2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='willboyrd' timestamp='1380467032' post='7927367']
Just received the g25 3 iron from my rep last week. Had same exact build specs as rest of the set and wow, the thing will seriously make you forget hybrids had ever been invented. Incredible. Phenomenally consistent and surprisingly lively as a fairway finder off the tee. The best part, no messy transition issues to hybrid that's more upright, longer, and has much lighter shaft.

Went head to head with the highly touted dHy and g25 won hands down. Both were built to identical specs. Same lie angle, length, shaft. DHy might've averaged 1.5mph more ball speed in the averages but just went way further offline, even on reasonably solid misses. G25 was so much more forgiving, in distance and directionally.

I might try ONE more hybrid with 100g graphite shaft of sorts because I know with the construction of hybrid, I should be able to hit it higher (lower/deeper cg) and further (hotter managing steel face inserts).
[/quote].
Did you compare them on the course or on a monitor?

I have been reading this thread and wanted to write my own review.

Background: I currently play to 1.5 index and have played TM MC irons with C-taper stiff shafts for going on my 3rd season. I have wear spots (browning) in the center of my irons. My iron play has been one of the strengths of my game for last few years. If I hit driver better I would stay as a plus handicap. I did just switch to G25 driver, fairway woods, and hybrids which seem to really help with my misses. I am not biased toward any company as I play whats best for me.

Ordered: Ping G25 4-PW wish S300 shafts blue dot. I was fitted by my local club guy and we tried the C-taper shaft but the results were very similar to the S300 so there wasn't a reason to spend more on the shafts. The reason for the switch was I wanted a club that if I had an off day I would still hit greens and minimize my bad shots. Fast forward, I played in the morning with current MC irons and played good shooting 76 with some good shots, just a few driving mistakes. My irons arrive via UPS and I put them in the bag for 18 more holes. First hole I'm 176 away and grab the 6 iron. First shot was a high spinny shot that comes up 10 yards short. I currently carry my 6 iron on average 180 yards off the ground. I proceed to play 18 holes with them consistently coming in at least a club short of my irons. All the irons are stronger lofts than my current MC irons, but they all flew WAY TOO HIGH and spun coming up short. I don't feel the sole width affected things as I hit down and compress the ball. After only 9 holes, I knew this was a horrible mistake. One of my playing partners said, commented saying those are horrible for you. I only played the one round with them but didn't need to hit them again to know they weren't for me. I'm not saying they are bad irons, but the head is very spinny and no matter what shaft I had in it I got the same results. I think for people struggling to get the ball up they are good, but it was not for me.

I am not trying to bash the G25 irons or Ping as I play their woods and hybrids. I tried low launching low spinning shafts in the G25 6 iron head when I was fitted but on course is the true test of any club. I liked the concept of GI for those off days but it was anything but bad for me. Feel free to respond to this, but giving my personal report.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+ Putter

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1380484638' post='7928407']
I have been reading this thread and wanted to write my own review.

Background: I currently play to 1.5 index and have played TM MC irons with C-taper stiff shafts for going on my 3rd season. I have wear spots (browning) in the center of my irons. My iron play has been one of the strengths of my game for last few years. If I hit driver better I would stay as a plus handicap. I did just switch to G25 driver, fairway woods, and hybrids which seem to really help with my misses. I am not biased toward any company as I play whats best for me.

Ordered: Ping G25 4-PW wish S300 shafts blue dot. I was fitted by my local club guy and we tried the C-taper shaft but the results were very similar to the S300 so there wasn't a reason to spend more on the shafts. The reason for the switch was I wanted a club that if I had an off day I would still hit greens and minimize my bad shots. Fast forward, I played in the morning with current MC irons and played good shooting 76 with some good shots, just a few driving mistakes. My irons arrive via UPS and I put them in the bag for 18 more holes. First hole I'm 176 away and grab the 6 iron. First shot was a high spinny shot that comes up 10 yards short. I currently carry my 6 iron on average 180 yards off the ground. I proceed to play 18 holes with them consistently coming in at least a club short of my irons. All the irons are stronger lofts than my current MC irons, but they all flew WAY TOO HIGH and spun coming up short. I don't feel the sole width affected things as I hit down and compress the ball. After only 9 holes, I knew this was a horrible mistake. One of my playing partners said, commented saying those are horrible for you. I only played the one round with them but didn't need to hit them again to know they weren't for me. I'm not saying they are bad irons, but the head is very spinny and no matter what shaft I had in it I got the same results. I think for people struggling to get the ball up they are good, but it was not for me.

I am not trying to bash the G25 irons or Ping as I play their woods and hybrids. I tried low launching low spinning shafts in the G25 6 iron head when I was fitted but on course is the true test of any club. I liked the concept of GI for those off days but it was anything but bad for me. Feel free to respond to this, but giving my personal report.
[/quote]

Great write up! I've seen some of these kind of reviews pop up that fall along same plot lines of your story. The key point to take away from this experience is the more drastic of a change your looking to make in equipment, such as switching club categories like this, the more the fitting process should be as exact and as exhausted as possible. Side by side comparison during Trackman or nFlight fitting with the same ball you game, to make certain that these glaring type of negative launch characteristics don't happen.

Cause lets be honest, over spinning the ball to the point of it being a club and a half shorter (factoring in loft differential) is about as poor a fit as possible. I understand these studios aren't always close, I live in central PA where there happens to be one facility close by with Trackman during winter months but I hate the staff so I traveled 2.5 hours south to a Ping nFlight studio, got reassurance on my entire bag and only cost me $100 and 7 total hours of my time on a non football Saturday. Just good for thought, btw, I came from TM TP MC's too, completely different swing though by the sounds of it.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

odshot 68

As a 1.5 index player it is obvious you know how to hit the ball and are knowledgable. The problem you are having is a shaft issue. DG shafts to C Taper are not as close as most people think. C Taper are lower spinning and firmer to flex, by almost 1/2 a flex. This has been documented in the club tech forum with CPM testing. For a lower launching shaft DG is noted for being high spin, not helping your situation.

I do apprieciate your review and the open honest report you gave, but those two shafts can be apples and oranges depending on ones swing. I own a set of MP 32 and Hogan Apex Plus with DGS 300 and a set of MP 53 / 63 combo with C Taper in stiff and those shaft are border line rebar compared to the DGs.

As a side note your TM MC are great irons, I have almost bought a set a few times, like I need more irons LOL

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

Had another amazing round last Sunday, shot a 78 and I am slowly getting down back to my 3 cap. The yardages are coming together as is getting use to the ball flight and the contacts. For me, the 150 and in, these G25 are more accurate than my S57s, its more consistent and the dispersion is STUPID ACCURATE...nearly dunking the ball for an eagle 109 out with an easy wedge. The 3 iron is one the easiest to hit 3 iron ever, easy off any surface...hardpan or grass...or when my F12 LS decides to go siesta on me.

As someone who reall HATED the "chunky for the punky" irons heads, I don't even see the size of the head anymore, just enjoying the outcome of the shot, after shot, after shot. Yeah, these irons can also bend the ball...161 out with a 6 iron, hit a cut and stopped the old XV ball 12 feet from a red flag hole well protected with a bunker in front. In theory, from where my ball tee ball landed on the right edge of the fairway, this was impossible. It was amazing and I really enjoyed that shot and enjoying my golf again.

Thanks for big tip on these irons. I suspect they will be in my bag for a long time.

PS Side story, my old pro had G25s with the KBS as well, could not stand them as he could not move the ball. Everything went straight. No probs here and I'll enjoy the gane with him next time :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[quote name='BirdieRoll' timestamp='1379647528' post='7881353']
Bought my 5-U G25 set in April and am really enjoying the clubs. Wanted to give props to these clubs for the knockdown shot. For those who play in a lot of wind or perhaps have to punch out from trees as a result of wayward drives, these clubs really deliver. I play the CFS R shaft and while it's a high launching shaft I've found you can also drive them low if needed with a typical punch shot.

I'm a picker so sometimes my shots (knockdown and regular) end up being "thin to win" but I'm always impressed with the forgiveness and minimal loss of distance.
[/quote]

Same experience here... I was really shocked how well you can flight these irons. I find the traj more workable and easier to find than my old i20's. amazing set. just amazing.

[quote name='rodney65' timestamp='1380677757' post='7940395']
Bought my 5-U G25 set in April and am really enjoying the clubs. Wanted to give props to these clubs for the knockdown shot. For those who play in a lot of wind or perhaps have to punch out from trees as a result of wayward drives, these clubs really deliver. I play the CFS R shaft and while it's a high launching shaft I've found you can also drive them low if needed with a typical punch shot.

I'm a picker so sometimes my shots (knockdown and regular) end up being "thin to win" but I'm always impressed with the forgiveness and minimal loss of distance.
[/quote]

Same experience here... I was really shocked how well you can flight these irons. I find the traj more workable and easier to find than my old i20's. amazing set. just amazing.
[/quote]

Hit a low fade under the trees the other day to which my opponent said loud enough to be heard across the fairway......."you gotta be kidding me"

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1380738215' post='7943161']
[quote name='rodney65' timestamp='1380677757' post='7940395']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hit a low fade under the trees the other day to which my opponent said loud enough to be heard across the fairway......."you gotta be kidding me"
[/quote]

I had a very similar experience ... at my club you HAVE to be able to hit punch shots from within the tree line. I was 150 yards out and directly behind a tree, could go right with a draw over water or left with a fade over greenside bunker. My old G10's would NOT fade the ball for me, at least not low. I opened my 5 iron clubface slightly, played the ball a bit back, and hit this beautiful punch fade which just kept rising after it went under the branches, attained a modest height, then dropped on the green for a routine two putt. My playing buddies just said wow, and I was suitably impressed as well.

Well I decided to go all in with the G25's. I was hitting I20's, then I decided to switch the 4-iron and 5-iron to G25. Now I have gone ahead and switched to G25 4-PW. I am still playing the I20 U, S and L wedges, but will probably swap at least the U wedge for sure, and maybe the others out as well. The G25's just feel so so so good. I20's felt great as well, but I feel a bit more confident with the G25's. My mishits with the G25 seem to leave me in better position than the I20's.

[quote name='leftyb' timestamp='1380899391' post='7952271']
Well I decided to go all in with the G25's. I was hitting I20's, then I decided to switch the 4-iron and 5-iron to G25. Now I have gone ahead and switched to G25 4-PW. I am still playing the I20 U, S and L wedges, but will probably swap at least the U wedge for sure, and maybe the others out as well. The G25's just feel so so so good. I20's felt great as well, but I feel a bit more confident with the G25's. My mishits with the G25 seem to leave me in better position than the I20's.
[/quote]

Cool.....S wedge is my fav club....as good as the i5. FWIW I just saw Phil using the old eye2 in Pres Cup.

Just ordered a set 5-pw and I find myself contemplating ordering the u s and l to match. Thoughts? I am a sweeper and a 7 hcp.

PING G400 Max 10.5º w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 X

PING G400 Max 14.5º w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 X

Callaway Apex 19 Pro Combo 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Ping Glide 4.0 52ºS, 56ºS, 60ºT w/ Z-Z115

TaylorMade Spider X 

Just ordered a set 5-pw and I find myself contemplating ordering the u s and l to match. Thoughts? I am a sweeper and a 7 hcp.

TaylorMade Spider X 

[quote name='andersi' timestamp='1381115311' post='7963277']
[/quote]

Unless you're some kind of sand save wizard try the Ping LW and SW out of the bunkers. That by itself earned them their spot in my bag.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1381138761' post='7963825']
[/quote]

Unless you're some kind of sand save wizard try the Ping LW and SW out of the bunkers. That by itself earned them their spot in my bag.
[/quote]

Hmmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,, I tend to use my SW FAR more often OUTSIDE the sand than in it. Not that I don't use a SW (with the appropriate bounce) that I CAN use out of the bunker but it's not my #1 priority,,,,,,,

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1381138761' post='7963825']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I dont usually play from the sand but I am also very sketchy out of the sand since there isnt a place near me to practice and I do not belong to a club.

TaylorMade Spider X 

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1381179453' post='7966543']
SW's fundamental duty is to get you out of bunkers. To overlook that factor is incomprehensible to me.

But maybe people don't hit into bunkers, dunno.
[/quote]

"Sounds" like you're referring to me.

I don't think I "overlooked" that factor at all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If you WEREN'T referring to me, my apologies in advance,,,,,,,,,,,

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[sup][size=5]Maybe I can help with some of the above questions. The SW is 54 degrees and the LW is 58 degrees. The LW is better suited for greenside bunkers. Personally, I bought my G25 set with gap at 50, and also SW and LW. These replaced my prior I-wedges.[/size][/sup]

[sup][size=5]I know some people like "specialty" wedges different than the rest of their irons, but I am liking the G25's all the way from 5 iron to the LW. And my index is 6.9 currently so I am not a star but certainly not a hacker either. My club has a mix of bunker conditions - some are deep and fluffy sand and some are thin sand over clay base (have not been refurbished yet). The G25 LW does a good job out of all the bunkers and is versatile - I just open the face (or not) and play the ball forward (or not) depending on the sand condition and distance to the pin. [/size][/sup]

[quote name='TNTlefty' timestamp='1381142741' post='7963859']
add me to the list of G25 converts (from ap2s).
5-P w/kbs tour + 52/58 CG16 raw tour issue wedges.
[i]i got the Uwedge with the set but haven't put it in play...[/i]

really solid 9 yesterday in cold/windy conditions - no looking back!
[/quote]

Welcome to the club........get ready for near perfect mis-hits and lots of KPs. I've hit everything out there (including AP2's with proj x) and these are the best mix of forgiveness and accuracy IMHO.

Make sure you give it a few weeks or more for max benefits....

[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1381191203' post='7967571']
[sup][size=5]Maybe I can help with some of the above questions. The SW is 54 degrees and the LW is 58 degrees. The LW is better suited for greenside bunkers. Personally, I bought my G25 set with gap at 50, and also SW and LW. These replaced my prior I-wedges.[/size][/sup]

[sup][size=5]I know some people like "specialty" wedges different than the rest of their irons, but I am liking the G25's all the way from 5 iron to the LW. And my index is 6.9 currently so I am not a star but certainly not a hacker either. My club has a mix of bunker conditions - some are deep and fluffy sand and some are thin sand over clay base (have not been refurbished yet). The G25 LW does a good job out of all the bunkers and is versatile - I just open the face (or not) and play the ball forward (or not) depending on the sand condition and distance to the pin. [/size][/sup]
[/quote]

+1....plus my 2c:

I'm using the G25 SW for chipping and a vokey 58 out of sand. Took a short game lesson and the pro told me to use the G25 8-9-W from the fringe because in his words, "you can't miss with these things". My problem had previously been stubbing the 58 or hitting it in the forehead. Takes getting used to but the SW is like butter.

I just finished my first round on the course with mine, and all I can say is wow...

I missed 1 green that I hit at with these today, and it was a mis-club. I hit the 5 iron about 8 yds short, middle of fairway. I could not tell how much wind we were in to and it was uphill, needed a 4. I hit 2 inside 5 feet ( missed 1 of the putts, lol). I suppose it may help a bit that this is the first set of irons I have ever been fitted for.

I could not be happier with my purchase. ( I hit my new XHP driver well today also).

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

[quote name='Warrick' timestamp='1381438498' post='7983117']
I just finished my first round on the course with mine, and all I can say is wow...

I missed 1 green that I hit at with these today, and it was a mis-club. I hit the 5 iron about 8 yds short, middle of fairway. I could not tell how much wind we were in to and it was uphill, needed a 4. I hit 2 inside 5 feet ( missed 1 of the putts, lol). I suppose it may help a bit that this is the first set of irons I have ever been fitted for.

I could not be happier with my purchase. ( I hit my new XHP driver well today also).
[/quote]

Glad they worked out so well for you and welcome to the club. My first round with them back in May I bounced two shots off the flag stick. Missed both birdie puts inside 7 feet, needed a G25 putter, LOL. These iron really are something special, have stopped me from hoing.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1381446161' post='7983749']

[/quote]

Glad they worked out so well for you and welcome to the club. My first round with them back in May I bounced two shots off the flag stick. Missed both birdie puts inside 7 feet, needed a G25 putter, LOL. These iron really are something special, have stopped me from hoing.
[/quote]

G25 putter is marketed under "Daddy Long Legs" name. For some silly marketing reason.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1381446634' post='7983781']
[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1381446161' post='7983749']

[/quote]

[/quote]

G25 putter is marketed under "Daddy Long Legs" name. For some silly marketing reason.
[/quote]

No actually it's the Craz-E. This is the only club in my bag I haven't ho'ed in 3 years. Point and shoot.

The super MOI mallet putters from Ping always look like they want to roll shut at address. Very weird.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0