SkyPro - really impressive

[quote name='AnthonyTX' timestamp='1368028844' post='6992388']
Did you catch the request for numerical input for groove? I truly believe that would be very beneficial since there is so much isolation it shouldn't need to be based off a swing.
[/quote]

Want to second this. Think it is the biggest improvement needed at this point.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stryker mentioned a few pages back getting weird readings with a lob wedge. Anybody else seeing something similar?

Thats the only thing i've had a chance to swing with it yet (indoors) and it says i'm ~ 10degrees outside on takeaway and ~19 degrees outside on the way down. I hardly ever slice the ball so having a tough time agreeing with these numbers. I've even tried exaggerated inside takeaways and it still says i'm a few degrees outside.

Hopefully this is just a lob wedge deal - or maybe my swing is just that bad.

When can we expect the Skypro to function with Android phones?

RYAN

[b]Fairway Golf Online Store[/b] :golfer:
Website: [url="http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com"]http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com[/url]
Email: [email="[email protected]?subject=GolfWRX%20Inquiry"][email protected][/email]
Instagram:[url="https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/"]https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/[/url]
Phone: 1-619-702-1702

Gord,

First off, congrats on such a well designed device. It truly going to help all golfer at any level. My question for you would involve using the Skypro on green side bunkers shots which require the most attention in my game. The problem is I don't want to copy my swing out of the bunker because I don't think it's good enough. What I would like to see is a pro's swing, say Luke Donald and be able to groove my swing out of the bunker as close to a match as his with all the different check points.

My second question is why doesn't Skypro have its own website. There should be a place to go to after using the Skypro on a range session and find help or corrections to some of the alerts I'm getting when practicing. An example of this would be the swinging past parallel alert I got over and over again when I used the Skypro for the first time. Instead of having a Skypro web site with videos and suggestions to fix this flaw I spent the night looking up corrections on google. Just makes sense to have a site for this and when I saw Hank Haney and Michael Breed where endorsing the product I thought thats what they would bring to the table.

Hopefully these are things you will be working on down the road.

I just pulled mine out today. It keeps disconnecting from my iPhone and swings over 120 mph I get a "didn't register swing."

Also several times it wouldn't reconnect to phone and said "not in range" when I put Phone a few inches away.

I used another phone to make sure it wasn't an issue with my phone and had same issues.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I charged mine last night and that went well. I tried it out today in the back yard hitting into a net and it seemed to work very well. I had no problems pairing, or calibrating my 7 iron. The main alert I kept getting was too far outside, halfway back. It was reporting any where from 10 to 16 degrees outside. That would be consistent with a big fade ball flight I have a tendency to fight. I did about 20 swings with it, and toward the end it reported that I was much closer to parallel to the target line at halfway back. It was reporting anywhere from 0 to 3 degrees outside. Of course you really can't tell if the results are a "for real" improvement hitting into a net. I will do some grooving drills and then head to the range and see if it results in actual improvement. If it does, it will have gone a long ways toward paying for itself.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

For all you users, I'm going to repost some info about how SkyPro calculates swing parameters relative to target line. This is a key factor in using SP to analyze your swing:

"SkyPro does not know where you are aiming or if you are aligned to your target line. Therefore, SkyPro has to assume that your clubface is square at address to your target line and that you are lined up square to your target line. If the clubface is closed at address, the Takeaway Angle at Half Back has a greater likelihood of showing inside, even if you are on plane. If your clubface is open at address, the Takeaway Angle at Half Back has a greater likelihood of showing outside even if you are on plane. Using alignment sticks, or placing clubs on the ground, as alignment aids to assist you in your body and club alignment can help you to point your clubface at your intended target and achieve a more square position at address. This will ensure more accurate readings of your swing. We have a number of recommended alignment aids to assist you in working on this important aspect of improving your swing and assisting the SkyPro in providing accurate representations of your swing plane."

This is from the SkyPro FAQ

[quote name='jut111' timestamp='1368035466' post='6993194']
Thats the only thing i've had a chance to swing with it yet (indoors) [/quote]
No need for indoor swings now.
Unless you are in Alaska.
Report back with real swings, hitting balls,

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

[quote name='SunkTheBirdie' timestamp='1368106402' post='6998406']
[quote name='jut111' timestamp='1368035466' post='6993194']
Thats the only thing i've had a chance to swing with it yet (indoors) [/quote]
No need for indoor swings now.
Unless you are in Alaska.
Report back with real swings, hitting balls,
[/quote]

I hear ya. sadly we're in the midst of a bunch of rain here in the northeast. I did manage to get some 7 iron swings in under the low ceiling and the numbers looked much more realistic for me.

I still haven't received my shipping info after I was told last week I would receive by weds. Yesterday, by two support people.

So I tried to cancel and called yesterday and person says I can't cancel. He goes ill have to receive the device then not open it and return it on my dime to get my money back.

Was not happy with the overall service.

[quote name='Epriley' timestamp='1368115269' post='6999512']
I still haven't received my shipping info after I was told last week I would receive by weds. Yesterday, by two support people.

So I tried to cancel and called yesterday and person says I can't cancel. He goes ill have to receive the device then not open it and return it on my dime to get my money back.

Was not happy with the overall service.
[/quote]

SkyPro customer service handling cancellations is terrible. I had to call a few times and each time they promised it was cancelled. Finally the 3rd time they apologized and said it was cancelled but a supervisor has to approve the refund an the request was never put in. Really bad.

[quote name='DLiver' timestamp='1368098327' post='6997814']
For all you users, I'm going to repost some info about how SkyPro calculates swing parameters relative to target line. This is a key factor in using SP to analyze your swing:

"SkyPro does not know where you are aiming or if you are aligned to your target line. Therefore, SkyPro has to assume that your clubface is square at address to your target line and that you are lined up square to your target line. If the clubface is closed at address, the Takeaway Angle at Half Back has a greater likelihood of showing inside, even if you are on plane. If your clubface is open at address, the Takeaway Angle at Half Back has a greater likelihood of showing outside even if you are on plane. Using alignment sticks, or placing clubs on the ground, as alignment aids to assist you in your body and club alignment can help you to point your clubface at your intended target and achieve a more square position at address. This will ensure more accurate readings of your swing. We have a number of recommended alignment aids to assist you in working on this important aspect of improving your swing and assisting the SkyPro in providing accurate representations of your swing plane."

This is from the SkyPro FAQ
[/quote]

I set up with my clubface noticeably open at address for all my clubs so I'm guessing the plane feature would keep saying I'm outside. Great info and I'll keep that in mind when I decide to buy one of these bad boys. Heard a lot of great stuff about the SkyPro.

RYAN

[b]Fairway Golf Online Store[/b] :golfer:
Website: [url="http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com"]http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com[/url]
Email: [email="[email protected]?subject=GolfWRX%20Inquiry"][email protected][/email]
Instagram:[url="https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/"]https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/[/url]
Phone: 1-619-702-1702

[quote name='cabtn' timestamp='1368147380' post='7002766']
Help please. Everything is working well with my new SkyPro. Is there a way to transfer the swings from my iPhone to my MacBook Pro for better viewing? Thanks.
[/quote]

No, there isnt an app for the MBP yet. I brought this up to Gord previously, hopefully they get something so you can review swings on a laptop. A cloud based systems would be cool and easy to implement.

[quote name='SStirling070' timestamp='1368149125' post='7002950']
[quote name='cabtn' timestamp='1368147380' post='7002766']
Help please. Everything is working well with my new SkyPro. Is there a way to transfer the swings from my iPhone to my MacBook Pro for better viewing? Thanks.
[/quote]

No, there isnt an app for the MBP yet. I brought this up to Gord previously, hopefully they get something so you can review swings on a laptop. A cloud based systems would be cool and easy to implement.
[/quote]

Haven't looked into it yet but based on a previous question here it seems there is some way (in theory) to transfer them to an iPad at least.

Hi Guys,

AnthonyTX and SStirling: message received about a numerical target in groove. We had discussed that a bit before release, but decided to leave it out of version 1. Obviously there's lots of interest in it though, so we'll definitely open the topic back up. Also searching for custom group names is a great idea, I'll add that to the list.

dslatt: Thanks! Pro swings to download & groove against are definitely in our plan. We need to get our device on their club to measure a swing, which makes it harder to obtain than video. I don't have a date yet, but I agree it's something that would be very useful. (Also being able to set a numeric parameter for groove manually would help in your situation too?). Great idea about the website.

cabtn: Sorry, no app for macbook pro. SStirling is right, a cloud based system is in the works. Also, as swingnmiss mentioned, you should be able to email the swing to an iPad now if you have one.

Motoman: appreciate the details. I've been able to recreate that problem now I think, so I'll work on a fix.

MonteScheinblum: Our Bluetooth range should be much better than that. Could the SkyPro be almost out of batteries by any chance? If you keep having problems please PM me and I can look into it further.

Epriley & Hamburglar: I'm sorry to hear about your problems ordering & canceling. This is definitely something we can do better.

Finally, a few of you have mentioned target line and I wanted to expand on that subject a bit. Dliver's info is correct, we do assume the target line is where your club face is pointing at address. This is something we can't measure directly with our sensors. Our strategy was to try to define our checkpoints to mitigate the effects of this uncertainty. For example, face angle @ half back and half down aren't affected by target line because they're measured to the vertical (which we can measure accurately). The backswing length and shaft angles are also not practically affected by target line. Shaft lean checkpoints are affected, but to only some extent. Return and takeaway checkpoints are most affected by target line, but we include them because we think they are still useful. For example, I used to take my club away inside by 25° or more. While developing groove mode, I reduced my takeaway angle @ half back to 0-5° inside, which noticeably improved my ball flight. Conversely, an example of a checkpoint we did not include was face angle to target line; a few degrees in this parameter can be the difference between hook or slice.

Gord

[quote name='Cartrydge ' timestamp='1368219479' post='7008572']
Just picked mine up no real alerts with the swing just face is a little shut on downswing which I always battle. Pretty slick to see your swing in 3d. My biggest question is what is tempo and what numbers do you want there?
[/quote]

Well question isn't important anymore. Took it back out in the garage to hit a few more and the thing already broke. Case came apart and microchip was just hanging out. Looks like the plastic seperated and broke where a screw holds it together. Piece of GARBAGE

[quote name='SStirling070' timestamp='1367891344' post='6983002']
Maybe someone can clarify this for me. The app says that face angle at half-back and half-down should be/tends to be 30*-40* and parallel to your spine. Why shouldn't it be 0* or vertical and parallel to the target line at half back?
[/quote]

I think all would agree that if you were standing straight up and swinging the club on a horizontal plane, that the toe should point straight up(on the same angle as the spine).

So, when the golfer bends over and swings the club on an inclined plane, it only makes sense that the face angle would match their spine angle and/or be perpendicular to their swing path.

G430 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | TM TP Bandon 1 | Pro V1x

Picked mine up at GolfSmith on Friday, after ordering on their website to get the 15% discount for a "swing training aid". Saved $30 over the preorder price from SkyGolf!

Now for the bad news! After charging the SP in the car with the SkyGolf car charger, and pairing it successfully with my iPad, calibrating my 6 iron, and making some 20 swings with it, I removed the SP from the 6 iron. The small black rubber pad on white piece that screws the SP tight onto the club shaft fell out of the small hole and completely detached itself, falling onto the floor. Had I been on the driving range, it would certainly have been permanently lost!! Reinserting this tiny rubber piece back into the hole will not secure it in place, and whatever adhesive should be securing it in place has failed miserably! This tiny rubber component is critical to properly securing the SP to the club shaft. Without it, the larger rubber piece under the main piece will have bare white plastic being screwed into contact with the shaft, which has no give and will surely crack during screwing the SP tight. This appears to be a serious design flaw which will affect most units within a short period of use, causing loss of the tiny rubber piece, rendering the SP useless.

At this point, I cannot use the SP except by leaving it permanently attached to one club, after carefully holding the rubber in place during attachment of the SP. However, since the rubber can still twist around the hole that it fits into, without a proper adhesive to permanently secure it, any results obtained are now suspect.

In the mean time, any suggestions as to how to properly attempt to permanently resecure the tiny black rubber piece to the white plastic would be appreciated. However, given the small size and the initial failure after manufacturing, I am skeptical that without a redesign of the SP that it will survive heavy use that any user would require. The SP should be designed to be quickly and safely moved from club to club without the critical rubber piece shifting or falling out and being lost on the ground.

Otherwise, I am excited to see it live up to the potential that inspired me to purchase it in the first place.

Gord, what would you recommend that I do? Can you get me a unit without this inherent problem?

Cheers!