2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Worst rule in golf

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard alot of complaints about divots, as in, balls coming to rest in them.

I think they should be considered ground under repair, and you should get relief. They will be filled later by the ground crew or another golfer. i think that makes them ground under repair.

Just a thought.

By the way I totally agree with the spike mark rule. It is good thing softspikes are used or it could be much worse.

I personally think that a divot OR unraked bunker are more like a 'ground under repair' than rub of the green. Rub of the green is landing in a burnt out area or a bad bounce. Landing in some hack's 3" deep divot or a bunker where someone hasn't been man or woman enough to rake the sand after they used it is just that - an area of the course that needs some attention.

BTW - there should never, ever be spike marks in a green nowadays. Only a-holes wear metal spikes anymore and most people, if caught, will be politely asked to remove them, then be kicked off the course - at least around here. The only other way is if someone grinds their shoe into the green - hopefully by accident - and doesn't take the time to fix it.

I think that the USGA should make a rule that says the bunkers are raked only at the start of the tournament. Guys are so great at fairway/greenside bunkers now that it's like bunkers are nothing. It's so easy for them to hit it close every time. Now if there are footprints and divots in them, it makes it so much harder. After all it is a HAZARD and you should penalized for hitting it in them.

I think that the USGA should make a rule that says the bunkers are raked only at the start of the tournament. Guys are so great at fairway/greenside bunkers now that it's like bunkers are nothing. It's so easy for them to hit it close every time. Now if there are footprints and divots in them, it makes it so much harder. After all it is a HAZARD and you should penalized for hitting it in them.

Me too!!!

So if you're in the first group teeing off.....you would have an advantage over the last group. ;) I don't think that would be the wisest of rules to change.

For me it's spike marks on the green. Ridiculous rule when you're following idiots that don't know how to pick up their feet.

So if you're in the first group teeing off.....you would have an advantage over the last group. ;) I don't think that would be the wisest of rules to change.

For me it's spike marks on the green. Ridiculous rule when you're following idiots that don't know how to pick up their feet.

It's just the same as spike marks...first group has less spike marks compared to last...rules aren't perfect.

The rule that penalizes you one stroke if your ball moves while you're standing within a clublength of it. You can hit out of a divot and still get decent results depending on the lie, but when you play on fast greens when the wind is up, you can get penalized for something that's clearly not your fault. It's not like my practice strokes on the green cause huge tremors and move the ball.

The rule that penalizes you one stroke if your ball moves while you're standing within a clublength of it. You can hit out of a divot and still get decent results depending on the lie, but when you play on fast greens when the wind is up, you can get penalized for something that's clearly not your fault. It's not like my practice strokes on the green cause huge tremors and move the ball.

No that's only if you have addressed the ball or if you grounded your club on a putt; that's why tour pros don't touch the ground on those tap ins...if you haven't it's not your fault and you're not penalized. At least I'm pretty sure that's the rule.

It's just the same as spike marks...first group has less spike marks compared to last...rules aren't perfect.

True rules aren't perfect but a ball landing in a dug in foot print in a trap is a whole lot harder to hit then over a spike mark.

True rules aren't perfect but a ball landing in a dug in foot print in a trap is a whole lot harder to hit then over a spike mark.

Ok I would agree about foot prints and divots, but not just slopes in the sand and little holes-not from balls or people.

No that's only if you have addressed the ball or if you grounded your club on a putt; that's why tour pros don't touch the ground on those tap ins...if you haven't it's not your fault and you're not penalized. At least I'm pretty sure that's the rule.

Really? I remember seeing Angel Cabrera standing a couple of feet from his ball, making some practice strokes (he was chipping), when his ball moved about an inch. A rules official was called and did penalize him a stroke, even though he hadn't adressed the ball. Or maybe I'm wrong and he got penalized from something else?

How do you decide when a divot is healed and you no longer get relief? I'm afraid people would stretch this to the point where a depression in the fairway or a thin lie is now a divot that's not fully healed.

I hate hitting from a divot, but it would be tough to decide when one is no longer a divot.

Really? I remember seeing Angel Cabrera standing a couple of feet from his ball, making some practice strokes (he was chipping), when his ball moved about an inch. A rules official was called and did penalize him a stroke, even though he hadn't adressed the ball. Or maybe I'm wrong and he got penalized from something else?

All I remember is one time on the PGA Tour Scott Verplank was taking practice strokes behind the ball, he got ready to address it and the ball started rolling down the hill. He was allowed to replace it w/o penalty, as he was deemed to have not addressed the ball.

I found it on USGA's website:

18-2b/1 Ball Moves After Stance Taken But Before Address

Q. Outside a hazard, the player took his stance but did not ground his club. The ball moved. What is the ruling?

A. As the player had not addressed the ball, he did not incur a penalty under Rule 18-2b (see Definition of “Addressing the Ball”).

If, however, the player caused the ball to move, he was subject to penalty and the ball should have been replaced — Rule 18-2a.

18-2 By Player, Partner, Caddie or Equipment

a. General

When a player’s ball is in play, if:

(i) the player, his partner or either of their caddies lifts or moves it, touches it purposely (except with a club in the act of addressing it) or causes it to move except as permitted by a Rule, or (ii) equipment of the player or his partner causes the ball to move,the player incurs a penalty of one stroke. If the ball is moved, it must be replaced unless the movement of the ball occurs after the player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the club for the stroke and the stroke is made.

Under the Rules there is no penalty if a player accidentally causes his ball to move in the following circumstances:

• In searching for a ball in a hazard covered by loose impediments or sand, for a ball in an abnormal ground condition or for a ball believed to be in water in a water hazard — Rule 12-1

• In repairing a hole plug or ball mark — Rule 16-1c

• In measuring — Rule 18-6

• In lifting a ball under a Rule — Rule 20-1

• In placing or replacing a ball under a Rule — Rule 20-3a

• In removing a loose impediment on the putting green — Rule 23-1

• In removing movable obstructions — Rule 24-1.

b. Ball Moving After Address

If a player’s ball in play moves after he has addressed it (other than as a result of a stroke), the player is deemed to have moved the ball and incurs a penalty of one stroke. The ball must be replaced unless the movement of the ball occurs after the player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the club for the stroke and the stroke is made.

I'm in favor of doing away with any stroke-and-distance rule.

With the onset of 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hr. rounds on tour, and with most people wanting to look for 15-20 minutes for a lost $4 - $6 dollar golf ball...

I'd like to see the rules change to where everyone in the group agree to look for 2 minutes for the ball, then if not found, the group agrees on the vicinity where it was lost, drop another and swing away.

This really could be pretty easy. Most players, golf professionals and superintendents know where the major trouble spots are on their respective golf courses and could set up several drop areas in those places so that there was no question as to where to drop...

Prolly a dumb idea, but it would surely speed up play at some places...

I think one of the worst rules is having to take a penalty drop if your ball finishes in a water-filled bunker. Another is no free drop from a plugged lie in the rough. Both these rules (or non-rules) can make winter golf in the UK difficult to score in!

I believe that Rule 25 of the R&A gives you relief from abnormal conditions in a bunker, with no penalty.

And over here, most clubs that I play at have instituted a "Winter Rule" for imbedded ball in it's own pitchmark through the green. Alot of courses are so soggy that balls are lost in the fairway in spots.

I think one of the worst rules is having to take a penalty drop if your ball finishes in a water-filled bunker. Another is no free drop from a plugged lie in the rough. Both these rules (or non-rules) can make winter golf in the UK difficult to score in!

I believe that Rule 25 of the R&A gives you relief from abnormal conditions in a bunker, with no penalty.

And over here, most clubs that I play at have instituted a "Winter Rule" for imbedded ball in it's own pitchmark through the green. Alot of courses are so soggy that balls are lost in the fairway in spots.

Agreed....Free drop from "casual water," even in a bunker. Cannot drop outside of the bunker or no closer to the hole. If the whole bunker has water, drop in the part that has 1/2" instead of five inches. The only time a penalty occurs if you drop outside of the bunker incurring one-stroke.