Hogan's folding left arm post impact - was it a key?

[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1343657122' post='5377136']
[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1343656498' post='5377090']
I know why 8 iron but you guys are the smart ones with all the answers so how about you enlighten us all

And how far is several? And has his head gone down or out or both?
[/quote]

[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1343656498' post='5377090']
I know why 8 iron but you guys are the smart ones with all the answers so how about you enlighten us all

And how far is several? And has his head gone down or out or both?
[/quote]

But you were so adamant that only forearm rotation was going on!!! Now you want to get into how much the head is moving and where ? Kinda blows a hole in your previous post .
Btw I'm curious as to why that teeace guy posted that you were banned from wrx , what name or names were you posting under before?
[/quote]

Good old you with your 1 line quips and chucking out questions like it somehow illuminates........... it seems to impress some people here a lot.

............ contradiction from Bradley aside, the picture clearly shows the arms rotating the club deeper before any discernible movement of the lower body and no head drop........... its a valid observation.

Just explain what your points/observations are so it contributes to the discussion, and make them clearly and cut out the quasi-guru vagueness......... give us a theory please and try and back it up........... no ones ever 100% right but at least they have a crack at saying something substantive.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valid observation? Go get a slo motion line drawing program and put a bunch of hogan swings on it and you will notice a lot more going on than some forearm motion , that's even debatable , it easily could be a result of right shoulder external rotation . Besides that it's only 1 frame of reference , get a face on view and clearly there is cog's shifting forward etc , this has all been posted many times before , I have no problem with you believing what you want to believe , but smell the coffee dim , you have zero right to tell me what or how to post . You don't like it ? So what , I couldn't give a chit what you think

[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1343661996' post='5377662']
Valid observation? Go get a slo motion line drawing program and put a bunch of hogan swings on it and you will notice a lot more going on than some forearm motion , that's even debatable , it easily could be a result of right shoulder external rotation . Besides that it's only 1 frame of reference , get a face on view and clearly there is cog's shifting forward etc , this has all been posted many times before , I have no problem with you believing what you want to believe , but smell the coffee dim , you have zero right to tell me what or how to post . You don't like it ? So what , I couldn't give a chit what you think
[/quote]

why don't YOU go get a face on view and enlighten us all?

I know you've cracked the code but us mere mortals are of simple minds and your patient guidance is all we require.............. I'll now crawl back into my hole suitably chastised.

btw Teeace once told me you apparently used to be the militant east Euro hostage taker that Officer John Mcclane dropped off the top of Nakatomi Plaza.......... if so, could you just tell me something, how did you survive the fall and have you changed your name from Hans Gruber?

[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1343652009' post='5376776']
[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1343651276' post='5376730']
Schlee's method I agree 100%. But Schlee's method is not what you're/Brad is saying.
[/quote]

You ever had a lesson from me?
You ever had a lesson from Schlee?

So...how would you know?.........

.....[b] I am certainly not going to give it all away am I............[/b]The serious [b]students who want to[/b] put in the work and [b]have lessons they get the whole enchilada......[/b]

[b]Out in internet world it's just a bunch of words[/b] that people can choose to decipher however they want
[/quote]

I wondered how long it would be before you said this! Couple of months ago, I stumbled onto a certain golf forum and saw an active thread called "Super Slotting", which looked very interesting. I proposed my method of micro-squatting to lay off the shaft and there were some interesting exchanges. Then the site owner said none of the methods discussed so far were the "real" one and so I asked him to further discuss at which time I was told he didn't give out "tips", and that the only way to super slot nirvana was to go through his "Modules". At some time after progressing through a certain Module, you will be permitted to start $uper $lot training. It can't be described you see, only "felt" by his enlightened guidance. You aren't smart enough to translate internet words into action on the range, but must pay up for his structured program. After laying out enough ca$h, you will have been infused with SuperSlot magic through his subliminal Module training.

Yes, Bradley, all your posts in this thread are just a bunch of words, carefully designed to entice prospective little $uper$lotters into le$$ons. :taunt:

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1343663483' post='5377784']
[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1343652009' post='5376776']
[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1343651276' post='5376730']
Schlee's method I agree 100%. But Schlee's method is not what you're/Brad is saying.
[/quote]

You ever had a lesson from me?
You ever had a lesson from Schlee?

So...how would you know?.........

.....[b] I am certainly not going to give it all away am I............[/b]The serious [b]students who want to[/b] put in the work and [b]have lessons they get the whole enchilada......[/b]

[b]Out in internet world it's just a bunch of words[/b] that people can choose to decipher however they want
[/quote]

I wondered how long it would be before you said this! Couple of months ago, I stumbled onto a certain golf forum and saw an active thread called "Super Slotting", which looked very interesting. I proposed my method of micro-squatting to lay off the shaft and there were some interesting exchanges. Then the site owner said none of the methods discussed so far were the "real" one and so I asked him to further discuss at which time I was told he didn't give out "tips", and that the only way to super slot nirvana was to go through his "Modules". At some time after progressing through a certain Module, you will be permitted to start $uper $lot training. It can't be described you see, only "felt" by his enlightened guidance. You aren't smart enough to translate internet words into action on the range, but must pay up for his structured program. After laying out enough ca$h, you will have been infused with SuperSlot magic through his subliminal Module training.

Yes, Bradley, all your posts in this thread are just a bunch of words, carefully designed to entice prospective little $uper$lotters into le$$ons. :taunt:
[/quote]

Is your world seriously that simple?

He's obviously an instructor with his own unique perspective on things, who has made it clear that he has a teaching program that you can sign up for.........

........... he's on forums and youtube to share his broad theories and entice prospective students which he makes a living from............ welcome to the real world where trailers influence you to visit the cinema, and adverts suggest you buy a car.............

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1343663981' post='5377834']

He's obviously an instructor with his own unique perspective on things, who has made it clear that he has a teaching program that you can sign up for.........

........... he's on forums and youtube to share his broad theories and entice prospective students which he makes a living from............ welcome to the real world where trailers influence you to visit the cinema, and adverts suggest you buy a car.............
[/quote]

Agreed.

Let's please move forward. It seems we can nitpick words when all 'anyone' wants is a 'freebie'.

The[i] 'super slotting' [/i]concept is very interesting. I believe that it is done in a manner that involves the whole body - everything from the 'ground' up. If one can understand the events that need to be in place before one begins to uncoil the pivot through the shot; they can then set them in place before the 'unloading' phase, or downswing begins. Hogan says the most important part of the swing to him was how you started down from the 'top of the swing'. After that, it's a [i]'free ride'[/i].

Secret is in the dirt

@Brad

If you don't like someone disagreeing with you don't post.

You and Schlee are clearly different based on your posts and his books and video which I both have. You got me at "Hogan having shallow shaft/hands plane/release, so he must have level shoulder turn". Plus the forearm rotation stuff causing the layoff...no-brainer.

Eightiron is right, exactly what I said. Shoulder started turning already--it was higher on top, last pic it's lower and have moved targetwards already. It has gone down and forward. The knees has also lost a bit flex already, it has started to move toward the target. At face on, as eight pointed out, you would see his hips has moved targetwards and his L side started to extend already. Hence his plane had flattened already. That's why the clubhead dipped. Not bec the forearms rotated. He maxed out his forearm rotation already in BS.

Now if you're going to present your ideas in a FORUM, and then someone disagrees with you, you would get sensitive and tell us you ant say them all...that that someone hasn't gotten lessons from you? Darn...what's up with the people nowadays...and this is not your house, so you're not gonna get favorable treatment/benefit of the doubt in here...were all equals.

Oh btw...I learned these stuff from tour players as well...and they've actually won...a lot...

[quote name='JBOMB808' timestamp='1343666617' post='5378096']

[/quote]

Agreed.

Let's please move forward. It seems we can nitpick words when all 'anyone' wants is a 'freebie'.

The[i] 'super slotting' [/i]concept is very interesting. I believe that it is done in a manner that involves the whole body - everything from the 'ground' up. If one can understand the events that need to be in place before one begins to uncoil the pivot through the shot; they can then set them in place before the 'unloading' phase, or downswing begins. Hogan says the most important part of the swing to him was how you started down from the 'top of the swing'. After that, it's a [i]'free ride'[/i].
[/quote]

Hogan is backshifting towards the target whilst this superslotting takes place............ this could be a somewhat independent motion that purely facilitates the chain reaction of his continuous swing............ or it provides material assistance to the super slotting process.................. quite frankly I don't know.

Not sure what the big deal or "secret" is. Almost all good players flatten the shaft in transition as has been discussed here for years. The two biggest contributors (depending on your BS pivot style) is either a lateral move of the lower body which establishes secondary axis tilt (Hogan's 5L illustration) and/or the "reconnecting" of the right elbow per Joe Dante, Harvey Penick, John Schlee, et. al. Which as Eightiron pointed out will result in external rotation of the right upper arm. Look at the target view video I posted earlier of that young man hitting a driver. I promise you he's not consciously adding forearm rotation in transition, it's a reaction to these other two things, and he's about as "super slotted" as it gets.

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1343667807' post='5378208']
[quote name='JBOMB808' timestamp='1343666617' post='5378096']

[/quote]

Agreed.

[/quote]

Hogan is backshifting towards the target whilst this superslotting takes place............ this could be a somewhat independent motion that purely facilitates the chain reaction of his continuous swing............ or it provides material assistance to the super slotting process.................. quite frankly I don't know.
[/quote]

Yes the COG shift will cause the layoff bec it provides a DOWN element into the hands/arms/club. But what people are missing is that you cannot turn your shoulders level at this point. Why? Because a more level turn will provide an OUT element into the hands/arms/club. That OUT element will throw the club out towarss the soace above the ball. To hit the ball you would have to pull it back inside and down, causing the shaft to steepen. To lay it off and get it down to elbow plane, you must provide more DOWN element into it--gravity and steeper shoulder turn. I've been saying that for so long, and I don't see any reason both visual and theoretical as to why people don't get this...lol

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1343667696' post='5378190']
@Brad

You and Schlee are clearly different based on your posts and his books and video which I both have. You got me at "Hogan having shallow shaft/hands plane/release, so he must have level shoulder turn". Plus the forearm rotation stuff causing the layoff...no-brainer.

Eightiron is right, exactly what I said. [b]Shoulder started turning already--it was higher on top, last pic it's lower and have moved targetwards already. It has gone down and forward. The knees has also lost a bit flex already, it has started to move toward the target. At face on, as eight pointed out, you would see his hips has moved targetwards and his L side started to extend already[/b]. Hence his plane had flattened already. That's why the clubhead dipped. Not bec the forearms rotated. He maxed out his forearm rotation already in BS.

Now if you're going to present your ideas in a FORUM, and then someone disagrees with you, you would get sensitive and tell us you ant say them all...that that someone hasn't gotten lessons from you? Darn...what's up with the people nowadays...and this is not your house, so you're not gonna get favorable treatment/benefit of the doubt in here...were all equals.

Oh btw...I learned these stuff from tour players as well...and they've actually won...a lot...
[/quote]

Hogan has backshifted, not rotated yet........... he has not started to extend the left side............ you could argue there is the beginning of compression during the slotting but not extension............. rotating the forearm back will cause a slight shoulder drop........... these are FACTS

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1343668060' post='5378236']
Not sure what the big deal or "secret" is. Almost all good players flatten the shaft in transition as has been discussed here for years. The two biggest contributors (depending on your BS pivot style) is either a lateral move of the lower body which establishes secondary axis tilt (Hogan's 5L illustration) and/or the "reconnecting" of the right elbow per Joe Dante, Harvey Penick, John Schlee, et. al. Which as Eightiron pointed out will result in external rotation of the right upper arm. Look at the target view video I posted earlier of that young man hitting a driver. I promise you he's not consciously adding forearm rotation in transition, it's a reaction to these other two things, and he's about as "super slotted" as it gets.
[/quote]

Thank goodness...

Hogan is backshifting towards the target whilst this superslotting takes place............ this could be a somewhat independent motion that purely facilitates the chain reaction of his continuous swing............ or it provides material assistance to the super slotting process.................. [b]quite frankly I don't know[/b].
[/quote]

He does a little power squat as he transitions which flattens the shaft a little. I call that "Superflattening" - now pm me for payment arrangements.

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1343668558' post='5378290']
@Brad

Eightiron is right, exactly what I said. [b]Shoulder started turning already--it was higher on top, last pic it's lower and have moved targetwards already. It has gone down and forward. The knees has also lost a bit flex already, it has started to move toward the target. At face on, as eight pointed out, you would see his hips has moved targetwards and his L side started to extend already[/b]. Hence his plane had flattened already. That's why the clubhead dipped. Not bec the forearms rotated. He maxed out his forearm rotation already in BS.

[/quote]

Hogan has backshifted, not rotated yet........... he has not started to extend the left side............ you could argue there is the beginning of compression during the slotting but not extension............. rotating the forearm back will cause a slight shoulder drop........... these are FACTS
[/quote]

Rotating the forearms cause shoulder drop?!? The L side starting to extend (L hip bending outwards) and R side starting to bend (R hip bending inwards) plus the actual start of turn of shoulders causes that (L shoulder higher on top bec Hogan turned L shoulder more than 90degrees). What have you been told lately NBD?

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1343668737' post='5378314']

Hogan is backshifting towards the target whilst this superslotting takes place............ this could be a somewhat independent motion that purely facilitates the chain reaction of his continuous swing............ or it provides material assistance to the super slotting process.................. [b]quite frankly I don't know[/b].
[/quote]

He does a little power squat as he transitions which flattens the shaft a little. I call that "Superflattening" - now pm me for payment arrangements.
[/quote]

Rofl

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1343668612' post='5378298']
[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1343668060' post='5378236']
[/quote]

Thank goodness...
[/quote]

BTW, Dante, Penick and Schlee ALL called it "the magic move" in their books. This idea has been around for decades.

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1343667983' post='5378222']
@Dim

You're being had...lol...Teeace, Dariusz...all missed the boat...lol

If you will read and understand eightiron's posts since 2008...(around 3k posts...lol..)...you'll actually gonnan learn a loooot....no need to pay 2k plus bucks per module...it's all been there...
[/quote]

What are you on about?

I'm not one of Bradley's students......... its called providing a service and if a person perceives there to be value there they will pay for that service........ if you don't want to then don't........... whats the big deal?

3k posts from just one poster! like everyone is going to sift through all that! Let alone whether they will understand any of it!

You need to get real......... everyone who teaches has a program........... Bradley is not trying to create Hogan copies......... he's trying to help certain golfers achieve a swings that shares similarities with the many good ballstrikers of yesteryear........... whether his system works for you is another matter.......... you might as well pan every instructor on the planet if you're going to follow that line of argument............. better yet they can come to you and you can point them to 20,000 posts on Golfwrx.

Try and read in between the lines about what I type............ if you can't watch some of Dariusz's videos and take some value from them (raw Hogan footage, whats the issue?) then I find it strange.......... it highlights Hogan's particularl idiosyncrasies if nothing else........... a bit like Sevam1 one will get a newbie thinking about ground forces or he might pick up a titbit about how Snead achieved his famed squat........... and whats Teeace got do with it?

......... and if its all been covered already then why are you here? surely you've got better things to do then point this out to idiots like me who can't sift through the Golfwrx archives? The debates clearly over as far as you are concerned, is there any point to this?

[/quote]

If you look at Sergio Garcia's 'down-shift' or start of the downswing, you'll see a very similar movement to Hogan's, however, his longer (more upright compared to Hogan) backswing requires some serious 'uncoil' action at the bottom and through, thus creating a little instability at times. If you watch Fred Couples, he provides an incredible 'down-shift' from an even longer backswing with a high flying right elbow to a deep 'lagged' (super slotted) position into impact. Freddy requires a much farther lateral move to accommodate his longer backswing and has to stop to 'collect' the ball and release his right hand properly, or [i]else [/i]it's going to be right of right or left of left. Of course the pros know how to stripe it because obviously they're pros and '[i]these guys are good[/i]' right? Not as 'good' as the 'master', but good none the less.

Secret is in the dirt

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1343668880' post='5378324']
[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1343668558' post='5378290']
@Brad

[/quote]

[/quote]

Rotating the forearms cause shoulder drop?!? The L side starting to extend (L hip bending outwards) and R side starting to bend (R hip bending inwards) plus the actual start of turn of shoulders causes that (L shoulder higher on top bec Hogan turned L shoulder more than 90degrees). What have you been told lately NBD?
[/quote]

As these are facts there's nothing left to discuss here................. thanks for your opinions though.............

So I just got back from the range after hitting 90 balls. I worked on this super slotting stuff. Here's what happened. I did try to feel like I was trying to make that move with my arms like Brad showed in his pics. Almost like my arms were just dropping straight down at the top of my backswing. The club felt deep. Then I just felt like I turned left, of course w/ a slight lateral motion first. I felt the club was in the "slot" perfectly. I feel like I was striking the ball as solid as it could be struck. So, since I had no video, I don't know what actually was going on. I have a feel for what I did but don't know how it looks. To me it felt like the Sergio move. I've watched his move many times and my mind felt that my body was doing a similar move. I'll get the video camera out this next week when I'm on vacation and have more time. I will say this, that swing thought works, whether that was what I was actually doing or not, I don't know, but it did help. I just felt like the club was in the slot every time. I only did this with a PW and SW. I'll try the driver next session. That should be really interesting b/c I've been driving the ball better than I ever have as of late. I will say this, when I played this past Saturday, I really caught several tee shots without swing really hard and the feeling I had when I hit hose balls was the same as the one I had on the range today. This should be interesting. Good thing I'm going to see Geoff for 3 days in a couple of months. He can tell me what's going on. I sure you guys will help me get it figured out before then. Also, this discussion is really great. Just everyone stay calm and don't take offense, etc. Let's all be civil and learn some stuff. Maybe you guys already know it, but I'd really like to learn it. I appreciated eveyone's knowledge and input.

$$$$

Good thing I'm going to see Geoff for 3 days in a couple of months. He can tell me what's going on. I sure you guys will help me get it figured out before then. Also, this discussion is really great. Just everyone stay calm and don't take offense, etc. Let's all be civil and learn some stuff. Maybe you guys already know it, but I'd really like to learn it. I appreciated eveyone's knowledge and input.

Good for you mate! Since you're apart of the slicefixer camp, you probably already know - when Geoff describes the left arm rotating back on the backswing, and NOT re-rotating forward on the downswing, that I would guess is the 'slot' you feel. He never mentions it *may* rotate *more* aka 'laid-off' on the downswing.

Ben%20Hogan%20Backswing.jpg

Secret is in the dirt

[quote name='chiva' timestamp='1343670292' post='5378476']
So I just got back from the range after hitting 90 balls. I worked on this super slotting stuff. Here's what happened. I did try to feel like I was trying to make that move with my arms like Brad showed in his pics. Almost like my arms were just dropping straight down at the top of my backswing. The club felt deep. Then I just felt like I turned left, of course w/ a slight lateral motion first. I felt the club was in the "slot" perfectly. I feel like I was striking the ball as solid as it could be struck. So, since I had no video, I don't know what actually was going on. I have a feel for what I did but don't know how it looks. To me it felt like the Sergio move. I've watched his move many times and my mind felt that my body was doing a similar move. I'll get the video camera out this next week when I'm on vacation and have more time. I will say this, that swing thought works, whether that was what I was actually doing or not, I don't know, but it did help. I just felt like the club was in the slot every time. [b]I only did this with a PW and SW[/b]. I'll try the driver next session. That should be really interesting b/c I've been driving the ball better than I ever have as of late. I will say this, when I played this past Saturday, I really caught several tee shots without swing really hard and the feeling I had when I hit hose balls was the same as the one I had on the range today. This should be interesting. Good thing I'm going to see Geoff for 3 days in a couple of months. He can tell me what's going on. I sure you guys will help me get it figured out before then. Also, this discussion is really great. Just everyone stay calm and don't take offense, etc. Let's all be civil and learn some stuff. Maybe you guys already know it, but I'd really like to learn it. I appreciated eveyone's knowledge and input.
[/quote]

You couldn't have pulled out the driver for a couple of balls! :dntknw:

[quote name='JBOMB808' timestamp='1343670095' post='5378452']
[/quote]

If you look at Sergio Garcia's 'down-shift' or start of the downswing, you'll see a very similar movement to Hogan's, however, his longer (more upright compared to Hogan) backswing requires some serious 'uncoil' action at the bottom and through, thus creating a little instability at times. If you watch Fred Couples, he provides an incredible 'down-shift' from an even longer backswing with a high flying right elbow to a deep 'lagged' (super slotted) position into impact. Freddy requires a much farther lateral move to accommodate his longer backswing and has to stop to 'collect' the ball and release his right hand properly, or [i]else [/i]it's going to be right of right or left of left. Of course the pros know how to stripe it because obviously they're pros and '[i]these guys are good[/i]' right? Not as 'good' as the 'master', but good none the less.
[/quote]

the thing I was referring to is backshifting which very few players have ever done............ by the way if you have an aversion to Dariusz J propaganda then look away now, it may warp you fragile little minds..........

[media=]http://youtu.be/ipRFcrQ37a4[/media]

though the clearest place might be here 1.34 - 1.36.......... where Hogan's reached the limit of his right leg pivot and is literally backing his arse lineally towards the target prior to rotating

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wpyAXvIDYw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wpyAXvIDYw[/url]

Good thing I'm going to see Geoff for 3 days in a couple of months. He can tell me what's going on. I sure you guys will help me get it figured out before then. Also, this discussion is really great. Just everyone stay calm and don't take offense, etc. Let's all be civil and learn some stuff. Maybe you guys already know it, but I'd really like to learn it. I appreciated eveyone's knowledge and input.

Good for you mate! Since you're apart of the slicefixer camp, you probably already know - when Geoff describes the left arm rotating back on the backswing, and NOT re-rotating forward on the downswing, that I would guess is the 'slot' you feel. He never mentions it *may* rotate *more* aka 'laid-off' on the downswing.

Ben%20Hogan%20Backswing.jpg

He'll still be getting a bill from Bradley - he can't give out the whole enchilada for free.

I'll check that out those vids when I get home nice'. 'Work' blocks all youtube clips :hunter:sucks. I think I understand though. The backshift you're talking about is the VJ Trolio method yes? Reverse lateral pivot so to speak? All very similar I think, basically a 'player's transition'.

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1343671564' post='5378620']
He'll still be getting a bill from Bradley - he can't give out the whole enchilada for free.
[/quote]

If you've never held a position as an educator, speak for yourself. Again, please relax and 'topic'.

Secret is in the dirt