2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

No one at my club recognizes Japanese clubs!.!..!??!

Tenngolfer

[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1339384830' post='5064768']
[quote name='Mattco' timestamp='1339384586' post='5064744']
[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1339382146' post='5064530']
BTW to the OP no one EVER cares what other people are playing.

[color=#ff0000]This is not even close. Lots of people take not notice what other people are playing and
not just JDM.[/color]

[/quote]

I agree. I always notice what people I am playing against are playing and always have. It doesn't help because I have seen some good players playing crap gear and have seen awful players swinging some ridiculous gear. A friend of mine had taken about 15 years off from the game and came back out to play, he had about three clubs without a grip on them and his putter head came off with a couple holes left, he shot 66 that day.
[/quote]

Remind me not to bet your golf buddies. 66 after that kind of layoff is just scary.
[/quote]

now that he is back to playing he plays to about a +2 handicap. Their club championship is played from the normal tees and they make him play from the tips to balance the field and their member guest, he is the only person I have seen them give a + handicap to and still make him play from the tips. He played college golf and him and several of his friends have actually played Augusta through an old caddy program.

As for not knowing Miura, I don't blame them. Not a big name and not out there on tour. Pretty sure I might be the only set of Miura irons within 100 miles of me.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1339384830' post='5064768']
[quote name='Mattco' timestamp='1339384586' post='5064744']
[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1339382146' post='5064530']
BTW to the OP no one EVER cares what other people are playing.

[color=#ff0000]This is not even close. Lots of people take not notice what other people are playing and
not just JDM.[/color]

[/quote]

I agree. I always notice what people I am playing against are playing and always have. It doesn't help because I have seen some good players playing crap gear and have seen awful players swinging some ridiculous gear. A friend of mine had taken about 15 years off from the game and came back out to play, he had about three clubs without a grip on them and his putter head came off with a couple holes left, he shot 66 that day.
[/quote]

Remind me not to bet your golf buddies. 66 after that kind of layoff is just scary.
[/quote]

9 holes? because you are exaggerating a bit with that and the club championship thing.

I think I may be the same here with my miuras. We have a few guys at my track who play for some of the colleges in the region. Some of them are crazy good so I don't doubt it about your friend. The other day one of them played with us and he made 8 birdies. 6 of them were consecutive. He seemed like he was just casually interested in the match at hand lol.

Wow..some very well thought out points being presented in this thread. :to_become_senile:

As for the topic at hand, I am always eyeballing peoples gear and often times I will strike up a conversation about it. Especially if you get paired up with someone that you don't know. It's something that you both can relate to and it can help ease the tension for all parties. Plus, It's always fun to chat about gear that you're proud of.

As for a self righteous braggart starting a thread in order to gain attention...you might want to head on over to the 19th Hole to the "Ask Thrillhouse" thread because if you are looking here, it is no where to be found.

To the OP--Keep doing your thing..every time I think about potentially getting some nice JDM stuff I think of Wayne and Garth down on their knees screaming "WERE NOT WORTHY!!" Then I pure my 15 year old forged GI Mizzys and the thought slowly dissipates. Maybe one day though... :wave:

[quote name='TripleGrindSole' timestamp='1339386218' post='5064882']

As for a self righteous braggart starting a thread in order to gain attention...you might want to head on over to the 19th Hole to the "Ask Thrillhouse" thread because if you are looking here, it is no where to be found.

[/quote]

You mean the thread where I make jokes about various things? Yeah, thats a fair comparison, maybe you should have tried reading it before you posted this comment. Thanks. :WTF:

Just cannot beat the look, quality and feel of Japanese forged head, whether that be in irons or drivers. I just recently got into Japanese irons with Epon 502's...never heard of em before I hit em, but they made everything else I've ever played feel like complete junk. Soft, deadly accurate and just fun to hit.

Then bought an Epon 151 driver and improved my accuracy to the point where I rarely miss a fairway. Then picked up some chikara wedges used on eBay and they spin like nothing I've ever gamed before...my short game still sucks but no fault of my wedges! Then picked up a Miura K350 putter and its one of the finest crafted, nicest playing putter I've ever used.

I'm a big convert of JDM gear. Most excited I've been in a while about my clubs and resale value is actually very good.

Wow..some very well thought out points being presented in this thread. :to_become_senile:

As for the topic at hand, I am always eyeballing peoples gear and often times I will strike up a conversation about it. Especially if you get paired up with someone that you don't know. It's something that you both can relate to and it can help ease the tension for all parties. Plus, It's always fun to chat about gear that you're proud of.

To the OP--Keep doing your thing..every time I think about potentially getting some nice JDM stuff I think of Wayne and Garth down on their knees screaming "WERE NOT WORTHY!!" Then I pure my 15 year old forged GI Mizzys and the thought slowly dissipates. Maybe one day though... :wave:
[/quote]

I never tried mizzies till the 59s... I see now why they have a cult following so to speak. I switched from hogans to those and wow... I was missing out. Don't get me wrong I put up some darn good scores with the hogans, but if the other mizunos feel as good or better than these I would not want to switch either. :-)

[/quote]

Hmmm...the plot thickens. Do tell

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1339387594' post='5065024']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe you should go over there and actually read it. Much like yourself Triplegrindsole is trolling for a fight because thats what he does on this site. Here, ill even make it easy for you, it will give you guys something else to do, maybe even calm you down a little!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/652636-ask-thrillhouse/

Nothing to see here.

Yikes! That is one UNFUNNY thread you've got going on there. You seem to be one of those guys who thinks he's funny but sadly is not.
Now as for calling a couple people here trolls, let's just recall who originally came her to rain on the OP's parade. Now that was anything but funny as well.
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1339387723' post='5065044']
[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1339387594' post='5065024']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe you should go over there and actually read it. Much like yourself Triplegrindsole is trolling for a fight because thats what he does on this site. Here, ill even make it easy for you, it will give you guys something else to do, maybe even calm you down a little!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/652636-ask-thrillhouse/

Nothing to see here.
[/quote]

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1339388951' post='5065124']
Yikes! That is one UNFUNNY thread you've got going on there. You seem to be one of those guys who thinks he's funny but sadly is not.
Now as for calling a couple people here trolls, let's just recall who originally came her to rain on the OP's parade. Now that was anything but funny as well.
[/quote]

Oh come on swisstrader, you know its hilarious, you just want to fight.

I think you should calm yourself down a little, maybe pour yourself a rum and coke, and enjoy the 20 pages of legendary comedy that is ask thrillhouse!

That and stop derailing this guys thread. JDM equipment! Whaddaya say!

Funny, I am interested in equipment "on line" but in the real world I barely even notice what is my playing partners bags. I play with a few guys that have Miuras, and the most we have talked about them is: Me "nice clubs, do you like them?" them "Yes."

I think they'd probably take notice of some nice 5-star Honmas without you having to point them out, especially if it was sunny!

I'd game some JDM equipment only because they have the coolest names. The Crazy Royal Decoration comes to mind here. It is a tragedy that the name is not spelled out in block letters on the shaft itself, so I'd have to be content with listing it in caps in the sig.

I love that the vast majority of golfers have no clue as to what I am playing.
People at the range/course have actually confused my irons with "Epson" the printer company.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 8* - Ventus Black TR 5x

3W -Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 7x

5W - TM Qi10 Tour - Ventus Black TR 7x

2i - Srixon ZX MK II Axiom 105X

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

54S SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

60T SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

People generally fit into one of three camps: a) those that don't care all that much about any gear, whether it be JDM or otheerwise and buy new gear every 10 years or so, b) club hos who buy and sell and trade in and out of a bunch of US domestic gear and c) club ho extraordinaires that are into high end gear and for them, the highest and best quality is Japanese gear or perhaps true tour only gear.

Same analogy for cars....there are those that are into Ford Mustangs and believe that's the ultimate car lovers car and those that are into lambos and Ferraris. To each his own.

I can't believe those morons could not recognize the awesomeness and superiority your bag had towering over every other bag there? Some people. You would think the large red and yellow S on the bag would have given the simpletons a hint. I mean c'mon, everyone knows that only the most sophisticated golfers would game the singular best tools ever made?

Maybe it was the 92 you posted that had them confused?

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1339433741' post='5067442']
I can't believe those morons could not recognize the awesomeness and superiority your bag had towering over every other bag there? Some people. You would think the large red and yellow S on the bag would have given the simpletons a hint. I mean c'mon, everyone knows that only the most sophisticated golfers would game the singular best tools ever made?

[/quote]

Nice of you to assume. No, I think it was the 76, no wait the 74, or no wait the 73 I posted before that that confused them. I am no pro but I am single digit.

FYI I never said anything about my bag being superior. The people I play with have in general spent a comparable amount on clubs as I have, just not on jdm. I just find it interesting that people haven't heard of jdm equipment outside of this forum. You deciding to make the simpleton comment is another false assumption considering I just posted earlier that i didn't even know about jdm until I discovered this forum.

For this to be a forum about golf equipment I am surprised at all of the trolling, picking fights, calling people liars, and just straight out a@@ hole posts. I thought golf was a gentleman sport lol. I have never once posted about my equipment being superior to anyone. I have even commented about how cool it is when someone posts great scores playing with super cheap or old clubs.

Yes I do think it is cool to have some quality equipment that no one cares about or knows bout, makes it all the better.

I tell you what, come down from Ohio and visit us redneck simpletons in Tennessee, since that's what you think we are, let's go play 18 holes. if I break 92 you have to stitch a giant "S" on your bag, and if not I will on mine.

Hell being that I am so filthy rich and have all of ths extravagant, no wait, "sophisticated" equipment I will even pay your green fees.

I love constructive and fun convos about golf equipment... :-)

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1339436087' post='5067692']
I've never seen a set of Miura's, and if you get out of the forum world, I'll bet that not one golfer in 100 even knows about JDM equipment.
[/quote]

I think you are right. I am fairly certain no one at my local track has anything like miura, or epon etc.

I used to write cigar reviews for a short-lived magazine where most, if not all, of the reviews were done on a blind taste test (no branding, etc). You learned to judge things on their construction, taste, complexity, etc. After one of my reviewing rounds I ranked a $2 dominican bundled cigar higher than one of the trendy cigars coming out of Cuba. The lesson I learned: everything is subjective and you have to find the niche that works for you; hype and the opinions of others be damned.

I play a mixed bag of JDM and domestic. I really don't agree with either side of this debate. I could care less if people don't know who made my clubs. I also don't assume, as some in this thread have, that people that play JDM equipment are status whores. Hell, I moved to JDM equipment because Bridgestone stopped making blades, so I moved to their Tourstage counterparts.

To end the rant: everyone is a different, special and unique snowflake and should be less concerned with other people and more concerned with finding the equipment that makes them enjoy the game of golf... whatever the origin.

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='JakeBarnes' timestamp='1339436612' post='5067754']
I used to write cigar reviews for a short-lived magazine where most, if not all, of the reviews were done on a blind taste test (no branding, etc). You learned to judge things on their construction, taste, complexity, etc. After one of my reviewing rounds I ranked a $2 dominican bundled cigar higher than one of the trendy cigars coming out of Cuba. The lesson I learned: everything is subjective and you have to find the niche that works for you; hype and the opinions of others be damned.

I play a mixed bag of JDM and domestic. I really don't agree with either side of this debate. I could care less if people don't know who made my clubs. I also don't assume, as some in this thread have, that people that play JDM equipment are status whores. Hell, I moved to JDM equipment because Bridgestone stopped making blades, so I moved to their Tourstage counterparts.

To end the rant: everyone is a different, special and unique snowflake and should be less concerned with other people and more concerned with finding the equipment that makes them enjoy the game of golf... whatever the origin.
[/quote]

Do tell, how do you like the tour stage? I like their looks.

[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1339436152' post='5067698']

[/quote]

Nice of you to assume. No, I think it was the 76, no wait the 74, or no wait the 73 I posted before that that confused them. I am no pro but I am single digit.

FYI I never said anything about my bag being superior. The people I play with have in general spent a comparable amount on clubs as I have, just not on jdm. I just find it interesting that people haven't heard of jdm equipment outside of this forum. You deciding to make the simpleton comment is another false assumption considering I just posted earlier that i didn't even know about jdm until I discovered this forum.

For this to be a forum about golf equipment I am surprised at all of the trolling, picking fights, calling people liars, and just straight out a@@ hole posts. I thought golf was a gentleman sport lol. I have never once posted about my equipment being superior to anyone. I have even commented about how cool it is when someone posts great scores playing with super cheap or old clubs.

Yes I do think it is cool to have some quality equipment that no one cares about or knows bout, makes it all the better.

I tell you what, come down from Ohio and visit us redneck simpletons in Tennessee, since that's what you think we are, let's go play 18 holes. if I break 92 you have to stitch a giant "S" on your bag, and if not I will on mine.

Hell being that I am so filthy rich and have all of ths extravagant, no wait, "sophisticated" equipment I will even pay your green fees.

[/quote]

Dude, you have made several posts that are very contentious at best. Your 73 doesn't scare me as i shot 70 Saturday, so yeah maybe we should play for equipment. I will sell yours on ebay when we are finished. LOL

When you make arrogant comments on the net, be prepared for people to call you out that's all. I wasn't the first, and probably won't be the last as more people read your title, and your "ferrari" comments etc. By the way, my brother has two "ferrari's" and they do not impress me either.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude, you have made several posts that are very contentious at best. Your 73 doesn't scare me as i shot 70 Saturday, so yeah maybe we should play for equipment. I will sell yours on ebay when we are finished. LOL

When you make arrogant comments on the net, be prepared for people to call you out that's all. I wasn't the first, and probably won't be the last as more people read your title, and your "ferrari" comments etc. By the way, my brother has two "ferrari's" and they do not impress me either.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1339438322' post='5068004']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Um, I never made a Ferrari comment, and I never made any statements about your game, or your equipment.

YOU are the one posting about your 70, and YOU are the one posting about your brother that has 2 ferraris.

Hmmm... Maybe I am contentious and maybe it takes one to know one lol...

Lol...since I am contentious, why would I play you for your poor quality domestic sticks. That is a joke. Lol... In case you thought that was contentious too lol

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1339377936' post='5064064']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1339377487' post='5064006']
[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1339376607' post='5063930']
HUH??!! The guy never said a word about the cost of JDM clubs, just the excitement of having them and the fact that most don't have a clue what they are. I did not view it as a braggart post in the least.
[/quote]

meh, i said my piece about it and as far as im concerned its resolved. im not gonna talk about it again unless the op does.
[/quote]
Sure, throw a stink bomb out there, ignite fuse and then walk away. Very mature
[/quote]
Personally, I think thrillhouse read between the lines effectively and presented his argument well, from his beginning to his ending. I felt exactly the same as he does but his presentation was so much better than any I could come up with, so I stayed out.
There was no stink bomb and no fuse. Except for the one you seem to have at your keyboard.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat