SkyPro - really impressive

[b]Here's what I do: For example say I want to work on a 3/4 backswing. Put it into "Swing" mode. And purposefully swing trying to achieve a 3/4 swing. Look at the result Swing Mode shows. Repeat until you get a perfect 3/4 backswing. It never feels like it actaully does. When you get a good swing, mark it as a favorite. The go into "Groove" mode->Backswing length, and choose the swing you just marked as a favorite as your target. Groove away unitl you get better at meeting the target. This is extremely helpful.

I understand people want to put in numbers manually to target in Groove, and that's a good idea. But you still have to perform the swing and feel it to hit the groove-target. So swinging to set a groove-target is just as good, because you force yourself to know how it feels. Now repeat it in groove mode.[/b]

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer that for me.

That sounds like a really brilliant feature, the favourite swing thing.

I could use this during a lesson and record the good one(s) to try and copy away from the lesson.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='GolfMonster2' timestamp='1369014090' post='7066276']
SkyPro delivery arrived today but the unit had been removed from the box. Courier seal intact but SkyPro box seal broken. Have emailed support. Will re-post if I don't get a satisfactory response.
[/quote]

That's pretty bad.

Not sure who you can blame there but there is a solution.

Could you get the courier company to give you accurate package weights? I know the device weighs very little (50g?) but it would show up if it had been weighed.

[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1368638276' post='7041250']
[quote name='SunkTheBirdie' timestamp='1368634245' post='7040778']
[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1368550653' post='7033402']
This thing is really getting some bad reviews. I purchased one based off the technology it represents alone.
I used it yesterday for the first time and I was extremely impressed with the results. The app is great, the device seems ok, no problems.
More than anything [color=#ff0000][b]I identified things in my swing that I never knew were there[/b][/color]. They've caused problems for ever and I just never knew they were present. One 150 ball range session with this device and I was hitting dramatically more pure, straight, and better trajectory shots. Things were way more consistent.
If the devices holds up I honestly can't see this not dramatically improving my game.
[/quote]

You identified and fixed what ?
Your post has alot of hype and no tangible information.
[/quote]

[b]I identified swinging way past parallel. [/b]

People used to tell me I swung extremely hard and it never felt like it was past parallel. I also learned that shortening my swing to parallel did not reduce club head speed. In turn it dramatically increased ball striking. Using groove mode showed me and gave a great feel to the new position I need to take my backswing to. I actually can't see another good way to make such a dramatic correction in such a short time.
I've also learned my club head angle is too steep in my backswing along with a flat takeaway. All things you just can't feel. I haven't remedied the later few yet and may not since my impact angles are pretty good but those are nice to know and have especially to have a mimic-able swing that is good when the swing starts feeling off.
[/quote]
Video is better at identifying past parallel issues than a Skypro.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

[quote name='GolfMonster2' timestamp='1369339393' post='7093874']
[quote name='GolfMonster2' timestamp='1369014090' post='7066276']
SkyPro delivery arrived today but the unit had been removed from the box. Courier seal intact but SkyPro box seal broken. Have emailed support. Will re-post if I don't get a satisfactory response.
[/quote]

Despite the courier box being sealed, SkyGolf are refusing to take responsibility for the shypro not being in the box. Seems like it had just been removed from the box (or never made it in) at their end. Don't know why a delivery employee would steal the unit and leave the charger in the box when it is useless without the charger.

Not happy with SkyPro particularly given I've been a subscriber for several years.
[/quote]

It really sucks that this happened to you but this is standard operating procedure with most merchants. As someone else mentioned if the package was weighed that should settle who is responsible. I'm sure Gord will do right by you and handle it himself.

[quote name='kevnixon' timestamp='1369336454' post='7093520']
Has anyone compared the data to track man or flight scope ie club head speed etc looking to get one of these
[/quote]

I have not, but I had my pro make a few swings and he was looking at the data and he was pretty impressed and said it seemed consistent with his trackman data. He has a trackman so I will probably do a direct comparison next time I see him.

Had mine for a few days and loved it.
Unfortunately it has broken similiarly to the one a few pages back, the orange plastic has seperated at one end from the white plastic showing the internals.
Pretty disappointed to only get one decent range session out of it before it broke during normal use.
Not sure how to upload a photo of it.

Good afternoon everyone,

My name is Adam - I am another developer on the SkyPro product, and work with Gord. Let me begin by thanking everyone on here for providing us all of the incredibly valuable feedback on their experiences with SkyPro. Your comments have been instrumental in our ongoing development of the product. We are really excited to bring you a better SkyPro experience every day.

I wanted to provide some insight on one major topic this afternoon; the plastic breakages some of you have been experiencing with SkyPro. Gord has spoken on this briefly, but I wanted to dive in just a bit deeper to help you understand what’s happening on our end for this. And furthermore, what we are doing to make sure this issue is fixed.

Let me begin with a bit of background information. Before SkyPro was released it underwent thousands of hours of physical stress testing, however this issue was never discovered. We were baffled when we saw the first case of this damage in the field. Unfortunately, it was with a customer. We were devastated. We immediately began an investigation as top priority, and found the single issue that caused this malfunction. The issue stemmed from ramping up production levels of the SkyPro so quickly. Essentially, the screw underneath the black cap on the orange pod bottom that holds the SkyPro together was being over tightened during assembly. In the diagram below I have highlighted the area of plastic fracture.

screwbossfailure1.png

When this screw was over torqued - the plastic was fracturing during assembly. Once the plastic was fractured it didn’t take much force at all to break the rest of the plastic open. We never experienced this in testing because we always measured our screw torquing and never over tightened one.

The bigger problem immediately became obvious - we didn’t know how many of the initially assembled SkyPro’s had been over tightened and thus fractured. While production was ramping up we had to make sure we fixed this issue on all fronts. This is what we have done.

Fixing this issue could have been as easy as ensuring no screws were over torqued. However, we wanted to make sure there were more processes in place to ensure this fracturing could no longer take place - even if a screw was accidentally over tightened. In the diagram below I have outlined the four actions we have implemented in the hardware to make sure we don’t encounter the same problem.

screwbossfailure2.png

1. Reduced Screw Torque - We ran new, more detailed simulations on the hardware which allowed us to reduce the torque rating of the screw being used. Additionally, we have updated our assembly process to be more precise in tightening the screw to an exact level of torque.
  2. Rubber Washer - There was a small gap between the orange screw boss and white pod top enclosure. This small gap could potentially amplify vibrations experienced on the SkyPro and weaken the orange screw boss. We closed this gap by inserting a custom rubber washer.
  3. Increased Boss Support - We wanted to increase the strength of the screw boss that was fracturing. We added some extra support volume of plastic. This would ensure that even if a screw was over tightened - the plastic would not fracture.
  4. Glass Infused Material - This was a big one. We have upgraded the material composition of our orange bottom plastic. The new material is actually infused with glass and is rated significantly stronger than the previous material.

Seeing these breakages is very upsetting for us, but I am really happy with the updates on this new hardware. I sincerely apologize to anyone this has caused troubles for. I want to make sure we do everything possible to make things right for you, and get you back Grooving asap.

I hope this helps to provide some insight in to the importance of this matter on our end. If you experience any of these breakages please either message Gord or I, and we will make sure to take care of you straight away.

Thank you again to everyone here that has provided their feedback. Based on your input, we hope to have some new stuff coming out really soon!

If you have any further questions, I would be glad to answer them on here.

Thanks,

-adam

Good afternoon everyone,

My name is Adam - I am another developer on the SkyPro product, and work with Gord. Let me begin by thanking everyone on here for providing us all of the incredibly valuable feedback on their experiences with SkyPro. Your comments have been instrumental in our ongoing development of the product. We are really excited to bring you a better SkyPro experience every day.

I wanted to provide some insight on one major topic this afternoon; the plastic breakages some of you have been experiencing with SkyPro. Gord has spoken on this briefly, but I wanted to dive in just a bit deeper to help you understand what’s happening on our end for this. And furthermore, what we are doing to make sure this issue is fixed.

Let me begin with a bit of background information. Before SkyPro was released it underwent thousands of hours of physical stress testing, however this issue was never discovered. We were baffled when we saw the first case of this damage in the field. Unfortunately, it was with a customer. We were devastated. We immediately began an investigation as top priority, and found the single issue that caused this malfunction. The issue stemmed from ramping up production levels of the SkyPro so quickly. Essentially, the screw underneath the black cap on the orange pod bottom that holds the SkyPro together was being over tightened during assembly. In the diagram below I have highlighted the area of plastic fracture.

screwbossfailure1.png

When this screw was over torqued - the plastic was fracturing during assembly. Once the plastic was fractured it didn’t take much force at all to break the rest of the plastic open. We never experienced this in testing because we always measured our screw torquing and never over tightened one.

The bigger problem immediately became obvious - we didn’t know how many of the initially assembled SkyPro’s had been over tightened and thus fractured. While production was ramping up we had to make sure we fixed this issue on all fronts. This is what we have done.

Fixing this issue could have been as easy as ensuring no screws were over torqued. However, we wanted to make sure there were more processes in place to ensure this fracturing could no longer take place - even if a screw was accidentally over tightened. In the diagram below I have outlined the four actions we have implemented in the hardware to make sure we don’t encounter the same problem.

screwbossfailure2.png

1. Reduced Screw Torque - We ran new, more detailed simulations on the hardware which allowed us to reduce the torque rating of the screw being used. Additionally, we have updated our assembly process to be more precise in tightening the screw to an exact level of torque.
  2. Rubber Washer - There was a small gap between the orange screw boss and white pod top enclosure. This small gap could potentially amplify vibrations experienced on the SkyPro and weaken the orange screw boss. We closed this gap by inserting a custom rubber washer.
  3. Increased Boss Support - We wanted to increase the strength of the screw boss that was fracturing. We added some extra support volume of plastic. This would ensure that even if a screw was over tightened - the plastic would not fracture.
  4. Glass Infused Material - This was a big one. We have upgraded the material composition of our orange bottom plastic. The new material is actually infused with glass and is rated significantly stronger than the previous material.

Seeing these breakages is very upsetting for us, but I am really happy with the updates on this new hardware. I sincerely apologize to anyone this has caused troubles for. I want to make sure we do everything possible to make things right for you, and get you back Grooving asap.

I hope this helps to provide some insight in to the importance of this matter on our end. If you experience any of these breakages please either message Gord or I, and we will make sure to take care of you straight away.

Thank you again to everyone here that has provided their feedback. Based on your input, we hope to have some new stuff coming out really soon!

Thanks,

-adam

Your customer service and continuous efforts to improve Skypro are outstanding.

Agree with golfho50. Because of Adam's description of the problem and the fix and the continued updates from Gord, I just placed my order.

I ordered it from SkyGolf directly to make sure I get the new design and not one that's been sitting on the shelf for awhile. They are running a father's day promotion - $179.95 + tax and free shipping.

Great looking product and I plan to pick one up. I hav a couple of gift cards to TGW and plan to pick one up there. Is there any way to tell if a particular one is prone to the breaking issues discussed above by looking at the box or product?

TSr4 Ventus Blue Velocore TR 6x
TSr3 15* Ventus Blue Velocore TR 7x
SLDR 2 Hybrid Hzrdus Matrix Blacktie S
T100s 4-P PX 6.5
SM9 50F, 55S PX 6.5 and 60M S400
Newport

[quote name='SunkTheBirdie' timestamp='1369348744' post='7094786']
[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1368638276' post='7041250']
[quote name='SunkTheBirdie' timestamp='1368634245' post='7040778']
[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1368550653' post='7033402']
This thing is really getting some bad reviews. I purchased one based off the technology it represents alone.
I used it yesterday for the first time and I was extremely impressed with the results. The app is great, the device seems ok, no problems.
More than anything [color=#ff0000][b]I identified things in my swing that I never knew were there[/b][/color]. They've caused problems for ever and I just never knew they were present. One 150 ball range session with this device and I was hitting dramatically more pure, straight, and better trajectory shots. Things were way more consistent.
If the devices holds up I honestly can't see this not dramatically improving my game.
[/quote]

You identified and fixed what ?
Your post has alot of hype and no tangible information.
[/quote]

[b]I identified swinging way past parallel. [/b]

People used to tell me I swung extremely hard and it never felt like it was past parallel. I also learned that shortening my swing to parallel did not reduce club head speed. In turn it dramatically increased ball striking. Using groove mode showed me and gave a great feel to the new position I need to take my backswing to. I actually can't see another good way to make such a dramatic correction in such a short time.
I've also learned my club head angle is too steep in my backswing along with a flat takeaway. All things you just can't feel. I haven't remedied the later few yet and may not since my impact angles are pretty good but those are nice to know and have especially to have a mimic-able swing that is good when the swing starts feeling off.
[/quote]
Video is better at identifying past parallel issues than a Skypro.
[/quote]
Not sure how that could be possible since skypro gives instant feedback and degrees to and pass parallel while video takes analysis...??? You opposition to a product does not mean that a clearly inferior method is better.

I really can't wait to finally receive this product. Have read the whole forum and what it is offering is outstanding value for $200. How much money do we shell out on the latest clubs!!! Despite the hardware issues, I think it is well worth the risk. We get to train with it before our golf competitors!

One suggestion. I have the common problem of crossing the line at the top. From this position it is very difficult for me to come down anywhere near on plane. It would seem to be an easy upgrade to let the user know if the shaft is pointing right of target (for right hander) at the top of backswing when the shaft is parallel to the ground. Can Skypro do this? If not, I think it would be a valuable addition.

Thanks again to Gord for the fantastic support.

I'm enjoying my skypro a lot. It's been helpful in connecting feel to reality, and in increasing swing speed. About the model swings, though. I bought the unit because I have a tendency to feel that I bring the club back outside then drop it inside when in fact I am doing the opposite. It looks to me like all the models do the same thing -- although some look like good paths into the ball, the backswing is always inside the downswing. You guys have had this gizmo longer than me; what are you trying to change about your swings, and how successful have you been? In what sense are the models models?

[quote name='howellhandmade' timestamp='1369569720' post='7109280']
I'm enjoying my skypro a lot. It's been helpful in connecting feel to reality, and in increasing swing speed. About the model swings, though. I bought the unit because I have a tendency to feel that I bring the club back outside then drop it inside when in fact I am doing the opposite. It looks to me like all the models do the same thing -- although some look like good paths into the ball, the backswing is always inside the downswing. You guys have had this gizmo longer than me; what are you trying to change about your swings, and how successful have you been? In what sense are the models models?
[/quote]

Interesting observation. Every swing I have made shows to be slightly OTT, where I never see that on video of my swings. I noticed every one of the sample swings that comes already loaded on the app shows a slight OTT move. I wonder why?

[quote name='DLiver' timestamp='1369586395' post='7110068']
[quote name='howellhandmade' timestamp='1369569720' post='7109280']
[/quote]

Interesting observation. Every swing I have made shows to be slightly OTT, where I never see that on video of my swings. I noticed every one of the sample swings that comes already loaded on the app shows a slight OTT move. I wonder why?
[/quote]

I've noticed the same thing. My swing on skypro is way other the top. My best guess is that it has to do with some of the angles, but I'm not sure. I notice that it does vary with different swings a little so its measuring something, but I also notice that it seems exaggerated.

[quote name='PJ72' timestamp='1369563746' post='7109112']
I'm quite interested in this product, and after the discussion in the tour tempo thread, how well does this device teach you the correct tempo?

Has anyone tried this yet?
[/quote]
It does measure tempo and has tempo in groove mode. I haven't worked on tempo but it seems to be as easy to work on in groove as the other aspects of the swing.

[quote name='adamjohn' timestamp='1369434561' post='7101826']

Thanks,
-adam
[/quote]

The attached photos show the results of my 16th swing, using my SkyPro ... & I'm not a very hard swinger.

[color=#0000cd][size=4]***** It took less than 5 minutes to get a response from Gord and an offer to send me a replacement tomorrow ... damn great Customer Service! *****[/size][/color]

As a person who has 30 years of experience in the plastic injection molding industry I can firmly say the steps the company has taken to improve their product are correct and were not cheap. They did it the right way. Even though the cost was not inexpensive and did put them behind when it comes to production. The different shrink rates between the original unfilled material and the new glass filled material might have also created some addition core and cavity work.
I'm going to guess they went with a 15% (maybe 33%) glass filled nylon. Whereas the original case was probably an ABS.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

Hi Guys,

GolfMonster2: Agreed that crossing the line at the top is both a valuable checkpoint and relatively easy to implement. I expect it to be in an app update soon.

PJ72: We put a lot of time into our tempo parameter (no pun intended). The challenge there was defining exactly when the swing starts. I'm simplifying quite a bit, but for the motion reconstruction we start at the top of the backswing and work backwards until the movement of the club reaches a minimum (in practice we also consider waggles before the swing, little bumps on the ground at the start of takeaway, etc., but that's the general idea). The problem with that method is it can vary by 100 ms or so between swings. This doesn't seem like much - it's half the average human reaction time - but when a typical downswing is around 300 ms long, it can really throw off the tempo ratio. So, in a special case for tempo, we consider the backswing to start only after the club has moved back by a few degrees. This lowers the 'true' backswing time by a negligible amount, but makes our tempo values MUCH more consistent between swings.

I personally find the tempo parameter to be quite helpful for my swing. If left to its own devices, my tempo tends to slowly speed up - with the opposite effect on the ball. But when I'm testing tempo groove, and I know my SkyPro is watching me, I'm much better at keeping a consistent tempo.

Howelhandmade: We're working at getting you better demo swings. One of those demo swings is mine, which should certainly not be a model swing...

Gord

My unit started splitting apart after about 50 swings, hopefully the new one that Adam/Gord are sending me will hold up better.

I love the product (while it was working), but without seeing real pro swings to compare to it's hard to really get a good idea of what areas I need to improve on, since most of my swings had no alerts (and I'm a 20+ handicapper). It would be amazing to see a side-by-side comparison to a pro with a similar height and ball flight.

I would also love to have the ability to fine tune the alert ranges once I get my swing dialed in. I tried making a few poor swings on purpose, and could only get 1 or 2 alerts to pop up.

Tom

[quote name='SecovnieT' timestamp='1369776117' post='7122864']
My unit started splitting apart after about 50 swings, hopefully the new one that Adam/Gord are sending me will hold up better.

I love the product (while it was working), but without seeing real pro swings to compare to it's hard to really get a good idea of what areas I need to improve on, since most of my swings had no alerts (and I'm a 20+ handicapper). It would be amazing to see a side-by-side comparison to a pro with a similar height and ball flight.

I would also love to have the ability to fine tune the alert ranges once I get my swing dialed in. I tried making a few poor swings on purpose, and could only get 1 or 2 alerts to pop up.

Tom
[/quote]
Youre right I do with we could fine tune the alerts. I'm a 3 handicap and I always have 1 alert, normally 2 and sometimes 3! One of the alerts is just not something I am physically able to change without a complete remake of my swing which in season is not what I'm looking to do. Ignoring that aspect or alerting me if it gets even worse would be nice but the constant alert just makes me ignore the alerts.

Ive looked but didnt find any info on whether android is coming. Anyone know? If it's not, at least ipad. From what I read on the golfsmith site, it currently syncs only to an ios smartphone.

Ping I20 10.5* and 16.5*
Mizuno MP-52 4-PW, plus 1/2"
Cleveland 52* and 58*
Coutour Tri-Fit, Gullane, 350g
Bridgestone B-330S

[quote name='BigOgolfer' timestamp='1369981314' post='7141250']
Ive looked but didnt find any info on whether android is coming. Anyone know? If it's not, at least ipad. From what I read on the golfsmith site, it currently syncs only to an ios smartphone.
[/quote]
Because of how the skypro calibrates and the vast variety of hardware android operates on it probably will never be released. There can't be any consistency in calibration with the sizes shapes and lacking hardware in many androids.

Just picked up a skypro, mainly due to the feedback of this forum and the constant improvements and additions getting mentioned in this forum. I actually had the 3bays unit and returned an exchanged for te skypro. Really looking forward to using it more and improving my swing.

Thanks for all of the help and really looking forward to this golf season.

Todd