Aftermarket Scotty Cameron Style Weights

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just put the 15g gram aftermarket weights on my notchback. they look almost identical to the originals to me other than the cool "grinder" logo on the new ones. i used a hair dryer to heat the putter up to because the weights had never been removed before and i didnt feel like breaking the tool.

i also weighed both the new and old weights. the stock 10g cameron weights showed 9.4-9.6g on the scale. The aftermarket 15g weights were 14.7-14.8 or something like that. I remember that the aftermarket ones weighed closer to what was being advertised.

I was surprised to see that neither were the exact advertised weight. who knows how accurate the scale was though. in the end, it makes no difference to me because i would never be able to feel the difference with it being off so little. so far i like the added weight. i wish i could actually try it out on the course though, currently all of the courses are flooded lagoons after record rain falls.

First off, I know that the Scotty purists will disagree with using an aftermarket weight, but I wanted to snaz up my putter and being unable to purchase stamped weights directly from Scotty (without sending to the custom shop) I decided to search on eBay. In my search I came across a set of "grinder" style Scotty Cameron aftermarket weights and I decided to document the installation and my thoughts on the product.

1) Here is the link to what I purchased and a few notes on the product:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c6cb3beeb

$35 includes two 10g weights, a wrench and shipping. These weights are also available in a variety of colors and other stamps such as: Crowns; Stars, Superman Logo and plain numbers from the seller.

3.jpg2.jpg

The weights were shipped from a local address and took approximately 3 business days to arrive, but most likely originate from another country as the note inside read:

"Note: The original weights on the club, have glue on the thread and inside, so if the original weights never be opened before, it is dogged, the wrench may be broken, you should heat the weight at first, then it will be easy to twisted.

2) Thoughts on the quality of the weights:

• The weights appear to be good quality; although the wrench (while heavy and gets the job done) seems like it wouldn't last for multiple installs, specifically due to the prongs. I would have to imagine that the Scotty Cameron tool is superior especially for someone who plans to frequently change their weights.
  • To my eye the red color matches exactly to the Scotty Cameron translucent red

4.jpg

• The weights are the 10g each that they claimed. This was verified on an electronic scale.
  • Unlike the Scotty Cameron factory weights, these have a slight bevel on the outside facing edge. When the weights are installed, this gives the appearance that they are recessed, even though they are relatively flush to the bottom of the putter. This will most likely not impact performance.
  • Unlike the factory Scotty Cameron weights which have clear milling marks on the inside, these weights are absent of them, leading me to believe they may be manufactured in a different way. Again – I cannot imagine this will impact quality or performance (Scotty Cameron on Left, Aftermarket on Right).

8.jpg

3) Installation:

1. First remove the weights. As the poorly written note above suggests, the original weights are glued (probably Loctite). Removing the weights did not require heat; however, a little pressure was required.

2. Once removed; the empty weight holes will be quite dirty. I used a little soap and hot water, combined with a wooden toothpick to clean the threads and holes. I made sure to thoroughly dry with a paper towel and even used a blow dryer with some heat to ensure all moisture was gone.
  • (Before Cleaning)

5.jpg

• (After Cleaning)

6.jpg

3. In order to replicate the factory installation, I used Loctite blue 242 (removable) on the new threads and screwed them into the putter.

7.jpg

Overall a very easy swap and I have to say I am quite happy with the result. The putter performs exactly as before; has the same feel and overall there is no perceivable difference with the putter after the installation.

9.jpg

10.jpg

I have a SC Newport 2 that is 33" and it comes with two 20g weights.

If I cut if down an inch, would replacing the orginals with two 25g weights keep the putter at the same swingweight?

[quote name='wbond' timestamp='1366983756' post='6921389']
Does anyone notice a slightly different feel and sound with these weights? Not sure how the weights would do this, but it just seems to have a little difference to me.
[/quote]

Could be the extra weight. I had a friend send his putter back to Titleist and they installed heavier weights. His putter definitely sounded and felt different with the heavier weights.

[quote name='Llortamaisey' timestamp='1366984638' post='6921509']
Does anyone notice a slightly different feel and sound with these weights? Not sure how the weights would do this, but it just seems to have a little difference to me.
[/quote]

Could be the extra weight. I had a friend send his putter back to Titleist and they installed heavier weights. His putter definitely sounded and felt different with the heavier weights.
[/quote]

You could be right i played today and a guy in our group i turned on to these weights,his are the 30"s and the sound and feel is way different than mine with 20's?..

[quote name='MCCA' timestamp='1367094089' post='6928353']
[/quote]

[/quote]

You could be right i played today and a guy in our group i turned on to these weights,his are the 30"s and the sound and feel is way different than mine with 20's?..
[/quote]
Thanks, I did go with the heavier weights and at least I'm not imagining things. Wonder if anyone feels/hears the same thing going to lighter ones.

[quote name='k_stenger' timestamp='1364086867' post='6674973']
[quote name='jtitleist12' timestamp='1363887588' post='6658323']
Does anyone know if this seller also has these style weights to fit Fastback/Squareback models?
[/quote]
I have seen the Fastback/Squareback style weights on eBay; but I don't think they come in the same styles or the same quality as the weights listed above other than someone reselling authentic Scotty weights.
[/quote]I just picked up a used Fastback 1.0. Would love to add a pair of these to it. I see some on Ebay for $70 a pair. Too move for me for knockoffs. Any one found any cheaper.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

[quote name='wbond' timestamp='1367261762' post='6938675']
[quote name='MCCA' timestamp='1367094089' post='6928353']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Thanks, I did go with the heavier weights and at least I'm not imagining things. Wonder if anyone feels/hears the same thing going to lighter ones.
[/quote]

I kept the weight the same and I didn't notice any difference.

[quote name='dbdors' timestamp='1367716380' post='6971706']
Does anyone know if this seller also has these style weights to fit Fastback/Squareback models?
[/quote]
I have seen the Fastback/Squareback style weights on eBay; but I don't think they come in the same styles or the same quality as the weights listed above other than someone reselling authentic Scotty weights.
[/quote]I just picked up a used Fastback 1.0. Would love to add a pair of these to it. I see some on Ebay for $70 a pair. Too move for me for knockoffs. Any one found any cheaper.
[/quote]
Seems like too much $$ for these; I paid $35 with free shipping and it included the tool. Are you sure you weren't looking at an OEM set of weights that someone pulled?

Ive added the 20g weights to mine, just to try thm. Quality is great, however the putter now feels unbalanced with the 20g installed. To be honest the studio select line feels s**t compared to the earlier camerons anyway. Maybe its the shaft I dunno but feel isn't fantastic, actually its even worse with the heavier weights installed. 330g all the way for me!

[quote name='k_stenger' timestamp='1368029037' post='6992428']
[quote name='dbdors' timestamp='1367716380' post='6971706']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Seems like too much $$ for these; I paid $35 with free shipping and it included the tool. Are you sure you weren't looking at an OEM set of weights that someone pulled?
[/quote]I'm looking for the Fastback (& Squareback) weights, not those for the Newport, etc. Seems the fastback design are more expensive (rarer). If you found fastback for $35, then please let me know.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S

SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit

[quote name='dbdors' timestamp='1368042789' post='6993968']
I'm looking for the Fastback (& Squareback) weights, not those for the Newport, etc. Seems the fastback design are more expensive (rarer). If you found fastback for $35, then please let me know.
[/quote]
sorry, completely missed the "Fastback" reference. I believe you are correct, these are most likely more rare and therefore more expensive.

• 1 month later...

I have a 34" Newport 2 and put in two 20g weights and it's perfect!

The weights are great, easy to install. I used a bit of heat from a heat gun to remove the old weights, cleaned the putter cavity with warm soapy water and a quick blow dry, and then reverse threaded the new weights so that they screw in flush. I'm still going to add a bit of (blue) Loctite to them so they're installed correctly. I'm very happy with the look and the result.

I purchased mine from ebay seller '[url="http://stores.ebay.com/TopBrandCollection?_trksid=p2047675.l2563"]TopBrandCollection[/url]' - [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x20g-Weights-Replacement-Titleist-Scotty-Cameron-Putters-with-Wrench-Red-NEW-/190861398107?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123"]http://www.ebay.com/...E:X:AAQ:US:1123[/url]

[attachment=1780582:scotty20g.png]

The aftermarket weights seem fine from a quality standpoint, and a number of nice engravings are available. I've used some in a few projects. Keep in mind they are usually not stainless steel, so they may not accept an aftermarket finish that works for the putter head. One of the above posters makes an excellent point that the Scotty 10 gram weights can be modified upon removal by adding tungsten powder in their hollow cavity - obviously the number on the weight will become irrelevant, however.

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about doing this as well. Prefer to buy from C911 on eBay which is based in the USA. Just extended a 33" Studio Select Newport to 35". It currently has the 20g weights but I just added a Super Stroke fatso 5.0 on top of the 2" extension. Going to play around with it but I'm thinking the 25g weights would be better to offset the heavier grip

Driver: Cobra LTDx LS w/ Ventus Red 
FW: TM Sim2 Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Blue

Hybrid: PING 425  w/ Rogue 95tx

Irons: Cobra Forded Tec 22' 4-PW w/ Recoil 1110 F5
Wedges: Edel SMS 54-58
Putter: Cobra Stingray 40

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCOTTY-CAMERON-PUTTER-WEIGHTS-2x20GM-TRANS-BLUE-NEW-GRINDER-BOMBS-VERY-COOL-/261259619366?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item3cd4496c26"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCOTTY-CAMERON-PUTTER-WEIGHTS-2x20GM-TRANS-BLUE-NEW-GRINDER-BOMBS-VERY-COOL-/261259619366?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item3cd4496c26[/url]

Callaway Epic Speed - Diamana BF 60TX
Callaway Epic Speed 16.5FW - Diamana BF 70TX
Callaway XForged '18 UT 21* - PX 6.5
Callaway XForged '18 4i 5i 6i - PX 6.5
Callaway Apex MB '18 7i 8i 9i PW - PX 6.5
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw 52S* PX 6.0 - 56C* PX 6.0 - 60X* PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jjrussell12' timestamp='1376951542' post='7708030']
Just got some weights for my GoLo, but cannot get the original weights off my putter. Any suggestions? How much heat have people been putting on there?
[/quote]

Try holding it under a hair dryer for a minute or two. It takes a firm jolt to break the Loctite bond but that much heat makes it much easier.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought 20g weights and they both weight in at 19g. My guess is that is due to my scale inaccuracies.

SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my pair of 30g weights in today... After a lot of heat and torque, they finally came out. I didnt install them all the way (loctite & torque) because I wanted to get a few putts in to make sure that the weight felt good. I can already tell a difference & love the weight, but when I stroked a couple putts on my carpet, my petter felt slightly off. There seemed to be a hollow/rattle feeling when it strikes the ball. Is this the purpose of the Loctite, and when I finish the install tomorrow will this go away?

Titleist 915 D4 8.5* Matrix Ozik 72g S
Titleist 910f 13.5 Diamana Ahina 73g
Taylormade Rocketballz Tour 18*
Mizuno MP 64 4-pw PX 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM 56.08 / 60.04
Scotty Cameron Newport Button Back

[quote name='bdspiker' timestamp='1381378185' post='7979445']
I just got my pair of 30g weights in today... After a lot of heat and torque, they finally came out. I didnt install them all the way (loctite & torque) because I wanted to get a few putts in to make sure that the weight felt good. I can already tell a difference & love the weight, but when I stroked a couple putts on my carpet, my petter felt slightly off. There seemed to be a hollow/rattle feeling when it strikes the ball. Is this the purpose of the Loctite, and when I finish the install tomorrow will this go away?
[/quote]

Could be due to no loctite usage.. mind you I used my authentic 20g custom shop weights with no loctite and never had a single issue. Putter always felt 100%.

[quote name='mcmanus' timestamp='1381431707' post='7982373']
[quote name='bdspiker' timestamp='1381378185' post='7979445']
[/quote]

Could be due to no loctite usage.. mind you I used my authentic 20g custom shop weights with no loctite and never had a single issue. Putter always felt 100%.
[/quote]

FInished the install today & Loctite did the trick... Putter feels amazing & after getting back from my club, I have A LOT of my confidence back. The cup seemed 2 ft wide. The mind is a powerful thing lol...

Titleist 915 D4 8.5* Matrix Ozik 72g S
Titleist 910f 13.5 Diamana Ahina 73g
Taylormade Rocketballz Tour 18*
Mizuno MP 64 4-pw PX 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM 56.08 / 60.04
Scotty Cameron Newport Button Back

I picked up a set of aftermarket weights from eBay for my squareback, and they're very nice. Weighed in at just the tick under 20, (19.3ish) and they look good. Putter feels great with them installed, no issues. 35 bucks for 20gm, he sells 30s for 60 bucks.
https://touch.ebay.com/tablet/item?itemId=261016082725&txnId=1286110788016&segment=Won

M5 w/Rogue
Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
MD3 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

• 3 months later...

Anyone know were i can get the grinder ones know? They arent on ebay anymore. I also saw fake circle t weights for the same price that i should of got. Is their a website that sells them?

913 D2 w/ MATRIX WHITE TIE
XCG6 w/ AXIVCORE BLUE
G20 19* HYBRID
X FORGED 4-PW w/ PX FLIGHTED
VOKEY 52, 56, MIZUNO TP-11 60
NEWPORT 2