Salty Putter Grips

rlheiman

The Grip is ON! I can't say enough about Mark at Salty Grips. These guys understand customer service and that means a lot to me. I can say that I have never dealt with a company that watches after its customers so well. So hop on board before these guys are in top floor office suites. I see great things to come for these guys... I'm loving the feel of the grip and after removing the midsize Winn grip I had on it I lost about 30ish grams in the butt and I can feel the head sooooooo much better now. I also like that it promotes a light grip pressure. You kinda coddle it in your hands. Preliminary carpet rolls show signs of greatness but the truth will be set free after it sees active duty. And now for the goods.
[attachment=1832094:salty3.jpg]
[attachment=1832096:salty2.jpg]
[attachment=1832098:salty1.jpg]

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Yeah, they have intense customer service. I cannot remember the last time I ordered something on-line and got a hand-written thank you with it. I wish they made more products so I could advertise for them, I would love a Salty Grips bag towel or Umbrella!!! (Hint). I find myself wanting people to ask about my putter grip so I can tell them all about it and the company.

Edit: I want a "Gripped by Salty" Putter cover, Like... now!!!!

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1376367813' post='7665608']
^^ Yeah, they have intense customer service. I cannot remember the last time I ordered something on-line and got a hand-written thank you with it. I wish they made more products so I could advertise for them, I would love a Salty Grips bag towel or Umbrella!!! (Hint). I find myself wanting people to ask about my putter grip so I can tell them all about it and the company.

Edit: I want a "Gripped by Salty" Putter cover, Like... now!!!!
[/quote]
I would rock that swag.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

I played my second round on mine yesterday, I really cannot overstate the amount of feel this grip offers. People who are worried about the lighter weight of the grip, I have found that it really helps me feel the putter head better. I am pretty excited to continue to get more and more time with it.

I think if they could get one of these on a tour putter on television they'd be backordered for months.

The only reason I even knew about the grip is because a Friend of mine who works for a Golf Training facility had a Betti in their pro-shop area on the wall that had a Salty grip on it. I was immediately drawn to it as soon as I saw it, and ordered my first one that night.

I got to use the grip today for the first time in the rain, It rained for 10-11-12-13 and WOW, this putter grip doesn't slip when it's a little wet at all, after the 10th I didn't even think about keeping it dry, even with raindrops on it I still had a firm hold on the club with light grip pressure, Very nice stuff. Rolled a 37 Footer in for Birdie on the 15th - Salty was working in my favor on that one!

WITB Link

Played nine today and then hit the putting green for this first time with the new grip. I'm loving the grip. My distance control is fantastic and the feedback the cork gives is like no other grip I have felt before. You know EXACTLY where the ball struck the putter face. Deff let me know when I got lazy on a few putts. I can feel the weight of the head much more as well which I think contributed to my distance control. Love the velvety touch and the light grip it promotes. This is the first non-tapered grip I have ever used and I am a fan. I see this being my grip for future. Can't see a reason to play anything else.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

Salty Non-Taper Grip thoughts -- Alright now that I've had the Salty Non-taper grip on for 10 rounds; I am sold. It is the same cork feel and longevity as the original grip I had and now the shape offers stroke benefits. I finally see why Super Stroke has been so popular on tour. The Salty non-taper design is for real. I've found it really helps keep my right wrist from manipulating my putter stroke. I don't have a Super Stroke to take a picture of to compare it to, but I was at the store yesterday and the new Salty smaller grip is the same size as a Mid slim 2.0 grip.

P8144564.jpg

I found the greatest benefits of the new grip on the green. The lighter weight of the cork still allows me to feel the head better during the stroke. It lowers the balance point so the swingweight went up by installing this grip, and this really improves the feel. I've had my best putting rounds as of late with this grip on my putter. I feel really confident when lining up putts with the flat top of the grip right along the sight line. On long putts it seems easier to get the right touch because you can really feel the head and can let it swing like a pendulum and on short putts you can just give it a short stroke for a smooth stroke into the hole. The non-taper design really help take the hands out of the stroke and engage the shoulder for a better rocking pendulum stroke.

The grip texture is so smooth, I like it best without a glove. It doesn't have any tack to it so if you like that feel, it will certainly be a change, but I think the consistency of feel with this grip is awesome because it always feels the same, hot or cold, dry or humid, brand new or a year old, it doesn't wear like other grips rubber or leather ones.

The guys behind Salty grips offer great customer service so if you have a problem or question they will help you out. They also offer some cool custom laser engraving too as you can see from someone else pictures up above. Some of the big name putter companies are getting custom Salty grips for their putters too so you can get a matching grip for your Bettinardi right now and other brands in the near future.

P8144567.jpg

The one thing to keep in mind with Salty grips is taking your time on the installation or finding a club builder who will. If you bend the grip prior to installation it will break because it is not rubber. Also the new non-taper takes some additional tape to build up around the lower part of the grip as the inside of the grip is also non-taper yet the shaft most likely will be tapered or stepped. You also can't use air because it doesn't expand like a rubber grip does. But once it is installed you have nothing to worry about. I've had a Salty grip on my putter since the first post here and it is still in great shape, they simply don't wear out, they actually get better with age. The new shape is even better and they are exclusively going to the non-taper shape in two sizes. I love it, the new Salty grip has the same feel and longevity of their original cork putter grip and now the new shape makes it even better for putting.

b21effed-470b-453d-ac15-02331394de2e.jpg

[quote name='rouski12' timestamp='1376788639' post='7696196']
[sup][sup]The only thing I need now is a headcover![/sup][/sup]
[/quote]
Agree. I need a fancy putter cover that proclaims there is a Salty grip on the end of the stick.

WITB Link

Okay, so I played 27 holes today and I can say that the Salty Grip has completely changed my putter... for the BETTER! Again, the velvety feel of the cork is great, I now remove my glove when putting which I never cared to do before. Also, it rained for the entirety of my 27 holes today and I was curious as to how the cork would handle the wet conditions. It handled the rain like a champ. I would say that it seemed to absorb the moisture but I think that would be wrong because it never retained moisture or changed its feel/composition. It simply felt damp when i put it in my bag and dry by the next green. The water didn't affect anything, and I even laid it in the sopping wet grass numerous times without issue, it never once felt slick. Which I can't say about its rubber grip predecessors.

So I love how it feels, check. But the [i]putting feel[/i] is unlike anything else I've tried either. The head weight is felt through the entire motion and lets me know exactly what's going on in my back stroke and the moment of impact is transferred through the grip like a tuning fork. With my old grip I could tell you if I hit the sweet spot, toe, or heel. But the Salty actually feeds back everything so if it is sweet spot but slightly toe side, you know it. It really is hard to explain because I have never had that kind of feel off a putter before.

Finally, because of the aforementioned benefits of this grip, I am having the best distance control of my putting career. If I didn't hole the first putt then it was a close enough lag to comfortably knock it in. I averaged 1.66 putts today, which may seem merely mortal and be scoffed at by the wrx community, but it was great for me.

I was paired with three other guys this morning that I didn't know and one of them asked me if I had a cork grip. I told him yeah and handed him my putter as I talked about the grip and the excellent customer service offered by this young company. He gave it a grip and had one of those "AH" moments on his face and then looked at his Odyssey and said "I need to change my grip". So hopefully Salty will have another loyal customer soon.

I can't imagine going with any other putter grip moving forward. If you're hesitant, don't be. If you think it is expensive, then think of all the dough you spend on the rest of your equipment. Your putter is the one club you use on every hole and you're guaranteed not to slice/hook this one in the woods. Do your self a favor... Now I just gotta get a sweet headcover to rock like the guys above me said!

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

I agree with everything stated above me, Especially...
[quote name='kess13' timestamp='1376857734' post='7699848']
It really is hard to explain because I have never had that kind of feel off a putter before.
[/quote]
Exactly how I would try to describe it, I try to tell everyone I play with about the grip(If they don't ask first, most seem to ask about it) - You feel EVERYTHING before the ball is even 1" away from the face.

Bar-none I have never spent a better $35 on my golf game EVER.

WITB Link

Kind of makes me curious if a Tapered round Full-Cork Driver/Iron grip would work, perhaps with some sort of Underlisting to keep the weight around 45g close to a STD grip. I would positively try one out if the option was made available to me.

WITB Link

High quality grade A natural cork is very tough stuff, it does not deteriorate easily at all. Simple test, Grab one of my two Salty-Gripped putters and Swing like an iron. Yeah, It would work.

Super grade cork - [url="http://www.gregscustomrods.com/merchant/2463/images/zoom/cork916.JPG"]http://www.gregscust...oom/cork916.JPG[/url]

It's not like a cork bulletin board at all, where they are pieces of very small glued together cork. Grade A or 'Super grade' cork is extremely durable and resistant to many chemicals, weather conditions and abrasion. $1500-$3000 fly-fishing rods use it for a grip for a very good reason.

WITB Link

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1376862783' post='7700362']
High quality grade A natural cork is very tough stuff, it does not deteriorate easily at all. Simple test, Grab one of my two Salty-Gripped putters and Swing like an iron. Yeah, It would work.

Super grade cork - [url="http://www.gregscustomrods.com/merchant/2463/images/zoom/cork916.JPG"]http://www.gregscust...oom/cork916.JPG[/url]

It's not like a cork bulletin board at all, where they are pieces of very small glued together cork. Grade A or 'Super grade' cork is extremely durable and resistant to many chemicals, weather conditions and abrasion. $1500-$3000 fly-fishing rods use it for a grip for a very good reason.
[/quote]
Agreed. Mark says he is working with a super durable sealant for the butt cap to improve durability of the cap as well. Not that I have had an issues, but maybe a full dip would help for the iron/driver prospect?
I would say if they could stick the grip on a lathe a simulate a tour wrap then it would be plausible as I high speed grip. Not everybody has a GI Joe Kungfu grip like you Froth. ;)
But then, with consistent applied pressure the cork grips would eventually conform to your grip right? Would be interesting but may cause issues when choking down etc. Also, the end would be very thin and may be apt to split or tear after repeated use.

But if these grips catch on I'm sure these guys could figure out a way to make it happen. And I'd undoubtedly buy some to try.

Gotta figure out how to get in on the IPO when these guys hit it big...

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

Played my first round with the salty today. I am still getting used to it, and didn't have any miracle putts. My chipping wasn't great which left me with a lot of long putts. My lags were excellent though, often within 2 feet. This is an excellent product and I can't wait to become more acquainted.

Cobra Orange Bio Cell 'ahina 70
Adams 3446-F 16* Diamana Redboard 73 (Tour issue)
Adams Super LS XTD Fairway 19* Matrix 7X3 White Tie (Tour issue)
Adams Super Hybrid XTD Ti 21* Fubuki Axe
Ping i20 5-UW KBS Tour
Callaway X-forged MD C-grind 53* and 58* KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Squareback w/ Salty Jumbo

Finally chose what putter to attache this grip on today (been trying to decide between three putters which is going to be my main putter), and so far I'm not quite sure what I think of the grip yet... I like the feel of impact I get, and also the slightly louder sound it makes, but so far it's still a bit slippery for me.

I've sanded it a bit with 180 grit paper. Do you guys think it would be less slippery if I used a more textured sandpaper? And also, do they get less slippery with time? And if so, can you remember roughly how long it took before you started noticing a difference?

Thanks in advance!
Maximilian

[quote name='paul.r' timestamp='1377197907' post='7726774']
I'm interested in the grips, but with the lightweight material, is it recommended to change weights? I play a 33" Del Mar with the standard 20 gram weights. Would the grip throw off the weight too much or is it more of a trial and error thing?
[/quote]
Trial and error definitely, it makes the head "feel" heavier.

[quote name='Maximilian' timestamp='1377203272' post='7727278']
Finally chose what putter to attache this grip on today (been trying to decide between three putters which is going to be my main putter), and so far I'm not quite sure what I think of the grip yet... I like the feel of impact I get, and also the slightly louder sound it makes, but so far it's still a bit slippery for me.

I've sanded it a bit with 180 grit paper. Do you guys think it would be less slippery if I used a more textured sandpaper? And also, do they get less slippery with time? And if so, can you remember roughly how long it took before you started noticing a difference?

Thanks in advance!
Maximilian
[/quote]
I don't find it slippery at all, so that's a personal preference thing it seems. It gets better with age, and when it's wet/damp I find it actually gets even better. I didn't sand mine at all, kept it "stock".

WITB Link

Just curious but comparing SS grip sizes to this one.

Mid+ is 1.15 in diameter and 40 grams compared to the SS Slim 2.0 which is 1.20 and 45-55 grams. It's basically a lighter, slightly longer 2.0.
Oversize is 1.55 in diameter and 70 grams compared to The SS Slim 3.0 which is 1.30, 55-65 grams, or the Fatso 1.70, 85-95 grams. So basically the Oversized Salty is a slightly longer 4.0.

Do they suggest to people that use SS 3.0s to buy the Oversize and then sandpaper down to their specifications? I currently use a SS 3.0 and I'm very interested in this grip.

[quote name='FullOfBrushMan' timestamp='1377211113' post='7728024']
Just curious but comparing SS grip sizes to this one.

Mid+ is 1.15 in diameter and 40 grams compared to the SS Slim 2.0 which is 1.20 and 45-55 grams. It's basically a lighter, slightly longer 2.0.
Oversize is 1.55 in diameter and 70 grams compared to The SS Slim 3.0 which is 1.30, 55-65 grams, or the Fatso 1.70, 85-95 grams. So basically the Oversized Salty is a slightly longer 4.0.

Do they suggest to people that use SS 3.0s to buy the Oversize and then sandpaper down to their specifications? I currently use a SS 3.0 and I'm very interested in this grip.
[/quote]

I would email, Tweet, or Facebook these guys and ask this question. They are super fast at replying. I am not sure what the maximum recommended sanding is on these. It's cork all the way through, so I'd assume you could take off as much as you need, but there is a sealant that you might go below.

I spent some more time on the practice green today, then went out and played a round. Even if I'm not super comfortable with the slickness/dryness of the grip (it really isn't slippery as I said before, just feels as if it would be slippery, kinda, I think, maybe... ah I don't know, it just feels weird in my hands), I had an absolutely awesome putting day today! I've put this grip on a very light putter and I think I lucked in to getting it perfectly balanced for me on the first try. I don't know what the swing weight or the overall weight of the putter is, but it works perfectly for me!

So I'm definitely sticking with the grip and will make no adjustments to my putter and hope that with time, I will start feeling more comfortable with the texture/feeling of the grip as well.

Cheers,
M

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1377205634' post='7727516']
[quote name='paul.r' timestamp='1377197907' post='7726774']
I'm interested in the grips, but with the lightweight material, is it recommended to change weights? I play a 33" Del Mar with the standard 20 gram weights. Would the grip throw off the weight too much or is it more of a trial and error thing?
[/quote]
Trial and error definitely, it makes the head "feel" heavier.
[/quote]

Thanks.

Had my lowest number of putts all-year today(26) - I attribute this mostly to the Salty! Even managed to drain a 45 Footer for birdie!(Longest one-putt this year!) 10 putts on the back nine!

WITB Link

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/883086-ping-nometr-custom-salty-cork-grippics/

Love it, is the 1.55 jumbo version. and as many others have sadi these guys are quality to deal with, fast replys,postage( to Aussie for me) and customisations are no probs, just send them a photo!!
it will be a bagger for me for a long time i feel.
i did use a little 120 grit to improve the texture a little, it was a bit smooth to start with, but now pure. what a great idea. well done salty.