2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Bandon Dunes questions

TheCityGame

Thinking about a trip to Bandon next year in September, and I'm in the very early stages of planning it.

Preliminary itinerary. 4 rounds:

Fly in on a Saturday evening.

Stay Saturday night.

18 on Sunday.

Stay Sunday night.

36 on Monday.

Stay Monday night.

18 on Tuesday.

Red-eye home Tuesday night.

Is that cramming too much in?

With the current rates for the cheapest room, the lodging and golf would be about $1300. Figure another few hundred for food. Sound about right?

Should I think about playing one of the courses twice? Or playing the "preserve" course one day?

Would you recommend staying another day?

Should we budget for caddies?

How much more do you get dinged there on "incidentals", "tips", etc?

I know there are other things to do there, but if I'm travelling 4000 miles, I really don't think I'm going to miss a round of golf to go "sail boarding".

Thanks for commenting on these questions, and any other things you can think of that I might not have listed would be appreciated.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='TheCityGame' timestamp='1360685403' post='6413351']
Thinking about a trip to Bandon next year in September, and I'm in the very early stages of planning it.

Stay Saturday night.
18 on Sunday.
Stay Sunday night.
36 on Monday.
Stay Monday night.
18 on Tuesday.

With the current rates for the cheapest room, the lodging and golf would be about $1300. Figure another few hundred for food. Sound about right?

Should I think about playing one of the courses twice? Or playing the "preserve" course one day?

I know there are other things to do there, but if I'm travelling 4000 miles, I really don't think I'm going to miss a round of golf to go "sail boarding".

Thanks for commenting on these questions, and any other things you can think of that I might not have listed would be appreciated.
[/quote]

Honestly, I would try to cram a lot more golf into that schedule. Don't know what kind of shape you are in but if you are flying in Saturday night I would at least get 36 holes scheduled for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. If after those 36 you are still feeling good you can get in another round or 9 holes or what not for free by taking part in their replay deal.

For what it's worth, I've scheduled a first-time trip there in July, on an even tighter schedule (18+Preserve, then 36 the next day, then 36 the following day before redeye that evening through SFO). If you have a caddy -- which everyone recommends b/c of the course nuances -- that will lighten your load and facilitate 36 even if you usually just play 18.

Yes, you should budget for caddies. There are a few holes on each course that you will have a hard time finding the tee boxes. The dunes hide a lot of everything. Not to mention how valuable they are with their course knowledge. These courses are tricky, especially if you haven't played much seaside links golf. After you have played each course a few times, caddies aren't quite as important.

I also recommend playing 36 per day so you can take advantage of the replay rates.

What did you pay the caddies?

At a course I play sometimes, it's usually $50-$75 per bag per round.

FWIW, I always carry (when I can) and walk. I'm in good enough shape. My father will be 72 and he always walks and pushes. 36 back to back would be tough for him, but not everyone has to play every round, either.

Sounds like I want to fit in a little more golf.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I usually plan on paying $100-$120 per round for caddies. Pretty sure thats standard, unless its changes with seasons.You might be able to save a few bucks, by using your replays on the same course, while its still fresh in your mind,and don't use a caddy. Good chance you could get hooked up with another player that does have a caddy that you can eavesdrop from.

You're talking 100-120 per man per bag? Website says caddies are usually on two bags.

The web site does indicate that you can get a group caddy to guide you around and offer advice on playing, rake bunkers, etc.

I'm not trying to cheap out, here, but if you're talking about an extra $500 per man for the trip, it's not exactly peanuts. That's practically another golf trip.

Thanks.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

You should cram as much golf in as the sunlight allows and stay as long your budget allows. Definitely play the Preserve, it might be the most fun course on the resort.

The standard is $75-100 per bag before tip, so two bags will cost the same regardless if you have a single caddy or two. And you get the same caddy/caddies for all rounds unless you don't like your caddy and let the super know (I used the same caddy for the first round I played at each course). I personally think have a good pair of caddies can make a good trip great, simply because of their course insight and overall knowledge about Bandon. FWIW, I'm in my late 20s and athletic, walk 99% of my rounds, and have a home course thats quite hilly. On the last day of my trip I was happy that half of my rounds up until that point had a caddy.

The food prices are not too bad and depending on how much you typically eat, I believe the resort offers meal packages as well to subsidize the cost. The real killer could be how much you spend at the pro shops buying your Bandon memorabilia.

You are right it ain't cheap. We had a fore caddie for a 3 day tournament, and I think we paid $150 per round with tip. Talking with the caddy he said some of the caddies hate fore-caddying because they prefer to double bag and make more money. Can't blame em.

What do you want in a caddy? I could recommend a couple for you.

My Bandon memorabilia will be a ball mark repair tool or a bucket hat. I'm not too sentimental.

Vince. . .when the trip is closer, I'll ask for recommendations. Personally, I don't mind a guy who likes to talk, smoke, make jokes, and is not afraid to give me information overload.

I'm not the kind of guy looking for a caddy to keep his head down, and blend in.

Thanks.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Some people need a caddy at Bandon, others don't. I don't really need someone to suggest putting lines to me and rake the traps. A rangefinder tells me what I need to know on yardages and carry distances. So long as you're not playing in fog, the courses generally are out there in front of you with few blind tee shots. I like to figure it out on my own without the interaction provided by a caddy. Get a yardage book for a lot less money...

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

For those saying you don't need a caddy, this is what I tell people.

Playing #8 on Pac Dunes, hit a great drive in the middle of the fairway. Sitting 130 yards from the pin with what felt like a slight breeze into my face. So I ask the caddy is he thinking 8 iron (2nd round together and he has a good idea of my distances). He says "No hit this".

Ok, didn't even look at the club number and proceeded to hit one of the purest shots I've ever hit 8 ft from the pin. I look at the club and he handed me a 6 iron. I responded with "the wind doesn't feel that strong, maybe 10 - 12 mph". He said either way it's a 2 1/2 club wind.

That hole is deceiving. I think the green is more elevated than it appears. I left it short both times I played it and it isn't the easiest green to chip to with the false front. Get a caddy if you want to -- i prefer the challenge of figuring out a course on my own.

Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S

Cameron Mil-Spec 

[quote name='dave willie' timestamp='1360712010' post='6416351']
That hole is deceiving. I think the green is more elevated than it appears. I left it short both times I played it and it isn't the easiest green to chip to with the false front. Get a caddy if you want to -- i prefer the challenge of figuring out a course on my own.
[/quote]

I should add that as an Oregonian visiting a small town, I like helping out the local economy.

Nothing wrong with not using one.

My trip is in 44 days :-)

It will be my first time there. Like you, I just can't get over the cost of the caddie. But I'm doing the forecaddie route. It's $25/man instead of $80-100 man for a "full caddie". According to the people I spoke to in reservations, we will get the full caddie services minus carrying the bag. They key, obviously, is having someone for advice, lining you up on the tee on blind shots, stories and local course knowledge. If you check out the course camera periodically, you'll see that there are a LOT of people with pull carts. Obviously not everyone feels you need a caddie.

I think this has been posted on another Bandon thread, but there is a TON of Bandon info at TheItinerantGolfer.com

http://theitinerantgolfer.com/the-ultimate-bandon-dunes-golf-resort-travel-planner/

FWIW, I'm going later this year and have decided to skip the caddies. It's a stretch for me to make the trip and caddie fees for 8 rounds adds up in a big way.

Thanks everybody.

That's all really good to know. I'm going to get around to booking this soon. I definitely think I'll try squeezing in additional rounds.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

[quote name='mallrat' timestamp='1360736985' post='6418847']
Let me add as a side note.

If someone in your group has a caddy and you get some info from him, whether it be putts, clubs off the tee, anything. Give him/her a tip. Doesn't have to be much but it goes a long way
[/quote]

+1 I slipped a ten to the caddie for the other two guys in our group.

Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S

Cameron Mil-Spec 

My two cents: Went for the first time in November. Brought along a friend who is probably a 30 handicap if he counted everything. I felt I didn't need a caddie, but got one for him. Paired up w/2 guys (both pretty good, had played there before - one from the middle tee, one from the back) who had caddies. OK, kind of awkward, I'm the only guy without a caddie, whatever, lets play. All 3 caddies were great, but frankly only one hole on Pacific Dunes did I feel really lost. The back tee caddie helped me with the line off a blind uphill tee shot and saved my a** because I would have been aiming at the ocean and not something green.

Anyway, great round, the caddies were fun, good stories, but... I could definitely tell they were a little chilled toward the dude who was without a caddie (that would be me). Nothing overt, just that they were being paid by their own bag and the bag came first. I totally agree with that and thanked them whenever they directed a tip or local knowledge my way. At the end I tipped each of the three $20. I still didn't think I needed a caddie, but yes, the experience was better for being around them. All were clearly good players in their own right (one had a course record on the property), polite, patient, informative and certainly helped my buddy. I just found it was a little crowded on some of the greens with 7 of us standing around at times and I can carry my own bag just fine. Next time I'll probably go with a caddie, just for fun.

[quote name='cottonseed' timestamp='1360728608' post='6418231']
I think this has been posted on another Bandon thread, but there is a TON of Bandon info at TheItinerantGolfer.com

[url="http://theitinerantgolfer.com/the-ultimate-bandon-dunes-golf-resort-travel-planner/"]http://theitinerantg...travel-planner/[/url]

FWIW, I'm going later this year and have decided to skip the caddies. It's a stretch for me to make the trip and caddie fees for 8 rounds adds up in a big way.
[/quote]

There's nothing that requires you to have caddies for all your rounds. If possible, simply have a caddy for the first round you play at each course (not necessarily needed on Preserve)

While I like figuring out courses on my own as much as the next guy, considering how much I am paying for a trip to Bandon, there was no way I was guessing which way to hit my tee shot. And given the subtleties of a links course, what you see isn't always what you get.

Group caddy might be the way to go. At least for finding one's way around, or pointing out lines.

Still a lot to decide. Like I said above, my dad is going to be 72, so a caddy might be the difference between whether he can play 36 or not.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I played there a couple summers ago, with my brother and one other buddy. All of us are under 30 (under 10 hdcps) and in the military so not couch potatoes by any stretch. We played 18 the afternoon we got in, and 36 the next day. I would say 36 3 days in a row as some suggest is a stretch, regardless of fitness level, just my opinion though. The way we saw it, we were there to enjoy ourselves, once in a lifetime...not looking to come limping in on the back 9 of the 5th round. As for caddies, one member in our group elected to get one, and we enjoyed it just fine without. If I were to do 36 multiple days, I would recommend getting one for the second rd each day though. Just wanted to give another opinion, hope it helps...enjoy yourself, great place.

-Kent

I agree that 36 a day can be a challenge. Given your (the OPs) schedule, I would try to do 36 the first day, but not on the last day. Doing 36 holes on "getaway day" from BD would be torture. One tip: on the days you play 36, change your shoes and socks between rounds. It will make a big difference in how you feel during your second round.

[quote name='tonster' timestamp='1360776519' post='6421111']
[quote name='cottonseed' timestamp='1360728608' post='6418231']

[url="http://theitinerantgolfer.com/the-ultimate-bandon-dunes-golf-resort-travel-planner/"]http://theitinerantg...travel-planner/[/url]

[/quote]

There's nothing that requires you to have caddies for all your rounds. If possible, simply have a caddy for the first round you play at each course (not necessarily needed on Preserve)

While I like figuring out courses on my own as much as the next guy, considering how much I am paying for a trip to Bandon, there was no way I was guessing which way to hit my tee shot. And given the subtleties of a links course, what you see isn't always what you get.
[/quote]

I may take a caddie for some rounds, I'm going to play it by ear and see how I feel. I should have qualified my statement that I wasn't planning to take a caddie by saying that I have been to Bandon before. I did take one for all rounds last time I was there, but I had more money back then! :)

[quote name='parsonsk' timestamp='1360789164' post='6422667']
I played there a couple summers ago, with my brother and one other buddy. All of us are under 30 (under 10 hdcps) and in the military so not couch potatoes by any stretch. We played 18 the afternoon we got in, and 36 the next day. I would say 36 3 days in a row as some suggest is a stretch, regardless of fitness level, just my opinion though. The way we saw it, we were there to enjoy ourselves, once in a lifetime...not looking to come limping in on the back 9 of the 5th round. As for caddies, one member in our group elected to get one, and we enjoyed it just fine without. If I were to do 36 multiple days, I would recommend getting one for the second rd each day though. Just wanted to give another opinion, hope it helps...enjoy yourself, great place.

-Kent
[/quote]

Just came back from trip where we played 18 when we got there, 36 4 days in a row and 13 before we left. Ages 40-60 and not all that fit, but all guys who walk when we golf and play 2-4 times per week most of the year.

I am 40, in okay shape, but 30lbs overweight I carried every round, drank at night and felt fine. I did train the month before by making sure to run 10+miles per week on top of playing golf so I did up my fitness level before leaving.

I took a caddie once, it was fine for a one time thing but I was just as happy to carry my own bag. I keep my bag very light and have nothing it in it except 3-6 balls, some extra gloves and a towel. After my first 3 rounds in Bandon I pulled 2 wedges (just needed one for the sand) as I found I was not hitting full wedge shots anyway. I also pulled me three wood. As I could not hit it off the hard turf, and my 19* hibred was a good short option off the tee. The 11 club bag felt so light!

[quote name='lowndes' timestamp='1360685683' post='6413405']
[quote name='TheCityGame' timestamp='1360685403' post='6413351']

Stay Saturday night.
18 on Sunday.
Stay Sunday night.
36 on Monday.
Stay Monday night.
18 on Tuesday.

[/quote]

Honestly, I would try to cram a lot more golf into that schedule. Don't know what kind of shape you are in but if you are flying in Saturday night I would at least get 36 holes scheduled for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. If after those 36 you are still feeling good you can get in another round or 9 holes or what not for free by taking part in their replay deal.
[/quote]

3 days of 36 holes? will save on airfare, because you'll just have to pay to get there and be brought home in a coffin.