Average Driver distance

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big boomers are a small percentage of the populous.

Is that 200-220 driver distance? I would venture for most amateur "weekend" golfers it's fairly normal, although with modern advanced technology you are probably leaving 20-30 yards on the table. You might benefit greatly from a fitting.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='Elmjoe' timestamp='1339280050' post='5058798']
Ok I'm guess I'm near a "senior" status. 48 y.o., been playing 5 years. Average SS I'm sure, and I usually hit it about 200-220 yds. So is this a good distance for a player of my age? It seems like the younger posters on here act as if they hit their 9 iron that distance! :derisive:
[/quote]

You're about average.

http://golf.about.com/od/beginners/l/blclubdistance.htm

Handicap:  3

I'm 59, and have a ss somewhat below 90. Until recently I used a 12* offset driver and got 200 - 215, with an occasional wind-aided long one. Recently I got a 10.5* driver that I'm having reshafted as we speak, for which I hope greater things. (!!)

Driver: Alpha Golf C830.2 10.5*; Fujikura XLR8 R
3 wood: Cally X-hot, PX- R
5 wood: Louisville Golf persimmon Niblick PX-R
7 wood: Louisville Golf persimmon Niblick PX-R
4-PW: KZG Evolutions Nippon NP Pro 950 - R
52*, 56* KZG Evolutions TT Dynalite S
Odyssey Sabertooth
Srixon Q-Star Tour

I'm 50, not all that flexible, and I deliberately slow my driver swing to increase accuracy. I'm on par with your distances, except when I get to a Grand Canyon type par-5, and vanity gets a hold of me. On a good day, with all of my good-luck chips cashed in and some borrowed, I have hit it south of 250. But with so many things going on to prevent perfect storms from happening, I try to tame those demons down to stay in the fairway.

FWIW, I'm 42, 5'5" and average around 220-240. Somedays, I do get it out 250+ though. I could probably get a bit more yards by tweaking my driver for more roll, but at my length, I prefer to carry hazards. you can't rely on rolling through hazards....

What's in the Swift X?
Ping driver
Callaway fairways
Ping irons
TM ball
SeeMore mFPG

I'm 55 and had a total hip 4 years ago. Then a total shoulder 2 years ago. I'm a 12 index with new Ping G20 driver. I hit it from 250 to 260 and have had a few 300 yard drives when the moon aligns with something good. But the G20 irons are great. I hit the 8 iron 150 yds. again. Haven't done this in the last 7 or 8 years.
Thanks Ping

Age 45 - with persimmon I'm getting 220 yards average, and 240 if I flush it, and the occasional bluebird up to 280. With metal (Titleist 983K) about 240 yards average, and 270 if I flush it, and one humdinging 305 last week.

Driver swing speed is a smooth 90mph these days. 15-20 years ago you could add 30 yards to that metal average (Callaway Warbird, and then Great Big Bertha at the time) but I am down about 1/3 on strength and flexibility in that time, mainly because I spend more time in the pub than the gym these days ... (in fact no time at all in the gym lol)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 70 and my index is 12 from the middle tee. I play around 50 rounds a year and I have a nice, controlled and accurate game, and can hit every club in the bag. Never left or right and never lose any golf balls. Good smooth tempo and good form. Only problem I have is distance with my Driver. I can't carry it any longer than 210 yards. My normal shot shape is R to L, so I do get roll out and depending on the fairway condition can pick up additional yardage from that. The distance started to go when I turned 65. Don't notice any loss with irons because I can always take one more club. However, sadly, there is nothing in my bag longer than my Driver. (LOL)

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I am 46 and ss is 112-116 and this is after rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders! and i get about 275 carry with rollout near the 300 mark. Almost every round I can measure(gps) at least 2 drives that are over 300. I do surprise a lot of people with my distance as I am not in great shape, 255lbs at 5'11". lol

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

Ok I'm guess I'm near a "senior" status. 48 y.o., been playing 5 years. Average SS I'm sure, and I usually hit it about 200-220 yds. So is this a good distance for a player of my age? It seems like the younger posters on here act as if they hit their 9 iron that distance! :derisive:
[/quote]

im also 48 this year and have a SS of 114 and drive it around 270-280

i guess im not normal

[/quote]

"Your" age of 48 has nothing to do with your driving distance. Unless you where a Pro you have not reached "senior" status and would see a reduction in yardage due to age. A Pro might see a distance loss at 48 since they were hitting it so far to begin with. But playing for only 5 years, you can still gain distance with the proper equipment and proper swing. Distance change from age 43 to age 48 will be tiny IF you where hitting it long to begin with.

Alot has to do with. your swing, the loft of your driver, length of your driver, and shaft flex. You'll need to experiment with them all to get optimum distance for "you". You don't mention your handicap but if it is over , say 80, you may need more loft on the driver. Lots of people hurt themselves distance wise by not playing more loft. Leave the 8* drivers to the Pros. I'm a 3 index, 58 years old and until about 4 weeks ago was using a 12* driver. I've advanced enough with my driver setup and swing that I am now using a 10.5* and have gained about 10 yards on average, just over 250 average now with a few 280's in there. If I had made the switch last year I would have lost distance as the driver would not have fit my setup or swing.

You can gain distance with changes in swing, driver loft, shaft length and shaft flex. Age at this point is a non factor. Good Luck.

I'm 65 and on average I'm hitting it 230-235. Sometimes a bigger one. Sometime 220, 225. Main thing to remember is that every drive is not going the same distance every time. Drives, like all shots are affected by slope, fairway conditions, time of year, ball you use, humidity, and all the other things that affect distance outside of the club.

I am nine years older, and hit the ball significantly further than you describe. Seriously though, I think contributing factors like strength, flexability, swing efficency, etc., play more into it that your age. GIven that you have not been playing that long, have you had any lessons?

If you want to get longer, try finding a teaching pro who can help you add a few more yards. Just remember though: 220 center cut is much preferable to 240 in the deep stuff... :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

• 1 month later...

At age 60 I never thought I would still be playing this well. Index is currently 0.7 and an average drive is somewhere between 265 and 270. Carry is usually over 250 with a big one going over the 265 carry mark. Makes the younger a bit crazy when the old guy keeps up with them.

For your experience level your distance is about average from what I see if you have any athletic ability at all. Take the advice already shared and get fitted for your driver, heck for all clubs. It will be worth it in distance and enjoyment of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, getting older doesn't mean you can't hit the ball well. But like when you are middle aged, you have to be in decent shape and also you really need to maintain core strength and your flexibility. Neither of these are usually associated with ageing in modern America, but I have played with much older gents who swim or play tennis, ride a bike - that sort of nonsense - and they could drive 240 plus without any issues.

But like keeping a low handicap -- how dedicated to it are you, especially measured over time? It's kind of the same with your fitness. :)

yeah

[quote name='Tarkata' timestamp='1344471717' post='5433352']
Well, getting older doesn't mean you can't hit the ball well. But like when you are middle aged, you have to be in decent shape and also you really need to maintain core strength and your flexibility. Neither of these are usually associated with ageing in modern America, but I have played with much older gents who swim or play tennis, ride a bike - that sort of nonsense - and they could drive 240 plus without any issues.

But like keeping a low handicap -- how dedicated to it are you, especially measured over time? It's kind of the same with your fitness. :)
[/quote]

I am 76 and had a right hip replaced in Frebruary. I'm still experimentiing with drivers. My irons are ap2 with 5.5 shafts. So far, I can hit the razor CALLAWAY 10.5. With an A. Shaft about 230 carry before rollout. I can get about 240 net if I turn it over and land on a dry fairway. My buddy, Leroy , is 74 and carries it 20 to 30 yards farther with a
Nike sumo round 10 degree.

Charley penna

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm 50 and have been playing for 37 years. My average drive carries 240 - 245 and with roll I average 255. And Just to soothe some of your age worries, know that I am hitting it 10 yards further than I was at age 47, due firstly to finding a driver that fits, secondly to staying in shape, and thirdly to being longtime friends with Slicefixer. My current index is 1.4, and I play with a 44" Titleist 975L-FE driver, which in the metal age is considered small and old school at just 350cc. (When drivers grew beyond 350cc I thought the golf world had lost its collective mind.)

Lastly, know that you will gain yardage simply from making better and more consistent contact. And you might well find -- as I did -- that the standard 45" and 45 1/2" drivers that manufacturers are turning out do not give you more distance than a shorter club, primarily because of the more centered contact and easier-to-swing nature of a shorter driver. I reduced mine in 1/4" increments until it felt just right, the tweakage enhanced by adding strips of lead tape to the head in order to maintain swingweight as overall length decreased.

Good luck to you. This is still the greatest game, regardless of age..

[quote name='xgolfx' timestamp='1344632019' post='5446570']
[quote name='Tarkata' timestamp='1344471717' post='5433352']

[/quote]

I am 76 and had a right hip replaced in Frebruary. I'm still experimentiing with drivers. My irons are ap2 with 5.5 shafts. So far, I can hit the razor CALLAWAY 10.5. With an A. Shaft about 230 carry before rollout. I can get about 240 net if I turn it over and land on a dry fairway. My buddy, Leroy , is 74 and carries it 20 to 30 yards farther with a
Nike sumo round 10 degree.

Charley penna
[/quote]

Charley, you are my hero man. That's fantastic.

yeah

was going to post until i read everyones post and thought to my self these guys that are 40+ that have been playing golf for years...could give a sh!t less that a 24yr old drives the ball X distance..lol

Great job to you guys, i love getting paired up with that guy that hits a driver about 240 then spanks my a$$ with a 2ft from the hole approach shot

• 2 weeks later...

[s][u]52
Razr fit 8.5 stiff
Average 260 tee
But routinely drive 300 yard par 4's
My ss only 100
But going after it
I got plenty of reserve
I play sea level near beach
So thats worse area for distance
I didnt play for long time
Just playin again
Im above average for my age
But plenty of champ pros still 110+ ss
Unless u r tall
90 ss probably little above average for that age
Basically
100 shooters drive 180
90 drive 200-220
80 shooters 240+
u get relief in tees at 50
But pga pushing tee it forward
220 yard drives
U should b at tees that are 6000 range
I play 6400 tees now
But still get around 6700 tees
So tee it forward puts u in whites most courses
I play blue usually
Play from tees u are hitting 7i on approach par 4
Ur 7i probably 130
So 220 drive
130 7i
Thats the right distance for u [/u][/s]

Hi Elmjoe, lets get back to the original post. This is a spot for the classic golfer so I assumed you are using a classic driver, persimmon or laminate, and a ball to suit the club. If that is the case then 200-220 yards is pretty good.
Modern bats and ammo, well thats a toss and like many say, this style of 'golf' it depends how flexible you are and how many hours you put in at the gym. Skill has rather less of an input.