather is looking like around 58 degrees and cloudy on 12/7 but Saturday looks very nice at this time. Good luck, hope you enjoy Austin.

Tour Edge Exotics C721 driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft
BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W
TM Sim2 19* hybrid
Maltby KE4 Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft
Maltby TSW-KRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil 75 R flex/spinner shaft
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

Onion Creek has 27 holes, close to downtown and on GolfNow. I'm playing there this Sat, so will report back on conditions.

Wolfdancer is your best best for Thu twilight. Its 30 min from the airport...and always in good shape. Plan B could be Roy Kizer, our best muny, 15 min from airport, and $25 twilight.

If you can get access to Barton Creek, and don't mind spending $$...that would be the ticket for Sat. Also could do Falconhead in AM, and Lakecliff in PM with 30 min. between courses.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

I should also note - - - my flight comes into AUS at 11:20am on Thursday, but I will have to get a cab/uber into downtown, and then get my rental car... I will look into moving my car to the airport, but for whatever reason, when i rented it, it was WAY more expensive from the airport than from downtown.

So I'd guess the soonest I could play on thursday would be the 2pm range... if 5:30 is sunset, i probably don't wanna play too much later than that anyhow.. I'm a 5 handicap currently and play quite quickly, but golf etiquette of allowing faster/better players to play through has been lacking over the last couple years, so my frustration has been growing - so i rarely count on the ability to jump past groups.

If you're starting from downtown, then I'd just head south to Roy Kizer. It'll be cheap, easy to get to, and for my money a great value, fun course. One of my favorites in Austin.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I should also note - - - my flight comes into AUS at 11:20am on Thursday, but I will have to get a cab/uber into downtown, and then get my rental car... I will look into moving my car to the airport, but for whatever reason, when i rented it, it was WAY more expensive from the airport than from downtown.

So I'd guess the soonest I could play on thursday would be the 2pm range... if 5:30 is sunset, i probably don't wanna play too much later than that anyhow.. I'm a 5 handicap currently and play quite quickly, but golf etiquette of allowing faster/better players to play through has been lacking over the last couple years, so my frustration has been growing - so i rarely count on the ability to jump past groups.

Renting a car from the airport or inside the city limits of Austin, they charge a "Rental Fee Tax" that's why I would always rent from Round Rock. Also check out Plum Creek. Played it a few weeks ago and its in great shape.

Ping G410+ Motore Speeder Tour Spec 73X
TM M4 3W GD Tour AD Di 9x
TM M4 5W GD Tour AD Di 9x
NCW 4 - PW Ti S400
54 & 58 TVD Ti S400
Toulon San Diego

Thanks everyone...

Realistically, 2 rounds on Saturday prob isn't practical... I shouldn't have anything to do, but I do have to check in around 8am to make sure no last minute surprises showed up for my volunteer work from Friday... so even if I started at 10, it doesn't seem practical to get 36 in at two different courses....

What about Star Ranch on Saturday? I've read it has free replay and free lunch... so I wouldn't feel bad if I only did 27 or whatever

You can probably do Kizer and Clay on the same day, they are in the same complex next to each other and are different. Kizer is open, more of a links style course and Clay has trees. Both are in good shape for being munis.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

Thanks everyone...

Realistically, 2 rounds on Saturday prob isn't practical... I shouldn't have anything to do, but I do have to check in around 8am to make sure no last minute surprises showed up for my volunteer work from Friday... so even if I started at 10, it doesn't seem practical to get 36 in at two different courses....

What about Star Ranch on Saturday? I've read it has free replay and free lunch... so I wouldn't feel bad if I only did 27 or whatever

Star Ranch is always in great shape...and a fun course. Do they do the replays on Saturday? Avery Ranch is also another solid choice. Don't forget about Onion Creek either.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

Great thread. Thinking of buying a place in Austin and looking to maybe join a club. A friend recommended Austin CC, but let me know your thoughts on:

1. Is a private club needed in Austin?

2. What is your thoughts on the best.

Don't worry about location as I haven't decided yet, although I'm looking around UT, downtown.

My buddy is a member of Twin Creeks CC in Cedar Park and I've played the course several times. Its an awesome course. Don't know about the membership, but I'm sure its easy to find out. The club is first rate.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

Great thread. Thinking of buying a place in Austin and looking to maybe join a club. A friend recommended Austin CC, but let me know your thoughts on:

Don't worry about location as I haven't decided yet, although I'm looking around UT, downtown.

What's your definition of needed? :)

That said you have the spare funds to buy a place and membership in Austin, then absolutely get a membership at ACC. Looks really cool watching it on tele and driving past it. Not sure how easy of a walk it is though. Long-termers will know better than me, but Onion Creek in South Austin looks to be the only private that is readily walkable if that is of interest at all. Most, including Twin Creeks (which is NW of downtown) are routed around housing estates and better navigated in a cart.

F.T.

Twin creeks is damn near impossible to walk

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1540362-raholland71-witb/#entry16159836"]WITB[/url]
Titleist TS3 9.5*
Titleist TS3 15*
Titleist 818 H2 19*
Miura CB57 4-6
Miura MB001 7-PW
Vokey SM7 Raw 52*
Vokey V Grind 56*
Vokey Low Bounce K 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport Circle T

My friend said although ACC is his recommendation, he said that it is more old money and stuffy. He has only played there twice and is acquaintances with 1 member so don't want to put 100% stock in that opinion. I am not a big walker for golf as I have some plantar fasciitis, UGH! Comes and goes, thus takes away consistent walking options.

I have been looking at Twin Creeks and it comes with reciprocal playing priviledges 2x's a month at these places below, any feedback on them?

Reciprocal Club Privileges

The Sister Club Reciprocal benefit affords Golf Member and Spouse cart fee only access two (2) times a month at each of our Dominion Golf Group Properties. The benefit also includes half priced golf Guest fees, along with Fitness, Social and Dining club privileges. All tee time reservations are made through your Club’s pro shop 48 hours in advance.

Onion Creek Club

Onion Creek Club, located in Southeast Austin, is Austin's most historic golf club. Founded in 1974 by three­ time Masters Champion, Jimmy Demaret, and golf legend, Jimmie Connolly, Onion Creek Club has built a rich tradition of understated elegence based on quality and family values. Known as a shot­maker’s course, Onion Creek by design, plays at both a championship level and a Member level, providing an enjoyable challenge to golfers of any age or handicap.

www.onioncreekclub.com

The Dominion Country Club

The Dominion Country Club is an exclusive private club collocated with one of America’s top ten private gated communities. Located in the peaceful wooded Texas Hill Country just 20 minutes from San Antonio, the Club offers the very finest facilities, service and amenities.

www.the-dominion.com

River Place Country Club

River Place Country Club is nestled in the Hill Country with a championship 18-hole, Tom Kite designed signature golf course, surrounded by the awe-inspiring beauty of nature combined with a multitude of exceptional recreational activities.

www.riverplaceclub.com

Lantana Golf Club

Lantana Golf Club is nestled in the gently rolling hills of southern Denton County and is characterized by its unique architecture and breathtaking natural setting, inspired by the beauty of the Texas Hill Country. Designed by the world renowned team of Jay and Carter Moorish, Lantana's course maximizes the wooded terrain and natural beauty of the land creating an unparalled setting.

www.lantanagolf.com

Bridlewood Golf Club

Bridlewood Golf Club is located in the rolling hills of southern Denton County. The signature golf course is known for its great beauty and equal challenge at every level of play. Measuring 7,000 yards from the championship tees, the course tempts golfers with 25 acres of lakes and meandering Timber Creek. Bridlewood is the first daily fee golf course joining the Dominion Golf Group portfolio.

www.bridlewoodgolf.com

Austin Country Club is an exclusive private club with 6 figure initiation fees and a 10 year waiting list to join......In other words, good luck. Glad I have a hook up to play it on occasion.

A more reasonably priced private club with probably the nicest course and amenities around the Austin, Central TX area is Cimarron Hills. I've played there several times now and will be playing again around Xmas.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

My friend said although ACC is his recommendation, he said that it is more old money and stuffy. He has only played there twice and is acquaintances with 1 member so don't want to put 100% stock in that opinion. I am not a big walker for golf as I have some plantar fasciitis, UGH! Comes and goes, thus takes away consistent walking options.

I have been looking at Twin Creeks and it comes with reciprocal playing priviledges 2x's a month at these places below, any feedback on them?

The Sister Club Reciprocal benefit affords Golf Member and Spouse cart fee only access two (2) times a month at each of our Dominion Golf Group Properties. The benefit also includes half priced golf Guest fees, along with Fitness, Social and Dining club privileges. All tee time reservations are made through your Club’s pro shop 48 hours in advance.

Onion Creek Club

Onion Creek Club, located in Southeast Austin, is Austin's most historic golf club. Founded in 1974 by three­ time Masters Champion, Jimmy Demaret, and golf legend, Jimmie Connolly, Onion Creek Club has built a rich tradition of understated elegence based on quality and family values. Known as a shot­maker’s course, Onion Creek by design, plays at both a championship level and a Member level, providing an enjoyable challenge to golfers of any age or handicap.

www.onioncreekclub.com

The Dominion Country Club is an exclusive private club collocated with one of America’s top ten private gated communities. Located in the peaceful wooded Texas Hill Country just 20 minutes from San Antonio, the Club offers the very finest facilities, service and amenities.

www.the-dominion.com

River Place Country Club

River Place Country Club is nestled in the Hill Country with a championship 18-hole, Tom Kite designed signature golf course, surrounded by the awe-inspiring beauty of nature combined with a multitude of exceptional recreational activities.

www.riverplaceclub.com

Lantana Golf Club

Lantana Golf Club is nestled in the gently rolling hills of southern Denton County and is characterized by its unique architecture and breathtaking natural setting, inspired by the beauty of the Texas Hill Country. Designed by the world renowned team of Jay and Carter Moorish, Lantana's course maximizes the wooded terrain and natural beauty of the land creating an unparalled setting.

www.lantanagolf.com

Bridlewood Golf Club

Bridlewood Golf Club is located in the rolling hills of southern Denton County. The signature golf course is known for its great beauty and equal challenge at every level of play. Measuring 7,000 yards from the championship tees, the course tempts golfers with 25 acres of lakes and meandering Timber Creek. Bridlewood is the first daily fee golf course joining the Dominion Golf Group portfolio.

www.bridlewoodgolf.com

The Dominion is a badass golf course. Just to give you an idea of price though, a few San Antonio Spurs live on that golf course. With your list, I guess price isn't an issue or maybe you just aren't aware of the prestigious golf courses you aspire to join.

Onion Creek Club

www.onioncreekclub.com

www.the-dominion.com

River Place Country Club

www.riverplaceclub.com

Lantana Golf Club

www.lantanagolf.com

Bridlewood Golf Club

www.bridlewoodgolf.com

The Dominion is a badass golf course. Just to give you an idea of price though, a few San Antonio Spurs live on that golf course. With your list, I guess price isn't an issue or maybe you just aren't aware of the prestigious golf courses you aspire to join.

I only pointed them out as they are reciprocal access for ACC. I'm not thinking of joining them, just wanted to see what feedback on that portfolio guys had, as it could raise the value of the membership certainly.