Who was "Lake" and where did he go?

PingG10guy

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1354560068' post='6012601']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1354547896' post='6011621']
Wow...scary.
[/quote]

Yeah. Does mac just set these guys free when he thinks they've learned enough?
[/quote]

I suspect this might be the case and Mac just doesn't have a good way to cope with how to kick the offspring from the nest. I don't know the details with Lake, but I've never known him to use Morad for anything more than helping his members and students become the best players that they can be. A real pros pro, IMO.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1354560068' post='6012601']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1354547896' post='6011621']
Wow...scary.
[/quote]

Yeah. Does mac just set these guys free when he thinks they've learned enough?
[/quote]

Seems he did more than set that guy free. Told him he was a leaching [email="b@st@rd"]b@st@rd[/email] from the sound of it. Not so nice.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1354571395' post='6013527']
Someone he banded should publish the secret recipes. Mulligatawny anybody? If someone called me a blood sucker, I would be like... you want me to be a blood sucker, well here you go pal, free soup for everyone. What can he do? It's not like he can patent golf swing instruction. What a d*ck.
[/quote]

A lot of McCord's "Golf for Dummies" is straight out of MORAD believe it or not. But the instruction section of that book is quite dumbed down so it doesn't delve too deeply.

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1354571543' post='6013541']
Someone he banded should publish the secret recipes. Mulligatawny anybody? If someone called me a blood sucker, I would be like... you want me to be a blood sucker, well here you go pal, free soup for everyone. What can he do? It's not like he can patent golf swing instruction. What a d*ck.
[/quote]

A lot of McCord's "Golf for Dummies" is straight out of MORAD believe it or not. But the instruction section of that book is quite dumbed down so it doesn't delve too deeply.
[/quote]

LMFAO..... That is the sickest thing I ever heard. I wonder what that email looked like. . . lol.

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1354572222' post='6013599']
[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1354571543' post='6013541']
[/quote]

[/quote]

LMFAO..... That is the sickest thing I ever heard. I wonder what that email looked like. . . lol.
[/quote]

I'd like to see that email.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

The fact that people care at all about Mac is beyond me. An adult who sends emails like that is beyond reason and is taking golf way too seriously. Guess what about MORAD, there are no magic secrets lol, doesn't exist never will and never has.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1354629826' post='6016345']
The fact that people care at all about Mac is beyond me. An adult who sends emails like that is beyond reason and is taking golf way too seriously. Guess what about MORAD, there are no magic secrets lol, doesn't exist never will and never has.
[/quote]

There are a lot of brilliant people in all walks of life that don't fit the mold that someone defines as the norm...

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1354630314' post='6016383']
[/quote]

There are a lot of brilliant people in all walks of life that don't fit the mold that someone defines as the norm...
[/quote]

Your right but what does that have to do with being ignorant to people who worked along side you for many years.

Brilliance is no excuse for Ignorance.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1354631532' post='6016449']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[s]Your[/s] You're right but what does that have to do with being[s] ignorant [/s] cruel to people who worked along side you for many years.

Brilliance is no excuse for [s]Ignorance[/s] meanness.
[/quote]

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

[quote name='scotee' timestamp='1354648687' post='6017757']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1354631532' post='6016449']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[s]Your[/s] You're right but what does that have to do with being[s] ignorant [/s]cruel to people who worked along side you for many years.

Brilliance is no excuse for [s]Ignorance[/s] meanness.
[/quote]
[/quote]

ya i don't see mac as being ignorant...just being a salami.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

All I know is MANY of the best teachers I know have come through MORAD. I don't know Mac O'Grady... like him or not, his work is brilliant. I don't know Lake personally either, but as a gentleman, I'll bet he says the same thing. I would attend his school in a heartbeat if I had the resources, and he let me in...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

in my opinion...there's many areas of expertise where there is someone who really really excels that tends to lack in the skills of social interaction. Ive seen tons of examples.

I guess it's all interpretation, and in todays world it is easy to offend some without intent. Heck we see it on golfwrx all the time. Anyway, glad to see Lake back up on the site. Hopefully he doesnt get blasted for dropping his 2 cents on a topic though. I see lots of the good instructors drop knowledge and internet golfers try and argue instead of saying thanks.

The Mac issue? Maybe the guy should just get an account and start a thread to clear up some things. As it stands now if I was thinking about going to a seminar(or whatever you call it-MORADinar?) I wouldnt want to get a few levels under my belt only to get the boot. Bad for business.

I got hooked on MORAD after meeting with Mark Blackburn...I knew what I was getting into because Mark and his friend V.J. Trolio had just been kicked-out of program...V.J. for writing his Hogan book and Mark for not returning Mac's calls or so Mac said. I originally thought 3 schools would be a good accomplishment...I made it 7 in 5 years. I brought a lot of guys into the program...I added up around $30,000 worth of income for Mac...not counting the pyramid effect of those I brought in.

We got along well...however, I made a point not to get too close...the last couple of years the # of people I brought in started to dwindle...Mac called me less...I knew my value was shrinking...this past school my 1 client couldn't make it...the rule is we get the money up front and even if the client can't attend Mac gets paid...my friend paid 1/2 even though he couldn't make it...I covered the other 1/2.

The school was ok...Mac was a little more off than usual...like money was an issue for him right now...he always buys lunch every day of the school for attendees and that wasn't the case...we spent little to no time in the classroom...I took home no notes...very very rare...his dress was sloppy and his colorful leather MORAD bag was replaced w/ a beat up stand bag...small signs but they added up looking back.

The school ended with very little drama and I got to drive him to the airport. We stopped at Publix...he bought us subs...and I let him off with a handshake and a smile.

Mac was in Orlando for 7 days...he does week long schools once or twice a year for $3,000...I have never attended a week long school as I can't get away that long (Golf Pro at Private Club)...normally his schools are 3-days and are $2,500...that is what I agreed to...and that is I paid him...I actually only attended 2.5 days in Orlando. Well when he got home he wanted more money...I said no...and that was it...David Orr has a much better story on his departure :)

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1354767667' post='6025775']
That story lacked the usual excitement Lake

I wonder if we'll be seeing a colorful leathet MORAD bag on EBay sometime soon? ;)
[/quote]

The emails and phone conversation had more bullets flying!!! The economy has definitely hit the McGleno's...but unlike most of us it was self inflicted.

From 06 till 2010 I attended 7 schools and brought him more than $40,000 in clients. The first school I was told not to video indoors and he caught me and I hung on for over 200 hrs in his company. I cherished every moment. As Mozart said in the movie Amadeus "I may be an idiot but my music is not'. Well Mac maybe a &**^*(&%*(O*&^OR )but his golf information is not. His life and Homer Kelleys lives were driven to answer one simple question -- HOW TO HIT A GOLF BALL.. He destroyed his back because he wanted a full time student So he taught himself the MORAD (mankinds objective research and development)system left handed.
He was beaten severely by his brother and father after his mother died . i believe Mac was around 15. He is a romantic passionate genius . I asked him when he realized he was such a romantic and his exact words "When I came out of the womb and looked up into my mothers face".
When your with him you feel special. He will never sell his goods How much would sell your child for?
He is a green that you can not hit. He does not "get along to go along". Every one that he has reached out to has disappointed him (remember he is a green you cant hit). He LOVES to talk about golf. He is a teacher in search of a student. Money does not motivate him . He turned down money from Callaway and others in his prime because he did not want to sell his soul,.Golf digest or Golf channel would pay him to do any thing. Hopefully he will embrace some of the latest stuff,like Phamtom. and Trackman and the like. If you have the chance to give him 2500 Do IT. Manzella wants to be the greatest teacher in the world .. Until Mac dies He will have to wait. He gives most of the credit to Kelley.Thanks for reading MAC Rules.I was kicked out for God knows what reason. At leist it was not for stealing a sweater like Dahlquist was lol.Hope to meet Lake some day

[quote name='chrisgilly09' timestamp='1354777970' post='6026201']
Ya the new wave IMO are ex MORAD guys with trackman, deadly combo. Mac will figure out that lil machine eventually. Thanks Denny
[/quote]

Mac has been on Trackman several times...he is a fan...I would bet that it is at schools in the near future...I remember when Casio first came out w/ high speed cameras...same thing...slight delay...than all in

As a mentor of mine has said, "If he's so smart, why ain't he rich"? In other words, he may be smart, he may hit the ball well, but where are his Protégées? Where are the Major winners of golf? Why isn't everyone flocking to his way of teaching, and then dropping their handicap by 5 or ten points? Where are his PGA pros? I've heard him speak, and he is mostly gifted in having a personality bigger than life, that people flock to as their next Guru. He's a Putz, and troubled. Yes, he know's a fair amount about the technicalities of the golf swing, Golf Machine theories, but "All That"?
Don't think so!!!!!!! Too many teaching Pros have been swindled out of a lot of hard earned money. Go really study the Golf Machine if you want, work hard at it. I dare say it's still not the only way to understand or teach the golf swing. Some people just need a "GOLF MESSIAH" Many have drank The Kool-Aid, defending to the death, or excommunication.

[quote name='Lake' timestamp='1354768184' post='6025809']
[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1354767667' post='6025775']
That story lacked the usual excitement Lake

I wonder if we'll be seeing a colorful leathet MORAD bag on EBay sometime soon? ;)
[/quote]

The emails and phone conversation had more bullets flying!!! The economy has definitely hit the McGleno's...but unlike most of us it was self inflicted.
[/quote]

That's unfortunate. Even when I saw him in '06 one of the "regulars" told me that Mac holds a school whenever the money is getting low. He didn't know me from Adam but he called and left me a message on my answering machine a week prior to the school basically trying to get me to sign up. So not really surprised.

He'll never publish even though his web page has said that his study was done and ready for publication in 2005.

Lot's of good instructors have been through he Morad mill so he's left his mark that way.

We're going to have to chat sometime about all of it!

I have never met Mr Ogrady,but what is there about some(certainly not all) golf instructors who think they are G*ds gift to golfers.
From what I have read, Mr Ogrady is too damn insecure to ever have his ideas on the golf swing published.
I do not understand why anyone starts to eat his own seed corn ,by treating his students and those pros who help bring in students and money, poorly

[size=3][color=#000000]All of us have egos, some just healthier than others. Mac O's seems to be an unusual combination of large and fragile. Regarding the "Messiah complex" I have noticed that on golf forums most pissing matches involve not the teachers but their fanatic disciples. Bring up any name, OGrady, Haney, Harmon,Hardy, Geoff Jones, mainstream or web known and you see guys getting crazy in the defense of "their guy". All these teachers have a lot invested in their work and deserve to be proud and even protective of it. Thankfully most of them have the strength of character and or the good sense to stay out of the fight. I think most of them are just good gentlemen and truly look to do their thing for a fair compensation. An occasional bad egg makes you appreciate the generous ones we have sharing their good stuff here on WRX.[/color][/size]

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Great guy...I stupidly showed up for a lesson at his club without a collared shirt which I normally have in my car at times but I drove my truck...anyway I had to have one so he sold me a shirt and basically got the lesson for free. I'm still shocked that he is still at this very small community country club and not at large club in Fl with a stable of pros.

I really enjoy the small town life...I moved about every four years leading up to where I am now. My family has lived in Tullahoma nine years and my daughter has been able to enjoy growing-up in the same community. We are an hour away from Nashville...so a Titan game or concert is right next door...& two of my best friends work at Jack Daniel's which is 10 minutes away:)

Glad to see some old friends on here!! We sure had some good times on the tee or chatting back and forth on here and hopefully some good discussion coming down the road this winter.

My best advice for those working on their swing is to work on one piece at a time...they say it takes 10,000 hrs to master...thats like 4 years working every day for 8hrs/day...so a one hour lesson should only be used to identify the piece...than its ALL on the student to go to work...once the piece is mastered...on to the next...like a puzzle...the more in place the picture gets clearer.