WITB Tiger as an Amatuer/1st professional events

Golfer Gavin

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but I don't really see how blades can really be that different anymore. So many models have been made that it is damn near impossible to make a blade without it looking a lot like another blade.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

681s are sweet clubs. I wonder how close Tiger's 681s and the retail 681s really are. Does anyone know how many sets of 681 and T models were made for the general public?

[size=2][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][color=#A4A4A4]What's In My Ping Hoofer?[/color]
[color=#A4A4A4]TaylorMade M3 TP 10.5 Diamana B60[/color]
[color=#A4A4A4]TaylorMade R11Ti 15/18.5/21 Diamana Kai'Li 80[/color]
[color=#a4a4a4]2013 Ping Anser 4-PW PXi 5.5 [/color]
[color=#A4A4A4]Ping Glide Forged 52/58 S300
Ping Half Wack-E 34"
Kirkland Signature Performance +[/color][/font][/size]

• 1 month later...
I'm sorry, but I don't really see how blades can really be that different anymore. So many models have been made that it is damn near impossible to make a blade without it looking a lot like another blade.

I've played the MP 14s and I still play the Nike blades. Trust me, they're quite different from each other. Mind you my Nike set is quite far from off-the-shelf and has been completely re-built.

• 1 month later...
Tiger won the masters with a Tei3 Cameron but he won his first tourney , the 96 Las Vegas, with a Cameron Scottydale Longneck.

Now thats a fun story :russian_roulette:

if you see pics of that on in the registry you can clearly see the neck has been cut off and rewelded, and i'll leave it at that.

Cobra F9 Speedback 7.0 Graphite Design Tour Ad GP 7x
Callaway Rogue SUB ZERO 13.5 HZRDUS Yellow 83x
Srixon U85 18 & 22  Steelfiber 110 X-cw 
Srixon 585  5/6 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
Srixon 785 7/8/9 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
 Cleveland 46,52 58 RTX3 Steelfiber 125 X-cw
Odyssey Mc2 Oworks
Srixon Zstar gloves, and Zstar XV Ball

• 4 weeks later...

Still using the Mizuno Irons, with a Nike stamp. Just like he did at Titleist

If you don't need an original reply...club manufacturers don't need an original design.

Just to clarify...Tiger uses Miura irons with the Nike logo.... and it was Miura who made his irons with the Titleist 681 T logo when he was with Titleist too.

some people will say who cares... well... somepeople do care and want to know...

If you don't need an original reply...club manufacturers don't need an original design.

Just to clarify...Tiger uses Miura irons with the Nike logo.... and it was Miura who made his irons with the Titleist 681 T logo when he was with Titleist too.

some people will say who cares... well... somepeople do care and want to know...

Not according to Tiger. Where's you're definate information from?

"Tiger Woods, the world's top-ranked golfer, who is paid about $20 million a year to endorse Nike equipment, said at a news conference last month that he never has used Miura clubs or met Miura himself. Beth Gast, a spokeswoman for Nike Inc.'s golf division, said in an e-mail that Miura never has made clubs for the Beaverton, Oregon-based company.

Miura, who won't comment directly about Woods, made 500 sets of limited-edition Tiger Woods Titleist models exclusively for the Japanese market in the late 1990s"

"Tiger Woods, the world's top-ranked golfer, who is paid about $20 million a year to endorse Nike equipment, said at a news conference last month that he never has used Miura clubs or met Miura himself. Beth Gast, a spokeswoman for Nike Inc.'s golf division, said in an e-mail that Miura never has made clubs for the Beaverton, Oregon-based company.

Miura, who won't comment directly about Woods, made 500 sets of limited-edition Tiger Woods Titleist models exclusively for the Japanese market in the late 1990s"

My information came from a confidential source.... and I think the bottom line is... because of legal issues and constraints on what can and can't be said due to contracts with OEMs...the truth will truly never be known except to a few individuals..... So I don't think anyone except Tiger and select few people will really know where his irons are made. Remember....just because it is in print or because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's a true statment. I have seen this exact statement from a number of players including Goosen who made the exact same comment about Miura irons before he knew that his irons were actually made by Miura.

What we do know for sure is...

- The frame is a Tom Stites design

- They were made at a top foundry (we don't know for sure where)

- They have the Nike Logo

- They work for Tiger....

-... and thats about it....it is useless to comment any more on this one....

My information came from a confidential source.... and I think the bottom line is... because of legal issues and constraints on what can and cant be said due to contracts with OEM...the truth will truly never be known except to a few individuals..... So I don't think anyone except Tiger and select few people will really know where his irons are made. Goosen made the same comment about Miura irons before he knew that his irons were actually made by Mirua.

-... and thats about it....

And they're not Nike-stamped MP14s, or Titleists.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

My information came from a confidential source.... and I think the bottom line is... because of legal issues and constraints on what can and cant be said due to contracts with OEM...the truth will truly never be known except to a few individuals..... So I don't think anyone except Tiger and select few people will really know where his irons are made. Goosen made the same comment about Miura irons before he knew that his irons were actually made by Mirua.

-... and thats about it....

You're right, we'll probably never know. This gets debated regularly on here and it'll never be resolved.

Personally I find it unlikely that Tiger and Nike would lie about not working with Miura and I find it even less likely that Tiger doesn't know where his clubs come from (like Goosen).

I've always thought that Miura have been quite open about all of their Major wins and I don't see any reason why they'd hold back information on Tiger or anyone else for that matter.

Opinion is opinion but as always, there won't be a resolution until either Nike or Miura gives us a definate answer.

I agree mate.

Miura never made any secret of their associations and sucesses in the past - Floyd, Olazabal and Woosnam for instance.

I wouldn't put it past Nike to slap a confidentiality clause on any associations though; I don't get this 'it's Tiger, so it's Top Secret' attitude about everything to do with him.

I know the great man is notoriously private about his private life; and who can blame him with the way he is constantly under the microscope? I just don't understand this iron will to guard everything about him, which extends to his equipment.

Why on earth would you not tell someone what shaft is in your driver, for instance? I can see the merits of not releasing details of who forged irons or whatever, due to potential impact on a manufacturer's sales or reputation. But why does 'Everything Tiger' have to have the 'Area 51 Treatment?'

I just find it very strange.

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

not the best pics by any means but here are the '97 miura titleist japan release tiger irons; i will try and get some better pics

cameron_golf2007-img600x450-11861104521122.jpg

cameron_golf2007-img600x450-11861104641124.jpg

cameron_golf2007-img600x450-11861104751123.jpg

JBeam J3 Tour 10.5* - Syncagraphite Loop Prototype IP X
Miura Giken TC-101 Miura Craftsman World #3

Artisan MB #4-PW
(Nippon Modus 125 X Flex in 3-PW)
Artisan 50*, 55*, 60*

(Nippon Modus 125 X in 50*)
(Nippon Modus Wedge 125 in 55* & 60*)
Artisan 0123 Stainless; Smooth Face w/Site Dot (Grip; Elite Geron Type #N2 Black)
Tour G 50 Rubber Round Grips On Driver;Irons;Wedges

Thank you VERY MUCH for those pictures. There used to be some great pictures of these irons on equip2golf.com (interestingly under the Mizuno History section and listed as having appeared in a Mizuno catalog) but the whole section is gone. I'd asked the administratior if they could be restored or e-mailed to me but never got a response.

Two other notes. I was under the impression that these 'T' blades were totally different from the various 681 and 'T-stamped' Titleists. The muscle contour is totally different.

Also, it seems to me that the curve of the muscle on these T's is very different from the almost straight contour of the muscle back on the Nike blades (both the stock retail models and from pictures posted here of Tiger's bag). Anyone else think this is true? Thanks.

Edit: More pictures would be very much appreciated (if possible). Also I should have added to the differences I perceive is that the thin flange at the top (above the muscle at address) is much narrower than on the Nike blades. Again, just my perception. That's not to say that his irons haven't evolved over time.

Edit2: Not to fan the flames further, but I double-checked the Miura page, and the 'tournament blades' have the straighter muscle contour and the rounded toe of the Nikes. Most of the Titleists have a curved muscle and a squarer, higher, peaked toe. Again, IMO.

I agree.

Totally different from the two sets of Nikes he's bagged.

And different again from the Mizunos he used back in the 90s.

Since you are a Nike blade man, can you tell me what the bounce and the sole width of the blades are? The Nike site doesn't list these specs and they don't answer my e-mails.

I'm curious, because in most photos, the soles look pretty wide for blades, and I haven't looked at a set in the store for awhile. I'm curious how they compare to my irons (Tommy Armour 845m's which seem much narrower in the sole and have a bounce of 3º throughout the 1-9 irons.

I don't know how they compare to your Tommy Armours, but, looking at other irons I've got downstairs, they seem pretty thin. Not as thin as my old MP14 Mizunos, but certainly similar to my old Titleists.

In terms of the 'average' blade I'd say they're... about average really.

Bounce-wise, I'd guess the long irons are low bounce, but the pitching wedge I use certainly appears to have more than 3 degrees of bounce on it.

I don't have a problem with them digging (as evidenced by the length of time they've been in my bag) which can be a problem with some others I've tried.

The main thing I like about them is the fact that they've got 'proper' lofts (i.e. weak and old-school) as standard.

Edit: PM sent mate!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Tiger in no way is still using Mizuno irons with a nike stamping. They wouldnt pay Tom Stites the money that he is paid to build Tiger a set of mizuno irons with a nike stamping. Come on now

Um yeah they do...

They just match up some weighting to make it feel the same, same materials, the reason he gets paid is because he matches all this, Make it look like it is from nike " which is bridgestone " and has the club formed so tiger says" yeah looks good to me " He doesnt give a crap who makes it. He wants it to look good, feel better thats it.

All I know is that I would LOVE to bag a set of the miura forged Nikes he plays now with the HUGE nike swoosh in the middle of the muscleback! Sweeeetttt......... I doubt the retail ones will be anything like those unfortunately.

Yeah they look sweet, Im not much of a fan, but if you want to shell out like $1400, you can get last years Tigers, with the lazer engraving on them. Those are the only nikes that after hitting them I would consider throwing in the bag.

But also in tigers bag if you noticed at the Matchplay, he had lead tape on at least 4 or 5 clubs. I saw his bag close up, i was suprized to see that considering how much time he puts into it.

• 1 month later...

Further to the earlier posts, a fellow member on here has sourced some pics from '97 and '98 relating to TW's equipment (thanks Paul!)

The first bag shot is apparently from May 1998. He's carrying prototype Titleist irons (which may or may not have been christened '841s') and some of the first (that I'd seen) Vokey wedges. I had a good look in his bag at that years' Open Championship a couple of months later and the only changes were a Titleist 2 iron had replaced the old MP29, the driver was graphite-shafted and he was using Mark O'Meara's back-up Anser 2.

The second bag shot is from around the time of his first Masters win. The putter shots will no doubt have Cameron afficianados wincing.

Great pics.

Correction to the 975D..

I think it first went into the bag in the '97 Mercedes at Kapalua.. Late '97.

Don't ask me why I remember this so vividly, but he played a charity event against Ken Griffey, Chris O'Donnel and somebody else. If I remember correctly, for every hole Tiger won, they got to take a club out of his bag. Of course, the first to go was the driver and Griffey handed it to someone in the gallery. I believe that was the first time I saw him hitting the 975, plus it had a graphite shaft which obviously didn't last long.

SLDR 460 9.5* Oban Kyoshi White 65-05
SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x
SLDR TP 19* Motore Speeder 9.8HB
MR-23 CB US Spec 4-PW TC x1 soft stepped
Vokey SM 4 52*, TVD-K 56 & 60
Circa '62 No. 2 raw, ProV1x

Our college team played alot with Stanford and I played in the 1996 US Amateur at Pumkin Ridge. I can clear up a couple of things regarding what was in Tiger's bag the week he turned pro.

Putter was a platinum Scotty Cameron Newport with a sight line (not a Newport 2), the first of its kind that I had ever seen (why I remember it so vividly).

King Cobra driver.

Long irons Mizuno MP-14

Short irons Mizuno MP-29, not sure where the transition was made.

I believe the wedges were Clevelands.

He also used a SPECIAL Titleist Professional 90. It must have been SPECIAL because it went so much farther than mine!

Hope this helps.

Interesting that Tiger played a mixed set of 29s and 14s. I never knew that.

His MP-29 2 Iron stayed with him for a long time. Even into his Nike Blade years. When It was found Tiger used the PT15. A Club that had not been made in about 5 years, they would sell for a nice nice price. So would Titleist Custom Grind Irons---Once Tiger started using them

tigerbag.jpg

I thought he went to a full nike set at the 2002 am-ex

just throwing this out there but im pretty sure nike blades are forged by mizuno even the ones you buy off the rack

at least according to and istructor of mine and he knows alot about the club buisness