BCS National Championship

BigDave11

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1357604518' post='6186717']
All this talk about how the SEC owns college football is getting old, especially after this last year. I think all college football was down this year, including the SEC and Alabama. They in particular are not as good as they were a year earlier. I think this will be a close game, and how funny would it be if ND were the team to break the streak....a team that's been written off for 15 years or so?
[/quote] Get used to it, the only question is how long it will take once the playoff starts that you will get 4 sec teams in the playoff, could have had at least 3 this year.

That one really has to irritate the Auburn fans. Bama wins national title and the quarterback is dating one of their hottest ladies.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

[quote name='Doc420' timestamp='1357618818' post='6188359']
All this talk about how the SEC owns college football is getting old, especially after this last year. I think all college football was down this year, including the SEC and Alabama. They in particular are not as good as they were a year earlier. I think this will be a close game, and how funny would it be if ND were the team to break the streak....a team that's been written off for 15 years or so?
[/quote] Get used to it, the only question is how long it will take once the playoff starts that you will get 4 sec teams in the playoff, could have had at least 3 this year.
[/quote]
You mean the Florida team that lost to Louisville and the LSU team that lost to Clemson.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

[quote name='oldhamer25' timestamp='1357619058' post='6188381']
[quote name='Doc420' timestamp='1357618818' post='6188359']
[/quote]
You mean the Florida team that lost to Louisville and the LSU team that lost to Clemson.
[/quote]

Touche..

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1357612928' post='6187679']
[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1357610817' post='6187461']
The fix is in. Alabama wins.
[/quote]

That first part is freaking comedy gold...
[/quote]

The fix was in on this game in the weight room last July. There was an obvious difference in the athletes on the field today.

[quote name='PedronNiall' timestamp='1357620345' post='6188507']
[s]The SEC[/s] Alabama is just golden right now. Year after year their speed, size, and aggressiveness has been on in full display for the championship games and exposed where others are lacking. That was an utter slaughter. ND didn't have an answer on either side of the ball.
[/quote]

Please don't mistake me for a Tide honk, even though the following will make me sound like one.

High school football is played at no higher level than in Alabama, and the Tide gets the in-state players they want. They're also getting who they want from Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, and even Florida. Before Saban got there, no way players like Cooper and Clinton-Dix (is that name hilarious to only me?) play for anybody but UF/FSU/Miami. When Lacy leaves for the draft, he'll be replaced next year by the #1 RB recruit in the country. What state is that kid from? Florida.

Coach Saban and his staff have an unmatched ability to break down an opponent, ID weaknesses, and then game plan to exploit those weaknesses to devastating effect (esp. when given a month to do so). That's a job made easier when their X's are better than the other guy's O's, but that's an advantage that they've earned. They also do a tremendous job developing and improving the already talented kids they bring in.

As far as the rest of the conference...there are only 3 SEC fan bases who should be crowing this morning. Alabama, for obvious reasons. Georgia, for winning their division, giving the Tide all they wanted in the SEC title game, and taking care of business in their bowl game. Texas A&M, for beating the champs in their house, and then destroying the Big 12 co-champ in front of a national audience. Saban has expressed concern about the threat posed by the Aggies going forward, and looking at how they played in the second half of the season that worry is justified.

Anybody else chanting "SEC" is just a front-runner. You're an also-ran in a very top-heavy conference. Forgive the rest of us if we're not impressed.

Florida - Embarassing display in Sugar Bowl, but not surprising when you consider how they played against Jax State, Mizzou, ULL, and others. Acted like playing the Big East champ was beneath them, and got what they had coming.

LSU - Lost bowl game to an also-ran in the "vastly inferior" ACC. 3 loss season and a head coach that eats grass. Had 'bama on the ropes at home and couldn't hold their water. Lots to brag about there.

S Car - Not half the team without Lattimore that they were with him. Needed a major miracle to beat a mediocre Big 10 team in Michigan. Gave up 44 points to a Florida team with a putrid offense. Wow.

For the rest of the country (including on probation Ohio State), there is no end in sight to the best of the SEC being the center of the college football galaxy. Until Coach Saban retires, that's most likely going to be Alabama.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

So exactly which programs around the country would you put above LSU and Florida, besides other SEC schools?

Both have as many national championships as any other CONFERENCE in the country the last ten years, heck so does Auburn. They'd probably have two if they hadn't been left out once. I hate the SEC as much as almost anyone
but open your eyes people, it's the SEC and then everyone else. If Arkansas was in any other conference the last ten years they'd have a half dozen conference championships and several national championship appearances.

Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Arkansas, South Carolina. Don't act like the conference is "top heavy" because all conferences have a few dogs. Meanwhile the top half of the SEC has at least four of the top six programs of the last ten years.

It's the cream of the SEC, and then everybody else. What I'm saying is that it's silly for other SEC fans to ride the coat tails of schools like Alabama when their own team falls on its face. There is some variability in who those top teams are from year to year. What doesn't vary is that the supposed superiority of the SEC vanishes when you get past the top two or three teams in the conference in any given year. If the SEC, top to bottom, was half as superior to other leagues as its homers would have you believe, its members would never lose a bowl game. Look back at how SEC teams have performed in bowl games outside the championship. The record there is nothing to shout about. Sounds like top-heaviness to me.

WITB Link

I'm not saying this is right and I'm not making excuses. But for an SEC team to play in the "toilet bowl" is much less of an incentive than it is for another conference to play them. I don't think they get up for the games. Again, not making excuses and certainly they should take it more seriously but it's like an exhibition game to them. Nothing on the line. Take that for what it's worth.

I understand what you're saying, but they're not playing for any less than the opponent is. If you can't find motivation to win in every game you play, then you get what you have coming to you and the myth of the total superiority of your conference breaks down.

WITB Link

I get that you don't like the SEC, I don't either. But seriously is there any program in the entire country you'd take over Alabama, LSU, Florida, or even Auburn over the last ten years? And there aren't too many programs I'd choose over Arkansas, Georgia, and South Carolina, and they're the MIDDLE of the SEC the last ten years. The SEC isn't anymore top heavy than any other conference. I don't care if there teams haven't won every meaningless bowl, it doesn't mean as much to you when your program is used to contending for titles. Other conferences are showing up trying to prove themselves, SEC teams are having a disappointing year.

Please tell me you aren't one of those guys who thought Boise deserved a chance at the big game there for a couple years...

Teams so superior don't need to make excuses about incentive. If they're so much better, then they'll go win regardless of the context. If you want to judge the conference as a whole, you can't choose to ignore the teams that lose and then have excuses and alibies tossed around for them.

No, I didn't want Boise State in. No, I don't hate the SEC. I judge the conference by the merits its schools demonstrate both on and off the field. Over a span of 10 years, there are some other programs' resumes I'd take over the also-rans (USC, Oklahoma, Ohio State come right to mind).

The only thing that has kept Alabama from winning 4 straight titles is Cam Newton stealing a laptop when he was at Florida. 3 out of the last 4, including a thumping of a fellow SEC school, means that the dominance is far more about Alabama than it is about the schools around them. The Tide wears the crown, and gravy-trainers around them are exactly that and little more (A&M and Georgia withstanding this year).

WITB Link

Nice, was that your mic drop line?

You're twisting words now. I'm well aware of what LSU has accomplished over the last 10 years, and I didn't say I'd take USC/OU/OSU over them. Their fan base has plenty to be proud of, and they would also tell you that those 10 years have had more than their share of under-achievement and inconsistency. I'm also aware that their record in their last 4 bowl games is 1-3. Those 3 losses include a historically bad performance against Alabama, a loss to a Clemson team that didn't win its own division in the "inferior" ACC, and a loss to a middling Penn St. team from the "inferior" Big 10.

We're making assertions in different contexts. Some for this year, some over 4-5 years, some over 10 years and that's causing us to misunderstand each other.

The only thing I find silly is the "SEC SEC SEC" mob mentality. Example being a Florida or LSU fan sticking their chest out about 'bama winning when their own team lost to an opponent from an "inferior" conference. That's it, and that's all.

WITB Link

[quote name='bcflyguy1' timestamp='1357666953' post='6190941']
[color=#ff0000]The only thing that has kept Alabama from winning 4 straight titles is Cam Newton stealing a laptop when he was at Florida[/color][b].[color=#0000ff] [/color][/b][color=#0000ff] 3 out of the last 4, including a thumping of a fellow SEC school,[/color] means that the dominance is far more about Alabama than it is about the schools around them. The Tide wears the crown, and gravy-trainers around them are exactly that and little more (A&M and Georgia withstanding this year).
[/quote]

[color=#ff0000]This is where I should have stopped reading. You have to be kidding me. Auburn kept Alabama from winning 4 straight national championships? Alabama already had 2 losses that year before playing Auburn. There was absolutely 0 chance of them playing in the national championship even if they'd beaten Auburn 70-0. Give it a rest man.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]And don't forget that LSU also beat Alabama once last season before the national championship. Were they really that much better than LSU when they'd already lost to LSU? You're ignorance is killing this topic.[/color]

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='bcflyguy1' timestamp='1357657166' post='6189895'] [quote name='PedronNiall' timestamp='1357620345' post='6188507'] [s]The SEC[/s] Alabama is just golden right now. Year after year their speed, size, and aggressiveness has been on in full display for the championship games and exposed where others are lacking. That was an utter slaughter. ND didn't have an answer on either side of the ball. [/quote] Please don't mistake me for a Tide honk, even though the following will make me sound like one. High school football is played at no higher level than in Alabama, and the Tide gets the in-state players they want. They're also getting who they want from Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, and even Florida. Before Saban got there, no way players like Cooper and Clinton-Dix (is that name hilarious to only me?) play for. [/quote]

It helps they pay kids well too..

[quote name='bcflyguy1' timestamp='1357671703' post='6191513']
Nice, was that your mic drop line?

You're twisting words now. I'm well aware of what LSU has accomplished over the last 10 years, and I didn't say I'd take USC/OU/OSU over them. Their fan base has plenty to be proud of, and they would also tell you that those 10 years have had more than their share of under-achievement and inconsistency. I'm also aware that their record in their last 4 bowl games is 1-3. Those 3 losses include a historically bad performance against Alabama, a loss to a Clemson team that didn't win its own division in the "inferior" ACC, and a loss to a middling Penn St. team from the "inferior" Big 10.

We're making assertions in different contexts. Some for this year, some over 4-5 years, some over 10 years and that's causing us to misunderstand each other.

The only thing I find silly is the "SEC SEC SEC" mob mentality. Example being a Florida or LSU fan sticking their chest out about 'bama winning when their own team lost to an opponent from an "inferior" conference. That's it, and that's all.
[/quote]

As a Florida fan First and an SEC fan second let me help you. Florida is in the top 3-4 teams in the country for total wins the last 20 years with 3 national titles and 2 heisman winners. Hardly a team you can brush aside so easily as overrated. Sugar bowl was without a doubt the worst performance since the '96 fiesta bowl against Nebraska.

The SEC SEC SEC mentality comes from we are a conference. The more success the conference has, even if it isn't your team, the better it makes everyone. More Revenue, better recruiting, better coaches, etc. Everyone gains from the overall success of the conference. This is the whole point of being in a conference.