Salty Putter Grips

rlheiman

I asked Whit on Facebook last night if they were going to produce 17" grips, mainly for my Kuchar arm lock, but obviously fit any other need for longer grip. He said Bettinardi is testing them right now, hopefully they get the feedback they need soon. Would love to have a Salty Grip with Bettinardi stamped on it.

edit: Whit just replied again and said he talked to Kuchars tour rep and should have feedback soon!

I already like this company

Callaway XHot Pro 9.5 PX 6.0
Callaway XHot Pro 17 PX 6.0
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid
Mizuno MP 59 4-P KBS Tour S
Vokey SM5 50F / 54F / 58K
Kingston GSS KP1

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. It was delivered and I'm playing with applying lead tape under the grip to add weight back and to make up the step pattern under the grip. I've been applying a couple wraps and temp installing (small amount of double sided and friction) the Salty taking it to the practice green to see how I like it. I think I have added about 20 gram +/- under my hands.

I'm in no rush to perm install it (currently using a Yes! Holly). So I'll try to find some faster and slower greens just to see if the weighting is right. I'm also considering using a Tour Lock Pro to get the weight right. But just don't want to put a hole in this beauty.

But as many have said the feel off the putter is amazing. There's no rubber to deaden the feel. You know if you hit the sweet spot.

It feels slick but it never slips. It's really weird, but easy to have a light grip. I think if I can find the right balance it will be a keeper.

[quote name='Hbeaz15' timestamp='1383785752' post='8112712']
I asked Whit on Facebook last night if they were going to produce 17" grips, mainly for my Kuchar arm lock, but obviously fit any other need for longer grip. He said Bettinardi is testing them right now, hopefully they get the feedback they need soon. Would love to have a Salty Grip with Bettinardi stamped on it.

edit: Whit just replied again and said he talked to Kuchars tour rep and should have feedback soon!

I already like this company
[/quote]

This is awesome.

I'll take two please!!

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

• 2 months later...

Bumping this up.

I got tired of waiting for an Arm Lock version so I did the unthinkable and modified/combined two mid plus size salty grips to make a complete cork masterpiece. 21" of solid cork! Cut the top cap off one and the bottom cap off another and epoxied them together. I actually think 17" would be too short for the way I'm gripping the club but 21" works just right! The only thing that is sort of hard to swallow is that this is a $70 grip. However, worth it completely.

Introducing, likely the very first Arm Lock Salty! :)

saltyarm1.jpg

saltyarm2.jpg

I also rounded off both sharp edges of the flat front so it would smoothly fit into my hands, entire grip has been sanded with 80 grit then 220 grit. Overall putter length is 43.75" and overall weight is 611g. The total grip weighed in at 77g, One of the benefits of the salty is that even at 21" long it doesn't weigh over 100g. The 21" belly superstroke grip weighs over 140g!!! this means with the 77g 21" grip I didn't have to add nearly as much head weight as you normally would to an Arm Lock putter because the 21" Salty weighs HALF as much AND has a bigger more comfortable diameter for my larger hands. Win freaking win.

Salty for life!

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link

Froth-
Than is ingenious! You sir are an innovator :) that arm lock grip looks spectacular! Although I use a 35" Scotty Futura X, the arm lock grip looks incredible. I have always loved the look of these since I saw them on this thread! It's only a few months old and I cannot bring myself to change the grip. However when I do, I'm sure this will be the first one I look at. I assume it was lighter than the grip you had before? What is the transition like to the new weight? How is it overall? Good luck with the new grip! Happy putting!

[quote name='Cobras7' timestamp='1389240722' post='8426259']
Froth-
Than is ingenious! You sir are an innovator :) that arm lock grip looks spectacular! Although I use a 35" Scotty Futura X, the arm lock grip looks incredible. I have always loved the look of these since I saw them on this thread! It's only a few months old and I cannot bring myself to change the grip. However when I do, I'm sure this will be the first one I look at. I assume it was lighter than the grip you had before? What is the transition like to the new weight? How is it overall? Good luck with the new grip! Happy putting!
[/quote]
This is actually my first foray into the Arm Lock putter, The putter in the picture started as my old 33.5" Ping Cushin which already had one Salty grip on it. I cut the back cap off with a razor blade and epoxied a 10" length of shaft into the stock shaft to complete the grip(10" sticking out, 2" inserted and epoxied in the back of the stock shaft). I figured if I hated it I could always cut it in half and glue the back cap back on to reverse the modification. I had been experimenting with a modified Belly putter that was made into an Arm Lock(TM Ghost Manta) with a 21" Superstroke Belly on it that belonged to one of the local teaching pros and while I liked it the weight of the grip was really hard for me to get used to, I like heavy clubs and a heavier head feel so eventually I just bit the bullet and decided to modify my Salty grip into what I posted above. I added ~20g more weight to the head(already had 20g of tape on it) so I could really feel the head and I am in love with it. Rolls the ball very well and my setup feels rock solid, no way my stroke can break down now using the Arm Lock. Alignment seems easier for me as well.

Edit: at 33.5" my putter was ~515g, so adding the 10" of shaft plus the second Salty grip and additional head weight only added another ~100g to the club. JUST the Superstroke Belly 21" is listed at 145g on their site, so adding more shaft length and that grip would have put my putter close to 700g and I would have needed a LOT more head weight to make up for the heavy Superstroke grip.

WITB Link

[quote name='Chris92009' timestamp='1389465369' post='8441891']
[quote name='Hit-em' timestamp='1347144809' post='5608797']
At $30 a little pricing IMO ..
I'd be interested in seeing how it would feel but $30 seems a little expensive just to try it out ..
[/quote]

On their website they are $35 to $40 each!
[/quote]

Back in 2012 they were a little cheaper....

I just sent an email regarding customization through salty's website and both a Mark and Walt emailed me back in less than 15 minutes.

Unbelievable customer service there. I'm placing my order tonight.

Will post pics after installation.

G410 LST 9* w/ Small Batch HZRDUS Green 70 6.5
G425 Max 14.5* w/ Tensei Pro Blue 80TX
818 19* w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX
TM UDI 18* w/ Tensei Pro White 100TX
0311T w/ Nippon Modus 5-PW 3 120X
SM8 50F, 54S and Wedgeworks 58V w/ Nippon Modus 125X
Tour Issue Spider Tour Black
2019 ProV1

[quote name='Rapture25' timestamp='1389838075' post='8468761']
I just sent an email regarding customization through salty's website and both a Mark and Walt emailed me back in less than 15 minutes.

Unbelievable customer service there. I'm placing my order tonight.

Will post pics after installation.
[/quote]
Don't be surprised if you also get a personalized thank you in your order when it arrives, all of my orders have come with hand written thank you notes and that's half the reason I have such loyalty to Salty grips. In this day and age it's pretty rare to get the level of customer service you get when ordering from them.

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this up.

I got tired of waiting for an Arm Lock version so I did the unthinkable and modified/combined two mid plus size salty grips to make a complete cork masterpiece. 21" of solid cork! Cut the top cap off one and the bottom cap off another and epoxied them together. I actually think 17" would be too short for the way I'm gripping the club but 21" works just right! The only thing that is sort of hard to swallow is that this is a $70 grip. However, worth it completely.

Introducing, likely the very first Arm Lock Salty! :)

saltyarm1.jpg

saltyarm2.jpg

I also rounded off both sharp edges of the flat front so it would smoothly fit into my hands, entire grip has been sanded with 80 grit then 220 grit. Overall putter length is 43.75" and overall weight is 611g. The total grip weighed in at 77g, One of the benefits of the salty is that even at 21" long it doesn't weigh over 100g. The 21" belly superstroke grip weighs over 140g!!! this means with the 77g 21" grip I didn't have to add nearly as much head weight as you normally would to an Arm Lock putter because the 21" Salty weighs HALF as much AND has a bigger more comfortable diameter for my larger hands. Win freaking win.

Salty for life!

That's awesome I have been thinking about trying out an armlock style of putting but don't know I I'm gonna spend 70$ on th grip : P

But seriously genius idea!!! Are the salty grips non tapered I'm assuming ?

I am impressed. It would be great if they came out with a longer version of this grip because counterbalanced putters are working well for a number of people.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9* w/ UST Linq Red 8F5

Callaway Rogue 3 LS Wood w/ UST Linq Blue 8F5

Callaway UW 19* w VA Baddazz 70X

Titleist T100 ‘21 4-9 w/ TT X100

Vokey 46* w/ TT X100

Vokey 50, 54 and 58* w/ BGT ZNE 130

L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 (Red) Broomstick

Got mine for christmas, popped it on there the other day, and it feels great with at home putts. Can't wait to take this out on the course!!! Going to FL to get out of this NY polar vortex nonsense in a couple weeks.

Haven't decided yet if I want to sand it a little for a bit more grit. Going to play a few rounds with it as is first.

Ping K15 :: Graff PL Red @ 43.5"
Titleist 910f :: 15*
TaylorMade 09 Rescue 3 :: 19*
MP-59 4i-PW : 2flat : -.5" : s300
Callaway X-Forged 54/12 & 60/10
Odyssey White Hot XG #1:: Salty Grip

Just ordered one with "Roll Ur Rock" engraved. I will be waiting to install on the new Cameron golo 7

Titleist TS3, 9.5, Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 8
Callaway xforged utility 18, AD DI 105
Taylormade p770 4-pw, Project X 
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58 Project X 
Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2

I love my Salty Grip. Worked great last season, however it seems to have gotten a little bit misaligned, I'll have to remedy that before the 2014 season starts. Great grips!

[attachment=2047618:putter-2.jpg]

Srixon Z545
Srixon F45
Adams Super Hybrid 20° (Tour issue)
Mizuno Mp-15 4-pw
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 RAW 52/56/60
Odyssey Versa O-Works 1W

• 1 month later...

So to cut a long story short, I have been in contact with Mark at Salty grips for many months seeing if they would ever be doing a split grip for long putters, to be fair to Salty, this is a niche market so I had No expectation of them coming through.
But Mark was kind enough to answer my emails as I would bug him every month and in there last shipment they ordered some round grips and here is my putter down at Marks house freshly re-gripped!
[attachment=2127459:grip.jpg]

I have to say that it looks fantastic and can't wait for Mark to send it back up North. I'll post more pics when it arrives home.
Great, Great guys, who really did not have to do this... I can't recommend them highly enough!

Adams XTD 10.5
TM RBZ Stage 2 16.5* or PING G25 17* Hyd
PING G25 20*, 23*, 27*, 31*
PING G30 Irons 6 thru S
Cleveland Niblick (2008) 49* 56* or
PING EYE 2 Gorge S & L
Bobby Grace F-22 Long Putter

[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1395231642' post='8903239']
how do these hol up over time. cork degrades pretty fast
[/quote]
Mine have held up very well, it's much more durable than I thought it would be. When you get the grip from Salty they have "cork seal" over the entire grip so it sort of protects it, though if you do any sanding to the grip you will remove the seal. I sanded my entire grip so there's no seal at all on it and it's still given me zero problems whatsoever. The grip actually gets better over time, it sort of "wears in" to your hands if you use it a lot.

WITB Link

[quote name='stockers72' timestamp='1395188663' post='8900815']
So to cut a long story short, I have been in contact with Mark at Salty grips for many months seeing if they would ever be doing a split grip for long putters, to be fair to Salty, this is a niche market so I had No expectation of them coming through.
But Mark was kind enough to answer my emails as I would bug him every month and in there last shipment they ordered some round grips and here is my putter down at Marks house freshly re-gripped!
[attachment=2127459:grip.jpg]

I have to say that it looks fantastic and can't wait for Mark to send it back up North. I'll post more pics when it arrives home.
Great, Great guys, who really did not have to do this... I can't recommend them highly enough!
[/quote]

UPDATE:
Putter arrived safely home today, I am really pleased with how it came out! It appears that Mark at Salty has no plans to actually make more of these, so to quote the man "definitely one of a kind in the entire world of golf"

[attachment=2140649:20140324_185119 (600x800).jpg]

[attachment=2140647:20140324_185159 (600x800).jpg]

[attachment=2140651:20140324_185101(1) (600x800).jpg]

In one word... Fantastic.

Adams XTD 10.5
TM RBZ Stage 2 16.5* or PING G25 17* Hyd
PING G25 20*, 23*, 27*, 31*
PING G30 Irons 6 thru S
Cleveland Niblick (2008) 49* 56* or
PING EYE 2 Gorge S & L
Bobby Grace F-22 Long Putter

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Dcmusch' timestamp='1398472902' post='9172495']
Just ordered one for my 34" golo 3. Will one wrap on top and two on the bottom be enough build up?
[/quote]

Probably not. I used a pair of digital calipers to keep a consistent diameter down the entire shaft, 0.60 rings a bell. This involved one full length strip. Then another strip about an inch shorter, another about an inch shorter, all the way to probably the last piece that was about three inches long tapering down the shaft. This was on a steel stepped shaft on a odyssey versa.

G410 LST 9* w/ Small Batch HZRDUS Green 70 6.5
G425 Max 14.5* w/ Tensei Pro Blue 80TX
818 19* w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX
TM UDI 18* w/ Tensei Pro White 100TX
0311T w/ Nippon Modus 5-PW 3 120X
SM8 50F, 54S and Wedgeworks 58V w/ Nippon Modus 125X
Tour Issue Spider Tour Black
2019 ProV1

My scotty squareback with jumbo salty. Putting great so far this season.FA83F14D-E046-4B3B-B7C1-CECD765DBCEF.jpg

Cobra Orange Bio Cell 'ahina 70
Adams 3446-F 16* Diamana Redboard 73 (Tour issue)
Adams Super LS XTD Fairway 19* Matrix 7X3 White Tie (Tour issue)
Adams Super Hybrid XTD Ti 21* Fubuki Axe
Ping i20 5-UW KBS Tour
Callaway X-forged MD C-grind 53* and 58* KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Squareback w/ Salty Jumbo

LOVE my Salty grip.
I prefer a heavier putter (350g range) but like the look and feel of some of my older carbon sticks. Putting a lightweight Salty grip on 330-335g putters enables me to feel the head more and allows me to put some of my older putters back in the bag.
Absolutely love my Salty / TeI3 DelMar2 set up.

• 3 months later...

How durable has the Salty grips been? I would be extremely nervous that the grip would start losing pieces of cork here and there on the grip in time. I don't slam my clubs down in my bag but the putter will share a divider sleeve with three other clubs (all with leather grips). I am definitely interested in one of these. Thanks in advance.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

[quote name='RobotDoctor' timestamp='1406650989' post='9810013']
How durable has the Salty grips been? I would be extremely nervous that the grip would start losing pieces of cork here and there on the grip in time. I don't slam my clubs down in my bag but the putter will share a divider sleeve with three other clubs (all with leather grips). I am definitely interested in one of these. Thanks in advance.
[/quote]
I've had mine for well over six months and my putter shares a divider slot with five other clubs, not a single bit of the grip has become damaged from going in/out of the bag, no damage from walking 20 or so rounds with the grip in the bag, several of those rounds were played in rain where the Salty REALLY shined, amazing level of grip in the rain. Don't hesitate to order one, or two...or more. Best putter grip on the market, IMO.

WITB Link