2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Maui Golf...

SkyyDesigns

Hey fellas leaving for Maui in 2 weeks and already have 2 times booked for Kapalua Plantation which I've played many times and Royal Kaanapali. I've never played the Royal and RTJ Sr. who built one of my fav. courses Spyglass also built this...so really lookin forward to playin there. I was thinkin of bookin another time and was gon play the Bay course but will be heavily arified and sanded. I was looking into either playing the other course at Kaanapali or making a time at Wailea Gold. Anyone play all of these courses? And I'f so which would you recommend. $ is no object and as a +1.5 handi I love a challenge and want to play the best courses on the island. I am staying at the Kapalua Villas and got a good deal on Plantation as well as the Royal, which part of the deal I could play both Kaanapali courses for less than $300 anytime of day. The Bay was shut down last time and really was my 3rd choice, I really just don't wanna play it after being punched n sanded after only a week of curing. Anyways give me some input and any knowledge or opinion would be greatly appreciated...Thanx!

SLDR 430 TP 9* Matrix Ozik 7m3 X
SLDR TP/RBZ Tour P 15* & 19* 7m3 X
TaylorMade MB 3-9 KBS CTaper X
Titleist Vokey SM4 48-54-60 KBS blk/grn
Adidas-Coach-Versace
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mauiman' timestamp='1364674071' post='6726621']
I would skip the Royal Kaanapali and Wailea Gold. If you can, take the boat over to Lanai and play both of those courses. One of my favorite things to do by far.
[/quote]

100% agree... actually 200% agree. The 2 courses on Lanai are spectacular.

36 holes at Lanai was one of my favorite golf excursions. It was also the only time I've seen both ends of a rainbow on the range at the Lodge. Plenty of memorable holes there. I would skip Wailea and Royal for a day on Lanai. If you do head to Wailea, I would give Makena North a look. A lot of great views down there and some challenging holes.

Edit - nvm I just read that Makena is closed for renovation until 2014...

Well just booked a round early morning for The Challenge at Manele. Only can spend a half day as I have my family with me so now it's time to find a boat to get me over there...Thanx for all the input should have a killer time enjoying the Maui sun!

Adidas-Coach-Versace

[quote name='SkyyDesigns' timestamp='1364758021' post='6731609']
Well just booked a round early morning for The Challenge at Manele. Only can spend a half day as I have my family with me so now it's time to find a boat to get me over there...Thanx for all the input should have a killer time enjoying the Maui sun!
[/quote]

I have heard that the Challenge is the only one of the two worth taking the ferry. Let us know how you like it, I will be returning in a few months and plan on making the trip.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1364760430' post='6731841']
[/quote]

I have heard that the Challenge is the only one of the two worth taking the ferry. Let us know how you like it, I will be returning in a few months and plan on making the trip.
[/quote]
Respectfully disagree with this. Koele is just as good, IMO better, than manele. Just love that course.

Maybe I'll try n play both, it's one price to play unlimited for me at either course. Is Royal Kaanapali not worth playing? I have heard only good things and I was really lookin forward to playin a RTJ Sr. layout. I always hit up Kapaula as I am staying there, even tho the course is wide open the views are jaw dropping and love the overall service I receive soon as I am coming up the driveway. I am trying to charter a boat as I have some connects on the island, can anyone tell me the length of the boat ride time wise or an about time? Looks wise shouldn't take more than 30 min to get to Lanai. After lookin on the site I'm not a huge Norman golf course fan but am going to try n make my time count as I will be a single and should b able to breeze thru each course alone in less that 2 n half hours. Anyway I will let you guys kno what I think and write a lil overall experience at each course so that way many more will kno where to play based on my opinion....aloha!!!

Adidas-Coach-Versace

[quote name='Judge Smales' timestamp='1364781401' post='6733865']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Respectfully disagree with this. Koele is just as good, IMO better, than manele. Just love that course.
[/quote]

Spot on as far as i'm concerned. Been quite lucky as I've spent many vacations with my wife (including proposal, honeymoon) and the Experience is just a fantastic golf course- prefer it over the Challenge (aside from some views)...

Bonus is that often times it gets very little play- whatever pace you decide upon is usually what works.

Have a great time!!

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1364829949' post='6736687']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Spot on as far as i'm concerned. Been quite lucky as I've spent many vacations with my wife (including proposal, honeymoon) and the Experience is just a fantastic golf course- prefer it over the Challenge (aside from some views)...

Bonus is that often times it gets very little play- whatever pace you decide upon is usually what works.

Have a great time!!
[/quote]

Maybe I got the two mixed up, like I said I "heard". I have not played either but am planning to make the trip in a few months.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1364830257' post='6736721']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1364829949' post='6736687']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Have a great time!!
[/quote]

Maybe I got the two mixed up, like I said I "heard". I have not played either but am planning to make the trip in a few months.
[/quote]

It's quite possible, rather believable actually, that's what's been said. The views nearly everywhere while playing the Challenge are spectacular and often times you've got those who walk away from the round with that and only that impression. Nothing wrong with that- you know how that happens...

Playing the Experience often times doesn't feel like Hawaii golf. Temps can be 20• cooler, it's got a rainforest feeling going on (for a lack of a better description), different grass, greens are not grainy...

It's just...different. As far as I'm concerned, on a really good way. It's got some really solid holes, challenging but fair. At the end of the day, people will differ on their preferences but I'd be beyond shocked if you took the trip and after finishing saying, "Not worth it"...

Well just talked to my travel agent and I plan on takin the ferry which is $30 each way so $60 for overall trip and $225 to play and $50 for replay which I can use on the other course. Grand total should be around $400 with lunch and or breakfast which isn't bad. I plan on now playing both cause takin a 45 min boat ride I might as well spend the day at Lanai and take in all it has to offer. Anyone please let me kno if Royal is worth playing, I got a deal for early Sunday morning for only $100 bucks being a PGA Member...I might ditch playing Plantation for the day at Lanai as I have other activities planned with the family. Thanx again guys for all the info I'm really lookin forward to the trip to Lanai as I'm sure it will be a awesome experience.

Adidas-Coach-Versace

I haven't played on Lanai, but I imagine the aesthetics will be more dramatic than anything on Maui outside of the Plantation. The courses in Wailea are more "resort" oriented. I did enjoy playing the Gold. Great conditions, variety of holes and a nice isolated island feeling. The service and amenities are great there as well. One thing to note is the wind is generally less severe in Wailea vs. what ya get in Kapalua. Makena should be worth playing as well after the renovation. They had 36 holes there, then the course got sold and kept only 18 holes. Not sure if the renovation will turn the place back to 36 holes or if they'll focus on 18 and develop the rest of the land. Either way, it's a great setting with plenty of ocean/mountain views and a few oceanside holes.

Well I was really lookin forward to playin Royal Kaanapali as RTJ Sr. is one of my favorite designers but I dumped my time and booked Plantation and both Lanai courses. I still might hit up Royal just to play it to see if I can shoot under par there as all RTJ Sr. courses are very tough with tough green complexes. I got a deal being a PGA member for free at Lanai just gotta pay the boat ride and food so should be a killer day and hope I play some good golf. Thanx again fellaz makes my plannin so much better with opinions and reviews...

Adidas-Coach-Versace

[quote name='mauiman' timestamp='1364674071' post='6726621']
I would skip the Royal Kaanapali and Wailea Gold. If you can, take the boat over to Lanai and play both of those courses. One of my favorite things to do by far.
[/quote]
[quote name='swats' timestamp='1364902784' post='6742745']
Mauigolfshop.com has a deal for both lanai courses plus ferry for $309.
[/quote]

Great advice above. by the way the whole family might enjoy Lanai as a day trip. I love Maui! Be sure to eat at Mama's!

[quote name='SkyyDesigns' timestamp='1364959355' post='6748983']
Well I was really lookin forward to playin Royal Kaanapali as RTJ Sr. is one of my favorite designers but I dumped my time and booked Plantation and both Lanai courses. I still might hit up Royal just to play it to see if I can shoot under par there as all RTJ Sr. courses are very tough with tough green complexes. I got a deal being a PGA member for free at Lanai just gotta pay the boat ride and food so should be a killer day and hope I play some good golf. Thanx again fellaz makes my plannin so much better with opinions and reviews...
[/quote]

Good choices and great deal! I played Plantation the first week in March and it was in great shape. Unfortunately it was the only round I had in Maui. Also, from what we could see from the highway, the Kaanapali course looked a bit burned out so i wouldn't feel bad about skipping them.

Callaway Rogue Max LS, 10.5, Kai'li 65S
Titleist 913, 15, Diamana 95
Titleist 913HD, 18, Diamana 92HY
8-P Mizuno MP4, 3-7 MP64, C-Taper S
52-08, 58-08 Titleist SM8
Putter, Cleveland Classic #1, 34"

Finalized my plans for Maui golfin today and am really looking forward to playing some dope courses Thanx to you guys. Playin Lanai leavin on the ferry at 645am and playin both courses. Go to the range at Kapalua Bay then off to Plantation for another 36 holes. Anyone offer up some info on greens at both courses at Lanai? Only thing tough bout Kapalua is the greens as I'm used to bent n poa being from Northern Cali. Takes some time to get used too but should be good times n low scores...I wanna break par at Plantation as it owes me one after eagle on 9 I shot 73 last trip(started on back) with a unlucky double on 10 which was my first hole. Thanx again guys I'll do a write up based on what I think of Lanai for others in the same boat as I was.

Adidas-Coach-Versace

• 1 month later...

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, haven't read through the thread but if you want to save some serious dough...go up to the Plantation course and ask where 'the game' is that day. Moves all around Maui, but you used to be able to play the Kapalua courses for like $50+ skins money. I played in that game every time I went over there several years back.